KillgoreTrout On November - 2 - 2013

I haven’t paid much attention to politics this week, but I do know that the spin keeps spinning, the spies are still spying and the psychos are still shooting. Some things never change. I’ve reached an impasse on the political side of things and just have to say screw it, for now. Post your favorite songs and artists and be a DJ unto yourselves. You all have great taste in music, so have at it and have fun.

Lou Reed – Last Great American Whale In honor of the great Lou Reed. RIP

The Beatles – I Am The Walrus

The Rolling Stones – Sympathy For The Devil

Eurythmics – I Saved The World Today

Chet Baker – Almost Blue

Written by KillgoreTrout

Once a wander, working vagabond, fellow traveler on this 3rd stone from the sun. Hurtling through space and time. Lover of books (especially the classics), all kinds of books from novels, poetry, essay collections, fiction and nonfiction and a big Kurt Vonnegut fan. I am a secular humanist and technically an atheist.....Taoist.

1. Fly Like An Eagle Steve Miller Band

2. When Johnny Comes Marching Home

Maybe one day the very last soldiers will come marching home. It’s a nice dream, anyway.

We sang this at my high school graduation. “Let There Be Peace”

This is Gladys Knight’s version:

4. Nirek says:

Another with lyrics that haunt me.

You may want to fast forward through the lengthy intro to this to get to the truly lovely rendition of Lili Marlene by June Tabor. Sweet and simple:

6. Nirek says:

Country Joe. Listen to the words carefully, they are prophetic.

7. Nirek says:

KT, you made me find another anti war song.

Here’s a snappy campaign song that was used in the Lincoln campaign of 1860. A lot of the lyrics are still pretty relevant!

(Sorry, this was one that would only allow me to post the link. The usual “insert the v” trick didn’t work on it.)

9. Evolution -- Tree of Life

Continuing on the history theme, here is a collection of photographs of child soldiers who fought in the Civil War, with the well known tune, Danny Boy, in the background. Haunting faces:

• Nirek says:

So young looking. Child soldiers.

We had one guy in Nam who was only 17. He was killed by a booby trap. Broke my heart, he was called “Baby San” because he looked even younger than he was.

War should never happen.

So true, Nirek. All that potential. We’ll never know how those young lives might have played out, had things gone differently. Such a loss.

11. The Tree of Life -- Lacrimosa

KT -- I think that the movie, “Tree of Life” is one of the most underrated films in recent times. It explores with such an incisive, earnest way and with such a wonderful texture, human life, psychology and family.

And the incredible segment showing the creation of existence and life is groundbreaking.

Saw it again last month, just amazing. Thanks for the video to remind me!

• Ad, I absolutely agree. It’s really sort of a one of a kind film. It got mixed reviews and some even walked out of the original test screening. It’s definitely not the same old cops and robbers, car chases, huge explosions…etc. It’s not a sappy feel good love story, or it’s opposite, the classic tear jerker.

Tree of Life is one of my favorite films, because of it’s subject matter and it’s complete uniqueness. I thought it had a definite Taoist nature about it. The choosing between “grace,” or “nature.” I personally think they are not exactly opposites and I think the film really did well in showing that.

The film also mirrored several aspects of my own upbringing. The constant tension, the strict father, the more easy going mother and the joyous feelings of freedom that the father’s absence created. Just a superb film.

12. Coming Back To Me -- The Jefferson Airplane

This is very far from being current. I just discovered it. But as a “history nut” I fell in love with it immediately.

It’s an 85 year old Civil War veteran singing a song about the experience of having been a soldier. There’s something so intimate and touching about it that I wanted to share it: