MurphTheSurf3 On March - 10 - 2012

The Rush Limbaugh Boycott…..success far beyond our hopes.

As of Friday March 9, at least 61 sponsors had pulled their support from Rush Limbaugh’s daily rant and rave.

On Thursday, Limbaugh’s program was practically devoid of paid advertisements. 86 spots aired. 77 were PSA’s, public service announcements donated by the Ad Council. They do not generate revenue. Seven of the remaining 9 ads were from companies that have notified Clear Channel that they are pulling their spots. THERE WAS DEAD AIR FOUR TIMES!

The overwhelming exodus of advertisers from Rush Limbaugh’s show has big-name companies rethinking their relationship with all of talk radio.

THE CONTAGION HAS SPREAD BEYOND RUSH….WELL BEYOND.

Ninety-eight major advertisers have notified their marketing agencies they no longer wish to advertise on programming that is so likely to offend. The agencies have notified Premiere Networks that controls most of right wing talk radio of their clients’ wishes. They will no longer air spots on Premiere Networks’ ‘offensive’ programs.

Premiere Networks is taking this very seriously. In an e-mail., provided by Radio-Info.com., sent by the media giant on Friday, a list of 98 large corporations was provided specifying that each has requested that their ads appear “only on programs free of content that you know are deemed to be offensive or controversial.”

Premiere provided a list of show examples: Mark Levin, Rush Limbaugh, Tom Leykis, Michael Savage, Glenn Beck, Sean Hannity. The memo went on to say that the list was not exhaustive and that additional programming will be examined. The memo states that companies like AOL, Geico, Ford, GM, McDonald’s, have indicated they want to avoid “environments likely to stir negative sentiments.”

Insiders say the loss will rock right-wing talk radio.

NO WONDER FOX IS LEAPING TO RUSH’S DEFENSE….TALK RADIO IS PART OF THEIR NETWORK OF MISINFORMATION, DISTORTION AND OUTRIGHT LIES. AND NOW THEIR FLANK IS UNDER ASSAULT. THAT SYMBIOTIC RELATIONSHIP IS CRUCIAL IN SUPPORTING FOX’S PROPAGANDA CULTURE.

Written by MurphTheSurf3

Proud to be an Independent Progressive. I am a progressive- a one time Eisenhower Republican who is now a Democrat. I live in a very RED STATE and am a community activist with a very BLUE AGENDA. Historian, and "Gentleman Farmer."

So, now you know the Rush Twitter handle, go forth on your digital CBs!

Rush Limbaugh Launches New Twitter Offensive

2. escribacat says:

Fascinating article that explains the economics of rightwing talk radio…and why Huckabee might strike the final blow to Limbaugh! (never thought I’d have warm feelings about Huckabee)

Very interesting article, Escibacat! Though I find Huckabee troubling in other ways, if he usurped Rush’s status, I don’t think he would be seen as the voice of the GOP or scare Repubs into bowing before him.

On the other hand, his brand of smiling oppression can be dangerous too so it wouldn’t necessarily be a huge improvement.

3. escribacat says:

Lawrence O’Donnell just announced that ALL national advertising has been suspended from the Limbaugh show. HOOORRAAAAYYYY!!!!

4. SallyT says:

The War on Women that the Right has engaged in may have taken their first victim from the women defense. Murph pointed out that most of Rush’s listeners are men. Rush must have thought he was still in the club’s locker room talking to the boys when he said this on air. But, as Murph also pointed out, women are the shoppers. So, we (and I include the men that are with us) have used our weapon in defense, our shopping list! One young lady tried to give our point of view on the issues and she was attacked with dirty names and accusations. These Governors are trying to pass laws that are attacks on women and their health. We don’t have enough women in elected office to fight with votes in those state houses. Let alone Congress! Well, right now we can show our power and our disgust with these attacks and the hate with our shopping lists. We may have to wait until November to use our votes but I think there is going to be a big surprise when we do. At least, I hope so!!!!

Morocco, United Arab Emirates, Tajikistan, Bangladesh, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Mauritania, Pakistan, Iraq, Tunisia.

Muslim majority countries. All have a greater percentage of women representation than the United States.

Sally, I was just curious, so I went to Rush’s own website to see what was the spin there. Naturally I wasn’t going to pay for a membership to see his jowls flapping in real time, but I did notice, lo and behold, that there was a link there entitled: “Advertise on the Rush Limbaugh Show.”

So, being me, I clicked on it. And there was a nice email form labelled:

[email protected]

So in the title box I entered: “Women’s rights groups free to buy airtime?”

And in the message box, I wrote simply: “Well, are they?”

And hit the send button.

Feel free to play along! 👿

5. SallyT says:

Has Rush Limbaugh Killed All Right-Wing Radio?
    Oh, one can only hope!

• escribacat says:

Interesting note in that article-- it refers to Maher as a “lefty boycott victim.” That explains his defense of Limbaugh. I don’t want these creeps banned from the airwaves (as the CNN poll asked yesterday); I want them going out of business because they lost their sponsors and audience.

• SallyT says:

Bill Maher has felt the results of advertisers pulling their ads when he had Political InCorrect and his comment on 9/11. I watch Real Time with Bill Maher every Friday that it is on. I still will. There are times that I strongly disagree with Bill and on this I left him a message on his website. He addressed it and others last Friday on his show. I accept his explanation as he states from his point of view. Others may take a different stance and he may lose more along with Rush. That is the power.

• I think Maher is definitely trying to “cover his own ass,” but he is wrong about the first amendment. The first amendment applies to the government shutdown of speech. This is not the case with fat bastard. We the people are simply asking that companies and corporations stop advertising on his show. That is not quite the same as the government intervening to shut him down.

6. foodchain says:

Text from CEO Tyler Gallagher is a great response to Limbaugh; the last paragraph is directed to Rush’s supporters and should be a standard for everyone gong forward:

“As CEO of Regal Assets, LLC, I want to personally respond to the Rush Limbaugh scandal and the decision our company made last week to pull our advertising from Limbaugh’s show. We want to make it very clear that this was by no means a political decision; this was simply a moral choice.

The attacks on Sandra Fluke were unwarranted and, we believe, intentionally inflammatory. Realizing the Limbaugh show no longer fell in line with our core values as a company, we had to take action in light of this scandal and respond appropriately, and that led us to our decision to remove our advertising from the show.

We do not see Rush Limbaugh as a bad or evil person but as someone who misjudged his own destructive power. As we step into 2012, this is no way to treat each other. We are more evolved than that, and I hope at the end of the day we can all learn from this situation.

I personally do not believe any company should support the type of slanderous, defaming attacks that came from Limbaugh, whether or not they agree with the other side of the issue. There is a far more civilized way to communicate, and we wish Limbaugh had taken the high road with the Sandra Fluke topic.

We urge people to see the bigger picture of the scandal, as it is not about supporting one side’s argument but supporting each other as a whole and not condoning that type of abuse toward anyone. If we lose business because of our decision to do what is morally right, then so be it. Moral substance and dignity are more precious than the almighty dollar.

We at Regal Assets want to personally thank everyone who has sent positive feedback for our choice in this matter. It warms our souls to know people like this exist. For the backlash we have received over the past week from some, we urge those individuals to look past the politics and focus on the way Sandra Fluke was condemned and attacked. Put yourself in her shoes, and if you’re a parent with a daughter, imagine it was your daughter who was addressed in that inappropriate manner. I am sure if you honestly evaluate the incident, like we have at Regal Assets, your stance on the scandal will change.”

7. Don’t get me wrong this is one of those cases I hope I’m wrong and Limbaugh’s show will not survive on the air. The positive take from all this is we definitely see Limbaugh’s influence be diminished greatly no matter what happens now. Worse the GOP politicians will be on the wrong side of history again for not being courageous and calling out Limbaugh when they had the chance to rise above their talking points.

It seems like it’s up to 141 companies that have dropped Limbaugh and some other right wing talk show hosts.

A random comment I read describing Rush’s voice:

‘talking through a layer of blubber while ten meters under water’

9. mairs says:

I’ve been trying to find something I read a few years ago, about Limbaugh communicating with the Bush White House all the time. If his listener numbers are really that far off, then with what help has he conspired to pretend that he is so mega-popular? Who is backing him and keeping him (WAS keeping him, hopefully) in position? We all know that when he creates a talking point it is disseminated quickly. He pounds home a lie for a few days and suddenly everyone on the Right is repeating it. I don’t think he’s doing this alone.

• That’s an excellent point mairs! The GOP will never try to silence Rush because, as you say, he keeps the lies and conspiracy theories alive. They may act like they don’t approve of his remarks, but they benefit from such hatred and lies. They’re afraid of Rush and tip toe so gently around him, so as not to become a target themselves. Hence the very weak responses by Mitt and Santorum. I think Clear Channel it’s self is pro RW.

10. foodchain says:

Murph, I love this: how enormously cool if Rush Limbaugh brings down right wing talk radio!! There is justice. Here is another link to the same content—it’s just so much fun to read….

• MurphTheSurf3 says:

Thanks for the link. Did not see it before. I hope that the boulder rolling down the hill is in a trajectory pointing straight at Limbo and the others of his ilk.

11. It’s great some of the big advertisers are leaving radio but I don’t think it will be the end of right wing talk as long as the hateful audience is still listening.

I actually agree with Tweety on this one when he says the Limbaugh types have the ultimate shtick because they make middle aged white guys feel like they are the victims in society.

• MurphTheSurf3 says:

KQ, Inside Radio is reporting that Rush’s numbers are wildly inflated and that new market studies show that his audience profile is not a “buying crowd”. Largely male, while and 55 plus. Bottom line is that his listeners might not be good for their bottom line and others….think WOMEN are buyers and are not happy with him.

• SallyT says:

KQ, you make good points here. That is a large listening base unfortunately “hate” radio attracts. And, that large listening base is to large of a marketing base for advertisers to ignore. Rush may get kicked back but the hate listeners will keep looking for someone that talks to them. Hopefully that middle aged white guy listeners will keep dropping off by natural causes and that type of radio will not be popular anymore. But, for now, I see it as an on going battle along with the other fights against racism. Good work so far!

• MurphTheSurf3 says:

Sally, see my reply in this thread. The audience is apparently not what Rush wants us to believe it is.

• SallyT says:

Oh, Murph, I am not going by any numbers that Rush gives. Just as I don’t believe the numbers on FOX. But, regardless they do have large numbers of listeners. Now, however, I believe you when you say that most of those listeners for Rush are male and not the best to buy from the ads. That should help advertisers see no need to ever return to his show.

• MurphTheSurf3 says:

Arbitron has changed over from paper diaries to wireless recorders that literally pick what is playing and for how long. The numbers are 1/3 to 1/2 of what he says. The demo studies have revealed that his is not a very attractive audience. Being suspicious by nature I wonder if a number of the advertisers are taking this “principled” stand because they wanted out and also get to score points with a significant purchasing group at the same time.

But without advertisers, it doesn’t matter how big your audience is, you can’t afford to keep paying big salaries to big blowhards.

Corporate prudence may benefit the public in this one instance, by opting out of advertising on hate radio, they avoid having to invest resources in damage control, addressing boycotts, etc. and meanwhile, the money goes out of hate radio.

A win-win for all but the Rush types out there.

• MurphTheSurf3 says:

Ad Lib, left KQ a reply. Inside Radio is reporting that his audience is not what he purports. See above.

• AdLib that is certainly the dynamic going on now. But I never underestimate the short attention span of the American people including these advertisers.

I mean if Limbaugh loses 80% of his advertisers he only makes over $10 million a year instead of over $50 mil. The horror. If his ratings go down that will have a lasting effect because that’s the only way right wing Clear Channel will ever consider dropping him.

• SallyT says:

KQ, the following is the ending as Wikipedia gives on the movie ‘A Face in the Crowd’ and Lonesome Rhodes.

“But Miller observes and bemoans the fact that Rhodes is not really destroyed at all. Miller tells him that both the public’s, and the network’s need for Rhodes will, “after a decent interval” of remorse and public contrition, return him to the public eye; first locally (maybe only radio at first) and then, at some reduced level, nationally. The film ends with Rhodes yelling from the window of his penthouse for Marcia Jeffries as she leaves in a taxi with Miller; the final image is of a flashing neon Coca Cola sign and the busy streets below it, full of taxis.”

• Yeah, great ending. I’ve seen the film twice. In the end, Rhodes will still have an audience, but he will never again rise to the heights has once did and his “king maker,” status will never be regained. I hope the same thing happens to fat bastard.

12. lalalu says:

The right will doom themselves. Let them keep talking. I watched Game Change yesterday and it was soooo funny. Republicans inflicted Palin on themselves. They have no one to blame but themselves. Even McCain tried to avoid her. A little sad that an insight into a republican campaign is such a comedy show.

• MurphTheSurf3 says:

McCain on Fox Sunday could only say he regretted Schmidt having said what he did about Palin who McCain said was a wonderful, competent and ethical personal…they will not admit error which means they will not learn….sadly too few of the voting public pay attention. A vote for the GOP is a vote against one’s own interests for most of our citizenry- why is the race even close?

13. Nirek says:

I actually like talk radio but NOT the extremists. Here in Vermont we have a guy (Mark Johnson ) on WDEV who gets people of all persuasions on and asks good questions and gets a lot of good people involved in the conversation. He never says he is D or R just fair to all.

• MurphTheSurf3 says:

I used to love WLS talk radio in Chicago. They had a variety of hosts spread across the day….none were too far to the left or right but were skilled in carrying on many conversations at once. They are all long gone.

• choicelady says:

Yes, Murph -- those were the folks I listened to years ago. And there was hard hitting discussions then, none of which sank to the level of gut-puking vilification of other people.

On the other hand -- remember Fr. Caughlin, the conservatives who hosted McCarthy? That was probably the same, we’re just too young to remember it first hand. And there was balance. For every sniveling Fr. Caughlin, there was an Edward R. Murrow -- or three or four. THAT is what kept HIM from going totally over the top. Hardly anyone balances out Rush et al. today.

• choicelady says:

Wow -- how radical! That used to be what we heard. I grew up on diverse talk, Irv Kupcinet, Dave Garroway, etc. who had people of all views on their programs. Bill Moyers more recently does some of the same, so does Charlie Rose. Ask questions, challenge answers -- calmly and with respect -- and you elicit deeper and more clear views. THAT helps people understand what the implications of any view might be.

Trust Vermont to do it well. Thanks!

14. escribacat says:

I’d be willing to give up Keith if it would also get rid of Rush, Beck, Hannity, and the other creepsters on the right. They can have Maher too.

• MurphTheSurf3 says:

Sorry, I will not give up Keith. Even thinking of equating him with THEM is not possible for me. Now Maher….easy to toss him into the mix….Cenk can go too.

• escribacat says:

I haven’t watched in the past week but I read somewhere that Keith apologized and (once again?) dropped his “worst person in the world” segment. I can’t remember where I read it.

• mairs says:

I see no reason to give up Keith. 🙂

Agreed, in fact, KO has dropped his Worst Persons segment in response to the push back against Rush’s viciousness.

I’m not for censorship but I am for the public using its power to pressure people who use the power of the media irresponsibly and destructively to stop doing so.

BTW, welcome to The Planet!

15. SallyT says:

Murph, you have been great keeping us up on this! I hope we can do away with Hate radio. I see people like Rush just stirring up hate not showing differences in policies or points of view. Just showing what, when, and where to hate. Bye, bye Rush and don’t let the door hit you on the way out. (But, he does have a big target for that door to aim for….) 🙂

• Hey Sally, I agree completely, and it is not only the hate, but the sheer dishonesty too. If and when they do talk policy, it is almost always predicated on a lie.
      Not only were Rush’s comments about Fluke disgusting and hateful, he outright lied about who is going to pay for the contraception. It’s not the taxpayers as fat bastard tried to have people believe. His whine about paying for Fluke “to have sex,” is just not true.

• SallyT says:

KT, let alone that Rush apparently doesn’t understand how the birth control pill works. Is he really that dumb or does he know his audience is that dumb? He knows his audience and he knows they will believe lies before truth if it fit their feelings and opinions better. I think that is why the Right Wing is against public education. They like their audience dumb. Kt, we are just too smart for them, we educated elite that have graduated from High School. 🙂

• MurphTheSurf3 says:

Thanks. I am having a hard time with the boulder rolling down hill- faster and faster, bigger and bigger. Still it is very important to do so because it encourages all of us to keep at it. I am trying to make two or three advertiser/sponsor contacts a day. My primary target now is Clear Channel itself. My aim is to get them to set up a standards and practices board based on the ethics statements of the Society of American Journalists. So far I have not been able to talk to anyone real, but I will continue being a gadfly.

• choicelady says:

Rush continues to be utterly irrational. His assault on Sandra Fluke is manifestation of the deepest loathing of women and sets a drumbeat against intelligence, forthrightness, and self-determination for our sex. Cloaking this as a defense of religious freedom, he excoriates President Obama for the policy on contraception -- the President’s “war on religion.” Someone wedded to “traditional values” could be comforted by this even as most of us disagree.

However, Rush continues this outrageous behavior to the most dark netherworld by insisting that the President’s order sending 100 Green Berets into northern Uganada and Sudan to help local people FINALLY resist the despicable and brutal Lord’s Resistance Army is another “war on Christianity.” WHAT???? Joseph Kony’s enslaved children of war have unleashed the hounds of hell on innocents: men, women, and especially children, and this is all Rush has to say -- it’s Christianity? That Rush would defend LRA and Kony shows him so deep in the mire that he can never extricate himself.

I do not believe in the Devil. With Rush in the world, that role is already taken by a very flesh and blood human being.

• And very heavy on “the flesh,” part. How can anybody defend a murdering fanatic such as Kony? What sort of Christianity advocates what Kony has done and is still doing. Anybody who swallows that BS is certifiable.
        I recently watched Bill Maher’s “Religulous,” and I have to say that he made some very real points about religion and the evil that is done in it’s name.

• escribacat says:

I can’t believe even that slug would defend Kony. Wow.

• choicelady says:

I know -- as much as I am disgusted by what he did to Sandra Fluke, this, IMHO, is worse. It is like defending Pol Pot! How low have you sunk when you call a mass murderer “christian” simply because he wraps himself in the mantle of insane delusion? Sandra and US women can fight back. Who but Obama is defending those children of the night, violently impressed into Kony’s army to kill their own families? Who defends the women of the Sudan, Congo, Uganda other than Obama? And who in their RIGHT MIND would call Kony a “Christian” as if there were ANY reasonable idea that was remotely true? I don’t even have words for how utterly disgusting this is.

What scares me is that I have the sense that “The Family” funds Kony therefore Rush defends Kony. Not a shred of proof, no, but…it’s totally in keeping with the way “The Family” does business. The faux left says we’re in Uganda because there is oil -- well, define “we”. You don’t send a scant 100 troops if you’re goal is taking over Uganda’s oil fields! You do send them to help those incredibly embattled people (actually now all in the Sudan since Kony left Uganda) help defend themselves.

But if you are doing this by stealth, then yes, perhaps the “we” is technical Americans who actually are Dominionists who have their own “nation” of themselves and other true believers. They’re possibly abetting Kony since they are behind the ‘death to gays’ laws in the rest of Uganda? Taking the world’s wealth while waiting for the End Times has been their way of life. It needs to be discovered if Kony is another tyrant for Jesus whom they support. Rush’s ringing endorsement makes me very suspicious.

• SueInCa says:

CL I think you may be right about KONY. I also think this whole thing is rather suspect. We have seen and heard about the women of the Congo and this dude is going after KONY? If the women are being systematically rape and murdered those kids are that much more vulnerable to KONY yet this guy has nothing whatsoever to say about that. I sent him an email last week and have not heard back yet………

• SallyT says:

CL, I have read much on this Kony 2012 video that has gotten so much attention on the internet. There are several questionable things about it. I have read in several articles that there is a “Family” connection with it. If that is true and your feelings are true, well, that would have “The Family” on both sides of the issue. I have so many questions on this and still looking for answers.

• SallyT says:

CL, there is millions going in donations to this fund. Where is that money going and for what? I am still reading. Yes, I saw that video. It is all very concerning and needs investigated to be sure if we are helping and if the help is going to the right people. I am trying to get more information as I am sure you are, too.

• choicelady says:

Trying to find links for these people is very difficult -- but not impossible. We’re working on it.

Did you ever see the video filmed secretly of the training Coe did for the new Family members? He extols the virtues of the Red Guard who (he claims) cut off their parents’ heads to show loyalty to the Guard. He makes other such claims about other tryrannical butchers -- and praises it all, including Hitler, for training followers TO BE LOYAL. That’s IT. That’s what matters. When they say their motto is “Jesus plus nothing” they mean “The Family is the ONLY loyalty and don’t you forget it.”

If they are supporting Kony to get access to Ugandan oil, they lost out -- he’s back in the Sudan. But it is about POWER over others. It sure ain’t to bring the love of Jesus to anyone, that is for damn sure.

• MurphTheSurf3 says:

Rush left rational and even handed discourse behind long, long ago. His take on Kony is one of the strongest indicators that this is so.

• choicelady says:

Murph -- it’s rational if and only if he’s supporting Kony on behalf of “The Family” and its interests in Africa. If they are supporting him financially -- and clearly someone is -- then Rush can be explained as The Family mouthpiece for their pet tryrant of the week. That’s pretty hideous to contemplate.

• MurphTheSurf3 says:

The Family is vile but I know of no links to Koby….now I know of a number supporting the imprisonment and execution of gay people.

16. funksands says:

Murph this IS great news. It’s interesting to listen to some lefty talkers. They are very pleased that Rush is getting his just desserts. They are also very very nervous about how this will impact them.

• MurphTheSurf3 says:

I think the rational, reasonable left and right will be ok. I like Smerconish on the Right for example. He pushes but does not rant or rave. What more could I ask for. Respectful and respectable public discourse!

• escribacat says:

Funk — apparently Bill Maher has been defending Limbaugh. I never watch the guy — he must be worried about his own skin though.

• MurphTheSurf3 says:

We had a long discussion at Vox Populi re. this on Friday. It is worth looking at.

• Hi Kalima! Maher always leaves me with mixed feelings about him. Some things he says are right on the money, then other things he says are purely self serving. His comment that the left should accept Limbaugh’s “apology,” was definitely of the self serving kind. I think Maher was trying to cover his tracks and also trying to get any future bad taste remarks he may utter, a prepaved route to dismissing such remarks with a half hearted apology.
          One thing I noticed about Maher years ago, is that after making ridiculing remarks about someone, he would quickly add, “I kid, I kid.” He’s not kidding. He’s trying to be controversial just like Rush and his right wing counter parts, because he knows that controversy sells. It attracts viewers to his show “Real Time,”, and promotes his other projects. In this way, he is no different than Limbaugh….et al.

Hello KT, just flying through for now, busy morning.

I’ve never liked Maher, and used to get into tiffs over yonder in the cesspool with Progressives about things he had said, and how they could be ok with it. To hear someone say that what he does is satire, makes me laugh. That’s not satire, it’s just a middle aged, puny little guy, demeaning others for profit. Satire is amusing, and the best satirists do it with such a skill, that even the subject has to laugh, and most do. The Brits have had some really great ones like Peter Cook, and Maher always misses the mark as he becomes whiny and offensive.

He must be very afraid of his own future by defending Rush in such a pathetic way, and yes, by defending him, he is the same. Maher doesn’t get it, and it will come back to bite him in his arse. No real loss.

17. SueInCa says:

Now it is time to get the popcorn ready and watch Game Change. I am dvr’ing it as well

• escribacat says:

I need to see that.

• SallyT says:

Escrib, it is good. I hope you get to see it. Like I said above, Julianne Moore is very good in it. She will probably be nominated for an Emmy. She should be!

• escribacat says:

Is it on TV or at the theaters?

• e’cat, I’ll have to wait for netflix too. I abandoned premier cable about a year ago. But sometimes I wish I still had it. Like in this instance. It might be available on Amazon “Inbox,” for a nominal fee.

• Agreed Sally. I do think Sarah’s shining star has faded quite a bit from what it was a couple of years ago. I think she has exhausted her run in the media, except for the buzz she is getting from this film. And I’m happy to say, it is not positive buzz she’s receiving. I wish the nation could just relinquish her to the dust bin of history.

• SallyT says:

KT, I hope you get to see it. It shows you how they created this monster in Palin and lost control of her. Even McCain thought she might turn on him. Also, she knew how to work the crowd and what her crowds would buy. In that she was really smart. Dangerous. They were not only stuck with her but now we are! Fortunately not in elected office and hopefully never!

• SallyT says:

On HBO several times tonight.

Or if you have OnDemand or something you can prolly order it now.

Should this free HBO thing end by the time Game of Thrones starts next month, I’m gonna be doing that.

• SallyT says:

Maybe someone can record it for you. Oh, and they show the real Obama and how great he came across to everyone in his speeches. The President will do it again!

• escribacat says:

Rats! I don’t get HBO. I guess I’ll have to wait and get it on Netflix.

• SallyT says:

Escrib, it is good. I hope you get to see it. Like I said above, Julianne Moore is very good in it and captures her

• I loved Julianne Moore after seeing her in The Big Lebowski. She played the character of Maude wonderfully. I have seen her in other films and liked those too. She is a good actor, and very easy on the eyes. 😉

• escribacat says:

I saw a picture of Julianne as Sarah…I thought she looked a lot softer than the real critter.

• SallyT says:

Well, there is only one Sarah. Let’s hope so anyway! Julianne at the end of the movie plays her as a harder person and more like the real thing. I think you will like it.

• SallyT says:

Sue, I thought they were pretty easy on her in the movie. Showed her as a concerned mother and defender of her own selected values. John McCain came off looking like a nice old guy. Palin was the one for running it negative. The movie let us know she was not prepared to run and she isn’t all that smart. We already knew that. But, she is a great actress and that is how they got her through the campaign. At the end of the movie you see that fame has gone to her head and she isn’t going to go away. Yup, we know that,too!! Darn it!!!! (Julianne Moore was great! She did capture her very well!)

• escribacat says:

Sally, that sounds like my impression of her. She got a taste of power and LIKED it a lot and won’t ever let go. She’s not very intelligent but she has cunning…which is what makes her dangerous. She is the only “star” the Republicans have — too bad for them that it’s bright and shiny but dysfunctional and hollow.

• The thing that always got me about Palin was her constant whining about the “Lamestream Media,” all the while, she was the biggest media hound around. She reveled in the fame and fortune that media attention brought her, while pissing and moaning about being the “victim,” of liberal biased media. Can’t have it both ways Sarah!

• SallyT says:

I hope you get to see it, Escrib, because that is how she comes across. They even call her the new Republican Star. They just didn’t vet her enough and that they admit. In fact the woman that wrote the book Game Change says in the movie that in the end she didn’t vote because of Palin. I saw her on some show and she said that was true. She skipped voting all together.

I’m sure that SP must be hiding in her basement screaming at the top of her lungs. 🙂

But, I bet she watched it……… 😉

• Sally, her gigantic ego will not allow her to miss it. I hope she has a good supply of Xanax on hand! 😉

Through the cracks of the fingers over her eyes, and the cotton wool stoppers in her ear Sally. 😀

• SallyT says:

Kalima, if she is truly like they showed her in the movie, she was glued to the set. They show her watching everything that is on TV about herself. Even Saturday Night Live. She does like to see herself. Of course, she blames everyone else when she comes off bad. I hope there were really people like those they showed in the movie that called her on it.

• funksands says:

Can’t do that while you are sniffing coke. I’m not implying anything, but there’s always a little less snow in Alaska when the Palins are in town.

And here’s me thinking that the white stuff around her nostrils was early morning frost. I know it gets cold there, we used to transit in Anchorage on our way to Europe, freezing. 😉

18. SueInCa says:

You know somehow I do not feel sorry for any of them. They all spew hate and are completely without morals.

Savage -- When he was listed as persona non grata by the UK had the nerve to contact Hillary Clinton to ask for her intervention after all the slime he as spread about them.

Levin -- Seems to be able to churn an unlimited supply of books speaking to our demise many since President Obama has become president.

Limbaugh -- What is there to say?

Tom Sullivan -- Screamed about losers walking away from home loans they “signed on the dotted line” for while his own home was in the process of foreclosure.

Laura Ingrahm -- Just a nasty bitch although she has shown some restraint here and there. But maybe that is just with Willard Mitnerd Ro-money.

Mancow could talk a good game with waterboarding but could not take it when given for more than a minute or two

G Gordon Liddy a convicted felon and a birther

O’Reilly, Hannity and Beck well their names speak for them

19. escribacat says:

Fantastic news. Oh, wouldn’t it be wonderful if all those hate-bags left the airwaves? Please please please let it be the beginning of the end.

Good Lord, how many sponsors does this creep have? There’s no accounting for bad taste it seems, and they all needed a big push to remove themselves. I hope it’s shifted the balance for RW radio hate fests, but I won’t hold my breath. The bigger they are, the harder they fall they say. Did anyone hear a big splash yet?

I know, Murdoch can sponsor him and take him down with him when the planned U.S. investigations begin.

• MurphTheSurf3 says:

Creeps, it seems, have been good business for a long time. As I look at this I wonder about the underlying business decisions involved. It would seem that the audiences have indeed been overestimated and reported. New electronic monitoring is creating a very different picture. And who are the listeners? The key demographic high purchasing groups are under-represented in the models. I also wonder if the big corporations are sensing a significant shift in the winds and are wondering about their association with the right. Just thinking. Businesses rarely act out of a sense of moral righteousness, but because of the bottom line. I wonder.

That is why I said the other day on AdLib’s post, that I wasn’t that impressed by them pulling their ads almost a week after gasbag said it. I thought that if there hadn’t been such a huge outrage, they would have stayed where they were. This pull out is great, but it seems like a domino effect to me, and not heartfelt as it should have been. Profits come first for the majority, but “image” comes second I suppose because it affects profits. If it damages the biggest, foul-mouthed parasite of them all, that’s good news.

• choicelady says:

It always takes public expression to move advertising dollars. If we don’t speak up, they think we don’t care, so why should they move their money?

We can see now how important our voices are. Wow -- what if we’d done this ages ago? We might have had a much cleaner set of national debates on issues and prevented this airwaves descent to the Right.

I don’t fault advertisers for going where they think the consumers are. I fault us for not reminding them that there are more of us than dittoheads.

I agree choicelady, it takes something as nasty as this to make us realize that we indeed do have a power to change things if we stick together to pursue it to the end. Power to the People, and a virtual “fist bump”.

• escribacat says:

Seems like a lot of them didn’t even know they were advertising on his show. They hire some company to buy ad time and don’t pay attention to where it goes.

• MurphTheSurf3 says:

But those companies report back on the buys and have to show the value of the advertising venue. So they knew but had plausible deniability.

That’s what happens when you have more money than sense. Most people would want to know or at least follow up where their money is being spent don’t you think? I think I smell 3 day old fish here.