deygirl On February - 17 - 2011

Sell out.  Troll central.  Rag.  Real Posters of Huffington {{spit}} County.

Whatever you want to say about HP {{spit}} and what it was/is/is becoming, it seems we owe it a debt of gratitude.  It is the place I happened upon during the time when I thought that I was the only person in the world who could not see the emperor’s clothes.  The war was a good thing (huh?).  We were bringing democracy to the Middle East by bombing the shit out of them, and they were going to LIKE us for it.  LOVE us, in fact.  Patriotism meant never having to say “I think for myself.”  Bush was a uniter (worked in the Middle East.  They’re completely unified in their anger at us. )  All I could do was listen to the sheep bleating their approval and keep my shameful secret that I couldn’t see any of it.

I remember finding HP {{spit}} and the comments section by accident and reading through them, realizing that not only was I NOT alone, there were LOTS of people like me.  And they were smart and thoughtful and sane!  It was a miracle.  I read for weeks, and realized that there were regulars there who really knew their sh*t, and could beat down the conservative posters with actual facts.

I read Hume’s posts, saw how people reacted to him.  He was the professor.  He would smack people around for being impertinent and hand out the praise relatively sparingly.  I was in awe.  And intimidated as hell.

And then, one day, I read an article that hit home for me, and I saw the trolls posting nonsense and I had to speak.  So, adey made her first comment and I logged out in fear, pacing and worrying that I had managed to bring humiliation to myself on a scale I had never imagined in my worst teenaged nightmares.  And then I went in for a peek, because I’m just a curious George.

The trolls were silent.  People reacted with agreement, or polite disagreement.  It was a small thing, but it gave me the nerve to try again.  And again.  And then the miracle of miracles occured–Hume complimented me.  And the regulars I’d been admiring actually respected my opinion.  I was hooked.

In those days, the headlines matched the articles, for the most part.  The trolls were real.  the discussions were real.  WE were real.  We had to be– there were no avatars, so we had to EARN respect with facts and reason.   Then came the avatars and the badges and everything changed.  HP {{spit}} changed.  WE changed.

So here is the question: How did we–each of us– get from there to here?

1. Kitten_of_DOOM says:

I’d been bouncing around from HP to CNN to dailykos getting my newsies all cross-referenced and verified like I like ’em, then one day the 805th story on HP about yet more anti-abortion legislation in the works caught my eye and I decided to post a comment- and was hooked. At first, I posted anything and everything, no pending, no waiting. And then I did the Big Bad. I said something unpleasant about Newt Gingrich. Not many know this, but “Moderator Stephanie” is a big fan of the Gingrinch. Suddenly, I couldn’t post a “LOL”. So I had a little fun with word games and hidden messages. No one noticed. Until I got into a mini-flamewar with some bonehead on a music thread. I called her a tw4t. She replied in kind. My comment got snuffed, hers didn’t, I complained, was suspended, received some very unprofessional emails from Stephanie (which I posted on Current, nearly getting her fired, according to her), and I ended up banned. Sort of. My 1500 comments remain, and I’m posting under 4 other identities, just in case important issues come up or I feel like making a pain in the ass of myself.

The problem with the Huffington Post, is that Arianna was hoping to resurrect the Algonquin Roundtable on the internet, but she does not possess the wit, the literacy or the irreverence to pull it off, and she’s placed lackeys of inferior intellect and abysmal writing skills in charge of her comment content. Most of the time, the HP mods don’t understand what they’re reading, and the rest of the time, they’re focused on manifesting their neocon agenda by arbitrarily removing the comments that would effectively put a cap on the right-wing argument for a particular thread.

It’s intolerable to have misogynistic assholes running amok, allowed to vent their spleen with impunity, and not be allowed to respond at all, much less in kind. Hamstringing such arguments for entertainment value is a revolting misuse of a news forum.

” alt=”FuckHuffPO”>

2. RuthlessDictator says:

Hey everybody, Ruthless here! Just signed up.

Wow it’s cool to see some former HP-ers I recognize like JMBrodie , PocketWatch and some others (I think I remember you too, deygirl!). I called it quits at HP after almost two thousand posts. HP, I mean The Huffington Post and Arianna -- oops, I forget I can spell it out here without getting scrubbed by the mods. That feels SO good!

The Huffington Post -- All Palin, ALL THE TIME!

3. Truth says:

To everybody: News about how we are going to proceed with this thread/series is coming up shortly. Deygirl and I had decided VERY spontaneously to tackle this project plus we need to process the reactions so far.

• AHud says:

Hey Truth, I am happy to say that I’m A PROUD subscriber of the Planet! WE NEED THIS TO THRIVE! Will do all I can to spread the word…and believe me I can talk! Mardi Gras has started here so I’ll have to let that take its course! Still I’m excited about this site and about the fact that we can discuss issues honestly and openly without the threat of attack!

Well done to all who labored to give birth this wonderful place!

4. AHud says:

I simply don’t understand why people continue to support her! You can’t fight against her agenda. She’s achieved that! The only thing those who disagree with her can ‘effectively’ do is leave the site! To remain there simply keep the stick of power in her hands!

Ariana’s greed and deception is well known and documented. She’s no different from Red State, Storm Front or Fox News; just a different cover! I wouldn’t support any of those sites as I no longer support HP! Huffington Post NEED a certain number of registered posters to post (regardless of the content in your post)to be successful! So, when you’re fighting trolls or stating a well researched point of view…it doesn’t matter. In the end the only thing that matters (again, regardless of content) is the fact that you post there!

I will not be a contributor to part of the greed that is destroying this country and President Obama and his administration with misleading headlines and stupid chit from Palin, Beck, and Rush featured all day long!

It comes down to Liberals and Progressives making a choice of either supporting the problem or shutting it down!

AHud,

“Ariana’s greed and deception is well known and documented.”

-- I wonder if the stuff is known widely enough, especially among progressives. Her suppression of any , even mild, criticism of her must have a reason.

It comes down to Liberals and Progressives making choice of either supporting the problem or shutting it down!”

-- Excellent points.

5. escribacat says:

Interesting article about Arianna from New Yorker, Oct 2008, talking about her run for CA governor:

Huffington’s campaign, from the start, was troubled: she arrived at City Hall to file her papers at the same time as Schwarzenegger, hoping to piggyback on his publicity; she ended up, to much comment, knocking over a bank of microphones intended for him. As her chances dimmed further, she formed a last-ditch progressive partnership with the Green Party politician Peter Camejo. Toward the end of September, after it was disclosed that she had paid only a total of seven hundred and seventy-one dollars in taxes for the previous two years, she dropped out of the race. (Huffington said that the bulk of her income was child-support payments.) Camejo, who died last month, recalled that she “then reversed her position, pulled out of the election, and began riding around with Davis on his airplane.” He continued, “My experience with her was that her ego plays a big role in her life, and her commitment to her political principles seems to vary depending on what wind is blowing and whatever might benefit her in the short term.”

Read more http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2008/10/13/081013fa_fact_collins#ixzz1EO6H6UJv

6. justafarmer says:

I was HuffPo for years, with this same name.
    HuffPo got insane long before the AOL buyout.
    I have NO idea who these “moderators” are at HP but they are just stoopid.
    just sayin…

7. Truth says:

Deygirl, after kicking this off you still leave me redundant now? Or was your instruction that I should set up the behind-the-scenes email for those who want to participate?

• deygirl says:

You went to sleep, I thought. 🙁

• Truth says:

I did, but it’s morning here now and I’m eager to continue….. ok, ok, it’s the weekend, I try to be a BIT more patient…. 8)

PS: I continue to work behind the scenes though…. I think I have to! See what my horoscope for today says:

…Creative passion is strong. You could have a sudden inspiration, perhaps influenced by a distant place. Don’t be afraid to take time from your mundane chores to pursue this inspiration. Creativity is as important as anything else.

• audadvnc says:

Here’s my horoscope for today:

“… thirst for coffee is strong. You could have had a sudden inspiration, but it turned out to just be gas. Don’t be afraid to swing by the store to pick up milk & eggs on the way home. Breakfast is as important as anything else.”

8. AHud says:

Honestly…for me…I just had enough of her! Mrs. Huffington!!!!!!! Everything about her makes me ill! I absolutely hate the way she parades the Liberal troch around her rightwing cohorts; then (immersed in sheer delight) she (with all of her rich little mite) dunks it in the coldest water she could find while flashing that cheesy mug of hers!

Yes, she provided a format for us to gather. But, it was/is one built on falsehoods and deceptions. I can and will not continue to enable her to build her fortune; while she provides voice to those who want to tear down our country!

• chillfactor says:

The format Arianna established was a good thing of sorts..it led many HPers here who were tired of her antics and the trollies that are allowed to rant their garbage unchallenged…as a neewbie here I am still fnding my way around but I think I will like it here….

• audadvnc says:

HP could be considered as ProgMedia version 1.0 -- complete with bugs and long-term limitations that required a total rewrite.

Let’s get going on version 2.0 …

• Truth says:

I sure hope you do. Many of us are new, btw -- I’m about 2 weeks old here and enjoy the famous right of free speech quite a bit.

• Truth says:

AHud, very much agreed. But then we probably have to conclude that it was her intention to split the left from the outset. Marion a bit further down the thread expressed that very well.

• AHud says:

Yes…and she played her hand well! It’s now up to us! We can’t be a part of that on ANY level!

• Truth says:

Alina, exactly. Are you on board with us too? We’re about to kick off a series called “Secrets From Beyond the Emerald Curtain”. She shouldn’t be allowed to pull a Palin and just get away with stuffed pockets.

9. audadvnc says:

Here’s a related sell-out story for your consideration: Cenk Uygur of The Young Turks landing a slot on MSNBC. Cenk, like the Empress, was a hard core neocon back in the day, then had a 180 degree turn in political slant, starting up that very successful YouTube channel catering to -- political progressives. Now he’s appearing regularly on MSNBC. And has brought Her on as a guest on more than one occasion recently.

And approximately 50% of TYT’s threads are celebrity or sex related.

Just a curious coincidence, I suppose…

Perhaps Ana Kasparian can be saved before she’s thrown under the TYT bus. She’s smart, but under Cenk’s thumb. How many national shows could she go to?

• Buddy McCue says:

I like to listen to the first half of The Young Turks podcast.

The first part is usually political news, and the second part pop-culture (which I don’t listen to.)

I don’t have TV, so I don’t know what Cenk is like on MSNBC, but the podcast is pretty good.

• audadvnc says:

Yesterday I wrote an email to Ana at TYT voicing my concerns. She wrote back with this comment:

“Robert, I’m very happy that you value TYT’s mission as much as me and Cenk do. I can assure you that TYT is Cenk’s number one priority. We’re not going anywhere or changing our core beliefs.”

So, at least she and TYT are aware we’re paying attention. But I notice a conspicuous lack of TYT coverage on the AOL/HP story. Are they merely being careful not to burn their bridges, or have they already crossed them to MSM land with Arianna?

• Buddy McCue says:

Cenk was explaining the other day about why he thinks it’s important to be on cable.

He said, “look at this picture of Obama in the Oval Office.” (I couldn’t see the picture he was talking about, because I was listening by way of podcast, but I could imagine it.)

Apparently the picture showed Obama looking a TV screen that was divided into four quadrants, each showing a different channel. One is permanently set on FOX, another on MSNBC, and another on CNN. The fourth is changeable.

Cenk said that this is part of the reason he felt that he needed to be on cable. He said that it’s important to be heard in the Oval Office, as well as the millions of people who watch cable news.

Again, I haven’t seen him on MSNBC, but he says that he isn’t sticking to any transcript, but doing his usual thing. His usual thing is being honest, and telling it like it is (as he personally sees it.)

I don’t always agree with the guy, and sometimes he’s annoying, but I do appreciate the strength and honesty of somebody who will tell you what he really thinks.

• jkkFL says:

shit sells.

10. Slow Turning says:

Once Upon a time, HP covered news, but the stories were not unlike news found most anywhere. What made it better was the commenters below the article.

Long before I began commenting, I found that I was more interested in what the critical thinkers were saying about the news, because they were well read folk who knew a lot, and their thoughts added a lot of right headed understanding to what was not written in the news. They collectively help see a bigger picture. They interrelate past with present with a mix of obscure put in for good measure. It was a big hit when Hume Passed, but still a group of great minds that make a difference.

Lately, and not unlike many others, I began to notice that my fan count plummeted and those people I regularly sought out, to see what they were thinking about current events were no longer commenting. I asked around and learned that some of them had come here.

Lately posting anything at HP became like a line out of a Mose Allison’s Parchman Farm. “I’m puttin that cotton in an eleven foot sack, with a 12 gauge shotgun at my back.” We were edited beyond belief while blather and diatribe was being allowed to stand.

The reason (for me) to care about the comments there sorta withered. None of what I came to read was being allowed anymore. It seemed like open season on anyone moderate to left. The right wingers had a free pass. Heck, some of them were getting fan counts that were on par with many others, and their comments were not comments, they were wrong headed unsubstantiated blather.

Next, (my prediction) News Corp will Purchase AOL, and that will not be such a surprise. (Arrianna’s Karma Possibly.) Cool how the word Arianna is not moderated here.) Not really a surprise at all. I am thankful HP did cover the Jobless Issues well and thank Arthur Delany for his work on that.

What I am saying is that though news is news, (journalism is best when it is neutral) I have come appreciate how a certain combination of commenters; real people who see, interpret and comment on it, has become as important to me than the news itself, because it checks my thinking too, and for that I feel better about my own considerations.

It is nice to learn that this is where a lot of those people have come. It is nice to have this place! Thank you to those people, they may know who they are, and Hello again!

• Artist50 says:

You make a really good point. It was becoming increasingly difficult to find an educated discussion. I found myself defending the GOP the other day because there were nothing but misinformation and lies -- no one was dealing in logic or fact. It was a hate diatribe -- where is that going to get any of us.

I’m glad I found this site -- I tend to be a listener and not a contributor but I want to read someone who is thought provoking.

• jdmn17 says:

Having been back a few times to try to find friends, reading through the comments today compared to what I used to see I would say today that 90% of it is drivel.

People take a story that lacks detail and begin to extrapolate from it making all kinds of assumptions from their own personal perspective.

Entire threads of comments descend into name calling and snark about things that aren’t even in the original story.

So glad I’m not leaning on it for my only contact with other thoughtful people. Hell, even the conservatives are pleasant here.

• Buddy McCue says:

True, the name-calling and snark got pretty old pretty fast.

I made thousands of comments on that site, and only resorted to name-calling once (after too many glasses of whiskey one night, I called somebody an idiot.)

Name-calling is almost never necessary. Also, I never indulged in those cutesy respellings of people’s names and things. Like “Rethuglican;” I saw that one a lot.

It doesn’t persuade anyone to your point of view, and it doesn’t appeal to anyone except people who agree with you to begin with.

11. KillgoreTrout says:

I joined huffpo in 2007. At first, I didn’t comment much because it took so long for my comments to appear and/or responded to. So I would go over to politico. The people there were like a pack of jackals. Very nasty and condescending. So I basically went back to huffpo and hoped for the best.
    It got better and better for a while. My comments appeared in a shorter time, and replies to my comments became pretty regular. It was great, up until the time they introduced the badge program. I thought it was rather silly and sophomoric, so I opted out within a few days. (although months later they gave me a pundit badge and vanity told me to keep it)
    The worst part was the citizen mod program. I knew right away that it was a horrible idea. The as time went on, my comments became increasingly deleted. I think that happened to everybody who is here now. It just became a huge waste of time, writing comments that required a bit of thought, only to see them disappear into the ether.
    I was extremely glad when I came here after zootliberal’s invitation. I could never go back to HP. It is now as bad as politico was.

• Truth says:

KT, the erasing of thoughtful comments happened to so many people. At that time I thought it was just happening to mine. But now that our opinions not are suppressed anymore and we can exchange our experiences openly I have to conclude, that this was very much a concerted effort on their part. It also matches the increasing trivialization of the outlet.

12. coveark says:

I got here by invitation from another HPer, actually more than one. 100+ of my fans disappeared almost over night. After I figured out that nothing I had posted after the mods were done with me was offensive enough to turn that many of my friends off. It was shocking because it was not about ‘fans’, it was about those with common ideas , beliefs and thoughts. I do not get off reading or wasting my time trying to communicate with Trolls.

I took the advice and figured out this reference (from my friends) and came over to check it out. So far I do not have it all figured out although so many I know and respect are here. I hope this will prove to be my new home .

I do have a problem connecting here sometimes . I submitted a reply to Ad Lib last night and when submitted the whole site disappeared and
    that reply was lost forever and at 1AM……I was just too tired to do it again. Oh well. I am happy to see all of my friends. 🙂

Coveark

Welcome again. I’m getting tired of talking to you through a mostly strung out thread we’ve each had to reload about two or three times on HP.
      I’m with PW on the sunspot thing. I like that better as an explanation that some of Arianna’s goons coming by and raising hell.
      Hope you stick around and since he didn’t offer them I’ll tell you if you are good PW will offer donuts 🙂

• PocketWatch says:

coveark --

Yesterday was trying for many… sunspots, aliens, spotty connections, server issues… all made it a trial yesterday. I am sure they are working it out.

BTW, I lost almost 300 fans on Black Monday out of over 1,600.. It was then I knew SOMETHING was up!

13. Truth says:

deygirl, I have to leave now. I need some proper sleep for the first time in 2 weeks!!! Please let me know how we are going to proceed or/and what you think about my suggestions. If you had something completely else in mind than I have, we still need to figure out how to proceed. But please don’t expect me to be clairvoyant…
    There are a lot more comments on your thread, and hihi, you as the author have to read them all….. Then you’re going to find also some more of my questions to you, most of them have remained unanswered so far. Take your time and think what is the next thing to do, then post it to me on top of the thread, else it’s hard to find now. Thanks, see you later and have a good time.

14. girlsparky says:

I remember telling a friend that I got a lot of my news from HP and that the comments were often better than the article. I read for a long time before feeling like I finally had to speak out and created an account about a year ago. In my memory, it seems that lately the Obama bashing has really gotten out of control. I don’t know how many times I have posted that I still support Obama when he was getting bashed from both sides. I joined up here but have not yet deleted my account at HP. I think it will take me a while to get used to the format here at PPOV but I like it so far and have seen a lot of familiar users that I respected from HP. So far, I like what I see here.

• coveark says:

The same for me.

I AM also so disappointed with the Obama bashing, having to see the face of the Repug crazy/evil women in particular. I hope this will be exactly what I am looking for.

• audadvnc says:

The crazy teabagger ladies are quite something else, aren’t they? One thing I like about HP is how it portrays Michele Bachmann as a lunatic.

Correction: I “liked” about HP. I threw up on them and “poofed” last week.

GirlSparky, welcome to The Planet! What a lot of it comes down to for me is the quality of life issue. Blogging here for me is positive, creative, where I can fully express myself and talk openly with others like real, concerned and thoughtful people. No venom being spewed, no racism tossed out to try and provoke me, no censorship of my thoughts.

At the Planet, we already have come together on a number of important issues and in some cases, have made a big difference. Despite my being at HP bringing me together with a number of valued friends and colleagues, in all my time there, I never DID anything there to make a difference (though at the time I thought attacking and exposing trolls was doing something but all it was, was a neverending vicious cycle).

All this is a long winded way of saying that here we get to act like real human beings and our respect for each other and that we receive, brings us together in a much more valuable way by which we can better understand and explore issues and truly come together at times to make a meaningful difference.

• Truth says:

Great, welcome girlsparky. No need to delete your account, just be aware of the bad environment though….

• deygirl says:

It’s insane. And these same people wonder how the contuds got into power. WE put them there with our refusal to fight the meme.

15. chasethis says:

Oh, adey, what have you wrought? I always knew you could stir a pot. I did not know how well. I love, love, love reading through all you smart people’s posts and reminiscing how it was at HP {{spit}}.

At this time, I will not poof my account over there. Like others here, I enjoy lurking over there and dropping the occasional bon mot. As this planet community grows, I hope we will all remember how we got here, why we got here and consider what we can do to make positive contributions. Judging by the comments here, we’re headed in a delightful direction.

How’s that for some schmaltz? 🙄

16. audadvnc says:

AH’s sellout to AOL is mildly interesting, but it’s just money. Let’s not expend too much emotional energy on this. HP was an interesting -- and wildly successful -- experiment in marketing to the progressive niche subculture.

Good on her -- now let’s do it better here.

17. deygirl says:

@Truth--

What if we set up a joint email, where more than one person (YOU in particular--you are a dynamo!)can access? That way the thing is truly collaborative, and it is less likely to stray into a joint bitch session.

Dey

A bitch session? You really think a sensitive, warm, loving, caring group like this could degenerate into a bitch session?

I am appalled at your lack of trust in our collective goodness 🙂

Mutual email? Or a blog we could all access. Can that be done on blogspot? Or how about google docs? Can’t you share there?

I am willing, just point me in the right direction.

jd

• deygirl says:

LOL

A bitch thread. We can call it “rag rage.”

• audadvnc says:

Rag tag?

• jdmn17 says:

I’ll leave the naming of the thread to better minds than mine. Something about “little angry women” comes to mind when I think about some of the female posters here. And I mean that with a great deal of love. Nothing wrong with a little edge of feistiness.

• deygirl says:

Unless you marry her. ;p

I pity my ex. The first one, anyway.

• jdmn17 says:

Sure we weren’t married? Where do you think I learned the phrase?

After my divorce and a couple of stumbling relationships I met a really “nice” gal. My best friend and I were talking after I’d brought her over for his take and he sat me down and told me I had a thing for “little angry women”.

I dismissed that of course, but in reality I’ve always been attracted to women who had some spunk (he preferred women who were more compliant -- if that’s the right term).

Hell, I fanned FeistySlug on HP because she said she was feisty.

I got the sense from you already you are no one to be messing with when the lawn is two days overdue for mowing.

• Truth says:

You see, jd? Just now I left a comment for you below, stating we all bring our special gifts to the table…..

As for contributing here: what would you like to do? The idea so far is to make this an ongoing series to collect material. All those who want to join write an article or two concerning HP, about an issue that is close to their heart. Let us know, what you find interesting to do. Probably you might like to write a small article about the way AH riled us up against each other, which hindered every discussion between right and left? It doesn’t have to be more than a slightly extended comment. And in the end we should find a way to piece the entire thing together into one article, at least that’s what is on my mind right now. What do you think?

• Truth says:

deygirl -- yes, but I have no idea how to do that. Can you arrange this?

18. Gransview says:

I just read through all the comments, and feel like many of you gave voice to my feelings. I haven’t deleted my account yet, but for me “Elvis has definitely left the building.”

If I go there, it’s just to catch a few posters I love.

19. Truth says:

Ouch, something went wrong. I try to upload that later, after all these are deleted…

20. Marion says:

Don’t forget Darrell Issa.

21. Marion says:

We got from there to here because we think critically and are able to discern straight fact from agenda-laced opinion. Some of us remember Huffington when she was Stanisopoulos and when she made Phyllis Schlafly look liberal. Never bought the original Damascene conversion and I certainly don’t buy hers.

• Redemption Song II says:

…proof positive, Marion, that histories are important to know. (I admit that I don’t know AH’s, but the more I hear, the more I’m inclinded to chalk it up to “well played” on her part.)

22. Truth says:

…But it is all but impossible to read the LA Times’ three exhaustive articles on MSIA, dating to 1988 and 1994, without coming to the conclusion that the movement is, in fact, a scary cult, and among the last organizations Huffington should be calling on to prepare HuffPo to keep growing as the economy, and soon politics, cools down.

John-Roger is depicted as a paranoid leader who secretly wires each room in Insight headquarters with a microphone connected to his office, who taps the phones, and who warns that his critics “had been infected by a powerful and contagious negative force known as the Red Monk,” a spirit of whom members were terrified. He removed “negative entities” in a popular “exorcism-like” ceremony known as the “Super II’s,” organized hours-long “Prana Awareness Trainings” involving “repeatedly answering a simple question,” and organized followers into a complex hierarchy, including a Melchizedek Priesthood and an inner, elite circle of attractive young male ministers known as “the Guys.”

[img][/img]

23. Parsifals says:

I am not an oldie, except in real life, and came to the HP in ’08 and just read the articles. I started to post in ’09, didn’t like the experience as several of what I considered well thought out responses, got hashed up in a pending file. I complained. Got some answers. Turned off my log-in and just read.

When Egypt’s demonstration begin I was glued to the screen and my posting skyrocketed, but I don’t fan, and only fav; have only interacted with a handful of members, several of course now here, and see a spiraling down effect all over the Huff--content, posting, political slant, s racism permitted and lots of vitriol, inconsistent moderation, etc.

My complaints are myriad, and have only accelerated post the alphabet take over. But I haven’t unsub’d and don’t know if I will. I have no allegiance to Ms. $-bags, but I like to read politics from a wide range of bloggers, newspapers. Occasionally they’ll feature something I don’t get elsewhere.

And Ms. Huff was on my radar as not what she seemed, ages ago, so I wasn’t as surprised by her fiscally conservative move--but it did and does disappoint and stick in my craw as another sell-out to thugs with britches.

• deygirl says:

I don’t think any of us were fooled by the queen. I, for one, knew it was about money for her, but as long as we had a place to “speak,” I was okay with it.

I always said that the truth and information was in the comments section, if you knew which ones to read. What was pathetic was when the articles became a “fact-search,” and the headlines became mere misdirection.

• Abbyrose86 says:

Good morning Deygirl.

I agree with you completely, it was the trade off for having the forum and being able to discuss issues. I think we all realized that…but then she reneged on HER end of the deal with the constant moderation, deletions, suppression, etc.

• deygirl says:

Morning, Abby! What bugs me is that she’s still holding some of my favorite people hostage. I wonder if she put them in the same room with the raptured comments? What I would give to have access tO THOSE!

• Truth says:

Oh here you are deygirl, good! I hoped to catch you earlier and posted a few things below for you.

• deygirl says:

Couldn’t get onto the site last night (Murphy’s law) and have been trying to catch up with you guys!

• Truth says:

Deygirl, anyway, we’re not in a hurry! You were so fast, I couldn’t believe my eyes that your post was already there a few hours ago!

I’m looking forward to your opinion how we should proceed. Since we didn’t clarify before starting the project I have no idea about your plans and ideas.

Yet if we make it a series, where everyone who participates writes a post or two, I had an excellent idea for the title of the series.

Secrets From Beyond The Emerald Curtain

However, this title requires escribacats’ permission. Escribacat recently brought up a quote regarding HP, containing the words “emerald curtain” -- I don’t remember the quote exactly, but the term hit home!

24. intotheabyss says:

Let’s remember that Arianna used to work for the conscience free Newt Gingrich. I don’t know about you, but every time he opens his pie hole and the media treat him as credible, it makes my blood run cold. It seemed almost too good to be true that Arianna suddenly had this miraculous political awakening. If it seems too good to be true… Being the conspiratorial theorist that I am, I’m starting to suspect a planned stealth attack by Miss H. from the get go. Entice the lefties to your (progressive) blog and allow them to believe they now have a main on line gathering place. Once you have them where you want them, pull a bait and switch. Start treating them with disrespect, frustrate their ability to communicate and see how long they tolerate it. At the same time you persuade bonafide progressive bloggers to post on your site for free while you rake in the dough. Finally, when everything is in place, you launch your attack from the right, leaving the progressive community dumbfounded. The saddest part of the whole thing is a lot of true blue progressives are still under the illusion that HuffPost is a progressive news blog. That would seem to be the best reason there is for publishing a collaborative piece by former HP posters. She really does need to be exposed for the phony she is.

• audadvnc says:

A lot of true blue progressives are still under the illusion that Barack Obama is a progressivist president. He really does need to be exposed for the phony he is also.

• tuneup2 says:

I saw an “interview” (love fest) on Bill Maher last week with Arianna on screen and found that I can no longer stomach her and her implied money hording with no recognition of those that made it happen. I am also finding that Bill is and has always been a fav of her which brings to question his credibility. I know he is not liberal and an atheist. Being an atheist I can stomach and libertarian but a fav of Arianna, well you have to to some extent judge people by the friends they keep. The picture above proves it.

• Marion says:

Maher is no libertarian -- he doesn’t even know the meaning of the word; but I’ll grant you, it pisses me off when I hear him refer to himself as a Progressive, when he’s effing conservative. I’m beside myself at the number of people who buy into the fact that he’s from the Left. He’s not.

tuneup2:

[img]http://planetpov.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/2-fake-progressives.tiff[/img]

[img][/img]

Gawker.com, August 26th, 2010
      Internet empress Arianna Huffington is in Amalfi, Italy, apparently, mixing it up with Newt and Callista Gingrich, mega-entertainment lawyer Allen Grubman and his wife Deborah, and Barbara Walters. Proof fancy yacht vacations really are out of fashion for the super-rich?

• jdmn17 says:

These people give people from the 60’s a bad rap. I would like to think a large number of us from then still have an edge of “cool and hip” or am I fooling myself?

• escribacat says:

jdm, I’ve always thought that Republicans are the kids who were the jocks and dorks in high school.

• KillgoreTrout says:

Through many travails and travels, I found I no longer needed to be cool or hip.

The Eternal Question………..What is hip?

• audadvnc says:

They were the ones rooting for the Nat’l Guard at Kent State.

• jdmn17 says:

OK, now on HP I’d have fanned you. No shit. And to be honest with you, I had never thought of that. I’m sure there were people cheering on the Guard that day. Holy Shit, that definitely puts things in perspective. Our generation got more fractured than Humpty Dumpty.

Some times I think this one is headed the same way with a shitload more issues

• KillgoreTrout says:

It has been reported, by many people, that after the shootings, Gov. Rhodes exclaimed..”What, we only bagged four of them?”
              Many younger people today don’t realize just how close this country came to having a violent revolution.

• intotheabyss says:

A picture is still worth a thousand words.

• Truth says:

intotheabyss: I hate to admit it, but I think your theory may be very close to the truth. Actually, I would like to find out her hidden agenda -- you know, the fact that she’s a respected member of a very shady mind cotrol cult, quite similar to scientology, but with a (unknown) religious slant leaves me wondering what this was all about. Or was it just for political, money and power reasons?
      In any case, the truth should be known. I don’t think she should be allowed to pull a Palin and get away with the most outrageous and immoral behavior without even been called out for her behavior. The silence of the media is once more deafening!
      To think we were not even allowed as much as to type “Arianna” leaves me speechless and shuddering.

intotheabyss, are you on board in participating to find out more and put together an article in collaboration with us?

• Marion says:

Quite simply: She’s a ratfucker. The goal was to infiltrate the Left and divide and conquer. More than anyone, she started and drove a wedge in the Left. Look how many, from her cue, took to criticizing the President’s every move, word and thought, including people in the so-called Leftwing media -- Olbermann, Schultz et al -- at her bidding and gidding. So many people wasted TWO years unduly criticizing one of our own, when we could have been fighting the lies of the Right. But we created lies of our own -- Obama’s weak, Obama hasn’t accomplished anything, Obama’s just like Bush … BILL MAHER, anyone?

• KillgoreTrout says:

I have always been against irrational Obama bashing and the use of lies and half truths to justify it. That being said, we must always question authority. WHEN the need arises. The day we stop holding our leaders’ feet to the fire, is the day we lose our self respect, and possibly a whole lot more.

• Abbyrose86 says:

I tend to agree with your assessment.

I was disgusted when I saw it transforming in front of my eyes. I kept arguing on HP about just that, something was fishy.

• intotheabyss says:

I’ll admit that I’ve not been happy with Obama because of his unwillingness to prosecute the crimes of the Bush Administration which have been so harmful to this country, not to mention all the people who’s lives were destroyed by the boy king and his evil sidekick. His DOJ has also been a huge disappointment. I could go into greater detail, but that’s another post.

What I posted frequently at HP and still believe is there are forces at work that remain hidden from the public that Obama has to be wary of. They have caused much suffering in the world and have no compunctions about doing what ever they believe is necessary to achieve their goals. It’s not clear how much power he really has to go against their agenda. A lot of people find that assertion too conspiratorial. As I posted above, that’s me. I believe there are conspirators in this world who are very powerful who need to be exposed. So I try to steer clear of bashing Obama and concentrate more on bashing our overlords in general instead.

• audadvnc says:

Sure there’s the Giant Right Wing Conspiracy. But they’re just different teams in the PTB Globalist League, like the New Jersey Mafia wars of the 1970’s. No matter who won, the folks in their domains still had to pay the Don.

Steer clear of Obama bashing? IMO, that’s irresponsible fandom in the extreme.

• Truth says:

Intotheabyss, for example C-Street and the Pentagon are quite real forces. They raised hell to not get out of Afghanistan. Wall Street is powerful too. And so on. So yes, better to get behind the President and get done as much as is possible. It won’t get any better with a rethug.

• Abbyrose86 says:

I too believe there are conspirators out there….I think it would be naive to think some things are not by design.

• eileenleft says:

Yes yes yes! “Her goal was to infiltrate the left..” Exactly. And I do not think she acted alone.
          I think she would sell out her own children for a buck. She has proved herself to be totally without morals and ethics.
          I saw all of this divide and conquer stuff happening almost from the beginning in 2009, and felt helpless in stopping it! I can remember sending an email to Jason L. commenting on the lack of facts and reason in an article that he wrote, and I received the nastiest, ugliest reply you could imagine. I was banned multiple times for pointing out editorial hipocrisy. Her narrative was everywhere on the “left,” MSNBC, DKOS, CNN, Bill Mayer. To hear Prof. West spout some of her talking points on NPR makes my blood BOIL.

I totally despise her.

• Truth says:

eileenleft: I meant to reply to you much earlier, but got somehow distracted. Sorry! If you want to join us in this series it would be great. If you still have the ugly email that you received we could just compare it with the things that were “taught” in Arianna’s cult, that is, how they cripple people to hold them down. (At least 15 banned words in this short paragraph, for example…)

You are brave that you even wrote to JL! I let myself muzzle much earlier. However, once I got a stern warning when I tried to make other posters write to HP to get someone un-banned.

• Truth says:

I SOOOOOO agree with what you’re saying, Marion. This is exactly my gut feeling. But do we have anything more than our gut feelings to back it up? This is exactly the thing that I’m looking for in this thread: to get more background info and/or people who want to join to get a grip on this issue. Therefore I would like to ask you, if you want to join our collaborative thread?

• Marion says:

Hey, I’m in.

• Truth says:

Wow! Marion! What a relief! Deygirl started this off so fast, I was not even properly prepared. But if we can join forces it’s better anyway. Where do I find your blogs? Media/Huffington section?

• intotheabyss says:

Truth: Yes, I am on board to participate in putting together an article. I’m not much of a computer geek so you may have to walk me through some simple tasks at first. I drive my techie sons crazy asking for guidance, but I like to write so hopefully that makes up for the technological disability.

Talk about banned words at HP. One of my last attempts at posting was to refer to the members of the US Chamber as pigs, which may not sound polite, but as I pointed out, the title of one of Arianna’s books is “Pigs at the Trough” which was about those same people. Since the word pig is apparently banned, you can’t even mention her highness’ book without being modded off.

• deygirl says:

During the healthcare debate, one of the banned words was “sick.”

Hmmmmm…..wonder where she stood on THAT issue?

(And where in the hell did the page go while I was typing that?????)

• Truth says:

Intotheabyss: cool! I’m new here too, so we’re going to need all the help we can get. PW is an excellent teacher and could also help get us neatly organized….
          I’m just now digging the internet and found some more great stuff, will post it above soon. What is it what you want to write about? Just choose one or more subjects, and let me and deygirl know, in order for us to share the work. I came up with a fine title too…. but let’s wait until deygirl is back. Maybe we should share the email addresses in order to be able to contact each other, but the admins should do that so we don’t need to publish them. Let’s see how we can do that.

• deygirl says:

I think adlib could fix something up for us… a fake addy that directs to a real one.

• Truth says:

Deygirl, that would be great if AdLib could settle the email issue.

And wow, look at the dynamic that has already developed. I started out asking you, how to proceed…….. so my posts to you are already almost outdated.
              Several people already want to join. If we can put something together and draw attention to Jon Stewart, Colbert and more, it would be good. Also, there are many disgruntled ex-Huff-bloggers.

Anyhow, how do you think should we proceed now? I’ve got an excellent name for the series too….

That’s about the size of it intotheabyss, we are thankful that we got out of there earlier than most, still, even then,it was a slap in the face.

Welcome to The Planet, I’m usually sleeping when everyone wakes up to post.

25. Wiseronenow says:

I think there would have been as much of an exodus from HP with or without her buyout from AOL. It was a long time comin. The tenor of the comments along with the over modification was starting to wear on lots of folks. One could also see it with the level of reporting. Then Arianna began her quest to denounce Obama every chance she got whether in print or on talk shows. Recall, back during the Clinton years, she was one of the first to actually have a website to encourage impeaching him. Why do you think there is rarely if ever a positive story on Hillary? But, regardless, HP will be a force in the media and how it is reported. One must just have a more discerning take on whatever she spews.

• jkkFL says:

There seemed to be a mid-course direction all at once, and it came before the sale was announced.
      I remember opening it one morning and thinking ‘What the hell is going on?’
      It was like I fell down the rabbit hole!

• jdmn17 says:

I was pretty much done on Sunday night, the comments were being squeezed into the abyss and late that night the whole issue with David Penner being banned was the final nail in the coffin. The announcement and exodus the next morning of some of my favorite posters, two of whom left a forwarding address sent me on my way.

I can contribute but as a relatively unknown poster over there perhaps my words will speak more the average Joe than a super poster, moderator, etc.

I’ll give what I can.

26. Itchybiscuit says:

I joined HP in 2008 as I wanted to discover what would come next after so many years of ‘the decider’. To begin with it was informative and relatively uncensored. I turned in my badges within 2 hours of them appearing and just knew that ‘change’ was in the air. Then came the relentless focus on all things celebrity and my heart sank -- the salacious headlines and sports terminology left me cold, even on the ‘political’ threads. Still, I had lots of friends there and lots of posts by commenters I admired so I decided to hang on as long as possible in the forlorn hope it would improve -- we know how THAT went. On the day the buyout was announced, I deleted my account and through friends, discovered PPOV. I truly hope I can find a ‘home’ here. Thanks for allowing me the space to mini-rant, I appreciate it.

27. JMBrodie says:

I will always regard HP as the vehicle that brought me into this collaborative community. I was there since 2008, and found a collection of people, voices, that made me feel less alone on the planet. I will always remember HP fondly for that. I am looking forward to what we can do here…

• Truth says:

JMBrodie: I give Arianna credit for having brought us, a very fine poster community together, but sadly she did so for the wrong reasons. She did rile us up against the right and then each other, and this is something I won’t forget and which brought deep damage about. As Marion pointed out above, the whole Obama bashing practically started on Huffington Post! Arianna, who never could be criticized, not even mildly, criticized the President RELENTLESSLY from the day he was in office. She NEVER had his back. She profited big time from the election and right after she stabbed him in the back. For someone like that I don’t have fond memories. She stabbed our backs exactly the same way. In spite of that, I appreciate that one single good thing she did for us.

And the fact that we can gather here immediately is solely the work of the creators of The Planet. To them, I am deeply grateful. Here is, where my loyalty is.

• jdmn17 says:

The stories got to be just so much bullshit I often went down to the comments first, look for my favorite folks (most here now) and then come to a conclusion. They were more willing than I to read the post and do the research to disprove it. That’s the first thing I noticed about PPV. The comments were fabulous and often expanded on the original and excellent blogs. That was one of the first things I had to learn to do, read the lead story before commenting. I know that sounds lazy but after a misleading headline, a dubious first or second paragraph and a final part of the story that often completely refuted the previous parts of the story I found the story really was moot. Here, “wow” is all I can say about the quality of the bloggers here. I’m a long way from ever sticking my toe into that pool

• Truth says:

We all bring our own special gifts to the table, jd.

Truth

And we are all appreciated for it too.

I always joke that I get invited to lots of parties because I hand make “designer” breads. My friends always tell me “no way” but if I leave the bread bag in the car while I carry things in I can detect a trace of fear and disappointment 🙂

• deygirl says:

Fanned, faved, and cosigned. 😉

• liberallioness76 says:

Ha, deygirl! Is it wrong of me to miss the fanning thing just a little? My goal was to reach 1000, I almost made it too. 😀

• deygirl says:

Faving was a great way to give a quick pat on the back, wasn’t it?

• jdmn17 says:

Isn’t that what the rating button is for?

As for fans. It was ironic, the less I cared about the number the more I got. One thing about the fan button was I saw pretty fast the extent of the departures that Monday. I was posting and going into pending. Like every time I posted my fan count went down. It was a strange dynamic I’d never seen before

• Abbyrose86 says:

Indeed it was….I always liked that it was an easy way to say HEY excellent comment! 🙂

• liberallioness76 says:

deygirl -- I thought of it more as the “I like/agree with what you wrote and how you wrote it but I don’t feel the need to add my own two cents” button. Planet has the thumbs up/down buttons for that, which I appreciate(I don’t ever see myself using the down button though).

• Buddy McCue says:

Fanned & Favorited.

• jdmn17 says:

As opposed to the simple f u.

I wrote one guy back who said that to me and complained I didn’t see my fan or favorite numbers go up. I think he flagged me because the whole thread was dumped.

• liberallioness76 says:

Ooooh, yeah… sweet, sweet validation… that’s the stuff.

LMAO!

• Redemption Song II says:

Hear, hear.

• Buddy McCue says:

I admire your positive attitude.

It’s a real reminder for me to try to see the good in things, instead of getting hung up on the negative aspects.