AdLib On January - 24 - 2010

Corporations Are People Too!

or

How to Explain The Supreme Court’s Derangement

to Your Child

by Dr. Suits

On a winter’s day in two thousand ten
A decision was made by five crazy men
Their words were all heard by the little boy, Trent
Who then asked his mother what all of this meant.

“Corporations are people? That seems very odd.
I haven’t met one in my class or schoolyard.”

“Do they have arms and legs? Do they like to kick balls?
Do they lick ice cream cones? Do they yell in the halls?”
His mother replied with a shake of her head,
“No they don’t but they’re people, the Justices said.”

“Do they like to climb trees? Do they walk? Do they run?
Do they like to breathe air? Do they sing just for fun?”
His mother replied with a face that was red,
“No they don’t but they’re people, the Justices said.”

“Do they vote in elections? Or drive a fast car?
Do they give birth to babies? Or wish on a star?”
His mother looked weary and ready for bed,
“No they don’t but they’re people, the Justices said.”

“Do they live? Do they die? Or even have souls?
Do they pour lots of milk in their cereal bowls?”
His mother’s heart fell as ifΒ  weighted by lead,
“No they don’t but they’re people, the Justices said.”

The little boy Trent had had quite enough,
He started to frown, he started to huff,
“What kind of people don’t breathe or have souls?
Don’t live and don’t die or have cereal bowls?”

“Those five men are dumber than all in my class,
My decision for them? They can allΒ  kiss my ass!”

Thank you everyone for all your fantastic support on this!

A head’s up, WTS is working on an original graphic that will be replacing the current graphic. So if you hear back from anyone you’ve contacted, please let them know we have a new original graphic for the article and send them a link to return here to see and use it instead.

Thanks!!!

2. Tiger99 says:

If you have a yahoo account buzz this and other articles… All you have to do is click the buzz icon next to the digg icon and sign in… It automaticly gives the article a vote and it creates a direct link back to PlanetPOV.

3. boomer1949 says:

Follow-up to my letter to Rachel…

No, I’ve not heard from her — yet!

However, I was successful at Digg, and…

After appropriate revisions, I sent it to:

Peter Sagal at Wait, Wait Don’t Tell Me

Jon Stewart at The Daily Show

Stephen Colbert at The Colbert Report

Senator Sherrod Brown (D-OH)

Contact at http://www.whitehouse.gov

and finally, intend to send to VP Biden by the end of the day.

• bitohistory says:

C’mon people! we only have six Diggs!!!

• BigDogMom says:

bito, had trouble this morning with the Digg button here, so I went directly to the Digg site, set up an account and put my Digg in that way.

Good job boomer!
      I have sent it out to 4-6 different places so far and plan to try to send it to more today. On the Rachel thing, I have sent her/staff about 4 different things and have asked her/staff to stop by the Planetpov. I have never gotten a reply but your letter was quite a bit better than mine. Yours is worthy of a reply.

• boomer1949 says:

Thanks bito. We’ll see — one would think at least a wink and a nod, but all too often it no longer happens. I guess the days of common courtesy are rare; yet I have my fingers crossed.

Even if we don’t hear back from anyone, it doesn’t stop them from stopping by the Planet with no fanfare.

4. Emerald1943 says:

Hello, all you beautiful PlanetPeople! I have missed every single one of you! Sorry to be away for so long but it’s a long story. My sister is home from the hospital and I have come to care for her. All I can say about it at this point is that it is a back-breaking job and I have little time for anything else.

Suffice it to say, Adlib has shown brilliance once again! I wish this article could be published in every newspaper across this country!

If you all remember, I wrote an article about this case back in December…in fact, it may have been my first on the Planet, called “Democracy DOA…Killed by the Supreme Court”. The only hope that we have to preserve any semblance of our democracy is Barney Franks and a few others in Congress who recognize the very grave danger. I have to admit that I have been discouraged in the past few days with Scott Brown’s senate victory and then, this story broke. The machine that we are up against is powerful indeed. Unless we fight it with every tool available to us, this country is going down the tubes!!

So I encourage everyone here to make calls, sign petitions, send emails, and write letters to your representatives in Congress asking them to legislatively do everything they can to stop this insanity!

Bravo, Adlib! You did it again! :-)

5. nellie says:

One of the quickest ways to share this article is to send it to DIGG.

Just below the star rating and the thumbs up thumbs down is a row of icons. These are share icons. The second one is for DIGG

If you want to DIGG AdLib

6. javaz says:

B’ito, I am sending it to the Apache Junction News and East Valley Independent, but thank you for reminding me of the New Times, and that is one of my favorite sources!!!
    This is right up their alley!

Oh, I wish AdLib could write a Dr. Suits when it comes to Sheriff Joe.
    Maybe I could try one, now that I think about.

• bitohistory says:

Dr Suits on Sheriff Joe! That would be a hoot πŸ˜† , do it girl!
      Yeah, the New Times might run with it!

Tucson Weekly? Daily Wildcat?

Sorry, I was going somewhere else with that…

But yes, I would also love to see Dr. Suits on Sherrif Joe.

• javaz says:

The bad thing is that I have never read Dr. Seuss and Green Ham and Eggs, or whatever.
        My poems or limericks are more in line with the Beverly Hillbillies.
        LMAO

Come and listen to a story about a sheriff named Joe,
        He’s under investigation
        By the Federal.

They’ve called a Grand Jury and they are investigating him,
        But what does he do, but blames the Obama Admin!

Mexicans, brown people, profiling.

What a rush it is, all of your humbling compliments and support, sharing this with the Intertubes and media, really blows me away!

I say this wearing my Admin hat, I am smiling widely because this is exactly what we should be doing as a community when articles here really strike a chord with us, sharing them with others and using them to help shine a spotlight on and grow The Planet.

I mentioned this on another thread but for those who missed it, an editor at a local newspaper in TN graciously asked if he could re-publish this article as an editorial. I was of course very happy to agree to that.

FYI, as Bito mentioned below, our only requirements for another entity to carry our articles or stories is that they fully credit the writer(s) and provide PlanetPOV’s full URL (as a link if at all possible).

What I hope the takeaway is from all of this is that The Planet’s orbit is getting bigger, thanks to the contributions of all of our members.

So from now on, when you publish an article at The Planet, I hope you keep in mind that there really are people out there, well beyond our membership, who are reading the thoughts and opinions in your articles…and you may be the next to have their article re-published elsewhere.

It’s amazing, this remarkable community of people that’s come together (and is growing) and all of the progress we’ve been making so swiftly.

And it’s only January!

Cheers!

• Tiger99 says:

I just Buzzed it on yahoo…

• javaz says:

The thing about sharing the author’s name, well, we all use IDs such as AdLib, or Boomer, or KQuark, etc.

Not sure how to ask this, but shouldn’t we author articles using our real names?
      I mean, that would be by choice, but it would be more professional, right?

HP has authors with real names, as do other sites, and what do you think?

Is this something to be addressed down the line if more articles get picked up from PPOV?

(just realized my corporate roots are showing)

Those are excellent questions. It was something I figured I’d have to think about down the line, it’s just popping up, happily, a little sooner than expected.

Blogging under anonymous names allows people to freely express themselves without concern of who may read what they write.

Also, with the trolls that are rampant in the blog world, I think it’s a wise idea to have an anonymous name as a firewall.

So as a rule, I think (and I believe most members would agree) that remaining anonymous is best.

Still, each member is free to decide that for themselves.

I’m in a slightly different situation because of my position here so I have different considerations to take into account.

That said, there is absolutely nothing improper about using your Planet user name as your byline if you or any other member has their article picked up and re-published elsewhere.

Just want to make clear to all that keeping their anonymity is not an issue in any case, it’s always up to each member and it will not be an obstacle to having your articles re-published elsewhere.

I’m for anonymity. For those of us still over yonder, especially.

Besides, with the articles I write, it’s par for the course, hehe.

• javaz says:

Yes, and I understand and agree with you, AdLib, but I’m thinking BIG time.
          And I am probably jumping the NRA gun, but it is something to be considered.

When I copy this, and send it to our little local papers, and the New Times, thanks to b’ito reminding me because they are going to love this, but, well, in time, we would be taken more seriously if our authors used real names.

We’re like pundits here or reporters, and well, it’s all so complicated, and thank dog that it is you and not me making these tough decisions!!!

I did look at Daily Kos as I am a member and also a member of alternet and another site from the UK, and they publish under names as we do here, so maybe I’m jumping way too far ahead in thinking we could compete with HP.

That’s my goal, btw, is to become a real source of news, and as news is today, it’s using opinion and paste and copy.

K7 was so right in saying the MSM is lazy.
          Because that is what our news is today.

Yeah, I’m thinking way too far ahead!
          I’m an optimist, what can I say???
          πŸ˜†

You are 100% right. I always plan for success as best as I can and as The Planet continues its trajectory, I recognize that precedent and practicality dictate a transition from anonymity for this Admin.

I mean, it’s showing a minimum of consideration, people do need to know who they’re supposed to sue.

• bitohistory says:

Right AdLib, how much does the Planet have after expenses? $14.37 ? Do you have gas money to get to court? πŸ˜†

I’m just trying to break even. You and many others have been so kind and generous with our fundraising drive, once we make it to the target, that’s 2010 expenses for web hosting paid for.

Hope to have another fundraiser later in the year to help pay for the programming we’d like to do at the site to make some cool changes.

As for gas money for court…probably better off riding my bicycle there. πŸ˜‰

8. boomer1949 says:

So last night while I was hanging out waiting for our Friday soiree, I felt inspired to dash off an email to Rachel Maddow. Nicole473 asked me to post, but I wasn’t sure whether I should or not. AdLib gave me a thumbs up, so here it is:

Subject: An Invitation to Visit PlanetPOV!!!

Dear Dr. Maddow (okay cut me some slack, I’m a former academic, what can I say):

Never-the-less, I would like to invite you to visit a newer blog I’ve found http://www.planetpov.com. It is fresh, contains an enormous amount of talent (me? not quite, but I’m working on it), members from many countries, many Americans living in other countries for whatever circumstance, and regular, everyday American people. No fooling Doc. — regular folks. No agenda, no demands, no hostages, no expectations other than a desire to be heard above the political hyperbole, commentary, and most recent SCOTUS ruling.

Should I cry now or later? Will it help or convince you to take a look see?

In any event, and I realize you are inundated on a daily basis to visit, speak, show up, wink, nod, and all the other politically correct shit, to hear all of us demanding your attention.

Doc — Rachel — if you are short on things to do over the weekend or the beginning of next week — please peruse The Planet http://www.planetpov.com

Nothing would please our contributors more than to have you “check us out.” And…the benefit to you is that no one, including us, will even know you were observing for awhile.

I am including a recent contribution by one of our phenomenal authors, and some of us who were carried away on a Friday afternoon in the middle of January, simply because the offering was nothing less than tongue and cheek funny. Damn funny! If nothing else, Doc, please read the contribution by AdLib and overlook those of us who were just celebrating the end of the week (journalists not -- having fun — for sure).

Thank you for your time Rachel. I respect you, your voice and do not want to intrude. However, I do hope you take a peek on your own time, but a peek nonetheless.

Thanks Rachel!

Sincerely,
    boomer1949

9. FlyingLotus says:

AdLib, I think you’re going to need an agent.

10. Chernynkaya says:

Adlib-- fantastic!! Perfect, just perfect.

11. BigDogMom says:

Hey AdLib…googled “Corporations are people too!” and found that the Daily Kos picked it up:

Woo Hoo!!!!

Good for yoooo!!!!

So, does AdLib know about this?

❗ ❗ ❗

πŸ˜€

• boomer1949 says:

I don’t know…haven’t seen him today…has anyone else?

• bitohistory says:

He replied to my email earlier, and I mentioned it to him.

• javaz says:

He’s probably being inundated by the “elite” progressives in between courses while dining at Elaine’s.
          How fast they forget the ‘little’ people!
          :mrgreen:

Need to know if we can send this off to our little local paper, since it’s one of the rare liberal papers in the state.
          It’s a really small paper and delivered for free once a week.

• bitohistory says:

j’avaz, do you have someone to send it to at the Phoenix weekly? New times? They are part of a large chain of weeklies. They bought out the Village Voice In NYC.
            I am going to send it to the Tucson Weekly, they are part of a smaller chain. Wicker, I think

• bitohistory says:

j’avaz, that was my question to AdLib about a paper or site using it. His reply to me was

That would be fantastic! Our only requirements for publishing a Planet
            article is giving the author credit and providing the full website URL.
            Please go ahead and send it on.

So I sent it to an op-ed writer I know in FL with those instructions.

IT’S GOING VIRAL

• javaz says:

I know and feel so proud of being part of something that is starting off small, but it’s going to hit and hit BIG this year, and this is only the beginning!

Just think, by the end of the year, us old-timers here will be reminiscing about how this site used to be!

πŸ˜†

• bitohistory says:

I-Pods aren’t those the things that run out from under a rock with a bunch of legs and feet/pods

• javaz says:

Love it!
              Whipper-snapper, which I am, just as you are, being that we’re 39 years old and all, and can’t figure out how people played them large discs in their CD players, or worse, Ipods.

Btw, we don’t own an Ipod!

• bitohistory says:

Hey, whippersnapper, do you remember j’avaz and her Halloween post? I think it was back in the year ’09! πŸ˜†

WOW! Just checked in today and this is amazing!!
      AdLib, just be sure you remember the little people when you have your own seat at the round table talk shows on Sunday morning TV!
      Congrats! You so completely deserve all the notice/praise this piece has attracted. You are a gem.

• boomer1949 says:

Yea, another pick up…WOO HOO!!!

Hey, k’es, He’s the one that will flying around with Bill M. πŸ˜‰
        This pretty cool, isn’t it? I like the part that says “to read the rest….”

Hey, b’ito, you and AdLib have hit the big time. I see guest appearances on Colbert and Daily Show in the crystal ball.
          I checked in after work (1 a.m….why does tachycardia decide to strike patients at precisely 11 p.m.?) and it looked as though you had a boatload of Birthday Worship--which you totally deserved. And, you even managed to check in between courses at Elaine’s! Happy Day After Your 39th.
          And--yes--DailyKos seems to be sending folks our way to read the “rest of the story.” Yay!

PS My tachycardia patient is fine. We fixed her with some good meds.

• bitohistory says:

This is a comment from dailykos that I liked:

If a corporation is an individual, then are the stock holders not the owners of that individual? Is ownership of an individual not slavery? And is slavery not illegal?

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to see it -- how do you know there’s a forest?

by zappedpyramid on Fri Jan 22, 2010 at 02:15:24 PM PST

• nellie says:

WOW!

That’s fantastic.

• escribacat says:

Wow!! Adlib — did you know about this?

• bitohistory says:

Mother of God!! That is fantastic! Are we going to lose AdLib to the “Big Times?”

12. Tiger99 says:

Brilliant!!! Once the Court became an offshoot of Political Ideologies it was time to dismantle it… I have a feeling we may all become Barbarians at the Gates soon…

13. Beachchick says:

This is creative and clever. I am impressed, Adlib!

Outstanding

Hey my friend, such a pleasure to read in my confused early morning state. A treasure to keep, read again when I need a dose of reality dished up on my plate.

Absolutely fabulous!!