AdLib On May - 5 - 2012

This week’s music thread is simply about songs by your favorite guitarists and songs with famous guitar riffs. So strum those six strings and play some of your faves…playing behind your head or with your teeth is optional.

Couldn’t Stand the Weather – Stevie Ray Vaughan

Going to California – Led Zeppelin

Money For Nothing – Dire Straits

Voodoo Child – Jimi Hendrix

Sympathy for the Devil – Rolling Stones

Categories: Music Thread

1. AlphaBitch says:

OK -- the master of the dobro, Senor Jerry Douglas (or as I call him -MISTAH Dudleth). Hope you enjoy it.

And the best of acoustic -- Richard Thompson with the 1952 Vincent Black Lightening.

2. LFer says:

Gary Moore -- Still Got The Blues

Arguably the greatest guitarist, a magician with the guitar, Django Reinhardt:

Limehouse Blues -- Django Reinhardt

• Ad, did you ever see Woody Allan’s film “Sweet and Lowdown”? Sean Penn plays Emmett Ray, a very good jazz guitarist in the 30s. (real life character) I guess that Emmett was so intimidated by Django, he would faint at the sight of him. I guess that’s a true story. Emmett was real character in life. He loved trains, and loved to go to junk yards and shoot rats. Of course his favorite thing was playing guitar. Very good movie, if you haven’t seen it already. Penn did a really good job.

Yes, I think it is a wonderful film! Emmet Ray is a fictional character though, the film presents him as a real person but it’s part of the storytelling.

Penn did do a great job and so did the actress who played the mute, she was amazing as was their relationship.

A real “sleeper” (pun intended) of a movie, one of his best that few have seen but I’m not surprised that you have, you know your films!

4. Eric Clapton -- Crossroads Guitar Festival 2007--Jeff Beck;

This amazing bass player is Tal Wilknefeld. Simply amazing.

5. The bearded boys From Texas;

6. Johnny Winter -- Mississippi Blues;

7. Ten Years After -- Slow Blues In’ C;

8. Kenney Rankin--Blackbird;

9. SueInCa says:

Adlib

I just saw Sympathy for the Devil in your post. I love that song. We saw them at PacBell Park a few years ago. It was possibly the best concert I have ever been to. I have gone to a lot of concerts but they are spectular. before I went to the concert I was not a big fan. I am now. They were so high energy and we had perfect seats. It rained all day but the clouds cleared right above the park for the whole concert.

Very cool, Sue!

I’ve seen the Stones a number of times, my favorite time was the first time, many years ago on the grass at a stadium (before promoters ended open stadium seating for legal and financial reasons), 20 feet from the stage during their Some Girls tour and it was incredible.

I’ve seen a number of bands in their later years, The Who, The Eagles, Steely Dan, etc., most are unfortunately a bit diminished by their years (understandably) but the Stones still give it all they’ve got. The only other band from the rock era I’d put in that category is Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. They still burn up the stage like they’re in they’re prime and their energy is amazing too. If you get a chance, see them next time around too, I guarantee that you’ll be glad you did!

• I would HAVE to include Neil Young in that list. I’ve seen him live, on two separate occasions. The last time I saw him, he was 62 years old, and that old man wore me out. By the time I ready to go home, he was still rocking his ass off. Tremendous energy.

• SueInCa says:

Adlib

Journey did not have all the original members in their reiteration of the band either but there is that familiarity with their music so you can always find a lead singer who will come close. So seeing these groups with revised members is just a turn of time. Look how many groups Eric Clapton was with:

Derek and The Dominoes
        Cream
        Blind Faith
        Yardbirds
        Delaney and Bonnie and Friends

I will have to watch for Tom Petty. I love him with the Traveling Wilbury’s.

Just to name a few, oh John Mayall as well.

10. Steely Dan--Reeling In The Years;

11. Derrick and the Dominoes--Layla;

Manitas de Plata -- Sangre Flamenco

Manitas de Plata -- Por el camino de Ronda

Marija Temo plays Asturias (classical guitar solo)

13. Allman Brothers Band -- Blue Sky;

14. John Mayall & The Bluesbreakers with Gary Moore / So Many Roads;

15. John Mayll Bluesbreakers -- Blues for the lost days;

16. Jeff Beck & Brian Setzer--Twenty Flight Rock;

17. These guy’s are amazing.

al dimeola paco delucia john mclaughlin;

18. foodchain says:

Tommy Emanuel, “Guitar Boogey” 12 string big boy

19. jjgravitas says:

Pink Floyd -- Money (Official Music Video)

Pink Floyd -- One of These Days

20. SueInCa says:

I love this guy
    Ottmar Liebert
    Surrender to Love

Ottmar Liebert and Santana
    Samba Pa Ti

Ottmar Liebert -- Barcelona Nights

• Sue, in the late 90s, I was digging through the local library’s music section and came across him. I had never heard of him before, so I checked out the tape (cassette, I’m old). I really liked his music, and still do. Very romantic stuff.

• SueInCa says:

KT
        I discovered him maybe in 2001 or 02. I really do like him. If you have never listened to it, try Music of the Andes

Pan flute World Music by Edgar Muenala

• Very nice sue. There is a sort of spiritual quality in the pan flute that I really like.

• SueInCa says:

There is so much to enjoy in music. We had a music day here and we listened to Johnny Cash, Journey, Maria Muldaur, The Beatles, Stones and then some MC on cable. We have tons of stations that include fm stations here in the Bay Area plus all the music channels so you surf and get variety

• foodchain says:

Sue, I so loved him from the last time you posted him. I’ve saved him in my music file; a gift that keeps giving πŸ™‚

21. SueInCa says:

Ottmar Liebert
    Nouveau Flamenco/Barcelona Nights

22. Johnny Winter--Be Careful With A Fool;

23. Jeff Beck & Imelda May--Walking In The Sand;

• SueInCa says:

KT I love Imelda May. I saw her in concert at House Of Blues. We had dinner there and after dinner we heard the music so we all walked downstairs. They never stopped us so we enjoyed the concert for free. She had the house rockin

• Sue, I just love her. I’ve seen her in several interviews, and she seems like a really nice person, well grounded. Before she made it big, some record producers tried to change her image and turn into another another Britteny Spears or along those lines, She flat out told them NO! She really loves what she does. Her main thing is Rockabilly, but she can sing almost anything.
        In the song above, Jeff Beck’s amazing guitar playing seems to touch something deep down in her soul. The passion when she sings this song just melts my heart. She’s the future Mrs. Killgore Trout! πŸ˜‰

24. zenith1959 says:

In honor of today, Mexico’s most famous guitarist with the performance that helped make him a star

• Love Santana. The first time I heard them, I loved how exotic their music is. And from what I hear via the grapevine, he’s one of the nicest people in the business.

Here is one of my favorite Santana pieces;

Europa (Earth’s Cry Heaven’s Smile)

• foodchain says:

KT, north of Chicago is a wonderful summer music venue--similar to Tanglewood in boston--and Santana was sold out day one. We missed it! Although it is a belly to belly, butt to butt concert outside, under the trees and stars. Damm

• SueInCa says:

OMWord that is my favorite song of all time. I have seen Santana so many times(he lives in the bay area) but the first time I saw him was at Contra Costa College when I was 15. He plays regularly at the Concord Pavillion(really Sleep Train but it will always be Concord to me) just across the water from us almost every year.

25. AlphaBitch says:

Disclaimer: I am the self appointed President of the Sonny Landreth International Fan Club. He’s played at Crossroads w/ Clapton and with Knopfler. You cannot meet a nicer person nor a more talented one, in my opinion. He lives in LA and I’ve been lucky to see him MULTIPLE times. Catch a show if you can.

26. AlphaBitch says:

SRV also from Texas (there’s a theme here). But I’m partial to acoustic music in its purest form, so here’s another Nanci Griffith, singing Tecumseh Valley, which was written by the late great Townes Van Zandt, one of her mentors. You see the emotion on her face when she glances up. Very special, and a beautiful song.

27. foodchain says:

Leo Kottke, “Vaseline Machine Gun”