javaz On November - 25 - 2009

TURKEYSweb

Thanksgiving can be a day of joyful family reunion or, a dreaded day of obligation that must be attended out of guilt.

Does Thanksgiving for you mean a warm home with the mouth-watering scents of spices from pumpkin pie, the herbs from stuffing and sweet Italian sausage emanating the air, and the family sitting around the fire watching football and reminsincing about good times from the past?

Or

Does Thanksgiving provoke feelings of fear from Uncle Alcott imbibing in a bit too much cheer and telling embarrassing tales about the time you got sick from grandma’s pudding and barfed all over the table, had a wee bit accident in your knickers, and sadly, that only happened three years ago?

Must you be forced to hear siblings success stories and grand fortunes, while looking at you and asking if you’ve found a job yet?

Do you suffer cousin Ned staggering to the table and grabbing the turkey by its legs from the platter while describing the date he had last week with a pretty coed?

Do you wonder when you sit down to eat, if this year, Grandma Hicks dropped the bird on the floor and let the slobbering hounds lick it again?

And what did Aunt Philomena put in her Jell-O mold? Is it supposed to be yellowish green and fuzzy?

What does Thanksgiving mean to you?

Categories: Humor, Society

Written by javaz

I am a retired aerospace engineer, happily married for over twenty-four years. My hobbies include blogging on PPOV, reading mystery/romance novels, playing guitar, learning the piano and writing. My husband and I love to travel in our camper/trailer, and have visited 45 states, besides having lived in France for 2 years and seeing most of Europe. "Today is the first day of the rest of your life? Well, that's true of every day but one - the day you die." American Beauty "All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure." Mark Twain "A man is never more truthful than when he acknowledges himself a liar." Mark Twain

1. Mogamboguru says:

Just one short remark on Thanksgiving, before I am out for the night (got a bad headache).

In case you ever wondered, why the american turkey looks so unwieldy: The american Turkey http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkey_%28bird%29 is, in fact, a far-flung relative of the Turkey Vulture http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkey_Vulture. 😎

Enjoy your Thanksgiving-“scavenging a scavenger”! :-))

2. bitohistory says:

javaz, good job! Let’s have fun. Happy T-Day all!!
    Did Grandma Hicks really do that?
    About those knickers. 😆

• javaz says:

Well, actually, I did that!
      LOL
      Except at the time, didn’t have a dog, but 4 very happy cats!
      Shhhh -- don’t tell anyone.
      We think we got all the cat hair off the turkey!

My husband’s family, when we were much younger, well, we’ve got stories since we were all hearty-partiers.
      There are some great and funny memories, some very angry memories, no memories and memories I’d like to forget!

• bitohistory says:

Cat hairs-Pin feathers. No difference. Just use a torch an burn those suckers away.

• javaz says:

Everyone was so drunk or stoned, they wouldn’t have noticed anyway!

One of my favorite memories from back in the day was a brother-in-law who thought drinking Peppermint Schnopz (?) at one point was a good idea.
          When it came time to eat, we searched for him and found him on his hands and knees in the backyard and when we asked if he were sick, he said no, he had to pee!
          Like people, even men, usually get on their hands and knees to pee!
          It still makes me laugh, but I guess you had to be there because he was serious, even slurring his words!

• bitohistory says:

Really, “Occifer” just one beer!lol

• KQuark says:

😆 hiccup, occifur I only had ti martoonies.

• javaz says:

Oh gosh no, we did host most of the dinners back then because my husband and I love to cook and I love to bake, and most people spent the night.
              The worst part was waking up the next morning to dirty glasses, empty beer cans, wine bottles and dirty dishes and crumbs all over, and people all over. We don’t entertain anymore.
              We drank, too, but mainly our thing was the ‘herb’, but I learned a lesson about going to bed and leaving a bunch of drunks to have at it.
              And don’t even get me started on the things we found in the bathroom!

3. KQuark says:

I love Thanksgiving it’s my favorite holiday. Unfortunately I have not been able to spend it with my family the last few years because of my health but just being with my wife is thanks enough.

I’m not going to lie one reason I love Thanksgiving is for the food, a turkey diner with all the trimmings is my favorite meal. I was born exactly 9 months after Thanksgiving so my wife calls me a turkey baby.

Just as important I’m thankful for all the people that make life better whether they take care of us or protect us.

4. escribacat says:

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. I like to cook for the family and save treats for the dogs and the kitty and have the smell of roast turkey in the house. For me it’s a warm, sharing holiday.

It’s Christmas that I usually dread, with all its endless “thingies.”

• PatsyT says:

Our dogs go nuts all day long, if I were to turn my back I am sure they would devise a way to open the oven and drag off that turkey !

• javaz says:

My husband makes the turkey and dressing and his dressing is so scrumptious since he adds pepperoni and uses sweet Italian sausage.

We don’t go overboard for Christmas, and this year, it’s going to be very simple with the economic challenges we’re all experiencing.
      But simple is best!

5. nellie says:

I have mixed feelings about Thanksgiving. From a family point of view, it’s all peace an love. I have a fabulous extended family. And our holidays spent together are like big parties, with everyone laughing and joking and telling stories. So my childhood memories of Thanksgiving are about good smells and people cooking and laughing all day, eating too much, talking about how delicious everything is, telling people they’re the best cooks in the world, and remembering all the good stories.

Now, I’ve grown up into something of an iconoclast. So things are a little different. Family still spends a lot time together, but often as not, I will sidestep the holidays. Just to give my world view some respect from time to time.

I’m trying to get into the habit of doing more volunteering during the holidays — for people who don’t have the good fortune I had.

• javaz says:

Always a wonderful time to volunteer!

The holidays for me are bittersweet, but I always get choked up when placing a dollar in the bucket of a Salvation Army Bell ringer and they say, “God bless you and Merry Christmas.”
      I don’t know why, but I just choke up and can barely speak.

6. dndobson says:

Thanksgiving is the 2nd of the 4 Holidays of the Apocalypse. Getting it behind me means there are only 2 to go before I can add up how much it all cost.