KQµårk 死神 On January - 15 - 2010

Save for live music, first there was radio and recorded analog music.

Then after decades digital music came along and has changed the way we experience music forever.

There are just an unbelievable, at least when I was young I could not imagine, number of ways we receive music these days including; cable TV, satellite TV and music radio, internet music radio, the torrents,etc.  Even the devices we listen to music on these days, i-pods, cell phones, media servers offer such a wide array of music listening possibilities.

Some of the best sources of music I have found on the web besides the obvious like YouTube and DailyMotion are as follows:

Live365.com (Thousands of independent online music stations with every genres of music you can imagine.  I play live365 stations almost every day on my media servers that are attached to my entertainment systems.)

Pandora Radio (Where you can set up your own online radio station based on specific artists and musical genres.  I love my Pink Floyd and Yoko Kanno stations for example.  This is an app on my phone as well.)

Video2MP3 (An incredible web based tool that takes YouTube videos and converts them to MP3.  I already took a bunch of videos people have posted over time and collected them and burned a couple CDs with them.)

Playlist.com (Another unbelievable site where you can set up your own play list from hundreds of artists and thousands of songs.  Sometimes I set up my play and just listen all day long when I’m online.)

BBC Radio (My favorite online radio site not just for music but for news, comedy and mysteries as well.  Kalima turned me on to their programming.)

These are just a few of my favorites mostly because they are all free to use.  Sure they all have ads and sponsors but so few sites do and they are a minor inconvenience.  I’ve excluded many mainstream and all pay sites because they tend to have more limitations and ties to corporate interests.

Here are a few videos I’ve converted to MP3s to get us rolling.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5t99bpilCKw[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCaPno7QChY[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK0GgLKUU_I[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcTgYytU68E[/youtube]

Written by KQµårk 死神

My PlanetPOV contact is kquark@planetpov.com Proud Dem whose favorite hobby is cat herding. The GOP is not a political party, it's a personality disorder. Cancer, Heart Failure and Bush Survivor.

1. Hopeington says:

CoCo Tea doing
    Barack Obama

2. PepeLepew says:

Um [shuffles feet], no one minds if I post some Melvins, do they?

3. Hopeington says:

Noticed KQuarks Japanese Ska…thought I’d throw this Fanastic little number out there…Coffia by
    Mute Beat
    Real Japenese Ska at it’s finest!!!

at about 2:22 this bass player just falls into the beat!!

In this digital age, too many times people decry autotuning and misunderstand sampling is fine -- when it is a sampling or make puritanical claims that organic is best. In any case, in the digital age, if you have a good laptop and shell out money for Pro Tools (and musical composition talent helps a great deal!), the boundaries can be pushed. This is what the digital age has done for music itself.

Fischerspooner -- Sweetness

Embedding disabled, and Dailymotion sound quality sucked. Brilliant video.

Do this, though there’s another audio version I like better.

VNV Nation -- Legion (Live)

There is no fast rule that electronica can’t be thoughtful.

By the way, someone posted episodes of a show canceled a long time ago that I grew up with. At about midnight or 1 AM, the local channel would play a show with the craziest music -- not on MTV (most definitely not!) -- and long, long before YouTube. It is to a great deal to “blame” for who I am today. Bohemian Afterdark.

The wonders of YouTube!

5. FlyingLotus says:

The woofers are pouting something fierce.What don’t they get about being fed, housed, loved, walked all at no expense to them?

Kalima, what’s up with me not being able to reply to your last response?
    Is that God’s way of preventing inter-linguistic relations?

He’s a quirky and irregular entity.

I’ve heard bran is good for that.

Nite, all.

6. KQuark says:

So it turns out God is just a slob like one of us.

Well, it may not be music but as long as we’re “praising God”:

“Oh Lord, ooh you are so big! So absolutely huge. Gosh, we’re all really impressed down here, I can tell you.”

• FlyingLotus says:

LMAO!The genius of Monty Python is hard to transcend.

• KQuark says:

😆 don’t get me going on movie quotes. I’ve been playing with soundboard apps on my new phone and I forgot how many great lines there where by the gunnery sergeant in “Full Metal Jacket”. I was laughing so much I almost pulled out my sutures listening to a few.

Another great thing about the YouTube age? I can discover new music from around the world! About a year ago I started dabbling in Chalga. From Wikipedia:

a style of music in Bulgaria and Macedonia … a blend of Bulgarian, Arabic, Turkish, Greek, and Roma (Gypsy) influences, as well as motifs from even flamenco and klezmer music.

I’ve kept coming back to this one like a moth to the flame in the past week:

Mira -- Ostavete Ni Na Mira

(Cameo of Bulgarian megastar and gay icon Azis. Google translator says song title means “Leave us alone” -- really?)

8. KQuark says:

Another amazing thing they are doing now is digitally remastering old videos. Here is one of my favorite videos from the 80s which should be no surprise to anyone.

Thomas Dolby -- She Blinded Me With Science (2009 Digitally Remastered)

Sorry but the link cannot be embedded.

Adlib: Heh!

9. KQuark says:

And now for something completely different. Rush like you never heard it. (the band not the blowhard)

10. FlyingLotus says:

I wish I could hang out longer, long day.The woofers are demanding a cuddle and a movie.Little buggers!

So I leave ya’ll with Jose James, an incredible talent!I played “The Dreamer” during the primaries often.Check it out and you’ll understand why.

But tonight it’s this one.I think I’m in lurrrrv..

• PatsyT says:

Wonderful, much appreciated FlyingLotus

• KQuark says:

Wonderful song and performance.

• FlyingLotus says:

Ok, I’m tech challenged.Came up as a link and not how you guys post.I’m sooo uncool and 20th century!

Also forgot to thank you, KQuark, for all the amazing links you provided.

Happy New Year everyone!

All fixed FlyingLotus and hi, how are you?

• FlyingLotus says:

Gutenstien, I just wish there was more time in the day and evening for everything.

Insert googlie eyed emoticon!

Hope all’s well in your world..

Long time no see, that’s for sure and I know exactly what you mean about 24 hours not being enough in one day sometimes.

Life goes on in Old Edo, a week seems like day when you are busy. Hubby travels abroad a lot and the kitties are the terrors they have always been.

I hope that it’s not all work for you and that you take time to have some fun.

Take care and look forward to seeing more of you in the future.

• FlyingLotus says:

No of course not but finding the balance is, well, a balancing act.

Sometimes, I just make like a repub and stomp my feet..”Me!Me!Me!”

Ha!

I must have that problem too, I stomp my feet a lot these days. I’m supposed to be growing calmer not crazier, yes the balance is hard to find.

One of my favourite Japanese musicians of all time. Kitaro.

Song for Peace.

• KQuark says:

Wow truly wonderful I’m listening to the second composition now. What a combination of traditional, modern, Western and Eastern styles to make one beautiful sound. I really enjoy it.

There was a time I used to listen to his albums every day, it helped me relax and think clearly. For some reason I don’t listen to as much music as I used to, maybe it’s because since I started this silly dizzy illness, headphones make the room spin like a top.

Listening to Kitaro now, his music still feels fresh. I really must try to relax a bit more this year.

VOX POPULI IS ABOUT TO BEGIN! CLICK HERE TO GO THERE:

13. nicole473 says:

Another great piano man.

Um, apparently I forgot how to post a vid correctly. Could someone please remind me?

v=lBWqiFIfflI

14. PepeLepew says:

KQuark, you just made me think of something.

In my first car, a 1970 Buick Skylark, I had an 8-track and AM/FM

In my second car, a small pickup, I had a cassette deck and AM/FM

In my third car, a little Toyota pickup, I just had an AM/FM because I was sick and tired of my cars getting broken into.

In my brand new car, I got an AM/FM, XM satellite, CD player *and* iPod dock. I got more choices now than I know what to do with.