Kalima On December - 30 - 2009

images-4Good morning everyone. We hope that this will be the place you come to when you wake up early before you leave for work. The place you visit when you wake up late or just a place to meet and chat in between breaks from serious topics and discussions.

Feel free to talk about your interesting news story finds, your funny stories, photos or a slice of your lives. This is your space, come here to relax and unload. We welcome you with open arms. Enjoy.

BTW this blog is open to one and all, not only the early risers. It will be moved to “Speakers Corner” at 9 am EST every day and return to the front page every morning at 5 am EST.

Bearing in mind that weekends are a time for catching up with family matters and a long awaited extra hour or so under the warm bedcovers, I’ve decided that “Morning Blog” will run on weekdays from Mondays through Fridays at the same time as stated above. Thanks a bunch.

Because of time zones and other tiny things, I can’t put this MB on the Home Page, forgive me, you know where to find me, right?

Written by Kalima

Long time resident of Tokyo --- "Where is this woman I once knew so well? Memories fading or hurtling by like a howling wind at a speed I can't fathom or define. A star hangs like a teardrop from her eye, quivering but never falling. I search the empty corridors of my soul in hopes of catching just another glimpse of who she once presumed herself to be. Where is this woman who trod with such certainty, where is she now? I mourn her passing as another dawn breaks in my restless heart."

1. Emerald1943 says:

Good morning, all you beautiful PlanetPeople!

Jeeebus, it’s cold! 12 degrees here right now with high winds. Chill factors are clearly in the “minus” department! My furnace is running non-stop! Dog, I hate to see the gas bill this month!

Just a mention…I am so proud of my son! He lives in east Tennessee, definitely NOT a democratic stronghold. He received a piece of email from one of his less-liberal friends that is nothing but pure rethug propaganda about social security. He wrote the guy a scathing retort, something about “republican bullshit” that is not based on facts.

I know this is not an important story, but you must understand…my son usually gives me the “Mom, you can’t do a damned thing about it” line when I try to discuss politics with him. His attitude is that his blood pressure goes up every time he thinks about it and he just doesn’t want to discuss it…whatever “it” happens to be at the time. This was a HUGE departure from his usual attitude! I am such a proud mama! :-) I’ve raised a “commie pinko”, liberal, socialist, Marxist, communist son! (wipes a tear of joy!)

I trust you all are well and happy! Now, what’s up this morning??

• abby4ever says:

Hi Emerald. What a happy, chirpy little post you have done!

• Emerald1943 says:

Good mornin’, Abby! Glad to see you! I guess my “chirpy-ness” is a bit of a departure from my usual bitchin’ and moanin’ about the gub-mint! It’s just that my son’s email to his friend was just so spot-on!
        I probably should copy the original email and post it…stuff about illegal aliens collecting SS checks, and how we are going to be taxed, etc., etc. Same ol’ sh*t, different day!

There was a quotation, credited to Thomas Jefferson, at the end of that email.

“If the government is large enough to give you everything you want, they are powerful enough to take everything you have.”

I’ve not researched this one…never seen it before now. You?

• abby4ever says:

No I haven’t seen it before, it’s clever. Yes, post your son’s email to his friend if he doesn’t mind.

It’s quiet right now. Just getting ready to go do some shopping (just food), waiting for hubby to get home. When it’s early morning/mid-day(UK time) this site is like a tomb.

So your happy posts are most welcome!

{{{chirp-chirp}}}

• Emerald1943 says:

I cannot imagine going out the door today. It is bitter cold here. The wind is howling and the chill factor is waaaay below zero! How about picking me up some bread and milk while you’re out?? :-)

• abby4ever says:

We’re up in Gretna now, we always spend the tail end of our Christmas holidays up here. My husband’s grandmother has a cottage here that is a proper little English cottage like the kind you see in books, thatched roof, etc. There is supposed to be 10 inches of snow tonight but they always lie. I mean the weather people. Still, the sky looks to be that milky grey color that happens right before snow. It’s about 24 degrees here. And outside the front window, the ground is covered with blackbirds, they are everywhere and we don’t know why.

2. javaz says:

For any football fans that might be out there this morning, what do you think about coaches that pull their key players from games to avoid injury for the play-offs?
    The Colts had a winning season, but the decision to pull Manning and other key players to save them for the play-offs ended the Colts’ streak.
    Yesterday, the coaches for the Cardinals pulled Warner and others from the game for the same reason, which led to an embarrassing defeat.
    I can understand the reasons for pulling the star players, but once a team does that, the game is not worth watching.
    I wonder how the fans who fork over big bucks to see their team play feel about watching a blood-bath?
    Why even bother playing at that point?

Looks like NFL Commissioner, Roger Goodell, is questioning this practice, too.

• PepeLepew says:

I think the Cincinnati Bengals not only pulled their starters — I think they intentionally lost.

I also think it completely screws up my football pool! πŸ˜€

[Seriously, there was a *heated* discussion this morning among my pool members about whether all bets should be off for Week 17.]

• Emerald1943 says:

Hey javaz! I am a rabid NFL fan! Don’t even try to talk to me on Sunday afternoons or Monday nights! I always go through extreme withdrawal after the Super Bowl every year!

I can see both sides of this issue. The game has grown into a very violent contact sport, much more so than in years past. The players are bigger, heavier, faster, and stronger. The hits they give and take are incredibly powerful. Sometimes I wonder how these guys are able to get up after some of the hits they take.

I can hardly blame any coach for pulling his $40 million quarterback in a game that will have no meaning. I don’t like to see it either, but I believe that preventing a potentially serious injury today will give us a better game next week. It would be terrible to see a Tom Brady or a Peyton Manning seriously injured in a meaningless game, perhaps even ending their careers. It has happened, unfortunately, more than once! However, I don’t think it’s right to almost completely replace all the linemen, offensive or defensive. Those guys are more used to taking the hits. I really don’t see them in as much danger as the quarterbacks.

As much as we bitch and carp about it, it’s still all about the money! We will just have to put up with it.

And talking about a bloodbath, I am no Bengals fan but I actually felt sorry for them against the Jets! That was terrible!

• abby4ever says:

Hi javas. I think it’s one of the greatest dilemmas a coach could ever find himself in. You could call it the Cry Now/Play Later,Play Now/Cry Later, dilemma.

(I’ve heard it called worse but I can’t repeat it here…LOL !!!)

3. javaz says:

Good morning.
    Well, the new year has an interesting start --

In Plains, Georgia, home to Jimmy Carter, an Obama doll was hung in effigy and the Secret Service are investigating.

In New Mexico, and around the nation, there were anti-tax teabaggers protesting and the teabaggers were encouraged to bring their guns, which several did.

A retired US general is urging all Muslim men between certain ages be strip searched at airports.

• Tiger99 says:

Good Morning javaz!!! The tea bagger vid was disturbingly funny…

Here is anothe link to a Station in NM’s coverage… The harmless lil ole lady says ” I think there is a lot of people, myself included until about a “year ago that basiclly just trusted our Government and believed they were actually doing what was best for us”…

Translation: ” I never thought they would ever elect a Black Man as President in my lifetime”…

Good morning javaz. Having a bit of a problem posting the other MB, the one started the other day, bear with me please.

Hope that everyone is well?

Turning in for the night. I wish you all a good day and a good night from Tokyo.

Take care and be safe.

4. PepeLepew says:

TRP, true story. In 2004, I moved into a rental house in Oregon on Penn Ave. The day I moved in, I got a robocall for John Kerry. It was from Sean Penn! πŸ˜€

5. bitohistory says:

Some more history for this day:
    1968--“The bloodiest year of the war comes to an end. At year’s end, 536,040 American servicemen were stationed in Vietnam, an increase of over 50,000 from 1967.”
    “Allied losses were also up: 27,915 South Vietnamese, 14,584 Americans (a 56 percent increase over 1967), and 979 South Koreans, Australians, New Zealanders, and Thais were reported killed during 1968”

This was the year of the Tet Offensive. Still can’t figure out why I didn’t join. /sarc

6. SueInCa says:

Well, all you good people, I wish you all the very best New Year no matter how or when you celebrate it. I reluctantly have to close down for today to get some much neglected work done around here and to buy my grandson KFC for dinner tonight. We will have the roasted pieces, he will have crispy LOl. Anyway you all have a wonderful day and night.

7. bitohistory says:

WOW! This day in history: 1946--President Truman officially proclaimed the end of hostilities in World War II.

Wonder he he strutted around on an aircraft carrier with a “Mission Accomplished” banner flying?

• SueInCa says:

Yeah, he did but instead of San Diego, he performed his feat in Newport News VA…………..and his was legitimate LOL

• Emerald1943 says:

You have to remember that Harry Truman was no great, brave combat pilot like the Shrub (snark, snark). And then there’s that other little fact that the Japanese sank most all our carriers at Pearl Harbor. Harry didn’t have one handy…no place to hang the banner! What a pity! He could have confirmed his legacy right then and there! :-)

• SueInCa says:

You mean the Shrub who transferred out of Texas National Guard because he was a lame duck and only appeared in Alabama or Georgia to go to a dentist appointment, you mean that Shrub?

8. TheRarestPatriot says:

Hey all! I just got a phone call from a Republican think-tank (oxymoron)trying to scare the hell out of Americans over the ‘Pelosi-run, Democrat healthcare take over.’ He asked if I thought it was ‘fair’ to have this illegal bill forced down our throats!(whereupon a I made a witty reference to a Federally paid ENT doc to take a look at our throats after) The remark tripped up the script reader for a moment and then he proceeded with the GOP talking points. He finished by reminding me that the GOP only needed 40 seats to ‘right the wrongs’ of the last Democrat stolen election (I kid you not!) Then down to brass tax…literally. He asked if he could count on my $40 donation (that’s $1 a seat) to their party to get the ‘Right’ party back in office! I, of course, wished him well on his calls, but would be declining the ‘offer’ to buy back the seats.
    Has anyone else got this call today? I am rather impressed with the GOP to get the word AND the fear out so early! Boy, we Libs really need to take an aggressive page from the GOP playbook for almost threatening our listeners into submission. Haha~
    They are out already, gang….it’s only going to get worse from here on out. Yet, I was gracious and refrained from:

A: Laughing hysterically considering I lose ALL of my health insurance TOMORROW!
    B: Reciting my life events over the past year to this poor fellow.
    C: Screaming “Fcuck OFF!” at the top of my lungs.
    D: Cleverly insinuating that I was ‘very’ attracted to his strong Republican male voice….

Anyway gang, LOL….that’s my weird news for the day! I hope you all come up with better more witty responses than I did with these callers if they ring you up….LOL~

• Emerald1943 says:

Hey TRP! I could not have held my cool like you did. I got a call last year before the election from the rethuglicans, and I will admit that I went ballistic! I cussed that man with as many obscenities as I could think of! For the sake of the civility of this site, I will not repeat them!! :-)

After that, I registered with the “NO CALL” list. So far, it’s working! Now, if I could only do something about the spam company that wants to send me 250 free business cards!

• bitohistory says:

My father was good at these calls. I think his record was 45+ minutes. He wold string them along and sound so interested in their spiel. He would just ask them some outlandish but serious sounding questions. He would be so agreeable sounding. Just as they thought they were ready to set the hook on him, he would come out with “well, I’ll have to ask the wife, she handles all the money.”
      We wold sit there just trying to not laugh out loud, tears in our eyes.
      He would say “well, that’s 10 other people he didn’t get to call!”
      lol

• SueInCa says:

What a great idea. I usually tell them and especially Tom McClintock to “fuck off” but you know, I am going to try the other stuff from now on.

• PepeLepew says:

You did better than me when I was 18 and a senior in high school, I got harassing phone calls literally every week from military recruiters. Finally, after about the 30th phone call from these guys, I lost my cool and screamed at the recruiter, “Look, I’m not getting my ass shot off in El Salvador for Ronald Reagan … I NEVER EVEN REGISTERED FOR THE DRAFT!!!!”

Sure enough, two weeks later, I got a nasty letter from the Selective Service telling me that if I did not register immediately, I would be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, etc, etc. I never did, and they never came after me. :)

• Tiger99 says:

I went through that recently with my 2 sons… Recruiters would call and ask “What are your son’s plans for the future?” I always responded ” Not being a Bullet Catcher in Iraq. Any more questions”?
        I never got another one…

I angers me that recruiters are given all the kids private info from the public school system…

• TheRarestPatriot says:

I got chewed out while signing UP for Selective Service because I asked which box to tick to “Selectively choose NOT to Serve”…..

• SueInCa says:

Now that is something I would do. When I was getting married, back in the 70’s I went to WFB to make changes to my accounts. The branch manager started the paper work and asked what my new name would be. I looked her straight in the eye and said, my husband will be taking my last name……..she was stunned and asked if that was legal. I just laughed and said, I guess so, I don’t know any law about last names. I then took the paperwork home to fill it out and did not return it to her to process. I wanted to leave her confused.

• bitohistory says:

Pepe, Wow, during Nam we had to show our draft card to cash a check and get into dance clubs!

• PepeLepew says:

They didn’t really enforce it in the 80s. Seriously, I never heard about it again. Now, I understand they will hold up your student loans or Pell grants if you don’t register.

• SueInCa says:

Why have a Selective Service when there is no draft? I guess in the event they institute an emergency draft, it would be easier to have the names on board already. I also wonder do women have to now sign up since they can serve same as the men?

• PepeLepew says:

I’m pretty sure just men have to sign up. Women are still off the hook. What do those Israelis know? :)

I honestly don’t think there will be ever be a draft again … not unless something pretty extraordinary happened. But in the early 80s, it looked like a real possibility. It looked like St. Ronnie was going to invade El Salvador and/or Nicaragua.

• Tiger99 says:

Nope…
              “The exclusion of women from the registration process was challenged in the courts. A lawsuit brought by several men resulted in a 1980 U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania decision that the MSSA

• SueInCa says:

Wow, you sure have alot of data at your fingertips. Thanks for the answer. I also perused your Babylon, love the name on the side where you can read all about the “usual suspects”. Thanks

9. boomer1949 says:

Good Evening Kalima,

Thank you for the photos. I especially like slide #4, “Good Riddance Day” in New York City. If only bad memories of bad people could be removed as easily as shredding paper — poof!

Slide #7, the woman looking at the colorful scarves in the street market is beautiful. It would make a fine wall hanging.

Thinking good thoughts — 2010 is just around the corner and all of us will have a clean slate and fresh start. :-)

• TheBlovicator says:

Good Morning,

this is the Blovicator -- my first post.

Yes, I know the word is bloviate, but my wife (AlphaBitch) says that I am the king of malaprops. At least, I try for difficult words…

Glad to be here on this excellent blog!

• Hopeington says:

Hey Blovicator,you’ve, already, got me going to the dictionary!! I didn’t know about Mrs. Malaprops!!!
        I just love new words, real or invented.
        Welcome aboard, you’ve brought us one more closer to the goal of 200 members.

A very warm welcome to The Planet, Blovicator! Great to have someone skilled at malapropisms.

It’s like mucous to my ears.

• boomer1949 says:

Welcome to the Planet! We enjoy big words, little words, made up words, all kinds of words; tests our mental acuity.

• Tiger99 says:

Welcome Blovicator…
        “but my wife (AlphaBitch) says that I am”
        Kinda funny when you take it out of context…

Heh Heh Heh

• Emerald1943 says:

Well hello there, blov! And a hearty welcome to the Planet! Happy New Year to you and AB! She is such an asset to our small-but-growing group! I’m sure you will be too!

We anxiously await all your difficult words! :-)

• AlphaBitch says:

Hold up there, Em! He’s come up with some real winners -- like “exsqueeshiated” (not sure about the spelling).

Anyone care to venture what THAT one means? (Hint: it had to do with cattle)

I love TheBlovicator with all my heart; we have been (mostly) happily married for almost 28 years. He is my best friend, my true mate.

But some of his malaprops have made coffee/water/soda come out of orifices I didn’t even know I had!

Blov is off with the boys -- BestBuy, the mall. We’re off to a fun party tonight. I spent two hours with one of the boys, while he had 4 different MRIs taken of his feet (suspicion is some tendon/ligament damage due to soccer, and he will need surgery next week). Never a dull moment with those two….Next week it ends, and my house will return to its calm, peaceful state. I’ll miss them horribly. Is this like REAL parenthood?????

• Emerald1943 says:

Hey AB! I haven’t a clue what “exsqueeshiated” means. It sounds to me like he “malipulated” that one!

When he gets home, ask him if he regularly “malipulates” or whether it only occurs under stress! LOL

Glad you’re having a good time with your boys! Sounds like fun! :-) But I’ll pass on the onion pie! Give me sweet taters any day!

• AlphaBitch says:

I’ll ask. Truthfully, I thought “to blovicate” sounded like some sort of intestinal distress caused by too much onion pie!

I’ll explain exqueeshiated soon. It’s an uncommon occurence…thank God!

• Tiger99 says:

How was the

• AlphaBitch says:

Hey there Tiger. The boolani was actually very good. They are like empanadas, or pocket sandwiches I guess. One was filled with leeks only, the other with potato only, and one with a combo of the two. You fry them in oil. TheBlov was terribly afraid of the leeks (he has onionphobia), and kept asking me if it was going to be like an “onion pie” (we live in Texas, and enjoy Frito pie, so everything to us is pie). But he actually enjoyed them greatly and even ate two of them.

And the guys even did most of the clean up. Amazing lads.

If we ever have a Planet get together, I’ll try and nab one of the guys to make their signature dish! Wouldn’t that be fun?

• AlphaBitch says:

Yum! I’ve had onion pie as well with the Texas 1015s or the Vidalia sweets. Good stuff, that!

• Tiger99 says:

Those sound great!!!
              Being an Okie I know that anything “Pie” is Food of The Gods…

Funny you should metion Onion Pie cause I subsitute Vadalias or Big Texas Sweets when they are in season into my Apple Pie recipe…

• escribacat says:

Welcome, Blov. I eagerly await your “blovications!”

• nellie says:

Welcome! Looking forward to reading many of your blovications!

• javaz says:

Good morning TheBlovicator and welcome to the Planet POV!
        Happy New Year to you and your Mrs. AlphaB!
        (she’s a treasure)

Had nothing much to say, left you some photos, hope you might enjoy.

• Emerald1943 says:

Hi Kalima! Happy New Year! Let’s hope this one is better for us all!

I loved the pictures, especially #7 of the lady with the beautiful colored fabrics.

It strikes me that we sometimes fail to see the amazing diversity in our world. These photos bring the point home!

My very best to you and your family!

• boomer1949 says:

Good Evening Kalima,

Thank you for the photos. I especially like slide #4,

11. bitohistory says:

Good day Kalima, So sorry to hear about your theft, Dear One. There is a special place in hell for thieves. Or reincarnated in a really low life form.
    Hope you dragons are behaving to today. We need to find you a dragon slayer.

I was amazingly naive, it was Christmas for everyone I thought, it wasn’t. I messed up. Hubby angry, but we will get over this.

If you detect a grammar problem, talking German with family for days, sorry. :(

Are you ok?

• bitohistory says:

My brother had his motor scooter stolen on Christmas-Eve morning. Good Christmas for some people.

I’m OK, just need my bone morrow to do a better job some days 😐

12. Bernard Marx says:

Hmmm. So the planet has degenerated into a site for sharing cute kitten videos.

13. PepeLepew says:

Cat videos?
    We’re posting cat videos now?
    This is the best cat video ever.

A very bad day for me, I hope for you , that is not what I meant at all. That sounds awful, I think you know what I mean. Like many of you here have Persian friends, they worry about family and friends, not everyone got out.