AdLib On January - 14 - 2012

This Monday we celebrate the life of a most amazing and transformative man, Martin Luther King, Jr, so this weekend’s theme is a tribute to this great man and the profound difference he made in our nation…and for that matter, the world.

Songs about freedom, justice, respect, protest or whatever best expresses your thoughts about the man, what he fought for or his legacy.

Pride (In the Name of Love) – U2

Power to the People – John Lennon

I Have a Dream – Common and Will I Am

We Shall Overcome – Bruce Springsteen

Freedom – Jimi Hendrix

Categories: Music Thread

1. Phil Ochs--Freedom Riders;

2. Jenuwin says:

Eddie Vedder performs My City in Ruins

3. Cassandra Wilson--Redemption Song;

4. Tracy Chapman--Fast Car;

5. Sly and the Family Stone--Everyday People;

6. Sam Cooke--A Change Is Going To Come;

7. LFer says:

Moodswings -- Spiritual High (Parts 1, 2, and 3)
    Parts 2 and 3 are the best. That’s Chrissie Hynde of The Pretenders in Part 2 and the good doctor himself in Part 3.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Randy Crawford -- Everything Must Change

• PatsyT says:

Wow that is a find! Thank you dear Kalima!

Hi Patsy, I see you are still busy doing your good work.

We have seen her in concert 3 times here in Tokyo, she is really tremendous, not very tall, but her voice carries to every corner of the hall. I simply adore her.

Take care.

• PatsyT says:

Oooo Lucky You!
          I have loved her for years

Great Patsy, thanks. Brings back happy memories of me whizzing around Tokyo on my bike with my Walkman on full blast. Oh happy days! 😀

She has a remix version of this song on her album with Joe Sample, never tire of listening to her voice.

One of my all-time favourites, tonight especially for you. 🙂

9. escribacat says:

Bob Marley -- One Love

10. escribacat says:

UB40 — One in Ten

11. escribacat says:

96 Degrees in the Shade — Third World

12. Neil Young -- Southern Man

13. PatsyT says:

Whitney Houston & Cece Winans -- “Bridge Over Troubled Water”

14. PatsyT says:

“Come Sunday” (Live)- Mahalia Jackson

“Keep Your Hand On The Plow” (Live)- Mahalia Jackson

Trouble of the World -- Mahalia Jackson

15. Lauryn Hill -- Everything Is Everything

This was reportedly one of MLK’s very favorite hymns. “There Is A Balm In Gilead.”

17. SallyT says:

The Battle Cry

18. SallyT says:

Okay, I don’t know if I will do this right but I will try. If it doesn’t work, just know i was trying to get Mickael Jackson and Black or White on.

19. AlphaBitch says:

The incomparable Ms. Patty Griffin, at a gift (of good) from Texas -- Austin City Limits -- singing “I’ve Been Up to the Mountain”, her tribute to MLK and his last speech. ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL!!
    EDIT: She wrote this song. I always try to find the original songwriter’s version.

What a voice and what a song, AB.

Texas, when you do it right, you do it right!

• AlphaBitch says:

Kes -- you naughty girl! You were so funny last night!
        Glad you liked it -- I love everything Patty does. She’s not from Texas, but Austin City Limits had the wherewithal to feature her. Texas music can be sublime. The food -- BBQ, TexMex, seafood -- and the music make it worthwhile, and sometimes make up for the politics and the weather!

My son’s applying to some PhD programs and I think Texas A&M is among ’em, AB. That’ll give me an excuse to see the Lone Star State (one of the few I haven’t visited yet). With my “We ARE the 99%” bumper sticker, ya think I’ll get pulled over?

• AlphaBitch says:

Kes! If your son gets in -- or even if he doesn’t -- there’s ALWAYS a room and a meal for you at my home. I was an Agro-American, a 2%er at A&M in the 70s (me and Rick Dumb as a Doorknob Perry). funny how we emerged so different…….

COME SEE ME! We’ll find music. What is kesmarn’s son studying??????

Awww…what a sweetie you are, AB! I thank you from the bottom of my corn-country heart.

Did Perry really go to A & M? (Did Dubya really go to Yale?)What a waste of a college education…

My son will get his master’s in pure math this spring and he’s hoping to go onward and upward for that PhD. This is an incredibly difficult time to be applying for grad programs, though. Applications WAY up and funding way down…

If he gets in at A & M, though… Girlfriend! Are we going to celebrate!! I’ll take you out for the dinner/blues of your choice!

20. Billie Holiday -- Strange Fruit

KQ, I was curious as to who wrote those brilliantly disturbing lyrics and discovered that it was Abel Meeropol, a Jewish school teacher from the Bronx.

I understand he and his wife later adopted the two children of the Rosenbergs, who were executed for espionage.

Abraham, Martin and John:

Lift Every Voice and Sing: (This makes me cry every time I watch it.)

• choicelady says:

kes -- Lift Every Voice is considered to be the “Black National Anthem” in a POSITIVE way -- not separatist, not defiant, just knowing the hard road they’ve walked. I love it. Thank you for posting it! This is the first video version I’ve seen -- and it just reduced me to tears, it’s SO powerful and full of pain and hope! Beautiful! BTW -- the United Methodist Women, an integrated group, has adopted this to sing at their meetings.

• SallyT says:

Kesmarm, both of these bring a tear to my eyes. I just watched the movie Amistad again the other day. Humans were cruel animals in our history. And, there are still too many that aren’t tamed, yet.

True, Sally. MLK understood that too, I think, when he wrote:

“The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. Instead of diminishing evil, it multiplies it. Through violence you may murder the liar, but you cannot murder the lie, nor establish the truth. Through violence you may murder the hater, but you do not murder hate. In fact, violence merely increases hate. So it goes. Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.” Where Do We Go from Here: Chaos or Community?, 1967

22. Martin Luther King’s Last Speech: “I Have Been To The Mountaintop”

23. GirlOutWest says:

I’d like to thank my Mom for raising us to value people…all people. I was raised in Southern Missouri by a woman from West Virgina and a father from the Ozarks. I’m not ancient but I’m not a kid so the odds were high that we would hold some backwards ideas on race. We didn’t and we don’t.

My Mom is with me in spirit only but I hope she knows somehow how grateful I am for her open mind and sensitive soul…So I thank you Mom in honor of Martin Luther King Day!

PS: I love that Bruce Springsteen cut!

• choicelady says:

Hi GirlWoutWest -- I have a friend who was from Springfield, she of a mixed race background, whose appearance was white. She also fought in SW MO and the Ozarks against the racism that was and is so prevalent there even though she could have walked away -- no one realized she was partly Black. Although she knew how hateful MO could be, she knew people like your family, too, and it got her through a lot of dark days. Thank you for saying all this -- your family is the light of change. All of us here try to be like you.

• GirlOutWest says:

You know Rush Limbaugh hails from MO and at one time Jerry Falwell preached there. I’m not sure I would have agreed with much he was preaching! Just sayin’! I think Missouri is a wonderful state with many, many wonderful people but they do have a history. I’d like to think that much has changed in the years since I’ve left there. I know and love people that still live there who get it but there are still those who don’t.
        Trying to get Democrats elected there is most difficult especially in Southwest MO.
        I’d better get back to the Bronco game…no matter how awful it is!

• SallyT says:

Thank you GOW for sharing with us. I grew up in Missouri and some in my family weren’t as open minded as yours. But, I learned they were wrong. It took me moving away to see how wrong they were and dealing with a little discrimation against me in another area. Too many of those I know that never left good ole Mo still have hangups. My children never saw color and my grandchilden are way pass that and sexual discrimation, too. I am older than you, I am sure. Each generation takes us further.

• GirlOutWest says:

Sally T…I doubt you’re much older than me but I try to keep telling myself I’m not SO old :-)!
        My husband is a couple of years older than me but he thinks he’s a cute youngish guy and it rubs off. Men were born with the “I’m great” gene…why didn’t we women get that in the abundance they have? Have a nice evening!

• I was lucky in my household intolerance was not accepted so I actually appreciate people more who grow above what they learned at home because it was more of conscious choice to be tolerant.

• Thank you so much for sharing this with us.