Operation Sunburst-Electrify the Debate!
The Problem is OIL.
The current messy predicament had its beginning in the 1940’s when Standard Oil, GM and Firestone got rid of mass transit. In similar fashion, Chevron bought the patent to the NiMH battery from GM in 2000, and only allowed it to be used in cars that got 100% of their energy at the gas pump.
Oil company propaganda says there’s no market for electric cars, but the Nissan leaf is already sold out of the 19,000 Leafs it will manufacture for 2011. No more orders taken!
But- this is the best shot we’ll ever have to change things.
The true cost of oil is war, asthma, environmental destruction, lost tourism and global climate change. No amount of money makes up for that. There is only one solution, and the oil companies fear it- Solar Panels on our rooftops and Electric Cars to drive.
1. Nickel-Metal Hydride is the only proven EV (Electric Vehicle) battery; after 100K or 200K miles NiMH can be remelted down into new batteries without new mining.
2. Instead of “research”, we need to start making and improving plug-in cars right now, not waiting for the perfect that never comes. Lowering cost is the name of the game.
3. Solar power and plug-in cars is the only sustainable way to power individual autos.
4. Running an EV 1000 miles per month takes only 250 kilo-Watt-hours of electric, about $25 worth; about what two old refrigerators cost and about a third of the average home usage.
5. It would take only a tenth of the average home roof — 6 square yards — to make 250 kWh per month, enough electric energy to run a plug-in car 1000 miles per month.
6. Because solar power and plug-in cars would cut oil profits, Big Oil has strangled and delayed this simple alternative to oil and coal.
7. No matter how many nuke or coal plants we build, it won’t replace one drop of oil unless there are plug-in cars to use the electric.
8. America’s largest open-pit coal mine is a witches cauldron of toxic waste and caustic destruction; but if the ground were left alone, and covered with solar panels, we’d get more electric energy from the same space (28,000 acres) than from the coal.
9. Instead of coal mines, or oil rigs, the same workers could be manufacturing and installing solar panels and building and recycling electric plug-in cars and reforming their batteries.
10. Buying oil from people who hate us gives them our money and leaves only air and ground pollution, asthma and smog.
The alternative to oil-fired cars and permanent lung damage is solar and plug-in cars.
“Reports on the demise of the Electric Car have been greatly exaggerated”