AdLib On December - 11 - 2009

Classic_Rock_Collage_by_apc2k7Welcome to our Friday Night Music thread! This week’s theme is the music you grew up with, the songs you heard as a kid that always stayed with you,  the music you first chose as “your” music, the songs you’d listen to as a teen when you were feeling sad or pissed off and the songs that take you back to moments in your youth like your Prom song or the song that you and your first romance  shared as “our” song.

In essence, the songs that have been the soundtrack of your life.

To kick things off and to date myself, I actually remember back to being around 4 years old and the small transistor radio playing in our house, several songs from these artists that no one back then could escape or ignore:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52e7bClngW4[/youtube]

In junior high school, my school let us play music over the school’s loudspeakers during lunch(which come to think of it now, was pretty cool for their doing so) .  I was one of the DJs and remember playing some of the selection of maybe 10 – 12  singles we had available to play.  I remember playing this one many a time:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2Ta0qCG8No[/youtube]

In high school, there was a classmate of mine in science class, we were friendly but not close friends, who was sketching something deeply into the top of his notebook with his pen and asked me if I was going and if I wanted to go with him. I asked him, “Going to what?” and I looked at his notebook to see this design of a prism reflecting shafts of colored light from it and two incongruous words…”Pink” and “Floyd”.  It was a tour to promote their new album, “Animals”.

I went with him and that day, was introduced to Pink Floyd and many other enlightening (and lit) things, it remains one of my fondest and most resonant memories of the ’70’s. Though there are videos and music from back then, this video from the PULSE concert in the 90’s is better in quality visually and audibly. This is dedicated to KQuark, feel better my friend!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OtuTYye-6Y[/youtube]

Your turn!

Categories: Featured, Music, Music Thread

1. bitohistory says:

Hope, I can’t find what I said or your reply (happens when there are many comments). Whatever I said, I stand behind it 180%! 😉

ADMIN ANNOUNCMENT:

Vox Populi is about to begin! Click this link to go there now:

3. TheRarestPatriot says:

I have to say that this was my very 1st Friday Night Music fest here and listen, I thought it was awesome! I want the 1st DJ chair ! (I actually WAS a DJ in the 80s for a rock station in Florida!) Loved this! I will return again and again.

4. javaz says:

Kalima,

Could you email me please?

I really need to talk to someone outside of my circle of family and friends.

I don’t mean to put more weight on your shoulders, but well, and how sad is it that, that I feel closer to people online than off?

Sheesh,
    I really need to get a life.

Isn’t this a beautiful song and it says it all.

Javaz I understand, you can reach me at [email protected], if you can’t, let me know and I will check for your email address, ok?

• TheRarestPatriot says:

Hey javez,

Don’t mean to be sticking my nose where it doesn’t belong, but after what has happened in my life this year, I really know about the online friend comment you made. I’m not doing too well right now and am facing the most difficult struggles in a human’s life…If I can help at all or lend an ear, please never hesitate to email me.

[email protected]

• javaz says:

You can stick your nose wherever here!
        Life does certainly suck at times.

I consider this site, rightly or wrongly, that we are a family of sorts, and that would include you.
        And any other member.

I probably share too much here than I should, but what the hell.

Oh, speaking of hell --

One of my favorite groups of all time!

• TheRarestPatriot says:

Javez,

Yeah, well…I thought I had friends across the Planet….over at that other venue, too. I, too, consider online friends no different than offline friends…other than I can rant in my tightie-whities and not cause pandemonium. (occasionally)
          You are my friend. I consider any person a friend until I give them the opportunity to screw me over in some fashion. (happens more than I care to admit)
          I care a bit too much sometimes and, yes, share more than I should, but..hell…isn’t that what’s missing from all of this online chatting and visiting…real emotions? I mean, I sometimes think all of us are slowly fading away from real emotions anymore online.
          Now that we’re friends, ….can I borrow your car? ~smile~
          Please bend my ear anytime…although,…I will do the same….LOL~

• javaz says:

I’ll share.
            In fact this will be a repeat since I wrote an article, and talked on the morning blog.

I lost a brother two days ago, and we had not spoken in 6 years for reasons that allude now.
            Or is it elude?

Whatever.

He died the death that I hope to, meaning he died in his bed at home and in his sleep.

I’ve loved and lost before, including the biggest and hardest death -- that of my daughter.
            I’ll correct that, and say stepdaughter.
            But she was mine.

I’ve lost my parents and every death breaks my heart and changes me forever.

Life is a gift and those we love are gifts.

Treasure every moment.

• boomer1949 says:

javaz…

I’m with TRP. If you need an online ear, my email is
              [email protected]

I was in the same situation with one of my brothers about 18 months ago. No one came to tell me and I found out quite by accident. To this day, I do not know the who, what, when, or where. Completely dysfunctional family — regardless how it’s sliced.

Anyway, if you need a cyber-ear or cyber-shoulder, please don’t hesitate.

boomer1949

You are one cool dude, TRP!

• bitohistory says:

TRP, That was nice. And you know mine, girl. ANYTIME!!!!

• Chernynkaya says:

Same here-- to Javez and YOU.

5. TheRarestPatriot says:

Here is my newest and most descriptive song of my life….

• Hopeington says:

Hurry back to me my wild calling
      It’s been the worst day since yesterday

I was already laughing from javaz’s husbands post, but I’ve listened to this 2xs now and I feel like you wrote this song for me and I’m really laughing my ass off now.
      I figure you wrote it, so I’m tryin to be compassionate for the pain that you must have had to write this, but I’m on the third listen round and I’m still laughing.
      Love ya, and pleased to meet ya.
      Hope

• TheRarestPatriot says:

Always pleased to meet new friends….Love this song…No, didn’t write it, but feel it is an anthem to my life right now. Very bad things afoot for me I’m afraid….

“..hell says ‘hello’…
        it’s time for me to go…
        It’s been the worst day since yesterday….”

• Hopeington says:

I hear ya, things for me are about the lowest ever. I’m sleepin on my 36 yr old son’s couch , my daughter has been in a tent, other son in hospital other son staying with friends, son I’m with owns his business.
          Classic story, had a bad accident, lost my job, lost my insurance, got state medical coverage, daughter got run over by a car, she got a settlement, state said I had too much money then and cut me off. Still need medical treatment before I can get a job. Going on year 3.
          I tell you this, not because misery loves company, but rather, there is strength in numbers!!
          I try to stay positive.
          And I’m so glad no one is going to scrub my comments here!! Thank you.

• TheRarestPatriot says:

Ahhhh, …well then you too know the misery equation. Wife has left me after 13 years to ‘find’ herself. She was the breadwinner because she wanted me to be home with the girls so they knew their dad better than my wife and I did. (irony) I had a small home business…had to close it due to the economy. Lost 86% of my 401k savings when the market tanked. Wife has moved out, this house is for sale and when it sells I will be homeless. (we MIGHT break even) I have a couple grand to start a new life over at 41. Can’t find work to save my life. Literally. I am the last living member of my family and have moved so often I have no lifelong friends for support. So, I too, understand the perfect storm. Any single people out there ANYWHERE that will let me couchsurf? LOL~ Or at least park in their driveway so I can sleep in my truck and not be robbed?

• bitohistory says:

jezzapezza Hope, that is a sad story. Problem is I can relate to it quite well. Too well. Medical problems can ruin one’s life. Though many services are stretched $$ right now, I do hope that you have reached out to them. We have an organization in Tucson, (ICS- Interfaith Community Services) if they can’t help directly, they will give you contacts for jobs, shelter, food….. I do hope you reach out! Don’t be too proud. When you are healed and on your feet, they will appreciate your volunteer help.
            Chin-Up, Kid!!
            bito

• Hopeington says:

Good day rarest.. just popped in to see what’s what….the song is my new anthem.
          yeah, that’s the state my life is in…it can only go up from here.

• TheRarestPatriot says:

Sorry about the delay in responding, Hope….Having a …rough time today. Miss my girls and just got a letter that I will be losing my health insurance as of 01-01-10.
            They really know how to kick people when they’re done don’t they? LOL

6. Chernynkaya says:

TECH HELP?

Anyone know why, when I click on a recent comment, I can’t get to the comment? Nuthin’happens. :~((

7. javaz says:

Okay, here’s one my husband wants me to post, and let me say that this is no reflection of my taste in music or personal belief --

OMG

Disclaimer -- this does not reflect my opinion

8. TheRarestPatriot says:

Nevermind! I am in total control now….LMAO
    Here’s one I can never seem to hear enough…

9. TheRarestPatriot says:

Hmmmm….How do we get the video here?….LMAO!

10. javaz says:

This is my contribution to HITO, since I can’t find who the hell she misses, and I chose this song, because HITO rhymes with it, instead of QUEEN of the damned.

(that makes no sense, but that’s me -- I rarely makes sense and I like it that way)

11. Chernynkaya says:

I’m not playing by the rules with this, but you all just should check out this winner of Ukraine’s Got Talent-- It is amazing, beautiful.

12. KQuark says:

Thanks for all the great tunes folks. They’re really lifting my spirits stuck in hospital. This are of my favorite oldies. Eric Burdon could really sing with soul.

• PatsyT says:

KQuark I am sending speedy recovery thoughts your way….

• Hopeington says:

What an animal!! The Beatles were ok when I saw them on Ed Sullivan, but Eric Burdon… I would scream for him.
      House of the Rising Sun is one ballad I’ve never tired of.
      One of the most over looked dynamic performers of that era.
      I remember sitting there holding my breath cuz I was afraid my mom or dad would get up and shut off the TV.
      Being allowed to view some things was a real family debate, we had to talk them into letting us watch the Beatles, Eric Burdon and Rolling Stones.
      We worked it.

• SueInCa says:

I loved Alan Price on the organ.

Hello there stranger, you have mail.

Get well soon my friend.

Okay, now here are some of the rock songs that I remember establishing KLOS and KMET as FM rock stations in LA when I was in high school, a couple from The Who, Led Zeppelin and The Rolling Stones:

The Who -- Behind Blue Eyes

The Who -- 5:15

Led Zeppelin -- The Rain Song

Led Zeppelin -- Heartbreaker

Rolling Stones -- Gimmie Shelter

Rolling Stones -- Sympathy for the Devil

• Chernynkaya says:

AdLib-- those are the stations I came of age to--learned about rock and tried to be cool.Went to Hamilton High BTW. Excellent choices.

• Hopeington says:

Now you’re talkin AdLib…these songs will stay with me forever. Takes me back to some really amazing times.
      I was on the streets at 15 and these are the songs that made us who we were.
      Vietnam vets, Hippies, Hell’s Angels, Civil Rights groups all together at love ins in Balboa Park in San Diego and this music floating through the air.
      My sister had every Rolling Stone record she could get her hands on, my poor mother didn’t know what to think, must have been shocking back then.
      When she started in on us, I’d just put on The Times They Are a Changin by Bob Dylan and tell her to listen up, that would really piss her off.
      That was my job in those days…pissing off my parents
      very bad of me

• bitohistory says:

Hope, you should have played them Joe and the fish.
        “and it’s 1-2-3-4what we fighting for? … Don’t know, don’t give a damn….. Be the first one to have son come home in a box……
        Whoopie!! Were all gonna die! My mother hated that line: son home in a box!

14. javaz says:

I loved Paul Revere and the Raiders!
    They came on right before the Monkees!!!
    (sheesh, I was in the 6th grade and before watching them, we watched Dark Shadows)