AdLib On April - 1 - 2010

This is either a brilliant strategic move by the GOP to put Dems and Pres. Obama on the spot or the polling may be showing that being the Party of No and repealing HCR is a losing proposition in November.

If you didn’t see the press conference this morning, John Boehner and Eric Cantor announced that they will be working together to change the tone in Washington from division to one of cooperation, vowing to work with Pres. Obama “even when we disagree”.

“Politics is about compromise, we’re willing to to compromise if President Obama and Democrats in Congress are willing to do the same. We want to do our job and do what’s best for this nation,” Cantor stated.

What I found most remarkable was Boehner’s and Cantor’s criticism of the hatred coming from the right, “Let me be clear, though we may agree on many of the issues, those on the Right who practice hatred or violence towards their fellow Americans on the grounds of political differences do a disservice to the Republican Party. They are not reflecting the true values of this nation and we call on them to put such behavior aside, working instead in constructive ways to advance our causes. We are one country and one peopleΒ  but we are all entitled to our own beliefs,” Boehner expressed.

Who woulda thunk it?

No reaction from Pres. Obama yet but they must be stunned.

Maybe the Repubs believe that they’ll take over one or both houses of Congress in November and are trying to paint Dems in a corner if they become the minority.

Whatever the case, it seems that the GOP is cleverly tacking back towards the mainstream, possibly rescuing their party from fully diminishing into an extremist cult and becoming a permanent minority party.

This reversal and the prospect of politicians possibly returning to exhibiting a modicum of respect for each other and the government of this nation functioning once again for the benefit of the people is virtually unbelieveable.

Oh, and Happy April Fools Day!

Categories: News & Politics

“HELL NO!!!”

Just loved the photo and feel that I know just what Nancy would love to do with the gavel if she could. Very funny AdLib. A bit late to the party, sorry. 😳

2. javaz says:

Well, DOH!

After reading the headline, I went in search of the actual article and then it struck me that it had to be an April Fool! because it just makes too much sense.

Ya got me, AdLib!

(at least I figured it out before getting to the end of the article!)

That’ll teach me to read the entire article before going in search of --

πŸ™„

3. boomer1949 says:

And I was hoping she was going to hit him over the head with the gavel. πŸ™

It would be a cold day in Hell, April Fool’s Day or otherwise, before any of the above would ever happen.

Hope this gets picked up by the wire services -- can you imagine the big red headlines? πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

4. Chernynkaya says:

Another funny from The Onion:

Body Of Missing Mad Magazine Reporter Found In Blecchistan
    “/>

“Phil Fonebone’s death was a brutal act of barbarism perpetrated by a group of clods, finks, and schmendricks who stand in direct opposition to the values we cherish as a democratic society,” read a statement issued by Mad magazine. “On behalf of journalists and freedom lovers everywhere, we condemn this senseless, furshlugginer act of violence.”

5. nellie says:

You know, AdLib — this is a pretty good commentary on the state of things. This “report” is so reasonable and within the bounds of sensible expectation — it’s easy to believe. Ironic, isn’t it, that it works so well as a really good April Fools gotcha.

Excellent point. That struck me as I was editing it. I took out a couple of other elements that I thought might be a tip off but they were all reasonable things too.

It is a bit sad to think that attributing reasonable decisions to Republicans would not only be news, too much reasonable behavior would strain belief.

6. Chernynkaya says:

I think we should also try to caption that photo of Pelosi and Boner.

7. nellie says:

As they say, “The proof is in the pudding.”

I’m waiting for the next vote in congress before I give this any credence.

Thanks for the post, AdLib. If nothing else, it’s an interesting turn in rhetoric.

EDIT: HA! I just read the last line. Good one!

8. escribacat says:

Somebody must have had a “come to Jesus” talk with these guys.

EDIT: There’s a sucker born every minute. I owe you one, adlib!!! πŸ˜†

9. SueInCa says:

A republican was sitting at his campaign headquarters watching the election results when the phone rang.
    He listened intently, and after a moment his face brightened. When he hung up, he immediately turned to his mother to tell her the good news.

“Ma,” he said, “the results are in. I won the election!”

“Honestly?”

The politician’s smiled faded. “Aw, heck, Ma, why bring that up at a time like this?”

10. KQ says:

Thank God for the edit button because you fooled me since I did not read the whole post at first.

11. PatsyT says:

Why is it that you can’t circumcise Republicans ?

12. PatsyT says:

How many republicans does it take to screw in a light bulb?

13. Suzanne525 says:

You had me! I was actually getting pissed off that the Repubs might be wising up in time to pull some voters back into their camp before November!

I should have known better.

14. Chernynkaya says:

The ancient TV show, Candid Camera, was April Fools Day once a week.

Here’s an absolute CLASSIC with Woody Allen:

But I haven’t found my favorite one. πŸ™

• Suzanne525 says:

Thanks for the link. I’d never thought to look for those.

I vaguely recall the one about the guy taking the ticket with the high number, then waiting, waiting…..

Cher…it wouldn’t be the famous “Talking Mailbox” one, would it?

PS…This is naughty, but…if you put a wig, “winged glasses” and a dress on Woody Allen, would he not be talking to himself in this skit?

• Chernynkaya says:

Kes, HAH I thought that too!!!

• Chernynkaya says:

No, but that was hysterical! It was a guy who goes into a bakery. He is the only customer, but the counter girl tells him to “Take a number.” He does as he is told, and gets like # 67. She then proceeds to start with “Number one?” “Number two?” He is completely baffled, but says nothing until she gets to, # 23!

Well, ya had to be there!

Cher, that’s hilarious!

Years ago a counter girl here in town played an April Fool’s joke on herself and the local symphony orchestra, inadvertently.

Concerts are often performed at our local Art Museum in a hall referred to as the “Peristyle.”

I went to the ticket counter at a local mall and requested tickets for a Friday night concert at the Museum. “There are no tickets for concerts at the Museum,” she said. “Oh there must be,” I replied. “…you know, the Peristyle…?”

Suddenly, her eyes widened. “Uh-oh…I think I’m in t r o u b l e…”

Turns out she’d been refusing people tickets for DAYS for the Art Museum.

She finally figured it out.

When she handed me my tickets, they were in an envelope marked: “Paris Style” πŸ˜†

If the symphony wondered why attendance was so sparse that night, they would never have guessed. It was limited only to people who were willing to listen in the seldom-seen “Paris Style.”

• SueInCa says:

I wish they would bring it back. I would be one of the ones caught for sure.

15. Chernynkaya says:

BTW, has anyone gone to Google today?

16. Chernynkaya says:

Nice!Do you have Prince Albert in a can? πŸ˜†

Is your refrigerator running?

I bet you are also the bartender who yells out: Telephone call for Mike Hunt! Is Mike Hunt in the house? Anybody seen Mike Hunt? πŸ˜‰

17. SueInCa says:

Adlib
    Did you think you could fool the astute readers of this site? As soon as I saw the title, I thought “April Fools Day”. Here is one that might work for you and one I did pull successfully{{{{laughing}}}}}}

If you have a base of cutomers, look for a customer called Mr. Baer. Then give his name and the number of your local zoo to a staff member. Then watch their expression when they make the call.

A friend and I did that to our boss. He looked puzzled for a minute but then his face turned red, he hung up the phone and said, “Mary, Sue, in my office NOW”. He later played the same joke on our EVP and told him he learned it from the best pranksters.

18. choicelady says:

OK -- FELL for it! I’m a sucker for that hopey changey thing…

Me too!

I debated on whether I should blow it out as the article went on, had a section about them vowing to return to using the filibuster as historically used but even that bit seemed to tip the hand too much.

Kind of a sad commentary that the GOP just using the filibuster properly would be seen as preposterous.

19. choicelady says:

Uhhhhhhh- ??????

20. SanityNow says:

perfect prank, Ad, and pure fantasy. Would that it were…

I think it would genuinely be a great tactic that would oddly give the GOP the moral high ground and finally a reason to vote for them instead of against Dems. Meanwhile, the Dems would be in conflict with half refusing to cooperate based on past performance and the possibility that it was just a ploy.

But Repubs aren’t that that clever.