funksands On October - 22 - 2011

Is the first time the worst time?  Is being original overrated?  These  songs might  just prove that theory.  Take a dive in the world of cover songs and remakes, re-imaginings, and WTF?  You might just find some hidden gems to take you through the weekend

Johnny Cash – Hurt (original Trent Reznor)

Thirteen – Wilco (original Big Star)

All Along the Watchtower – Jimi Hendrix (original Bob Dylan)

Respect – Aretha (original Otis Redding)

You might even find a surprise or two!  Enjoy.

Categories: Music Thread

Written by funksands

There are known knowns; there are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns; that is to say there are things that, we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns – there are things we do not know we don't know. Additionally there is bacon.

1. jjgravitas says:

Monsoon (Featuring Sheila Chandra) -- Tomorrow Never Knows http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tREPdqAI5M

2. jjgravitas says:

My fave covers of all time:

Emerson Lake & Palmer’s Hoedown (their rocking version of Aaron Copeland’s Rodeo)

Wierd Al Yankovic’s Bohemian Polka (Polka version of Queen’s Bohemian Rhapsody) -- not better, perhaps, but certainly cool in it’s own right.

3. LFer says:

The Tubes “Theme From a Woolly Place” is a double cover -- “Woolly Bully” overlaid by “Theme From A Summer Place”. Weird but it works.

4. LFer says:

It’s easy to think of a cover as a song wearing a costume. I’m told Widespread Panic does an annual Halloween concert where they play only covers. Since Halloween is just around the corner, here is a selection of covers by Widespread Panic.

No Sugar Tonight (The Guess Who)

Nights In White Satin (The Moody Blues)

Slippin’ Into Darkness (War)

Low Spark Of High Heeled Boys (Traffic)

5. Frank Zappa--Stairway To Heaven (Led Zepplin);

• LFer says:

Nice one! I haven’t heard Zappa’s version. Most people only know Zappa for his biting social commentary. If they would look beyond that, they’d see a very talented musician and guitarist.

He massacres “Whipping Post”.

• Zappa was, without doubt, one of a kind. A brilliant musician and an uncanny way of cutting to the chase about society and government. And he taught himself music and how to produce and run soundboards. He was once asked how he learned all of this, and he said, “I went to the library!”

6. The Byrds--It’s Alright Ma (Bob Dylan);

7. LFer says:

“Let It Be” — Carol Woods, Timothy T Mitchum, and Church Choir from the movie “Across The Universe”. This video clip is one of the most powerful scenes in the movie.

8. choicelady says:

Beyond all this great music and interesting “do overs” it occurs to me we’d better get used to this. If Cain’s 9-9-9 should become our tax law, we will HAVE to buy “used music” to avoid the sales tax!

9. LFer says:

“Heroes” Blondie covering Bowie.

“More Than This” Blondie covering Roxy Music.

10. The Black Keys--Funk #49 (The James Gang);

11. Return To Me--Bob Dylan (Dean Martin);

12. Across The Universe--David Bowie (The Beatles);

13. Johnny Cash--In My Life (The Beatles);

• LFer says:

I love the guitar work in this but, to be honest, I’ve never cared for Johnny Cash’s singing voice. It seems coarse compared to the smooth guitar.

And of course one of my all time fave covers:

What a Wonderful World -- Joey Ramone

Here’s an eclectic mix:

My Way -- Sid Vicious

Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds -- William Shatner

You Really Got Me -- Van Halen

I Won’t Back Down -- Eddie Vedder

16. LFer says:

Oh Lordy, there are some things that just shouldn’t be. Please don’t watch this video, I beg you.

Raquel Welch -- “Bang Bang”

17. LFer says:

“James Bond Theme” by Moby

18. LFer says:

The Ventures did Henry Mancini’s “The Pink Panther Theme”

19. LFer says:

Jazz great John Coltrane covers “My Favourite Things” from the Rodgers & Hammerstein musical “The Sound Of Music”

20. LFer says:

Steve Howe (Yes) and Annie Haslam (Renaissance) cover Dylan’s “It’s All Over Now Baby Blue”

21. LFer says:

What fascinates me about cover songs is seeing which songs an artist chooses to cover and what they do with it. I love it when a band takes someone else’s song and makes it their own. There’s nothing quite as boring as a straight up, faithful cover of a song. I’d rather listen to the original.

Hey LFer, welcome to The Planet!

I agree, I am a purist and enjoy the original version of songs so if someone covers it similarly to the original version, I’m usually unimpressed but when someone takes it in a different direction and makes it their own, sometimes it can be even better than the original.

BTW, great song picks!

22. LFer says:

A manic phase won’t let me sleep in spite of the drugs so here is a song by Moodswings for all the other manic-depressives out there.

Moodswings does a sweet techno-trance version of Jon and Vangelis’ “State of Independence” featuring vocals by Chrissie Hynde of The Pretenders.

23. LFer says:

I couldn’t resist one more. I promise after this I will “turn off my mind, relax, and float downstream”
    Here is 801 doing the Beatles’ “Tomorrow Never Knows”

24. LFer says:

One more and then it’s bedtime.
    Siouxsie And The Banshees playing “Dear Prudence”

25. zenith1959 says:

Lets punk up Simon and Garfunkel

26. zenith1959 says:

Tina Turner “Get Back”. Saw her at a club in Seattle in the early 80’s, think she was starting her comeback, and she opened with this. Liked the show so much bought tickets for the second show that same night.

27. LFer says:

Speaking of Donovan, who could forget “Season of the Witch” by Mike Bloomfield, Al Kooper, Steve Stills from the Super Session album.

28. LFer says:

Sarah McLachlan does a lovely version of Donovan’s “Wear Your Love Like Heaven”

29. bito says:

Soon to be set to music:
    Willie Nelson gets behind Occupy Wall Street movement

(has Willie ever stayed “on beat”? 😉 )

• Willie marches to a different drummer all his own. It’s funny, but the IRS went after Willie several years ago for owing back taxes. About 50 million in back taxes. He has since paid it off, but I just get a kick out of this. Willie is an old hippie. I love it!

30. funksands says:

Jolene -- White Stripes (Dolly Parton) Hardly an improvement, but this band singing that song is pretty cool.[img]