With so much insanity constantly swirling around Hurricane Donald, it can be hard to stay focused on any one piece of lunacy for a period of time. Certain outrages have hung around in the media for a while but others have quickly whirled out of view as other craziness has whipped into view.
To try and give a fuller view of the path of destruction that Hurricane Donald has wrought on his own campaign, our society and our democratic system, the following Top 5 Craziest Things (So Far) About The Presidential Election are offered in no particular order.
- Trump Admits He Commits Sexual Assaults Because He Can Get Away With It – Okay, someone running for President is on tape admitting that he enjoys abusing his power to use others and gratify himself…and 40% of Americans want to give him the enormous power of the Presidency? No wonder he loves the uneducated voters. First, he admits this horrendous, criminal behavior then he’s coached by Roger Ailes and Steve Bannon (both of whom have committed sexual and/or violent assaults on women) to deflect it as “locker room talk”, proposing that of course, all men boast in locker rooms (or buses, same thing) of sexually assaulting women but being able to get away with it because they’re celebrities. Then after sickly parading women around like props at the second debate as disrespected accusers of Bill Clinton’s sexual abuse, Trump responds to accusers of his sexual abuse by disrespecting them, insulting their appearance and calling them all “dirty liars”. There have been a number of Presidents who have had affairs and even some who committed crimes as President, but no President in memory has ever been caught on tape proudly confessing to criminal sexual assaults then declaring, “Nobody respects women more than me, nobody.” Oh, and those who don’t run beauty pageants. Trump’s misogyny ran rampant at the Miss Universe and Miss Teen USA pageants. He has admitted himself on The Howard Stern Show that he would intentionally burst into the dressing room when contestants were naked or partially naked. He allegedly did this as well at Miss Teen USA as well, criminally peeping on teenage girls as young as 15 years old. And of course there was the scandal over his misogynist treatment of Miss Universe winner, Alicia Machado for gaining a little weight and his Twitter assault on her just weeks ago to crush her for speaking out against him. All Trump can do at this point is distract and deny, he is recorded on tape attesting to his sexual assaults on and abuse of women and his tweets and statements since only confirm this. Fortunately, one will only have to imagine, like the plot of a dystopian science fiction film, what the U.S. would have been like for women if Trump could have won the presidency.
- Trump Claims That The Election is Rigged if He Loses – Welcome to Storytime! Today, we’re reading one of the most famous stories from Aesop’s Fables, The Fox and The Grapes:
The Fox and The GrapesOne hot summer’s day, a Fox was strolling through an orchard till he came to a bunch of grapes just ripening on a vine which had been trained over a lofty branch. “Just the things to quench my thirst,” quoth he. Drawing back a few paces, he took a run and a jump, and just missed the bunch. Turning round again with a One, Two, Three, he jumped up, but with no greater success. Again and again he tried after the tempting morsel, but at last had to give it up, and walked away with his nose in the air, saying: “I am sure they are sour.” “IT IS EASY TO DESPISE WHAT YOU CANNOT GET.”
The problem here though is that “the grapes” are our entire democratic system and whipping up millions of people to believe democracy is a fraud (if it doesn’t hand an election to their candidate) is a warping of their grape-sized brains into viewing tyranny as the true form of democracy and democracy as the enemy…of democracy.
- Trump’s Presidency is Supported by Putin/Russia, David Duke/White Supremicists, Neo-Nazis, Assange/Wikileaks, Roger Ailes, Steve Bannon and ISIS – The old saying is that you can tell who someone is by the people with whom they surround themselves. Using this yardstick, Donald Trump is apparently an anti-American Russia-loving tyrant, white supremacist, anti-Semite who supports the foreign hacking of the U.S. government, is a misogynist that’s committed assaults on women, who believes in paranoid conspiracy theories and wants ISIS and terrorism to flourish. See how easy that was? What is mind boggling is how Republicans are so party-first/country-last that Trump can be all of these things and still have most of Republican’s votes. They hate Russia! And Nazis! And Muslims and Terrorists! But Trump unashamedly embraces all of these horrible and disgusting entities (by agreeing with ISIS’s propaganda that we are in a war of religions, he validates them and enhances their recruiting) and core Republicans just shrug because principles are only operable against Democrats.
- Trump is Openly Bigoted against Latinos, African Americans and Muslims – Trump’s launch of his candidacy was premised on the base (and I do mean base) exclamation that Mexico isn’t sending us their best, they’re sending rapists and criminals into the U.S.. Despite immigration being around a net zero today and statistics also showing that immigrants commit a far smaller percentage of crime per capita than American citizens, he’s continued to paint a picture of animal-like Latinos flooding over the border with disease, criminal plans and intent to steal from our safety net systems. He savaged Federal Judge Gonzalo Curiel, claiming that neither he nor any American citizen that descended from Mexican parents could uphold their duty as an impartial judge in any case against him because he attacks their heritage. And he still supports creating a storm-trooper type army to track down and deport 12 million undocumented immigrants. Trump spent five years pandering and validating racists by gladly taking the lead of the bigoted Birther movement. His aggressive focus on demeaning and invalidating the U.S. President simply because he was black was the way he built his racist base for his campaign. And just for the record, he knew as all informed people know that any baby born to a woman who is U.S. citizen, is automatically a citizen no matter where the birth takes place, even if they were born in Panama or Canada (right John McCain and Ted Cruz?). Remember just a few weeks ago, Trump’s awkward pandering to black communities by telling them how much he sympathized with what a hell their lives are and how Democrats are responsible for it all? He appeared with Black Republicans and even went to one non-Republican b;ack church (where he was reprimanded for starting a political speech against Hillary)? Well, now that Trump has declared himself “unshackled” (“the blacks” might find that a bit ironic), he now howls at his white followers that black communities are trying to steal this election and they have to be stopped. We all knew, this non-bigoted facade couldn’t last long. Trump also declared that he wanted a complete ban on all Muslims entering the U.S.. He proposed a religious test at entry points, concentration camps within the US for Muslims and surveillance and tracking on Americans who were Muslims as well as spying on Mosques. You’d have to go back to the days of George Wallace or slavery to see such open and unapologetic racism.
- Trump Suffers From Severe Psychological Issues – Narcissistic Personality Disorder and Easily Flying Into Extended Blind Rages – As evidenced from his speeches and tweets, Trump has severe psychological disorders that he doesn’t even try to hide. To begin, he has all the symptoms of someone suffering from Narcissistic Personality Disorder. According to The Mayo Clinic, this is the definition of that condition:
Narcissistic personality disorder is a mental disorder in which people have an inflated sense of their own importance, a deep need for admiration and a lack of empathy for others. But behind this mask of ultraconfidence lies a fragile self-esteem that’s vulnerable to the slightest criticism.
A narcissistic personality disorder causes problems in many areas of life, such as relationships, work, school or financial affairs. You may be generally unhappy and disappointed when you’re not given the special favors or admiration you believe you deserve. Others may not enjoy being around you, and you may find your relationships unfulfilling.
This may explain why Trump responded to the Gold Star Khan parents with such naked, bigoted hatred and his unrelenting savaging of former Miss Universe Alicia Machado. Remember, this is a man who could potentially be President of the United States who uses his very prominent political platform to attack private citizens because he’s so thin-skinned. What would happen if a foreign leader insulted him? What disastrous actions could he take economically, militarily or just rhetorically that could cause enormous harm to this country and its people. If he does in fact suffer from NPD, that means he is devoid of empathy for others and that would include all Americans. Taking an action that gratified him emotionally but put tens or hundreds of millions of Americans at risk would seem just fine to someone like that. Mental illness is a very serious issue and should be an instant disqualifier for anyone trying to run for the presidency.
There are many more items that could make this list including close runner ups like his penchant for supporting the use and global proliferation of nuclear weapons, his claim of wanting to “Make America Great Again” while proposing to end the minimum wage, get rid of the EPA, slash taxes for the wealthy while raising them on some in the middle class, kill the Iran nuclear deal and the Paris climate agreement and declare the American democratic system rigged and a fraud.
One could point to any of these as disqualifying for any candidate but Trump lemmings did not decide to follow him because of truths, they follow him despite them. So you can’t use truth or common sense to dissuade them, it’s irrelevant in their decision making.They are driven by crude emotions, hate and fear and unfortunately, there is no way to reason irrational people out of their emotions.
However, those not slavishly following Trump could keep in mind all of these most severe issues that would clearly exhibit Trump as being unqualified to be our nation’s leader and Commander in Chief of the most powerful military on the planet (not to mention, in constant possession of the “nuclear football” which would allow him to launch nuclear missiles whenever he chose to…especially if some leader suddenly got under his thin skin).
The only problem with this list though is that there are still three weeks until the election, who knows what will come out about Trump that eclipses any of these outrages? These last three weeks can’t pass quickly enough!