Friday Music Thread – Fight The Power!

It seems appropriate that in light of the racist law passing in AZ that this week’s Friday Music Thread is dedicated to “fighting the power”. Whether it’s authority figures oppressing others or even people not being treated fairly in a relationship, this thread is dedicated to those who stand up for their principles, for what’s right, just and fair.

Might as well start with the namesake song for this thread…

Fight The Power – Public Enemy

newest
oldest most voted
Inline Feedbacks
kesmarn
Admin
10 years ago

Computer is very glitchy tonight, but let my try to post this URL for b’ito one more time — the union man’s song: “Which Side Are You On, Boys?”

(Couldn’t get the video to embed! 😳 Nevermind…fixed it!)

choicelady
Reply to  kesmarn

Fave! Fanned! (Not that we do that here, but still…) I LOVE this song! I taught union folks for 15 years, turning their individual understanding of capital’s gross screwing of America into ideas that they could use. We once stood off Henry Kravis and KKR-Reynolds-NAbisco and kept the Milk Bone Dog Biscuit plant OPEN that they were doing to sell or ditch. How? Got the union that worked there to offer a buy out by the workers. Terrified ol’ Henry into settling, and, 20 years later, the plant is still working including the men and women I led into battle over it. We did not take ownership, but we beat Henry. Which side are you on? That of men and women who work for a living, that’s whose side I’m on. LOVE this and thank you!

kesmarn
Admin
Reply to  choicelady

Makes me feel as though I just got a BADGE, c’lady! Thank you. I had a dickens of a time getting the thing to post, but was too stubborn to give it up. I love this song, too. Because, so many times in life you just can’t be neutral. No matter how safe you want to feel.

And you, c’lady, have every reason to be proud of helping to lead those workers into a position of strength that has lasted 20 years! Makes me want to have a Milk Bone right now! 😆

choicelady
Reply to  kesmarn

LOL!!! My brother used to eat them when he was little. He’s now 60. I think you’re safe!

KQµårk 死神
10 years ago

“War, What is it good for?……Absolutely Nothing”

httpsh://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01-2pNCZiNk

boomer1949

Hey y’all,

When the kiddies were growing up , I always felt threatened by Guns & Roses, but this happened to pop up on on “QFM-96, Ohio’s Best Rock” on my way home this evening; ‘course after my not usual Merlot, but a couple of Tanquery straight up ‘tinis with olives, this one struck a major chord with me. Why?

Go figure, but as I was driving (carefully of course, and I’m home) 🙂 it seemed sooo rebellious — so defiant — so against-the-grain; I had to put it out there. Not to mention some Skin-head, sunglassed, Ohio, Yahoo driving an Audi SUV cut me off; I gave him the two ‘tini salute. Not wise in Boehner country, but did take side turn. So, this is the first entry…

And then I heard this…and I feel just as rebellious at 61 as I did when my youngest was 3…bless all of you who could be my kids, but thank those of us who could be your parents and “feel like you do.”

*EDIT*PF is a year younger than me!!! WooHoo!! Whata’ guy and he still has it…thank Dog!

choicelady
Reply to  boomer1949

boomer dear – I’m older than you. So thanks for remembering how to provide the “universal sign of disrespect” to those who earned it. Better to get it off your heart. You know the definition of STRESS? “The inability to choke the living shit out of someone who righteously deserves it.”

Stress relief lives on.

You’re my kind of woman!

Blues Tiger

Summer of Rage – Shooter Jennings

boomer1949
Reply to  AdLib

My dear AdLib,

1) You are, dear heart, older than I (heh, which I doubt), or
2) I could be…NOT your mum, but your grandmum. 😆

Mine or not, AL, those of us who ARE Mums would be proud to claim you as our own. Hugs…

boomer

Chernynkaya

For our lost miners…

The Weavers – Union Miners

Chernynkaya

The Weavers – Hay Una Mujer Desaparecida

nottoolate

Santana’s “Migra”

SanityNow
10 years ago

Dead Kennedys: We’ve Got A Bigger Problem Now (Lost Sessions)

Chernynkaya