KQµårk 死神 On January - 1 - 2010

Even though I called the Friday music thread “Planet Dance Party” to celebrate the start of 2010, consider this a free form music thread where anything that strikes your fancy goes.

A funny story about the last band Republica.  My wife and I saw them in an alternative club called “The Milk Bar” in Jacksonville.  It was a small crowd because it was during the week and we were within 6 feet of the band and speakers.  I swear our ears were ringing for months.  The lead singer was tiny but she had the biggest ears.  She looked like Minnie Mouse.

Written by KQµårk 死神

My PlanetPOV contact is [email protected] Proud Dem whose favorite hobby is cat herding. The GOP is not a political party, it's a personality disorder. Cancer, Heart Failure and Bush Survivor.

I thought this would be fitting, and I so rarely get to indulge my Bollymania. From Sharaabi (means roughly drunkard in Hindi) -- Inteha ho gayi intezaar ki (remix):

2. Hopeington says:

Here we go now, this one got the whole family up! Love these guys!
    One crazy mo fo. I like the part about Hope money, give it to me…hehheh

3. nellie says:

Clappy New Year

4. boomer1949 says:

Okay,

May I whine? Does no one like my videos? 🙁

5. abby4ever says:

KQ: I hope you didn’t take my last post to you in a wrong way. Sometimes my sense of humour gets me in hot water. I put it in the particular way I did, all to let you know that I appreciate how you watch over us…all of us.

6. nellie says:

Cappy New Year

7. nellie says:

Slappy New Year

8. Tiger99 says:

Might as well kick of the New Year with a big healthy dose of
    “The Man” !!!

9. abby4ever says:

KQ: are you the one that inserted the ABBA song video in my ABBA post? Or does it just happen automatically when the poster doesn’t do it himself, by means of some kind of software installed on this site?

If not and if it was you, thank you very much. If it was not you but someone else, again, my thanks.

abby

• KQuark says:

I got your back Abby. 😉

• Hopeington says:

Hey KQuark, were’d the help desk button go?
        Maybe you should post a footnote on bottom of the Friday Music page to explain how easy it is to embed a video?

• abby4ever says:

Abby’s chest puffs out at this news: one of the founders of this site, has her back. Hardly chickenfeed. What could ever go wrong for her now?

Just horsing around, KQ, I am playful today… and I hope my being so doesn’t paint me as unappreciative.

I need someone at my back because, as you well know, I am always screwing something up.

Anyway, thank you.

Unrelated question: are you still feeling poorly?

• KQuark says:

C’mon abby it’s just KQuark. You knew my moniker when I was in blog diapers.

I’m feeling better after this last discharge. But I still have to do it all over again in little over a week.

• Hopeington says:

KQ, if there’s anyone one here that can relate, it’s me.
            Spent the day at the hospital yesterday, xrays and stitches out follow up. I wanted to add a piece to your hospital survival post about the importance of the other person that should be there with the patient. But I was busy at the hospital, I know that place inside and out!
            I’ve learned a lot about how to advocate for the one that is flat on their back and usually drugged beyond comprehension.
            I’ve fought tooth and nail with Stanford and Lucille Packard and Dominican Hospital so much that sometimes I just walk in and ask them to call the guards now and avoid all the fuss I’m about to perpetrate. They think I’m rude, but sometimes I have to just beat em to it before they get the chance to start.

Anyway, we’re back to it next week twice and then the week after. It’s very strange to love and hate a place so much, I’m so happy my son is alive (you too), but sometimes I just want to rip those little beeping machines right off the wall!
            whoops I went OT!!!!
            Later on this subject.

• KQuark says:

Great point! You NEED a person who is not ill or injured that can be your champion because fighting the system is half the problem. I emphasized the importance of a caregiver but I should have emphasized the importance of a feisty advocate as well. I’m lucky because my wife is both but sometimes you need a few family members or friends to do both jobs.

10. PepeLepew says:

Bees win! 😀

• KQuark says:

What a great game! Figures my wife just picked up Marco Sturm for her fantasy league too. She’s some kind of hockey guru in our fantasy league. She went through a whole year undefeated with only one tie and she is undefeated so far this year. If you play fantasy hockey you know that’s almost impossible.

• PepeLepew says:

I can’t get into fantasy sports. Seems like it takes a lot of energy. I am in a couple of football pools.

• KQuark says:

Being disabled all I have is time. It’s not rocket science either. After you play a year or two and get to know the players they don’t change that much.

11. Scheherazade says:

This isn’t music a video, but it’s too adorable for me not to post. 😉

12. boomer1949 says:

And then there is the Sappy New Year…

13. Hopeington says:

Once again, your resident reggae head has just got to throw in a massive dance tune from the all time favorite
    Bob Marley Iron Lion Zion

Kudos on Republica! As we move into the teens, I still have fond memories of mine in the 90’s. Republica was a part of that. I see them and give you,

Elastica -- Connection

And in the broader New Year’s theme, some Futurepop from my Canadian crush,

Ayria -- Start Again:

15. abby4ever says:

ABBA

Promo, long version, ‘Gimme, Gimme…’

I just love the drum solo in this song, it’s so NOT over the top, so NOT show-offy. Something about it makes me feel kind of drugged.

• KQuark says:

Outstanding. You really can’t talk about great dance songs without mentioning ABBA.

• abby4ever says:

My parents are big ABBA fans, my sisters and brother and myself) grew up listening to ABBA day and night…well, almost. And ABBA is one thing I do agree with my parents about. In my view, they are beyond brilliant. Each song is so different from every other song, and further, there is something about each song that, for the listener, makes it not just a song but a kind of life-changing experience, if I might borrow that expression.

(That expression overdescribes it a little, of course; but I can’t find another one that gets any closer to what I mean, so I let that one suffice. I have to, because what I mean fights language.)

• boomer1949 says:

Movie version, but without the actual movie clip. Still enjoy it anyway, and I’ve watched the movie many, many times:

ps…colin, pierce, and stellan…don’t care the order…but I’d take any (or all at the same time) of them under my wing at any time 🙂 Must be the accents, ahhh.

• abby4ever says:

boomer: my pc won’t let me access this, embedding has been disabled, it says, this by request. Well, it wasn’t me! Nor will it take me to YouTube when I click that .

• Hopeington says:

Hey Abby..just wanted to say i didn’t mean anything derogatory when I called your positive message last night rambling…I REALLY enjoy your writing s. Look forward to more as time goes by!
      And, by the way, if you want the video to appear on the page, just add a v after the http…httpv, like that.
      PS..Hope the pie turned out ok, I make the best crusts!!

• abby4ever says:

Hopeington: thank you so much for inserting the ABBA video and telling me how to it. That’s neat!

And I didn’t think you were saying anything derogatory about my comment, with your use of ‘rambling’. Not at all. I was making a little joke.

Humour aside, I do sometimes tend to ramble, you see. I work on it but progress has been slow.

:]

• Hopeington says:

Cool…ramble away then!! No complaints from me. 🙂
          But it must have been someone else you actually inserted the video…
          and what about the pie???

• abby4ever says:

The pie is just now cooling. Apple, Granny Smith, with a quite buttery crust. Smells nice. About a half a pint of cream on top of a piece, should do it.

(My husband will put custard on his, he is soooooo British.)

You didn’t insert the video for me? Who did? (Whoever did it, my thanks!)

• Hopeington says:

Thanks, I wanted to know what kind of pie I was dreaming of!!
              The custard idea sounds good to me…I like those Brits!
              My son says that sounds like the bomb, custard on any pie, he’ll take it!
              He’s standing behind me laughing, he thinks I’m funny to sit here and talk, but even he is glad I found the Planet and left the other place behind.

16. Hopeington says:

Good day planet people,
    It’s always good to start the day off with a bit of dancing!!
    George Clinton And P Funk doing a little political dance tune
    Paint the White House Black

17. nellie says:

Zappy New Year

18. nellie says:

Snappy New Year

19. TheRarestPatriot says:

..and after this last shitty year,…if I’m personally to change for this new era of mine…well…please allow me to introduce myself….

• KQuark says:

I hope this year will be better for you. Sorry to hear you had such a bad year. Save for some of my chronic health problems I’ve finally had a year where I can exhale. After fighting with the bank for 4 years since I’ve been they finally worked with me on my loan and I have not had to fight for my private disability payments. I can easily say the worst halve dozen days of my life happened during the Bush years.

20. TheRarestPatriot says:

Keeping in theme…Bowie considers some ‘Changes’ as well…

21. TheRarestPatriot says:

I do now and will forever nod my head when I hear this. There is a reverence to this piece. Considering when this was written…our troubles now seem somewhat…subdued. It’s a new year…new hope and new…well….changes….Be the change…I’ll change with you…all.

22. nellie says:

Tappy New Year

• boomer1949 says:

I’ve seen them live. Headaches aside, what they do is extremely difficult, and they’re very, very talented.

• TheRarestPatriot says:

Oye!..The pounding of the war-drum beats, the beauty and airy defiance of gravity, the building of adrenaline…the rush of thunder in the veins and a sweet bonnie lass to fight for!…I am so proud of my heritage…

23. nellie says:

Rappy New Year

• boomer1949 says:

nellie,

I can’t believe they were permitted to do this — must be the ultimate message — political of course.

I have a friend who travels internationally and has been to China numerous times. Other than a couple of “ladies” trying to pick him up at the Hard Rock-Beijing, I don’t ever remember any travel stories about rapping at the Great Hall.

24. nellie says:

Yappy New Year

25. PepeLepew says:

New Year’s Day music?

• nellie says:

Love this, Pepe.

• PepeLepew says:

It’s for the Winter Classic in Fenway.

• boomer1949 says:

I’ve been watching…weird…hockey at a baseball stadium. Yet, ice hockey should be outside to begin with. Amazing what we become used to…all the indoor stuff and all. Okay, I went to bed early, skipped the bubbly, but am making up for it this afternoon.

Need to find something positive from the day. Found out early this morning that my car has croaked to the tune of $400. It’s sitting at the shop and, low an behold. boomer doesn’t have the dollars to bring it home. So, a friend picked me up, took me for a quick run to the grocery (with Merlot at the top of my list), and brought me home. So much for starting the New Year on a semi-positive note. The good thing is it’s only Friday (even though it seems like Saturday or Sunday), and I have a couple of days to figure out my options.

However, it’s my car, a machine; not my sister, my kid, or any of the other human for whom I care deeply (aka my fellow Planeteers). All y’all are Priceless!

• KQuark says:

I’m watching it now. My wife and I are huge hockey fans.

” alt=”lindros” />

• javaz says:

Do you know the reason they play the Canadian National Anthem at all hockey games?
          Is it tradition or because most hockey players are Canadian?

• KQuark says:

They usually only play the Canadian national anthem when a Canadian team is involved. In fact when two Canadian teams play they usually don’t play the Star Spangled Banner. It is actually the exception when they play the Canadian anthem when two American teams are playing.

• PepeLepew says:

They’re being nice to Canadians.

It was invented (allegedly) in Canada. They’re paying homage.

Actually, there’s almost as many Europeans in the NHL now as Canadians. About 10 to 20 percent of the players are American.

• KQuark says:

It was a nice gesture for the Winter Classic.

But some day European players will outnumber NA players just based on population it’s inevitable.