AdLib On December - 24 - 2011

We’ve lived through an entire year of Grinches, Scrooges and Mr. Potters but as Christmas and the holiday season arrives, things are looking cheerier and brighter. The economy seems to be regaining its footing, the Tea Party Republicans in The House appear to be losing theirs and the prospects for the future for people all around the world look to be favoring the majority.

From the entire PlanetPOV team, Kalima, Bito and Kquark and yours truly, a wonderful and joyful holiday season to all of our fellow Planeteers and our kind and loyal readers.

This music thread is dedicated to the folks here and all over the world who care about their fellow human beings and seek a happier and better life for all of us.

Christmas Time is Here – Vince Guaraldi

The Christmas Song – Nat King Cole

Christmas All Over Again – Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas – Frank Sinatra

Father Christmas – The Kinks

Categories: Music Thread

1. Cosmological Advent Calendar

No matter what your belief system is or if you even don’t have a traditional belief system at all, the universe is an awe inspiring place. It’s my belief we take ourselves far to seriously relative to the vast scheme of things. The universe’s temporal and physical enormity dictates that our time will pass, all of human kind and we are just a grain of sand in a desert. So when we think about our petty differences in the long run and considering the grand nature of the universe we always should be mindful that we are just extremely fortunate to be a infinitesimally tiny part of what is. We should spend the little time we have wisely and understand we are not the end all and be all of all things on a grand scale and be humbled by that in a positive way.

• foodchain says:

Happy New Year KQ. This is just breathtakingly stunning. I love the holidays so I thought I’d catch up on Planteer’s thought during a few quiet moments. I’m so glad I did. It’s such a good time of year for larger thoughts. The notion of of man’s fears and celebrations over so many centuries (Christmas now melded into the solstice) trying to make sense of his place in a larger universe and then moving into the hopes of a fresh a new year always make me slow down and ponder at the wonder of it all. These photos not only stretch my vision, thet also make me think of those very lucky people who have this as a profession or who have taken the time to understand it.

KQ, well said. There have always been two situations in which I felt that my “sights” were being re-adjusted.

Standing in an old graveyard, where all the things that all those people worried about, rejoiced in, and/or fought over are long forgotten.

And — looking up at the stars on a night when you can see bunches of them. Our mighty sun is just one of myriad.

• foodchain says:

Happy New Year Kes. catching up on people’s thought on Christmas day seemed like a good idea and I wasn’t disappointed. I know what you mean about graveyards and star gazing: I share that experience.

I hope that you are all enjoying what is left of your holidays, and that the holiday cheer stays with you through to the New Year.

Jackson 5-I saw Mommy kissing Sants Claus

Stille Nacht-Vienna Boys Choir

3. Paul Simon--Getting Ready For Christmas Day;

4. AlphaBitch says:

And the dark side of a Texas Christmas (from Rick Perry’s side), Merry Christmas from the Family by Robert Earl Keen. Now it’s off to more festivities!!!!

5. foodchain says:

As we reach across many different time zones, BEST, MERRY, HAPPY, today, tomorrow and through the NEW YEAR. And abundant thanks to Planet POV for safe and fertile ground. What better place to grow ideas for the new year!

6. AlphaBitch says:

Dedicated to my Bito: John Prine -- Christmas in Prison

7. AlphaBitch says:

And why living in Texas is sometimes worth it, even with Perry and Paul -- the first couple of Texas music, Bruce Robison and Kelly Willis, singing ‘Baby It’s Cold Outside” -- LIVE.

Santa Clause is Coming to Town -- Bruce Springsteen