Taking the last turn on the long track that began…..well it began on Inauguraration Day 2008 when the GOP set its sites on making Barack Obama a one term President. The finish line is in site.
It’s Close. Real Close.
- Tough economic environment — even one that is improving- jobs, housing, personal/business solvency, stock market are stronger but not robust.
- Wall Street, corporate PACS and super-wealthy tycoons like the Koch Brothers and Edelson — have spent huge amounts of money to defeat Obama because he will not cooperate with their agendas.
- The Deep division in the country. One embracing a progressive and changing view of American life and another that longs for a romantic and largely mythic past – traditional, white, male.
- A culture of lies about the President and his agenda which played into the worst aspects of our racial and class divide.
Why will President Obama emerge the victor-
- The Republicans’ supply side, trickle down, let Wall Street run amok policies sent the economy into a catastrophic recession. Most recognize this. Super tax cuts for the super rich is no longer marketable.
- The Republican agenda of obstructionism that was willing to stall the economy to win a political victory in service to its patrons.
- Romney’s advocacy of his free market, creative destruction economic model accurately represented by “let Detroit go bankrupt” continues to haunt him.
- Extremist positions in women’s health requiring highly intrusive government intervention.
- “Self deportation,” threatened vetoes of the Dream Act, embracing the Arizona “papers please” law, all toxic to many recent immigrants.
- Support for Paul Ryan’s plan to eliminate Medicare and convert it to a voucher program, privatizing Social Security, eliminating huge chunks of social programming.
- Obama has embraced Clinton and his policies that grew the economy from the middle out, invested in education, infrastructure and long-term economic growth, and made the wealthy pay their fair share of taxes.
- Democrats have largely defeated a systematic Republican voter suppression program at the registration level and are now ready to stop it at the polling booths.
- The Obama ground game is extraordinarily superior to its Republican counterpart.
- Obama’s a better candidate than Romney, largely because his public persona is better. He comes across as genuine, committed, inspiring, natural, humorous, caring, self-confident, connected; a person of integrity with a vision. A Leader.
When given a choice between progressive American community values and the values of extreme individualism and greed, progressive values appear to have the upper hand.