Chernynkaya On March - 13 - 2011

You can now access the current and past editions of The Daily Planet on the green Category bar on the top of each page under the heading Planet POV.

_____________________________________________________________________________

TAKE ACTION

American Red Cross Responding to Japan Earthquake and Pacific Tsunami

Other Places to Donate for Japan

FAIR’s Media Contact List

Let your voice be heard! Talk back to the media. Tell them how you feel about the lack of coverage of the many protests happening across America.

POLITICAL CARTOONS

UNIONS

Up to 100,000 protest Wisconsin law curbing unions

Reuters:

* Bigger protest than during Vietnam era, police estimate

* Wisconsin battle has ignited national struggle

[…]

Restrictions on public sector unions have been introduced in a number of other U.S. states with Republican governors, including Indiana, Ohio, Iowa, Michigan and Florida. Some Democrats see it as the opening salvo of the 2012 presidential election because unions are the biggest single contributors to the Democratic Party.

PHOTOS OF CROWD:

THE CHANT:  http://yfrog.com/nyawaz

WISCONSIN PROTEST SIGNS

More>>>

Union Bill Is Law, but Debate Is Far From Over

Stuff you don’t hear about:

12K people were in Austin, TX today protesting a planned $10B cut to public schools http://yfrog.com/h0r1lndj

AND IN OTHER NEWS…

New View of How Humans Moved Away From Apes

Urge to Own That Clapton Guitar Is Contagious, Scientists Find

VIDEO

Encore Presentation (H/T to Haruko Haruhara)

The Nastyass Honey Badger (Narrated by Randall)

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r7wHMg5Yjg

Talking Cat

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCbI-j7FnkQ

Another favorite oldie:

Amazing Sand Art on Ukraine’s Got talent – Kseniya Simonova

The writing at the end says, “You are always near.”

QUOTE OF THE DAY:

“He who sees the calamity of other people

finds his own calamity light”

~~ Arab proverb

Categories: The Daily Planet

Written by Chernynkaya

I am an artist and have lived in Los Angeles all of my life, except for a brief hippie period when I lived in SF. I am currently (semi-unwillingly) retired, but have had several careers.

1. Truth says:

WISKOCHSIN IS OPEN FOR BUSINESS

HA!

• Chernynkaya says:

Truth--it was brilliant. I like this pic too:

[img]?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1300067688&Signature=ANZOaub8OiXFDv8n3lJqWTvXCs0%3D[/img]

I’m calling it “Mad Cap.”

• Truth says:

Sadly, it didn’t post. But I watched them on Daily Kos. I try to post one of them:

[img][/img]

***Edit: Nah, also not. It said: Bullying is not a character trait that I teach.

Another: If you think education is expensive, try ignorance!

2. KillgoreTrout says:

Cher, I am literally stunned by the sand art video. Simply wonderous! That girl is a genius. Beethoven in sand. Thank you so much for posting that video. I am just blown away right now.

• Truth says:

Thanks for alerting me to watch it, Killgore. Really a stunning artist!

• Chernynkaya says:

Killgore--that was exactly my reaction to it too! Blew me away. I have never seen anything remotely like that. And aside from the unique medium, she is a wonderful artist in it--so say nothing of the message!

3. SequimBob2 says:

Cher, thanks for providing the selection of Wisconsin photographs. They made my day. I hope the demonstrations are a sign of recognition that there really is a difference between Republican and Democrat and that a severe and long-term case of Buyer’s Remorse has set in.

4. escribacat says:

So do we have a nuclear meltdown or not? Do we have several? I don’t know anything about nuclear power plants but it seems to me they should “know” whether or not there’s been a meltdown, shouldn’t they? The wild range of news reports on this topic is quite disturbing — it’s impossible to find out what’s really going on. Here’s a sample from this morning:

CNN
    Workers scramble to cool reactors; official says 2nd blast possible
    First para: Japanese efforts to prevent a nuclear meltdown by flooding reactors with seawater are a last-ditch attempt, but do not mean that a nuclear tragedy is imminent, experts said Sunday.

NY Times
    Nuclear Crisis Spreads to 4th Plant — Partial Meltdowns Presumed at Crippled Reactors

Associated Press
    10K dead in Japan amid fears of nuclear meltdowns — Nuclear plant operators worked frantically to try to keep temperatures down in several reactors crippled by the earthquake and tsunami, wrecking at least two by dumping sea water into them in last-ditch efforts to avoid meltdowns. Officials warned of a second explosion but said it would not pose a health threat.

BBC News
    Japan crisis ‘worst since WWII’
    First para: It appears that a partial meltdown did occur in reactor 1.

Fox
    Partial Meltdown Possible at Japan Nuclear Plant as Death Toll Estimates Rise to 10,000

LA Times
    The Kyodo News Agency was reporting early Monday that a cooling system pump had stopped at the Tokai No. 2 nuclear power plant in Ibaraki prefecture. The same issue sparked the problems that have befallen the Fukushima reactors.

Workers there were using seawater Sunday in a desperate attempt to cool down three damaged nuclear reactors. One of the reactors lost its outer shell in a hydrogen blast Saturday and another was under threat of doing the same, said the country’s chief Cabinet secretary, Yukio Edano.

Kyodo News Agency
    Over 10,000 deaths feared in quake-tsunami, nuclear crisis continues 2nd para: Japanese authorities scrambled to control overheating reactors at the quake-hit Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant,

Xinhua News Agency (Chinese)
    The No. 3 reactor at the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant is seen in this still image taken from NHK news program on March 13, 2011. Tokyo Electric Power Co., the utility supplier, notified the government early Sunday morning that the No. 3 reactor at the No. 1 Fukushima plant had lost the ability to cool the reactor core. The reactor is now in the process of releasing radioactive steam, according to top government spokesman Yukio Edano. (Xinhua/NHK)

Al Jazeera English
    Meltdown fears at Japanese reactors
    State of emergency declared at one plant and fears of partial meltdown at another in wake of deadly quake and tsunami.

• Chernynkaya says:

E’cat-- I think--and as you show it is terribly confusing--that there was a partial meltdown. (If that’s possible, and I am as ignorant as the next person.) I have learned not to trust the initial news outlets and try to find out what the Japanese are saying. I was in Hong Kong during a quake in California. On the international news, it reported that it was a disaster. I was frantic--called home only to have my husband say, “That earthquake ruined ONE building and part of that building fell on one car.” I honestly don’t know who to believe at this stage, but form what I gather, there is higher radiation but not lethal.

And as an FYI, just so people understand, Daily Planet purposely doesn’t put up any international news stories, as they are redundant to the Morning Blog. (NOT being critical of you, but I just wanted to clarify-Hope you understand.)

• escribacat says:

Cher, that is a good point. I was in the 89 quake in SF and I remember watching the local news and then switching to the national news. National news made it look ten times worse. I was pretty shocked. I am just wondering why they don’t seem to know whether they have a meltdown or not and/or if there are more than one. I guess what I’m thinking is that they’re not telling us anything.

And yes, I understand the Daily Planet vs Morning Blog. Makes sense. I’m a fan of both and I appreciate (admire) the amount of work it must take to put these together every day — for both you and Kalima. You’re starting to be my go-to source of news.

5. jkkFL says:

How remarkable the human brain.
    We follow current events- eliciting sympathy for our friends in Japan and their unspeakable suffering. We process the struggles of freedom, here and abroad. We organize to provide for the poor and hungry, as we are able.
    We create art to pay tribute to those objects we find beautiful. We disagree and debate issues, while keeping in sight there are many ways to ‘do something correctly.’
    We cherish what is important and overlook flaws in that which we love.
    We appreciate art, music, dance- all things that reflect our higher selves.
    And at the end of the day, we listen to a cat ‘speak’ to us..

• Chernynkaya says:

jkk-- what a great comment. That put it in a wonderful perspective! Love it. All I can say is: “Long John Johnson!” 😯

• escribacat says:

My cat makes noises like that when he’s getting ready to erp.

• choicelady says:

When she’s trying to get rid of a hairball, mine sounds more as if she is trying to speak Danish…

• choicelady says:

Actually, now I think of it, she makes the same noise the weird cartoon cat “spoke” in Bloom County.

Do different breeds of cats have different languages? I have an American short hair that more or less croaks and occasionally screeches and a Maine Coon Cat that warbles. The short hair hates the Maine. Is it that they don’t speak the same language? She DID take to an unrelated male cat that looked and sounded exactly like her.

Is there a Berlitz on “Cat”?

6. escribacat says:

Great protest pix, Cher. I did a quick “Rashomon” survey of the coverage yesterday.

Wisconsin State Journal
    Tens of thousands of union supporters descend on Capitol for fourth straight Saturday

Chicago Tribune
    War of words heats up as protesters march in Wisconsin

LA Times
    Senators return, join Wisconsin protest

Fox News
    Lawmakers Refusing to Play Ball With Budget Bill

msnbc
    Wisconsin labor protesters refuse to quit

CNN, Denver Post & Miami Herald
    buried or not mentioned

Huffington Post
    Obama Shies Away From Union Protests

7. choicelady says:

In the midst of horror in Japan, of thugs trying to destroy working people everywhere, the cat that talks is just wonderful! I had one that “spoke” in sounds that were easily interpreted as “words” -- told him to stop doing something, and he stalked away muttering. We SWORE he said, “Rats!” It is part of the bond that we interpret them so much in our own terms, but it IS a bond. And a great laugh! Thank you, Cher -- that was much appreciated!