AdLib On June - 9 - 2012

America has the most valuable democracy in the world, just look at how much it costs to buy it.

This week we saw the election in Wisconsin go to the highest bidder and a top story proclaimed that Romney received millions than the millions Obama received this quarter…raising the question about whether elections will now be decided like the weekly box office for movies, on the amount of money that’s brought in.

So this weekend’s music thread goes out to the Supreme Court majority that thinks money is speech (ever try to pay for gas with a pun?). Songs about money, gold, wealth or luxury, things that money can buy like cars, travel and politicians, or songs about things that are really valuable, all are the coin of the realm this weekend!

Gimmie Some Money – Spinal Tap

Mercedes Benz – Janis Joplin

Big Yellow Taxi – Counting Crows

After the Gold Rush – Neil Young

Can’t Buy Me Love – The Beatles

Invest your creativity and let it pay dividends, there will no doubt be high interest on your deposit of songs so cash in now!

Categories: Music Thread

1. Django Reinhart--Paris Blues;

2. Jerry and the Boys--If I Had The World To Give;

3. DFHredux says:

Here’s a Willie Dixon classic:

• Man, I sure do miss these guys. Saw several great shows in California, all of them outdoors. Used to return my faith in my fellow man.

• DFHredux says:

I know what you mean. The first time I stepped onto the lot something in my heart said: “Welcome home”. It was people treating each other like people SHOULD treat each other. I still basically reject the way things are done in the rest of the world. The way it worked on tour was better. Jerry’s voice still soothes me on even my worst day. I can’t get enough of his work with David Grisman either.

4. John Hammond Jr.--Slick Crown Vic;

5. DFHredux says:

These lyrics are flat out genius:

You got to be crazy, you gotta have a real need
    You gotta sleep on your toes and when you’re on the street
    You got to be able to pick out the easy meat with your eyes closed
    And then moving in silently, down wind and out of sight
    You gotta strike when the moment is right without thinking

And after a while, you can work on points for style
    Like the club tie, and the firm handshake
    A certain look in the eye and an easy smile
    You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to
    So that when they turn their backs on you
    You’ll get the chance to put the knife in

You gotta keep one eye looking over your shoulder
    You know, it’s going to get harder, and harder, and harder
    As you get older
    Yeah, and in the end you’ll pack up and fly down south
    Hide your head in the sand
    Just another sad old man
    All alone and dying of cancer

And when you lose control, you’ll reap the harvest you have sown
    And as the fear grows, the bad blood slows and turns to stone
    And it’s too late to lose the weight you used to need to throw around
    So have a good drown, as you go down all alone
    Dragged down by the stone

Gotta admit that I’m a little bit confused
    Sometimes it seems to me as if I’m just being used
    Gotta stay awake, gotta try and shake off this creeping malaise
    If I don’t stand my own ground, how can I find my way out of this maze

Deaf, dumb and blind, you just keep on pretending
    That everyone’s expendable, and no one has a real friend
    And it seems to you the thing to do would be to isolate the winner
    Everything’s done under the sun
    But you believe at heart everyone’s a killer

Who was born in a house full of pain
    Who was trained not to spit in the fan
    Who was told what to do by the man
    Who was broken by trained personnel
    Who was fitted with collar and chain
    Who was given a pat on the back
    Who was breaking away from the pack
    Who was only a stranger at home
    Who was ground down in the end
    Who was found dead on the phone
    Who was dragged down by the stone
    Who was dragged down by the stone

6. Mike Bloomfield--Knockin Myself Out;

7. DFHredux says:

Materialism:

8. DFHredux says:

I asked my baby for a nickel and she gave me a twenty dollar bill.

I asked her for a little drink of liquor and she gave me a whiskey still!

9. Albert Collins--If Trouble Was Money;

• DFHredux says:

Fantastic musician! Here’s a funny one.

• Ha! I love it. I was lucky enough to see him in a small club in Boston, in the early 80s. Fantastic show.

• DFHredux says:

When he was touring Europe in the early 80s he had a backup guitarist named Debbie Davies. My wife and I saw her open up for Anson Funderburgh and Sam Myers by accident in little blues dive in Phoenix. We’d just moved here and asked an acquaintance at my new job if there was a good local place to see some blues.

She’s not kiddin’ around!

Here’s a good campaign title from the group she opened for:

(for whom she opened)

10. Neil Young--Heart of Gold;

11. DFHredux says:

Gatemouth Brown “Dollar Got the Blues”

12. DFHredux says:

Gatemouth Brown “Solid Gold Plated Fool”