bito On October - 1 - 2010

During the day, do you read a story and you feel it is worth sharing?  Where to place it? I don’t like to disrupt someone’s thread or thoughtful post and it is not worthy of posting a lengthy article, do you?  Let’s try to leave this up in speakers corner and we can share some news!

From the Afghan  Women’s Writing Project

Colorful Days after Black Nights”

I remember the Taliban were searching houses ten times a day with different groups to find a book, cassette, picture, TV, or video game. If they found any of these, they shot the whole family. After we returned home, my mom burned books that my older sister and brother had collected over many years. She burned most of the books in our mud-brick oven, then threw the rest away in sacks very far from the house so the Taliban would not know they were ours. My heart was broken and I was at a loss……

I wove carpets for four years and forgot everything about studying or getting an education. We were stuck at home, and never allowed to go outside. When the Taliban were removed from power in Afghanistan after almost five years, most of the schools eventually reopened. My siblings returned to school, but I did not, because I was so afraid of everyone, still thinking that Taliban were close.

Read More…..

Related articles
Categories: Time Out for OT

Written by bito

Was once a handsome frog until kissed by an ugly corporate princess.----- Like a well honed knife, the internet can be a wonderful and useful tool. It can be used to prepare and serve a delicious meal or it can be used to cause harm. peace

1,676 Responses so far.

1. Haruko Haruhara says:

This is just a test.

Pepe messed up my avatar by trying to start a WordPress blog.

2. bitohistory says:

One way to deal with a problem?

Two professors who teach an introductory engineering course in chemistry jointly adopted a policy by posting it on the courses’ Blackboard sites. The professors vowed to make tests more difficult, to encourage students to pay attention. And the professors said that after three warnings about disruptions such as cell phone discussions and movies playing on laptops, the professors would walk out of class — and students would have to learn the rest of that day’s material themselves.

That will teach them--Or not! 🙂

Profs Leave Unruly Classes?

So many toys to provide distraction, and so little time to teach.

One of my friends, who teaches film history classes, says that texting is a huge problem in her classes. Heads are down and thumbs are busily flying as she delivers a lecture that she’s worked hours on. The kids insist that they can multi-task. But she said that their exam essays say otherwise.

I can understand the prof’s frustration and willingness to walk out on a class that seems to be sending the “who cares?” message, but I do feel sorry for the kids who are there to learn.

It would be nice of the prof to invite them to an empty classroom and start over with an attentive group. And the texters/tweeters/chatters/movie watchers might not even notice that the prof and half the students had left the room! 😀

• bitohistory says:

The comments from the professors were all pretty much against it. I didn’t think it was a problem in college, after all they are there by choice AND paying for the class. I did walk out on a class once, the prof was high as a kite.
        Heard later he “asked to leave the school.” Seems he was making a habit of his habit.

3. bitohistory says:

Thus is a progressive plan to reducing the debt without raising taxes on the middle class nor reducing Social Security as opposed to the regressive Bowles-Simpson “plan,” which should be DOA, but won’t. I wonder if this plan will even get any publicity?

4. Mightywoof says:

I’m afraid the conversation in Marion’s latest thread about the 7 mountain goats -- ummmmm, that wasn’t right -- the 7 whatevers 😆 has left me feeling very depressed. But then a friend sent me this -- if you’re up for one more flash mob doing their thing (and you love Handel’s Halleluja Chorus from the Messiah) then listen to this

From a food court somewhere in Welland, Ontario

5. bitohistory says:

Would some one buy this man a clue? A dump truck load of clues. This is ignorance at it’s best.

BARNICLE: What about the fact that unemployment benefits pumped into the economy are an immediate benefit to the economy? Immediate…

SHADEGG: No, they’re not! Unemployed people hire people? Really? I didn’t know that.

BARNICLE: Unemployed people spend money Congressman, ’cause they have no money.

SHADEGG: Aha! So your answer is it’s the spending of money that drives the economy and I don’t think that’s right. It’s the creation of jobs that drives the economy…Actually, the truth is the unemployed will spend as little of that money as they possibly can. Job creators create jobs.

BARNICLE: Have you ever been unemployed? Have you ever been unemployed?

SHADEGG: Yes, I have.

BARNICLE: What did you do with the money? Save it?

Mike Barnacle was speechless.
    Rep. Shadegg Scoffs At The Fact That Jobless Benefits Are A Benefit To The Economy: ‘No, They’re Not!’

The only good words spoken by Shadegg in this interview were “I’ll be unemployed in 32 days.” At the risk of being a Grinch, my Christmas wish for him is: long may that unemployment last.

• bitohistory says:

The reason he didn’t run for reelection was he was/is under investigation for doing some funny things with money transactions. I don’t remember the whole story.
        Amazing how people get on TV and prove their complete ignorance--and think nothing of it.

“The masses” are supposed to work hard for their money and extending unemployment benefits would be damaging to their character.

But delicate souls like Shadegg apparently are too frail to work and must resort to funny things to keep themselves housed and fed? 🙄

O/T on O/T But did you catch the last part of Keith Olbermann tonight and the discussion on the revision of the history of secession in the south? Clarence Page was the guest — good comments on the importance of teaching real history, not some special interest’s agenda.

• bitohistory says:

k’es, I need to see the replay, just as it came on my brother HAD to start asking me something unimportant. He has a knack for that! (someone should do a post on that 😉 )

😆 😆 😆

Have I ever been there!

Not lately (my son is very cool about such things and I do try to give him plenty of space), but in the past.

I have to laugh out loud, though. That frustration is so familiar. If Boehner were on TV blubbering away, no one would ever interrupt!!
              But let it be something interesting…!

Why does the phone always ring during Vox Pop, too? Does anyone ever want to reach out and touch me during the rest of the week? Nooooooooo.

6. bitohistory says:

It’s Tuesday, what does that mean? A new issue of Remapping Debate, right?

Remapping Debate does not publish on the Tuesday after Thanksgiving, but we’ll be back on Tuesday, December 7th.

🙁

Dear People of Kentucky,

We just had an election. Why, why, why did you elect Rand Paul when this is going on?

• bitohistory says:

Dear, Buffy,
      You know during these times we all have to make some sacrifices.
      Oh, Wait! I don’t!
      Biff

Quick! Quick!

Biff! My Benadryl! That word…that horrible word…it makes me break out in an itchy rash!!

The “s” word! Too horrible.

Biff, promise me that will never happen to us.

Tell me we’ll never have to s—-fice anything, ever.

My smelling salts, please… Where is that %$&*@$ Sri Lankan maid I bought last week?

Nothing incredibly surprising here:

The Wikileaks U.S. Embassy Cables: A State-by-State Regional View on Iran

Despite de Posada voicing support, perhaps a good idea?! -- with or without the politics!

Latino leaders swirl around idea of Tequila Party

I skipped to my favorite page, although it’s worth noting that Obama was #3:

The FP Top 100 Global Thinkers

Oh, and the local news is doing their newscast from the Pioneer Courthouse Square, not their studio. Portland isn’t a tiny town, but this is about as big as it gets for a local news story minus the Rose Festival -- and since most of you are probably unfamiliar with Portland, it is the heart of downtown (both geographically and culturally) and any local -- or native, like me -- likely has many memories associated with it.

But, to a positive story to come out of this:

Corvallis mosque hit by arson fire receives outpouring of community support

Was reading this in the waiting room today:

Can Obama fight the GOP’s blame game?

By E.J. Dionne Jr.
    Monday, November 29, 2010

A terrific article, Khirad. Paul Krugman wrote along similar lines recently. He observed that this consistently mindless, knee-jerk obstructionism on the part of the Republicans was rapidly making the country completely ungovernable.

Krugman, I believe, is not a pessimist by nature, but I sense he feels that things are seriously unraveling on several major fronts and the time remaining to come to grips with it is dwindling.

b’ito, I think it was you who asked, earlier, why Assange didn’t target the big, fraudulent banking system in his campaign of leakage.
    Apparently, he was reading the Planet.

Early next year, Julian Assange says, a major American bank will suddenly find itself turned inside out. Tens of thousands of its internal documents will be exposed on Wikileaks.org with no polite requests for executives’ response or other forewarnings. The data dump will lay bare the finance firm’s secrets on the Web for every customer, every competitor, every regulator to examine and pass judgment on.

From a Forbes magazine interview.

I’ve been debating the wisdom of the stuff he’s leaked so far… although, the redacting is a nice touch. A tad late, but eased my qualms considerably.

But, please, this would make so much more sense. This is who really needs to be leaked. We can’t request even an FOI Act for these guys.

• bitohistory says:

And will it be received by the press with same banner headlines and brouhaha or buried n page 12? Hmmmmm.

Everyone reads The Planet, if they know better. Wees gots some peeples with dem thoze smarts, ya betcha, fer shure!
      YGM, I think. 🙂

11. bitohistory says:

From KO: Fux reports story as fact!! It was from the Onion. 😆 I need to find a link.

😆 Once again proving the RWers have no sense of humor and wouldn’t recognize irony if someone dropped an anvil on their heads!

The only thing they find funny is denying people health care and unemployment benefits. To them I say, through my spokesperson, the highly tactful Rahmbo:

[img]http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT1b5iROOm5GiwPZA6IcZjjaV0MI0kNOeW7EzTjpzFrgpnqk-v10g[/img]

12. boomer1949 says:

Oh my goodness and here I thought it was Friday!

Dear me, I went off on a Facebook Tangent (my daughter will be sooo embarrassed), yet…I couldn’t help myself.

The only way to get the message across and into the thick skulls of these bigots is to NOT let up, we must keep reminding ourselves and others that their agenda has absolutely nothing to do with making this country better for all of us.

Yet we must increase the pressure on these Yahoos to produce SOMETHING in the short term, the same as they’ve DEMANDED from the Obama Administration. Period.

They just want to see President Obama fail. Go figure, but it isn’t rocket science either.

Now wouldn’t one think the “majority” party would want to make all things fair and square? Don’t bet on it; it has never been a priority or on their agenda.

The GOP/TP/Flannel-Shirt/Pick-Up Truck/Gun Rack/Bigoted SOBS have been getting off on the prospect of bringing the first African American POTUS to his knees since November 2008.

No time to take a breath or analyze. PRODUCE SPEAKER BOEHNER! PRODUCE!

WHERE ARE THE JOBS?

What are you going to do for the unemployed Tea Partiers you seduced into voting for you. WHAT?

Why are you holding the unemployed hostage to prove the point of your bigotry and to get this administration to cave to your “demands.” Sorry John Boy, but you really don’t like the fact that an African American is living in the White House…now do you? BTW…JB…I live in OH-IO. And, don’t become complacent…many of us see you for what y’all are; bigots and racists. John Boy, you remind me of a long deceased Uncle. You JB, are as much of an asshole as he was when I was 11 and that was 50 years ago.

None of these “white guys” (okay I realize John Boy has issues) could give a rat’s ass about anyone other than themselves and the corporations padding their wallets; oh, and some lobbyist MUST be paying for John Boy’s trips to the tanning bed, his Jergen’s Bronzer or, at the very least his propensity to enjoy Happy Hour on a daily basis.

Very disconcerting that there are Ohioans who can not even put food on the table much less have a Jack Daniels on the rocks, a straight up Martini, or freaking Bud Light because THEY CAN’T AFFORD IT!!! Yet, John seems to be able to…what’s wrong with this picture?

And…none of these Republican White Guys are happy. Why? Think about it. An African American family is living in “their White House.” Give me a freaking break and get a clue folks.

What can I say? Way beyond annoying (and as I stated before, the daughter will be totally embarrassed). So be it. I refuse to have my tax dollars pay for a freaking faux tan and the health care benefits of a BIGOT and someone who wants to deny the same for any other Ohioan or American Citizen.

John and his “compatriots” need to be called to task, not given any breathing room, and should be able to produce ON DEMAND by God, ON DEMAND!! Fix it John Boy, fix it!!

Yet, today? He admitted he/they probably wouldn’t be able to. Jeeze, what a fucking surprise!

boomer, your daughter should be — and I’m sure is — very proud of having a mom who feels passionately about what’s happening in the world and about fighting bigotry and injustice when she sees it.

After all, you are the mom who raised a daughter who cares a lot about little kids and making sure they get the best possible start in their educational careers. That would have to make you a pretty good mom…and citizen.

😀

• boomer1949 says:

Thank you kes, thank you. It just seems so simple, but “they” make it so darn complicated. Why are some humans so selfish?

And…somehow I just can’t picture Boehner, Cantor, or McConnell purchasing clothing for a family whose home burned to the ground a couple of weeks ago. Yet, this is what my “overpaid, teacher daughter” did last weekend. And, not because I’m looking for kudos, I did the same. Did I have the extra 50 bucks to spare? No, but I could not stand by and see little kids without warm clothes, food, or Christmas gifts.

I also wonder how these selfish assholes are able to sleep at night.

We really should refuse to pay for their HC insurance. They should be required to sacrifice the same as what they expect from everyone else. Selfish bastards…are you sure this isn’t Friday? 😆

• AlphaBitch says:

Aw, boomer! What gals! That warms my heart, and I’m sure it warms their hearts, hands, toes, etc. How sweet.

there is a saying in the Qur’an -- which I will paraphrase here, although I know it’s a no-no to do so with Muslims (but hey! I’m a Christian) -- that goes something like:

If God had wanted, He would have made us all the same. But He didn’t, so that we could compete with each other for good works.

You won.

• bitohistory says:

Sacrifice, sacrifice? That’s just for the little people, boomer.
          ( I have to put a rose and thorn into a locally owned grocery store, Bashas’. A family down the street lost heir house to fire. I asked for many donations in the the community businesses and they quickly wrote a check. I went to Wal-Mart and they gave me the corporate address and told me to wait 6-8 weeks.)
          Thank You, boomer.

boomer…I’m at a loss for words. (Unusual for me.)

You and your daughter! What generosity. And I know that you’ve mentioned that your son-in-law is still looking for work…so obviously, they are not rolling in cash.

You are doing the Lord’s work.

Our church is having a benefit dinner on December 10 for our (rockin’) music director, who needs to have an MRI to find out the cause of her hand tremors (always a problem in a musician). She must have $750 with her when she goes for the test, or they will not do it. (A charitable group is picking up the rest of the fee, beyond the $750.)

THANK YOU, REPUBLICANS AND T-BAGS!! For making life so hard for so many good people.

👿

• bitohistory says:

Great comment,boomer. Ohio is a microcosm of the macrocosm of what is so wrong with the plight of the working family. There have been so many of what was known as the middle class hurt in your state than many others. They have been hit by loss of manufacturing, the housing industry and have been bamboozled by the finance sheisters. And then to get saddled by the designate speaker, who has no recognition of his own states plight, is unfair.

• boomer1949 says:

Thanks bito,

I think what bothers me most is “they” think we’re all stoopid; it’s infuriating, absolutely infuriating.

It makes my head spin!

Boehner is a bigot, an opportunist, and only interested in advancing his sorry white ass (obviously never been to the tanning bed) political career; never mind he’s been in DC for 20+ years. Ex squeeze me?

It’s not like he is one of the “newbies” on the block. He’s obviously been around said block enough times to know how to manipulate it and the system; truth be known, he has contributed to the current state of affairs, the current economy and, more important, our image. Boehner is a piss-poor-representative for what we’re supposed to be about.

He is selfish, opportunistic, and as I said somewhere earlier, reminds me of two people in my life…my alcoholic father and an Uncle who was a bigot, who stole from every company he ever worked for, who everyone in the family despised, yet when he died, everyone (‘cept me) acted like he was a Saint.

I refused to go his funeral, and was admonished for the decision; my father HATED the man, yet because I refused to be a hypocrite, I wound up the black sheep. Pretty disgusting. Can we spell dysfunctional?

Nevertheless, Boehner, Cantor, & McConnell haven’t fooled me. Some of us have been around the block just as many times and can spot a fake faster than they can blink.

Now, please tell me how we can explain it to those more easily seduced?

13. bitohistory says:

k’es, My mail sever is down. The European hackers at work! 🙂 The last time this happen was during the street demonstrations in France. This time Ireland??

(fun, I am getting mail, but I can’t read them or send replies. LOL)

Thanks for letting me know, b’ito. Mine has been a little glitchy too, and I humbly apologize to anyone who emailed me over Thanksgiving, because I’m not sure all of them came through. Please know that I’m not ignoring you, and you just need to “email thump” me in the noggin to let me know if you sent me something and I haven’t responded.

I blame Ireland.

• boomer1949 says:

kes,

You’re too funny! Are you sure you’re not appearing at the Funny Bone disguised as an R.N.? 😆

I only work the Funny Bones when I float over to the orthopedic unit, boomer. Which, fortunately for them, is not too often.

Oh, and I meant to tell you above that when it comes to embarrassing our daughters with facebook posts, I think I have you beat. You may remember a few weeks ago I posted here when my cat attacked and bit my foot? Well, he struck again today. And, knowing how hard he can bite, I turned tail and ran, screaming in terror, from his 12 pounds of fury.

So guess which target he was facing when he went on the toothy attack…? Yup, he bit my shapely (?) left gluteus max. That was worth a facebook post, I thought.

Apparently I was wrong.

😆 😆

• AlphaBitch says:

Kes -- that should have been posted on “foot book” or the most recent episode on -- yep, you guessed it -- “butt book”. Silly girl!

I’ve worked in vet clinics for years. Sometimes the behavior can signal epileptic attacks. I once had a friend with a LARGE MEAN black cat named “Ebony”, called “Ebon”. When I would go visit, Ebon would sometimes stalk me and bite the crap out of me (hey! I’m a cat person. This should NOT happen)

Once I noticed Ebon nowhere to be found. When I asked, they told me he had been sent to “appreciation school”. Seems when he acted out, he was banished to the garage for a few days. My friends were devout Christian Scientists. I always suspected Ebon had epilepsy, but they were not the sort to acknowledge it if so. I have used appreciation school for others -- errant husbands and stubborn students (but only in a figurative or threatening sense, never actually). Perhaps this bad boy should get a little degree from the school?????

AB, thanks for the tip on the epilepsy possibility. I’ll keep that in mind, but I suspect this Bad Boy actually has some “cat-logic” behind his attacks. This has happened twice and both times were when I wouldn’t let him go outside to fight with the locals. It’s retaliation for my refusal to let him have his way.

This morning I made sure he was locked in the bedroom before I went out to get the paper. Worked pretty well! I had to do something.

After all, I’m running out of bandaids!

14. bitohistory says:

This guy on the “debt/deficit commission” from Honeywell is pissing me off. Governments are not a bottom line- profit driven entity. What’s his plan, layoff (cut all social services) so the Government can show a “profit?”

15. bitohistory says:

“I shall never be a heretic; I may err in dispute, but I do not wish to decide anything finally; on the other hand, I am not bound by the opinions of men.”

Whew. So, went to visit grandma in hospital, and we’ve pretty much got the whole family there Saturday. She was to go in for an angiogram (I think). After this, well, she’d be ready to go home they all said.

Then, after, where the ‘procedure had gone really well’ we find out from the doctor that her heart is really healthy, she’s really sharp, this is great, that is great, but her arteries to the hear, yeah, those are shot 6-12 months to live until a catastrophic heart attack.

Well, this was a bit of a shock.

So, they gave us a choice, go home eventually and accept death, with increasing immobility (she went in ’cause she couldn’t breathe or walk -- and ended up having nothing to do with legs or lungs), or get a quadruple bypass surgery.

It was a pretty duh-worthy decision, but we had a big family meeting about it anyway, even got the pastor to come down. We were worried at first we might have to convince her to get it, if she thought she was being a burden.

But, thankfully, insurance isn’t an issue whatsoever. In any case I’ve spent practically the last two days in the Kaiser Permanente hospital here. Tomorrow, she has surgery and it’ll be another day at the hospital. It will also be my birthday. Yesterday was my mom’s, when we found out.

Funny story. We were looking at this hot sports car, and this woman comes walking towards us says “can I help you” (in a tone that conveyed: “what the fuck do you think you’re doing near my car?!”). We joked about it being some doctors wife, then my dad said, just wait -- that’ll be the anesthesiologist — who comes in at 8 PM to rundown questions for the sedation? The woman with the little red sports car!

It’s one of those times you’re glad you didn’t shoot back your mouth with something like, “sure you got that car not to get noticed” or some such thing.

So, having been in the hospital the last two days and airports the day before, I have been in a news vacuum, haven’t even found a up-to-date magazine or newspaper lying around in the hospital.

A local story here which has broken through that bubble is the Pioneer Courthouse Square attempted bombing. Has that gone national? Would be freaky if it had. Like, I come up to Portland, and, bam!

• PepeLepew says:

Yeah, the Pioneer Square thing did go national … and the guy was from Corvallis, a town where I once lived.

So sorry for what you are going through during the holidays. I have a mom with COPD and she wasn’t doing well at Thanksgiving. It could be weeks, it could be months, it could be another couple of years. You just don’t know.

We came back to Montana and I had a letter from the Canadian consulate waiting for me. It’s official. I am a Canadian citizen.

That’s freaky, I come up here and wow, this happens. Or not really, more like: angry kid gets strung along, nothing was ever gonna happen -- but that’s not really a headline, now is it?

Of all places, Portland? Like, seriously dude?

And then, the mosque near the OSU campus there gets attacked. The Portland police are being super cool warning all the mosques in Portland hand helping them out over any concerns over reprisals. Also, the front page of the Oregonian included at least three Muslim groups denouncing this (where are the moderate Muslims?).

Congratulations on your citizenship!

Pepe, so sorry to hear that your mom is dealing with COPD. Folks who have never seen this condition at its worst can hardly imagine how difficult it is.

On the other hand — on the Canadian citizenship thing?

Luckeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! (a la Napoleon Dynamite)

• bitohistory says:

Now get oot of MY country! 😆 😆 😆
        congratulations, Pepe, But watch out for their HC, S’arah said it’s deadly.

Thanks for keeping us posted, Khirad. Prayers will be with you, your grandma and the whole family.

It sounds as if the docs were urging your grandma (and the family) to go ahead with the surgery — using code words, of course. All the “this system is really healthy and that system is really healthy” means “we think she has a good chance to make it through this,” of course.

When my mom faced this decision years ago, they were very blunt. The docs said; “If we could even give her 50-50 odds of getting through the surgery we would encourage it, but we can’t.” She faced the same prognosis without surgery that your grandma did. She opted for the surgery, did make it through and had 14 more years after that. Got to see her two other grandchildren being born, thanks to that surgery.

Not exactly ideal conditions under which to celebrate birthdays, unfortunately… 🙁 But prayers will be that you have much to celebrate in general. We’ll be thinking of you.

The “Christmas Tree Bomber” in Portland did indeed make the national news, Khirad. It was all over the place. Apparently a 19 year old kid “on a mission.” I’m afraid his life is ruined at this point.

On a more upbeat note: are you sure your dad isn’t a psychic? Excellent guess that the sports car owner would be the anesthesiologist! Of course, now that HCR is underway, I’m sure she’ll have to trade that in for a 1985 Horizon — or so the T-Party would have it.

BTW…your grandma is lucky to have a grandson like you.

Sounds like your situation was way, way more tense, kes. We were dealing with 5% a complication would happen, and now she’s given five more years after today’s success. I still can’t deal with the specifics. I suppose one day in the future I may have to eventually, but until then, I can’t even handle it when a nurse is handing another a blood pouch like it were an invoice. You guys do the Lord’s work, because, as I believe I’ve said before -- I so don’t have the constitution for it. But yes, we’ve now learned to decode surgeon talk. 🙂

She’s really close to my cousin, and hopes to see her get her doctorate in pharmacy in two years when she graduates. She’s not getting a grandchild from me, but, I need to go back to school anyway and she’d probably like to see that.

Maybe I’ll tell her she had Catholic help pulling her through with you and Kalima in addition to all our churches. 😉

We RCs do have those highly potent 100% beeswax candles going for us, Khirad! 🙂 They get the job done.

I’m relieved to hear that things went well today. I hope you’ll have a chance to get some rest yourself. Well, the whole family, really. Sometimes you don’t even realize how exhausting all of this is until it’s over. But you do need to conserve your strength. You’ll need it later; and she may need you later to lean on a bit.

Bags of blood don’t bother me, but there are other things that people do that I could never in this lifetime see myself doing, like teaching 7th graders! Thank God we humans come in so many varieties. Somebody up there was thinking ahead.

Grandparents and kids have a special bond (some joke that it’s because they have a common enemy), so while I imagine your grandma would be happy to see you go back to school, she’s gonna love you no matter what you do. Who could not?

Please keep posting!

Yes guys, last two nights I’ve just dropped out cold upon hitting the bed. (and I usually take some time to get to sleep) Tonight with the good news I have a couple hours to catch up — although, it’s gonna take days to catch up on the WikiLeaks dump. If only there were WiFi in the hospital… it’s very modern and new in every other regard. 🙁

• bitohistory says:

Excuse me, Nurse k’es, But yes , Khirad, those ‘bag ‘o blood thingys” freaked me out. And k’es is so right about getting your rest and eating properly. You will not believe how draining it can be until when you have time to really rest. Please, take care of yourself while taking care of others.

So sorry to hear the news about your grandmother’s condition, but encouraged to hear about her operation. You, your grandmother and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

It might not be the best birthday you will ever have, then again it could be. Happy Birthday Khirad, and my best to all of you.

It was just fine by me not to be the focus or acknowledge another year gone. No loss here. It was quite nice to think about someone else, actually.

I’m not selfless, but really, her surgery was more important than my birthday, and I didn’t really want to acknowledge I was a year older anyway. 😛

Thanks for your well wishes and your pure beeswax candles. (Kes assures me this is the secret to RC’s success in petitioning the Lord. 😉 )

Birthdays are no longer a joy for me either, not being able to throw a party like we used to, and dear friends moving back home, put a damper on things years ago, I no longer pine for them.

I’m sure that having you there with her meant the world to your grandmother, she will remember it always I think. Grandmothers are special, I still think often of my Oma, and miss her with all my heart.

You can still celebrate your birthday later, we tend to celebrate everything late here because hubby is often out of town, it’s neither here or there for me now.

My candles are very old, my father sent almost a box full from our little Catholic Church donkey’s years ago and yes I agree with kes, they often do work in mysterious ways.

Take and don’t forget to sleep. 🙂

A bit of levity in the midst of grim news on many fronts.

A New Yorker cartoonist’s view of Dubya, reviser of history in his memoirs:

[img][/img]

• bitohistory says:

(shacking head) Ain’t that the truth?

Totally oblivious, right to the end. If I’m not mistaken, the accompanying article is titled: Dead Certain.

It is a good review, isn’t it, Patsy?

Bottom line:

During his years in office, two wars turned into needless disasters, and the freedom agenda created such deep cynicism around the world that the word itself was spoiled. In America, the gap between the rich few and the vast majority widened dramatically, contributing to a historic financial crisis and an ongoing recession; the poisoning of the atmosphere continued unabated; and the Constitution had less and less say over the exercise of executive power. Whatever the judgments of historians, these will remain foregone conclusions.

• PatsyT says:

Excellent point Kes, That book won’t be on my wish list this year. I think your rent money is safe.
              I may want to get a copy of “My Pet Goat”.

I haven’t read the book (not that I ever planned to in the first place 😉 ), but I’d bet the rent money that “My Pet Goat” is better than “Revision Points,” Patsy!

• PatsyT says:

That review is better then the book!

18. bitohistory says:

ABC: THIS WEEK -- Billionaires: Raise our taxes

Billionaire investor Warren Buffett said taxes should probably be cut further for most Americans, but raised for the super-wealthy, such as himself. “I think that people at the high end, people like myself, should be paying a lot more in taxes,” Buffett said. “We have it better than we’ve ever had it.” Microsoft founder Bill Gates said he voted for a failed ballot measure in Washington State to raise taxes on the wealthy. “I voted yes and I was hoping that it would pass,” Gates said. “But that’s done now.” Buffett dismissed the notion that cutting taxes for the wealthy will trickle down through the economy to benefit everyone. “The rich are always going to say that, you know, just give us more money and we’ll go out and spend more and then it will all trickle down to the rest of you,” Buffett said. “But that has not worked the last 10 years, and I hope the American public is catching on.”

Christiane Amanpour did a nice job of interviewing Buffet, Turner and Gates, b’ito. Buffet, especially, was really blunt about cutting through the RW b.s. on trickle-down economics. It’s hard not to like him…even though he has spent a lifetime accumulating mega-bucks, which, in many cases, I personally would consider a waste of a lifetime. 😉