bito On July - 3 - 2011

YOUR THOUGHTS ARE WELCOMED

The place to post your comments without interrupting the single topic posts. However, be mindful of the strict rules!!

If you find the rules here are too confining, try the Morning Blog.

YOU MAY ONLY POST COMMENTS HERE IF:

THEY ARE OFF TOPIC, TO POST LINKS TO ARTICLES, TO COMMENT, TO SAY HELLO, TO HAVE A DIALOG, TO POST A VIDEO, TO PLAY, TO ASK QUESTIONS, TO HAVE OPINIONS, TO DISCUSS, TO POST KITTIES/PUPPIES/CARTOONS, TO TELL JOKES AND STORIES,

AND A BUNCH OF OTHER STUFF I CAN’T THINK OF RIGHT NOW.

BUT ABSOLUTELY, NO SPITTING, EYE GOUGING OR HITTING ABOVE OR BELOW THE BELT!!

You know the rules, now follow them! Please?

Every so often I intrude TO/OT with a personal pick of a site that I find important that I feel needs to be shared and not lost in the shuffle of the constant flow of thoughts on The Planet.

And yet with globalization, we seem to have developed a strange apprehension about the efficacy of our ability to apply the innovation and hard work necessary to successfully compete in a complex security and economic environment. Further, we have misunderstood interdependence as a weakness rather than recognizing it as a strength. The key to sustaining our competitive edge, at home or on the world stage, is credibility — and credibility is a difficult capital to foster. It cannot be won through intimidation and threat, it cannot be sustained through protectionism or exclusion. Credibility requires engagement, strength, and reliability — imaginatively applied through the national tools of development, diplomacy, and defense.

The Y Article

A National Security Narrative

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

kesmarn says:

Working in a hospital tends to teach people to keep their emotions pretty much under control — at least while they’re on the job. But tonight I came about as close to losing it as I ever have.

I was admitting a patient who needed in-patient attention because she was so sick from the side effects of chemo that she was getting dehydrated. She was down to about 88 pounds and was so weak that walking the short distance to the bathroom was almost too much for her. In the process of the admission interview, we are required to ask patients whether they have any concerns about paying for medications or their hospitalization.

Her answer was: “Oh yes! The state just threw me off of Medicaid. I ended up on Medicare, but I have no Part D, so I have to pay for all my own meds.” (This included her chemo.) “I’ve tried and tried to call my case worker but the phone just rings and rings most times. If I am able to get through, all I can do is leave a voice mail. And the case worker never calls back.”

I assured her that the Social Service people would get on the case and advised her to let them fight the battle for her while she got some rest.

Inside, I was boiling.

This is not “austerity.” This is murder.

How Kasich and his Tea Party cronies could expect this frail, very ill woman to navigate through the systematic and deliberately neglectful maze they had set up is beyond me. I’m sure the medicaid case workers have ridiculously unrealistic caseloads. I doubt that they are intentionally refusing to return her calls. No. The blame for this horror story doesn’t fall on the patient, the case worker, the hospital, or the Department of Job and Family Services.

The blame for this belongs squarely on the shoulders of John Kasich, the Koch brothers who own him, and the RW in the State of Ohio.

There should be an especially hot corner of the Great Eternal E-Z Bake reserved for that crew, comes the REAL rapture.

EVIL!

~~~~~~

American Civic Knowledge Survey

Both the ancient Greeks and Romans valued wise and public-spirited citizens. Let’s see just how wise you really are? Are you a Barbarian, Philosopher King, or something in-between?

Mapping the Measure of America

Written by bito

Was once a handsome frog until kissed by an ugly corporate princess.----- Like a well honed knife, the internet can be a wonderful and useful tool. It can be used to prepare and serve a delicious meal or it can be used to cause harm. peace

4,612 Responses so far.

1. Emerald1943 says:

An interesting piece from “Politicus USA” that nails it:

============================

When attempting to analyze intelligence, there are many standardized tests to get an approximation of an individual’s ability for abstract thought, understanding, communication, reasoning, learning, planning, emotional intelligence and problem solving. However, there are very few reliable standardized tests available to measure common sense. There are numerous studies that measure the correlation between common sense and an individual’s intelligence quotient, but common sense is dependent on factors that are too varied to form an opinion of a population’s ability to make sound judgments of practical benefit to themselves and society in general. It is becoming evident that a segment of America’s population is lacking in intelligence and common sense, and the result has been devastating for all Americans. The ascendance and support two of the GOP presidential contenders have garnered is further proof that much of the population is wallowing in rank stupidity that should embarrass most Americans and part of the blame lies with the media.

It is always a mystery why anyone would support and vote for ignorant buffoons like Michele Bachmann or Rick Perry, but religious fanatics have always appealed to morons. However, when morons support candidates who appeal to a deity for intervention as a solution to problems that sound economic policy and scientific research have resolved, one cannot help but mourn the loss of common sense and reason. For the past ten years, the segment of the population who has voted for policies that are against their own self-interest has grown to the point that America is close to economic collapse and theocracy. There is no excusing the insane policies of Bachmann and Perry, but the fact that they are enjoying any popularity is mind-boggling; and frightening.

The other day, Michele Bachmann made the coldhearted remark that the Virginia earthquake and hurricane Irene were warnings from god that America must follow Republicans’ economic agenda. She said, “I don’t know how much God has to do to get the attention of the politicians. We’ve had an earthquake; we’ve had a hurricane. He said, ‘Are you going to start listening to me here?’ Listen to the American people because the American people are roaring right now. They know government is on a morbid obesity diet and we’ve got to rein in the spending.” Any reasonable American comprehends that god does not send Bachmann private messages about the economy, and it begs the question; why isn’t Bachmann laughed off the national stage immediately? Part of the reason is the media did not report her remarks on every news program and newspaper in the nation, but the prescient point is her message resonates with a large segment of the population. Bachmann has also floated the idea that eliminating the minimum wage is a solution to America’s economic woes and that she still enjoys any support whatsoever is stunning in itself. There is a large segment of the population that supports Bachmann’s bid to be leader of the free world, and they are stupid beyond belief to support a candidate who will preside over their descent into abject poverty.

Rick Perry is the current GOP front-runner for president and he is as much a fundamentalist nut-job as Bachmann. A while ago, Perry called for three days of prayer to end the drought that is devastating Texas as well as to solve America’s economic problems. Despite his appeal to lunacy, Perry enjoys widespread support among Republicans as well as the fundamentalist nutcases who joined him in praying for rain and an economic fix. Perry has also continued his argument that Social Security is a Ponzi scheme and patently unconstitutional. He has also made sure that creation is being taught to school children as science, and denies that global climate change is occurring despite the overwhelming scientific evidence to the contrary. Perry, like Bachmann, should be laughed out of office for his extreme beliefs and reliance on god to solve America’s problems, but he is not because a large segment of the population is absolutely stupid.

Besides their beliefs about an ancient Jewish deity speaking to them, both Bachmann and Perry are promoting policies that will condemn Americans to a life of poverty so corporations can continue raping the economic life out of working-class America. It is safe to say that their supporters will be affected most by their belief that Social Security is bad and the minimum wage is wrong. Obviously, the racist element plays a factor in their popularity, but even racists cannot subsist on less-than-minimum wages or no Social Security. Any American who supports or votes for Perry or Bachmann is voting against their own self-interest. It isn’t just this year that conservatives have voted against their own self-interests and it informs that there is a growing epidemic of voter stupidity.

There are numerous examples of poor, elderly voters advocating for more tax breaks for the rich and corporations even though they are barely subsisting on less than $800 a month from Social Security. Earlier this month, teabag leaders said their supporters would take economic hits, privatized Medicare, and lower wages that Republicans were promoting to bring the deficit under control. There is a point that survival should overcome stupidity, but this nation has become so tragically stupid that it is beginning to affect the entire population. One could excuse low intelligence, but it is difficult to excuse lack of common sense that is dooming every person in America. Of course, a major share of the blame is on main-stream-media that will not report to the masses the insane agenda Republicans are promoting so the wealthy can continue prospering.

There is no answer to the epidemic of stupidity among Republicans who support Bachmann and Perry. Their support among fanatic Christian extremists is one thing, but when main-stream Republicans are lining up to praise, contribute, and support the incredibly stupid candidates, there is a problem that will eventually doom America. Good economic policy can help the economy and create jobs, and sound science can lead to alleviating global climate change, but appealing to god, eliminating the minimum wage, and privatizing Social Security will never help the American people. America survived Adolf Hitler and Osama Bin Laden, but it cannot survive rank stupidity from its own citizens. It is unfortunate, but Republicans count on Americans’ stupidity to win elections, and unless there is an interdiction of common sense and intelligence, this country is doomed. It is too bad the Founding Fathers did not prohibit stupid people from inhabiting this country because if they did, we would not be in the dire shape we find ourselves.

• KQuark says:

Everyone should read this but they won’t. Thanks for posting it and I retweeted it already.

Republicans count on two kinds of ignorance. First they count on fooling stupid people to vote for them. Second they count on people who lean left to be so jaded that they don’t vote.

2. bito says:

Just in my email:

Today I asked for a joint session of Congress where I will lay out a clear plan to get Americans back to work. Next week, I will deliver the details of the plan and call on lawmakers to pass it.

Whether they will do the job they were elected to do is ultimately up to them.

But both you and I can pressure them to do the right thing. We can send the message that the American people are playing by the rules and meeting their responsibilities — and it’s time for our leaders in Congress to meet theirs.

And we must hold them accountable if they don’t.

So I’m asking you to stand with me in calling on Congress to step up and take action on jobs:

No matter how things go in the weeks and months ahead, this will be an important challenge for our organization.

It’s been a long time since Congress was focused on what the American people need them to be focused on.

I know that you’re frustrated by that. I am, too.

That’s why I’m putting forward a set of bipartisan proposals to help grow the economy and create jobs — that means strengthening our small businesses, giving needed breaks to middle-class families, while taking responsible steps to bring down our deficit.

I’m asking lawmakers to look past short-term politics and take action on that plan. But we’ve got to do this together.

I will deliver this message to Congress next week, but I’m asking you to stand alongside me today:

More to come,

Barack

Get behind or get left!

3. funksands says:

Good article by Dean Baker (a fav of mine)

The End of Loser Liberalism: Making Markets Progressive

Plus he lets you download the whole book for free! :-)

4. KQuark says:

OK this is one of the most alarming statistics I ever heard about healthcare in America compared to Europe. In fact it’s so alarming I don’t believe it until I see how the statistic was determined. Just wanted to right this little disclaimer in case it cannot be verified.

Number of hospital-acquired infections that lead to death:
    Europe: 1 in 122
    United States: 1 in 7

Here’s the graphic attached to the article.

” alt=”The Hazards of Hospitals” width=”500″ border=”0″ />
    Created by: Medical Billing and Coding

I guess that 1 in 7 number hits me because I did once have an infection I acquired in a hospital and now I feel like I literally won in a sick game of Russian Roullete.

• KQuark says:

OK now I’m really suspicious of how they found that 1 in 7 number since I found a figure that refutes it.

Mortality/Morbidity Healthcare-associated infections result in excess length of stay, mortality and healthcare costs. In 2002, an estimated 1.7 million healthcare-associated infections occurred in the United States, resulting in 99,000 deaths.[11] In March 2009, the CDC released a report estimating overall annual direct medical costs of healthcare-associated infections that ranged from $28-45 billion.[12]

A report from the CDC showed that among the intensive care units in the United States, the year 2009 had 25,000 fewer central line-associated bloodstream infections (CLABSI) than in 2001, representing a 58% reduction. Between 2001 and 2009, an estimated 27,000 lives were saved and potential $1.8 billion cumulative excess health-care costs were prevented. Coordinated efforts from state and federal agencies, professional societies, and healthcare personnel in implementing best practices for insertion of central lines were thought to play a role in this achievement.[

About 1 in 17 is still very bad but this article says less people were infected in 2009 compared to 2002 so the situation seems to be getting better at least with overall infection rates.

• SueInCa says:

KQ
      There is an infection that is very common from hospital stays like C.difficile, bacterial and staph infections. Hospitals have more germs than your bathroom at home more than likely.

• bito says:

I reserve my wish for C.diff to Cheney, Rove, and this week especially, to Eric Cantor. That is a very nasty debilitating infection especially when undergoing chemotherapy!
        Excuse me, I wish no harm to anyone but…. 😉

• KQuark says:

I have no doubt people get that many infections because what you said is 100% true. But do that many people in the US die from them. It seems like it would be a national health crisis like one of those “outbreak” movies.

5. bito says:

No Michelle, this is “Radical Idiocy!” Do you even have any concept of the fresh water that the glades, “The River of Grass”, furnishes for millions of Floridians? The wild life it supports? The filtering of chemicals it does and the fisheries that it supports? I have heard many idiotic things out of her ‘brain’ but this one takes the cake ❗

Bachmann Doubles Down On Drilling In Everglades, Says Only ‘Radical Environmentalists’ Would Oppose

Tuesday, a CBS reporter in Miami confronted Bachmann about her call for drilling, asking, “Why would you invade that natural resource with gas and oil drilling?” Bachmann responded, “Let’s access this wonderful treasure trove of energy that God has given us in this country. Let’s access it responsibly.”

Is there even any oil beneath the Everglades? 10News sat down with USF Geologist Dr. Albert Hine, and he told us, “There is no known evidence that there is a significant hydrocarbon deposit beneath the Everglades.”[…]

Bachmann hasn’t been deterred by any naysayers, telling 10News, “The radical environmentalists put up one road block after another to prevent accessing American energy. We also have oil in the Eastern Gulf region.”

Great! Let’s tear down the mountains, rivers, and streams in all national parks and let’s drain all the lakes in Minnesota and the Great Lakes for beloved oil!

My first visit to the beloved ‘Glades was in the 50’s and the sky went dark with flocks of birds, I ate the snook, the shrimps, the snapper and bass and enjoyed, appreciated the diversity of LIFE there.

Excuse me, “But you stupid bitch!” It is a precious resource, but not for OIL!

What a small, small mind!

• Emerald1943 says:

Bito, this woman is a complete imbecile! There is nothing else to say about her. But she is, unfortunately, just one of a number of idiots who believe that a god gave us the earth to exploit, rape and pillage to our hearts’ content. There is NO recognition that this planet is finite with finite resources, no recognition that the pillaging of this fragile planet is causing the destruction of the environment for man and animal alike!

There have been many comments on PPOV about the Dominionists and their agenda for the country. Michelle Bachmann is among this group of religious extremists who believe that their idea of a deity gives them the right to exploit the planet for “free market principles”. Why supposedly sane people listen to this tripe is a mystery to me! I certainly don’t mean to step on anyone’s toes about religion, but the more I know about this brand of christianity, the more I wonder how so many people can be duped!

Drilling for oil may not be directly connected to Bachmann’s religion, but in the larger sense, it is a part of her overall belief in the words from the book of Genesis in the bible, namely that her god gave man dominion over the earth. The fundamentalists take this stuff literally!

Surely, there are enough “sane” people left in Florida to stop this…although on second thought, they DID elect Rick Scott. Scary!!

• bito says:

I am begging for a reaction on this outrageous stance of Bachmann! We have made fun of her stupid “history” fluffs, but I find this beyond despicable.

• Emerald1943 says:

Bito, I just posted an article above about the “dumbing down” of the country by Republicans and the brainless support of candidates like Bachmann and Perry. I believe it fits right into the narrative.

If we don’t defeat this RW christian fundamentalism and get these people out of our politics, our country is doomed! I know that sounds hyperbolic, but unfortunately, it is the truth!

6. escribacat says:

HP outdoing its vile self with an outrageously despicable headline this evening. What a bunch of third-rate hacks.

7. ADONAI says:

Today’s Top 5

Top 5 Candy Bars of All Time

1.)Whatchamacallit -- Still my favorite to this day

2.)Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups -- Probably the most popular candy bar in America right now.

3.)5th Avenue -- Simple, cheap, very tasty.

4.)Kit Kat -- There’s 4 of them!

5.)Crunch Bar -- Used to be number one. Still a favorite.

[img][/img]

• funksands says:

What? No Payday? Heresy!!

• KQuark says:

Very tough so I’ll cheat. 😉

1) Any fine chocolate bar with raisins and nuts is my fave starting with Cadbury (sucks Hershey’s bought the right to make them here) fruit and nut bar.

2) Any fine chocolate bar with caramel alone or with nuts and again Caramellow is a good example.

3) Ghiradelli chocolate squares (I’m literally eating a dark chocolate and mint now). Lindt’s is also very good and has some exotic flavors. I think Godiva is a bit overrated.

4) Any chocolate Europeans use to bring us from there when I worked for European companies.

5) Baby Ruth and about 90% of the commercial chocolate bars on the market.

I actually interned at Nestle’s chocolate one summer in one of their R&D labs way before they went all corporate psychopath. The R&D chefs from Sweden use to make us all kinds of wonderful treats. I use to love when they made Crunch bars with a bit of Strawberry flavor added.

I guess you get it now. I love chocolate. I only eat it in moderation now and eat much more dark chocolate than I did as well.

• SueInCa says:

I cannot believe you did not List Mounds or Heath Bar, two of my faves

Lawrence O’Donnell predicts with certitude an Obama reelection.

Now I’m scared.

9. bito says:

What Would Cantor Do?

What would Jesus Eric Cantor do in the face of a disaster for which relief funding must be approved?
    If it were the Eric Cantor of 2004, he would vote against holding relief hostage.

[A] bemused Democratic source notes that in October 2004, Cantor voted against an amendment to an emergency supplemental bill for disaster aid that would have “fully offset” the cost of that supplemental with “a proportional reduction of FY05 discretionary funding” elsewhere. Funding for defense, homeland security, and veterans was exempted from the proposed cuts. But the amendment, introduced by Rep. Jeb Hensarling (R-Texas), would do precisely what Republican leadership is proposing to do now.

The Eric Cantor of 2011, a very serious man who exists in a world where a black democrat is president, would say we must offset disaster relief funds with spending cuts elsewhere.

So it was bad then and good now? Please Explain Eric!

10. bito says:

Right-Wing Sock Puppets Pretending to Be Liberals Assault Progressive Websites

One of these is Doug Goetzloe, an anti-tax right-wing talk show host and former Young Republican who heads up Advantage Consultants. Here is the copy from one of his ads advising his conservative clients to ‘flood the zone’ on progressive sites:

“Are you ready for a blog attack?

“Get ahead of your opponent with Professional Blog Warriors.

“Be prepared to ‘flood the zone’ with comments from professionals who are ready to put your talking points on the blogosphere 24/7.

“Whether it’s defense or offense, Advantage Consultants has a dedicated team of experienced blog warriors ready to advance your candidate or campaign.

“Why wait for the attack? Launch your attack with a battery of blog and forum comments aimed at all media and blog sites in your district.

“Contact us today and let us show you the Advantage in professional blog warfare.”
    — See the Advantage Consultants ad at…

I have posted about this out fit and others so when one goes to sites that get thrive in mindless arguments for a click, keep in mind that the comments may not be from Joe and Sally, just folks like you, but paid trolls, “disrupters”.

We’re a citizens’ think tank, a public blog open to all where real people can express real opinions on politics, news, social issues and enjoy political humor.

So to the 99.5%, pat yourself on the back!
    And don’t forget this post:

A special H/T to Kalima who can “smell” a troll before they even post.

Now for a “commercial break” and praise to 99.5% of our posters and the behind the curtain work of our admin. Kalima, AdLib and KQuark set up this site with minimal rules. Trolls are not tolerated on PPOV, flat out!

• SueInCa says:

Thanks Bito, you always find the goods.

“who can “smell” a troll before they even post”. 😆 Had a blocked nose for 2 weeks bito, but I’m always on my toes, they won’t last long at The Planet because the hair at the back of my neck stands to attention. At your/our service. *doffs invisible hat*

Please put yourself on that list bito, your tireless work here is unbeatable. Take a bow please.

• choicelady says:

Apparently if this sale of HP by AOL is accurate, trolls do not generate income. HP flourished when it was a pretty open forum and progressives could hold REAL conversations with substance (as did KQ who was one of the first to go under the New Regime after 2008).

So I say anybody who is turned off by outrageous posts, nastiness, and what are clearly trolls and who leaves -- well, it looks as if nobody else is left. The demise of HP as a profitable entity is shocking because it now appears clear in a VERY short period of time that all the leaves and petals fell off (all of us) leaving only the barren thorns and vines of the trolls behind.

In sum -- you can’t make money pissing of pragmatic progressives. Pragmatic progressives outnumber the trolls AND the PL which they show by their defection from sites dominated by those two voices. Pragmatic progressives vote. Pragmatic progressives will tend to vote heavily for Obama. QED…

I understand that DailyKos is hurting and FDL is hurting. Can’t happen to more deserving places.

The uptick in pragmatic progressive sites is wonderful and exciting! Most can’t hold a candle to the Planet, but they still have good insights and information for the most part.

So this would appear to be the wave of the future and a sign of the times. All good.

• KQuark says:

Cheers for the props and not that I don’t like tooting my horn from time to time but I was just part of a big first wave with AdLib and Kalima (Q et. al. were part of that gang too) who gave up on HP after the Stalinist purges right before and after the election of 2008. But of course it as purely serendipitous because we all ended up starting up the Planet.

I’m not surprised to hear FDL and DailyKOS are hurting as well. Like I’ve said allot of times there are not many places for left leaning people who are not purists or hyperbolic to post without receiving ridicule from both sides these days. Then of course that ties into our discussion about online social networks the other day. They really are not attractive to people who want real civil discourse when it comes to political discussions.

11. ADONAI says:

HP is infuriating. It’s like the trolls have completely taken over.

How many times can you attack the same talking points?

Nothing, NOTHING in the entire history of our country has EVER been solved by lowering taxes. The biggest economic booms in our nation’s history came after we RAISED taxes.

FDR, Reagan, and Clinton.

And who cuts taxes during a war?! TWO WARS?! The previous administration provided a detailed blueprint of what NOT to do and it’s centerpiece was cutting taxes. Oh, and they raised spending to unprecedented levels.

Clinton didn’t spend that much and that motherfucker LOVED to spend. And every President gets blamed for their predecessors failures. Bush I got shafted by Reagan’s dismal second term decisions. Obama is taking heat for Bush II’s.

It’s SO goddamn obvious! It’s right in front of heir faces! HOLY SHIT IT MAKES ME ANGRY!

rant over.

• javaz says:

OMG!
      People still post on HP?

Crap, I can’t remember now when I left that POS site -- but think it was when I discovered the PPOV.

Never went back.

Once you go PPOV, you never go back -- damn, was hoping for a rhyme.

• choicelady says:

No -- people don’t post there. Trolls and flaming PLs do.

Big difference.

• ADONAI says:

Once you go Planet you never…panic? I dunno. I’m struggling too!

There are still a few people there I enjoy talking to. I try to get them to come here but they love the fight. I use to love the fight. Now i tolerate it.

Once you go POV, you never go POS again?

Once you go Planet, you never plan it.

And oh yeah, dammit, Janet.

• javaz says:

Isn’t it amazing how addictive blogging is?

Have you ever met anyone from the Interboobs?

I did once and it was enlightening, and not in a bad way exactly.

It wasn’t from a political site, but from a Yahoo game site, so maybe that makes it different?

She was a very nice person, very nice, but nothing like you’d have imagined.

OH!
          And I actually did meet, right in my neighborhood, a woman from HP!

That was by chance and when she said that she blogged on HP and proudly announced that she had over 300 friends, and she noticed our Kerry/Edwards sign in our yard, she hoped that we were Arizona people and not winter visitors.

Ended up that I knew her from HP and had her as a friend, and even though I recognized her name, she didn’t recognize mine.
          LOL

I never did do good on HP, as I was honest in my opinions back then.

I’ve learned to temper voicing my opinions.

• bito says:

Post this link over there if you feel a need to even go there, it’s been a waste of time for me since ’09.

• ADONAI says:

I will try bito.

I posted a link to a huge list of President Obama’s accomplishments today. even advised them to grab a snack before they started reading it cause it would take awhile.

I’ve seen people converted though. You just gotta find the one’s willing to at least meet you halfway. Then see how far you can get from there together. That’s compromise. That’s politics.

• AlphaBitch says:

Adonai: I have a new motto: You can’t negotiate with crazy. I used to spend hours trying to make a reasoned argument, proving points, etc. -- you know, that “fact-ey” thing that Stephen Colbert doesn’t really like too much. Then i realized: you can’t negotiate with crazy. And I decided most of them are just that. Time’s a wastin’. Prefer using it more wisely now, talking to my own Planet, working with the children. Leave the crazies be. -AB

• KQuark says:

AB you are so so right. You can’t. The GOP was crazy enough to actually default the US’s good credit. How do you possibly deal with that?

There’s an old saying “crazy rules the roost”. I know the craziest person in my family ruled it. I can’t speak for someone else.

But I also have to say the only way you can treat crazy people is to rise above them. That’s why the “adult in the room” does resonate with people when it comes to the president. No doubt the crazies bring everyone down by they bring themselves down the most.

Right with you on that, AB!

Energy is far better spent on recruiting open minded people then wasting it on paid trolls or mind-locked Repubs.

Oh, and The Planet says “You rock!”

• AlphaBitch says:

Only so many hours in the day…and mine are running short. I have a “newbie” here -- the sixth of my seven kids just got back in the US for school. She will be in Virginia. Need to go talk to her for a while, so adios dear ones. Hope to see you again soon. -- AB

• KQuark says:

You should see the trolls over there now. They think a debate for an election months away is more important than the president trying do do something to create jobs. That’s all we need another circle yerk to Ronald Raygun who would have never been accepted by the GOP of today like you say.

• bito says:

The list of R’s that would no longer be ‘accepted’ in the Republican of today is endless from Lincoln, Dirkson, Reagan, Chaffee…. There seems to be a blind spot, a state of denial, that this country has operated from the very beginnings on compromise. Jefferson’s Deceleration of Independence got passed around and compromises were made before it was signed.

Is it ignorance?

I have done a little work on Union labor contract negotiations, not once did we ever get 100%!

• ADONAI says:

Speaking of Reagan, that was a topic today over there. But it doesn’t matter.

They don’t debate, argue, whatever you wanna call it. Challenging ideas is the hallmark of an enlightened species. But they won’t.

They breeze over whatever you just said and go right back into talking points. And I wouldn’t even mind that if they had a reasonable argument to back them up. Hell, ANY argument to back it up. Lie, give me some figures you got on the Drudge Report, something! Democrats use talking points too, everyone does, but it’s just a launching point to a larger debate. Not their whole damn argument!

What’s it called, “bumper sticker politics”? Cause that’s all it ever sounds like. Things I could read on a pickup truck back home.

• KQuark says:

Spot on and well said AD.

That’s the whole thing I’ve been saying about false equivalencies. That’s right everyone does it but one side does it because that’s all they got.

12. KQuark says:

” alt=”IMAGE NAME” />

HP Sell Out to AOL = $315MM
    AOL + Aryanna = -$288MM
    Vindication for PlanetPOV Members = PRICELESS!!!

13. bito says:

WOW

NO DEAL: House Speaker John Boehner says he wants President Obama to talk to Congress not Wednesday evening next week, but on Thursday.

The White House had said Obama planned to speak to a joint session of Congress on Wednesday, at the same time that a GOP presidential debate (sponsored by POLITICO and NBC) was scheduled. Boehner wrote Obama a letter this afternoon, giving this explanation:…..

One thing that is bogus in Boehner’s letter is the house is still in pro forma session and a concurrent resolution would take about 15 seconds.

Has this ever happened in history?!

Uppity Boy in our White House!

• KQuark says:

It’s so easy to predict and play contrarians.

• ADONAI says:

Congressional leaders have persuaded Presidents to reconsider things in the past but I can’t remember it being for anything like this.

Can’t really blame him though. I think Obama announcing the schedule of the address was a bit of gamesmanship on his part. I think this is Boehner playing his card.

Boehner’s gotta take it though. President can address Congress anytime he wants. And getting mad at the President’s “political theater” is totally hypocritical.

Shoes on the other foot now, ain’t it John? Don’t feel so good does it?

**EDIT**

Well, turns out he needs a signed resolution to address a joint session of Congress. I thought he could address them whenever he chose to. So, will House leaders sign the request?

14. ADONAI says:

Maya Angelou says memorial makes MLK look ‘arrogant’

Poet and author Maya Angelou says a recently unveiled monument to civil rights leader Martin Luther King Jr. is inscribed with a quote taken out of context that makes the preacher seem “arrogant.”

I was a drum major for justice, peace and righteousness, the inscription on the 30-foot-tall statue of King reads.

“The quote makes Dr. Martin Luther King look like an arrogant twit,” Angelou told The Washington Post’s Gene Weingarten, and added that she thinks it should be changed. “He was anything but that. He was far too profound a man for that four-letter word to apply.”

The quote was taken from a sermon King gave shortly before his death, where he imagined what his own eulogy would sound like.

“If you want to say that I was a drum major, say that I was a drum major for justice,” King said. “Say that I was a drum major for peace. I was a drum major for righteousness. And all of the other shallow things will not matter.”

• I have to disagree with Ms. Angelou. When those words were spoken, it was not arrogance. King knew he would probably be assassinated and wanted his true legacy to be remembered. He was a “drum major for justice, peace and righteousness.” Today, that may sound arrogant, but people have to remember or learn that America was a very different country back then and desperately needed a man like Martin Luther King. He risked death almost every day of the last two years of his life in an attempt to bring justice, peace and righteousness.

• ADONAI says:

KT, I think her argument is that this isn’t what he said. And she’s right. He said “IF OTHERS want to call me..etc., etc.” and basically said he didn’t do this for the praise but because it must be done.

I think she believes he wasn’t a self promoter and I have to agree with that. But I also agree with you. He was these things. Even if he didn’t want the notoriety, those are the things he wanted his legacy to be about.

If you’re gonna praise me, praise me for the right things. Seems like semantics but I’d expect no less from a poet laureate. :)