AdLib On June - 11 - 2011

Climate Change is cooking much of the country with record heat so this weekend’s music thread is meant to send cool thoughts to our friends who are suffering through it.

Tunes about cool things or cool music is what we’re pouring over the rocks this weekend.

Cold as Ice – Foreigner

Cool – West Side Story

Take Me to the River – Talking Heads

Fire and Ice – Pat Benatar

The Summer Wind – Frank Sinatra

Categories: Music Thread

1. Haruko Haruhara says:

Actually, it’s really cold and rainy where I live. :(

2. KQuark says:

Any Juggalos out there?

• jkkFL says:

::raising hand:: Yes, Sir- here!!
      “But- Miracles??”
      That’s quite unlike you, Sir?! 😉

• KQuark says:

I have a very eclectic taste in music. I know I sound technical allot but that’s just how I learned how to write. But sure I think everything around us is a miracle. In my experience sciency types have allot in common with artsy types though we approach our examinations differently we both are passionate about examining the wonders of the natural world, biology and the universe. Now engineer types are a different lot all together. They again through my experience are more about controlling and exploiting nature than examining it’s wonders. Again these are generalizations which never are always true.

The Sisters Of Mercy -- Driven Like The Snow

4. KQuark says:

A unique cover for the old Foreigner song “Cold as Ice” by BoB.

5. KQuark says:

Here’s another more easy song.

6. KQuark says:

I think this new song is pretty coool.

This may sound weird but reminds me of a cross between Nelly Furtado and Linkin Park (rapping style). And she can play in the water without looking like she’s freezing!

• KQuark says:

Definitely a sultry type of trip hop. I love artists that successful fuse their influences into and create a new style their own. Even if parts of their style reminds you over others.

Now don’t get me going on someone like Lady Gaga who may have some talent but is a complete freakin’ ripoff of other artists like Madonna and Janis Jackson. Not to say they didnn’t rip of stuff too most artists do nowadays but Gaga is so blatant about it. I mean “Born this Way” is a direct knockoff of Madonna’s “Express Yourself” and she rips off ABBA as well. I would really have an artist sample a song instead of get by like that.

Rant over.

Lady Gaga is indeed derivative, but I gotta admit, she’s super talented. It’s not my genre, but I can recognize true talent when I see it. In other words, I hope her most creative days are ahead of her.

By the way, my favorite Sarah Palin quip is that guessing what Palin is going to do the next day is like guessing what Lady Gaga is going to wear next.

• KQuark says:

You are right she is very talented. I even heard her sing acappella and she was great. She’s actually a better musical talent than Madonna and JJ IMHO. But that’s why I have a bigger problem with her because she obviously is taking short cuts because of her personal ambitions.

• jkkFL says:

I Like this cut- But-Love GaGa!

Indeed, and unlike them she’s a virtuoso on the piano (and I was surprised she’s even a bit intellectual, though Madonna has natural real world intelligence).
              She has classical training, some education and everything. We’re on the same page. What really bothers me is when I see talent like that wasted.

7. jkkFL says:

Norah Jones- Cold, Cold Heart

(Sittin’ on) The Dock of the Bay -- Otis Redding

Bridge Over Troubled Waters -- Simon and Garfunkel

The Rain Song -- Led Zeppelin

9. jkkFL says:

Zac Brown- Colder Weather

10. jkkFL says:

Elvis- (Cold) Kentucky Rain

11. Time to say good night, folks. But first I must drop this amazing rendition here;

12. jkkFL says: