AdLib On June - 23 - 2012

Kids are out of school, Independence Day is just around the corner and The Republicans are trying to barbecue the Attorney General…it’s now officially summer.

So this weekend’s music theme is all about summer. Vacations and travel, relaxing days and warm nights, enjoying nature and the great outdoors, anything that reminds you of summer won’t be a bummer in this music thread.

Summer in the City – The Lovin’ Spoonful

In the Summertime – Mungo Jerry

California Sun – The Ramones

Surfin’ USA – Beach Boys

Summer Wind – Frank Sinatra

Soak Up the Sun – Sheryl Crow

Categories: Music Thread

1. SueInCa says:

Waiamai beach North Shore -- Oahu

This beach is incredible summer winter fall or srping. I have seen all but fall but I am sure it is still beautiful

BFF, those waves are scary-huge!

I’ve often thought that male humans are an amazing piece of work. When you consider them sailing oceans in tiny wooden sailboats in the 15th century, going to the moon in a little metal capsule (and getting back), pulling a human heart out of a human chest and plugging in someone else’s (and having it work), facing down waves that would send animal critters running the opposite direction, jumping out of airplanes with silken umbrella thingies that may or may not open… Well, you get the picture.

It’s not that women don’t ever do those things. But somehow — it’s always a guy who initially says: “Hey! I’ve got an idea…!”

• Sue, I love watching big wave surfing. I would attempt it, but I like to watch the daredevils that do.

• SueInCa says:

KT
        My grandson is really into surfing. We were in Maui and got to talking to some locals on a beach there and they took him out on a board. Not real big waves but he got a taste for it and they let him surf with them for an hour or so. Now he wants to take lessons. We live near the ocean but not close enough to take him for regular lessons so I told him he will have to get lessons as we can get him to the shore. He likes water sports he skis, tubes, knee boards and rides on a jet ski. He loves it all. Not bad for a kid who when we went to Disneyland in 2008 would not go in the hotel pool because he could not swim and did not want to wear a ski vest.

That summer we had him in our pool all the time and he not only learned how to swim he went nuts on water sports. We will probably take him back to Hawaii next year.

• Sue, that’s pretty cool. Swimming is great exercise. I used to love it, until I almost drowned one day while body surfing. If a friend of mine hadn’t been there that day, I wouldn’t be here today. That experience sort of put me off on swimming.

• SueInCa says:

KT Same happened to me but I learned about tides and undertow and never turning your back on the ocean. I don’t go out as far as my husband and grandson would but they are far stronger swimmers than I.

2. SueInCa says:

And here just south of Half Moon Bay in San Francisco bay area -- Mavericks. took my grandson last year he was in awe of the talent

3. SueInCa says:

Endless Summer

What every surfer dreams of finding -- the perfect wave

4. SueInCa says:

Don Henley
    Boys of Summer

5. SueInCa says:

Summer Breeze
    Seals and Crofts

6. SueInCa says:

Bryan Adams
    Summer of 69

7. SueInCa says:

Ella Fitzgerald
    Summertime

8. SueInCa says:

Sam Cooke
    Summertime(And the Living is Easy)

9. SueInCa says:

Scott McKenzie
    San Francisco

Eric Burdon
    San Francisco Nights

10. PatsyT says:

Zombies!

Up on the Roof

See you in September

11. Tom Waits--San Diego Serenade;

Whenever I think of San Diego, I think of summer. (plus, I just love this song)

12. Johnny Rivers--Summer Rain;