AdLib On January - 7 - 2012

“Ladies and Gentlemen, children of all ages, welcome to The Gratingest Show on Earth! The circus is about to begin!

In the center ring, we have The World’s Hollowest Man in a no holds barred fight with The Human Weasel. Joining them will be The Hate-Faced Boy, The Man of a Thousand Oops, The Tin Foil Man and The Invisible Hunts Man.

Come one, come all! The clowns are on us!”

Though it may be Debate #361 in a series of 5,000, it should be a very entertaining one since so much is on the line, Romney is in the potential position of eliminating all of his competition just as the race has gotten under way.

Tonight’s debate and the debate tomorrow morning may be the last chance for his competitors to block Romney’s coronation. Gingrich has threatened an attack and Santorum would be foolish not to join in. Huntsman is out after NH without a surprisingly strong showing. Perry will have no choice but to exit if he does poorly in the next primary in SC. And Ron Paul, he’s more interested in being Austrian.

Hope to see you here for the live blog at 6:00 pm PST, the debate will be broadcast on your local ABC station. You can also watch the live feed online at the ABC News site: http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/new-hampshire-republican-debate-2012-gop-candidates-primary-election-politics-15310947

If you miss it, you might enjoy catching up on the commentary, it’s usually far more entertaining than the debate.

1. foodchain says:

As little as I’ve been here, I so enjoy it. But off I go to rest for tomorrow’s events. Best to all. Best to all resolutions--more on that later. Goodnight moon-almost full here

Breaking News?
    Gosh, kids, just as I was about to go to bed I stumbled upon this article.

Think this changes anything?

A Las Vegas billionaire with ties to Newt Gingrich has given $5 million to an independent group backing the former House Speaker’s presidential bid.

A person familiar with the situation said casino mogul Sheldon Adelson made the contribution Friday to Winning the Future, a pro-Gingrich super PAC. The person said Adelson would spend heavily to assist whichever candidate wins the Republican nomination.

Adelson is a longtime supporter of GOP candidates and has been a friend and backer of Gingrich for many years.

We can only hope Newt will mess up Romney a bit before he’s out of the race.

I wonder if like Newt, Repubs who were so gung ho about Citizens United now curse it because of what it means in hammering them in primaries?

AdLib, I’ve always wondered if Citizens United might turn out to be a double-edged sword for the Repubs. (Although I still wish it had never happened and hope it gets reversed at some point.) But I have to wonder if it won’t be something like a slow bleed financially for them — buying all that air time. When you think of how many ways there are to influence opinion that cost nothing or next to it. Occupy being a prime example, as well as the internet itself with blogs and social media. They are spending millions upon millions of dollars to buy — basically — air.

In Ohio alone, millions were spent trying to defeat the referendum on SB5. All for nought. I’m glad to see those millions wasted. Every dollar they blew here is a dollar they won’t have to spend elsewhere.

• Believe it or not I’m starting to think the opposite is better. I’ll expound on that thought later.

• foodchain says:

OH, Kes, crap, I wish I’d started some PAC so I could take his $5million. So easy to lose money when so many need it, eh?

Lunchtime here. Good night everyone. See you in your morning. Take care.

4. foodchain says:

This is a free marketing tool for the GOP; they have owned the news and we have let them and we, as tonight, follow them. The news just does what they think we want. I mean, really, why so many debates? Only becuase they know how to control the new cycle. I’m on a diet

But keep in mind, they are marketing manure to the public in a Fast Food wrapper.

People are seeing again and again how bad their procut is, the more they publicize it.

Sometimes, sunlight is indeed the greatest disinfectant…and this is one diseased GOP indeed.

• foodchain says:

Ad, The fast food wrapper does scare me. You present a strong image with that. The addiction of subservience to power is not lost on the GOP. It has a long history indeed. And while they will fill the coffers with the subservient, I can’t believe that this much exposure will help them in the GE or in the future. (fingers crossed). Fast food wrapper is very good and so on culture

I’m not as concerned by the fast food wrapper because no matter how much it says about how delicious the contents are, when people take a bite of a manure sandwich…who are they going to believe, the GOP or their own taste buds?

Those who will happily swallow that crap are already locked into voting GOP, about 30% of the country.

But the swing and indie voters like tasting things for themselves, they don’t rely on wrappers. And once you learn that you’ve been a victim of false advertising, you don’t take a second bite.

• The GOP goes by the assumption that everyone is stupid. So if they are just viewed on TV enough they will be seen as viable alternatives to Obama. What they say is purely secondary to getting all the attention in the first place.

5. A blog post I came across.

I used to be a Republican. Still consider myself conservative. But I just donated $25 to Obama’s re-election after watching this GOP debate. Obama should encourage all his supporters to watch these debates. It would make them want to donate.

Kind of says it all Obama is winning these debates.

Very cool and I think it’s just the beginning of a flow from the GOP to Obama.

• I also think the meme is building that Romney is just a fucking liar. That along with the flip flops just reinforce the fact that he would say or do anything just to get elected. His lies are just so obvious.

I sure hope so. His lies about Obama making the economy worse sure started that ball rolling but he’s not getting attacked as being a liar much by the other candidates.

I do feel that this is a central issue that needs to be hammered in the public’s mind because once you know he’s a fraud and liar, every time he talks, you dislike him more no matter what he says.

• They have a point. All the Obamanots on the left should watch these debates. Sure some would laud Paul but at least they could see there is a very real difference between the parties.

• foodchain says:

KQ, there’s very few that, once they are past the no war rehtoric and no government that can agree with his policies. And he has no one but the young and the-who are these people? Idaho and Michigan militarists?

The Firebaggers should watch the debates and either choose their candidate or shut up for good.

Obama supporters should watch to help loosen up their wallets. Mine sure was tonight.

6. Not having Bachmann there made Ron Paul look like the smurf.

7. I wish we had a real media so they would question Romney on the jobs he “created” at Bain and then pivot to how come you made millions whether jobs were made or lost at Bain. That’s the ugly part of vulture capitalism.

KQ, I read that when he was at Bain they defaulted on a $10 million loan and the FDIC (that’s you and me, of course) had to pick up the tab and mop up after him. Nevertheless, he made $4 million for himself, needless to say. He must have really been “pursuing happiness” on that one.

We’ll have to leave that to Obama in his GE debates with Romney.

How many more “debates”, tell me this is the last one please.

I have no doubt in my mind now that the President will be re-elected. Roll on November.

OBAMA 2012!!!

9. MurphTheSurf3 says:

Best to one and all. Enjoyed this. Took my mind off the sad scene on the boob tube…an apt nae given the nature of the debate. Good night.

10. SueInCa says:

Night all and AB have a safe trip. It was fun watching these totally unprepared people to take on Obama. Mitt cannot officially until the primaries are over, otherwise he is going to piss off alot of “Mericans

Who are these people still talking as if they were serious candidates? I thought CNN was bad enough. Think I’ll hum to myself.

Jake Tapper just made a good point, saying that if Romney has a cakewalk getting the nom, he won’t be as prepared to face off against Obama and I agree.

• Good point I think we talked about it once in VP as much as I did not like some of the things Clinton said about Obama, she did season the young lad and he was ready for McCain. After running the country for 4 years and putting up with this GOPTEA madness Obama is an old vet now.

Yes, a central issue about primaries is that attacks that take place then can become mooted. Rev. Wright and “pallin’ around with terrorists” was all old news by the time of the GE, because Hillary stooped to those attacks back in the primaries.

I too was angry at her for that but the net result was immunizing Obama on the worst attack issues. And, seasoning him on how to deal with vicious attacks.

Romney, if he wins easily, won’t be prepared for the one-on-one debates with Obama, where he can’t just mouth hollow BS and sidestep details on every issue. And the attack machine on Romney will be savage.

So, while I would like to see Romney beaten up along the way, it may be best to have him unprepared instead.

• foodchain says:

Ad, speaking of Hillary, any thought on why big dog is so guiet on Newt or any of they idiots? I know he’s an egotist but where does he ever draw the line between good and evil? Or perhaps just on pleasure and convenience….

• SallyT says:

AdLib, Mitt can have a dozen more debates with these turkeys and he still won’t have enough practice for Obama. Joe Fraser didn’t sparr with Danny DeVito to get ready to face Muhammad Ali. Romney doesn’t have any sparring partner with these guys to prepare for his fight with Obama.

• foodchain says:

SallyT, I love the images here. While Romney isn’t crazy, he cannot defend his record. He can’t defend his positions. He can’t defned his wealth. They’ve changed his hair to look “relaxed” because he can’t defend his perfectness. He’s down the river but doesn’t know it yet

Agreed though I like that Mitt will be far less prepared to go one-on-one with Obama by having little conflict.

• That’s my sentiment too Sally. Romney can push his “executive,” cred as much as he wants. Being governor of any state doesn’t hold a candle to 4 years as leader of the free WORLD!

13. AlphaBitch says:

OK, now it’s bed time. See you guys tomorrow night -- off to Houston w/ my Pup. Take care, digest it for me and I’ll check in tomorrow.

14. choicelady says:

OK -- I totally forgot this was even on. Did not watch. Instead we watched (are watching, more or less on my part) a wonderful professor of history talking about women supporters of the Confederacy in the 1860s and it came to me in a blinding flash!!!!

The ENTIRE roster of GOP candidates are all qualified to be President-

Of the Confederacy.

That solves THAT problem. They’re just in the wrong contest.