AdLib On March - 9 - 2013

protest.span

This weekend’s music thread is a first for us, an Adlib/Killgore Trout collaboration! Enjoy!

FROM ADLIB:

The call went out this week during a rare talking filibuster for people to “Grandstand with Rand” or something like that. So this weekend’s thread is dedicated to talking and the American way of standing up and speaking out for what you believe in, whether you’re conscientious or wear a toupee made of poodle fur.

Something to Talk About – Bonnie Rait

Talk to You Later – The Tubes

A Hard Rain’s Gonna Fall – Bob Dylan

For What It’s Worth – Buffalo Springfield

Bushleaguer – Pearl Jam

============================================

FROM KILLGORE TROUT:

This weekend’s music thread is about talking and walking inspired by Rand Paul’s 13 hour filibuster, the talking kind, against John Brennan’s nomination for CIA Director. Walking the walk means doing what you talk about. Post songs about walking and songs about talking or songs about both.

The Coasters–Yakety Yak

Suggested by Sally

Everybody’s Talkin–Harry Nilsson

Jeff Beck and Imelda May–Walking In the Sand

Joe Walsh–Walk Away

Jonny Lang~ Walking Away

Categories: Music Thread

1. Dire Straits -- Walk Of Life

A little late, but I just thought of it.

2. SueInCa says:

Telephone
    Lady Gaga Featuring Beyonce’

3. SueInCa says:

Maroon 5 -- Payphone ft. Wiz Khalifa

4. SueInCa says:

Dirty Laundry
    Don Henley -- Studio version

5. SueInCa says:

Bruno Mars
    Talking to the Moon

6. SueInCa says:

Step Brothers -- Will Ferrell sings Something to Talk About

7. Simon and Garfunkel ~ The Dangling Conversation

• SueInCa says:

They put together a hit parade of music. We saw a special on them a few years ago and it was really good. I was not originally sure about Paul Simon on his own but he did not disappoint. Good pick KT.

8. AlphaBitch says:

And last but not least, a rough live shot of Harper Valley PTA sung by Austinites Bruce Robison & Kelly Willis. Dedicated to that hypocritical group of Repubs, and showing why I love Texas:

9. AlphaBitch says:

And from Ms. Marcia Ball, a live performance Big Mouth Louella. And for the record, Marcia is a friend and she TRULY hates gossip of all types.

10. AlphaBitch says:

My thought after watching the gRANDstanding: Talk about Suffering -- Ricky Skaggs. Very well done -- a cappella and dedicated to CL, Kalima and Kes.

Frennie, I don’t know how you do it, but you can nail it every time when it comes to music.

I skimmed through some of the Vox transcript from Friday night and I have to ask: howzat back of yours? Better I hope?

• AlphaBitch says:

Hi Frennie!!!! My back is fine now. I had catch up work at work and home to do. Then the Blov got some mystery virus for 48 hours; he spiked a high fever -- thought it was flu, wasn’t -- and I stayed up for 2 nights to watch he didn’t go into a seizure (happened once 2 years ago and scared me to death).

We’ll do a long catch up email soon. So much to share, so little time to do it. xo AB

11. The Bangles — Walk like an Egyptian