AdLib On September - 1 - 2012

It’s Labor Day weekend which makes it an ideal weekend for a music theme about work, working men and women and taking care of business. Share your favorite songs about work, that get you through your work day or dedicated to those who work hard to make things better for their families and others.

Working For a Living – Huey Lewis and the News

Bang On The Drum – Todd Rungren

Taking Care of Business – Bachmann Turner Overdrive

Summertime Blues – The Who

Telegraph Road – Dire Straits

Working Class Hero – John Lennon

Categories: Music Thread

1. PatsyT says:

MERLE TRAVIS -- Sixteen Tons

Vanz Kant Danz -- John Fogerty

Have a Cigar -- Pink Floyd

3. foodchain says:

cooking dinner, but can’t wait to hear these tunes in the morning

4. Johnny Cash--Legend of John Henry;

• foodchain says:

Hi KT, just listening to BelafoGreat machine vs man song. Rousing, eh!

• Hey FC. I laid track for Con Rail, for a year. Hardest work I ever did. But I was only 20 then, so I could handle it.

• foodchain says:

Is that gandy dancing? I did, with a manual post hole digger, put up a rail fence for a horse pasture. That was fun though because I wanted to be a no non-sense country girl. I went to bed tired.

• FC, yeah, it was once called Gandy Dancing. Today they use a lot of different machines, but laying track is still very physical work.

• FC, trains are a really great way to travel, if you’re not in a big hurry. I took a train from Portland Oregon, to Ohio once. It was really cool. The scenery along the way was incredible. Great mountains and rivers, all the really small towns…etc.
              There is a certain romantic element to train travel. I still find a train whistle off in the distance, late at night, to be hauntingly beautiful.

• foodchain says:

KT, not one small thing about trains. I can only imagine the scope. Trains still capture a special feeling.

5. foodchain says:

Harry Belefonte, “Day-O” in an “educational” format. Pretty much fun for Labor Day

6. Grateful Dead--Cumberland Blues;

7. The Beatles--A Hard Day’s Night;

8. foodchain says:

fan or not: Billy Joel “Allentown” good video

9. Steppenwolf--Smokey Factory Blues;

10. foodchain says:

Working At the Car Wash Blues” Jim Croce !

11. John Hartford--Goin To Work In Tall Buildings;

12. foodchain says:

HEY! “Let’s Work Together, Canned Heat”

13. Loverboy--Working For The Weekend;