nellie On November - 21 - 2009

Senate_in_sessionThis thread is for anyone watching the current debate who would like to discuss it.

Categories: News & Politics

1. HITO says:

Is it me? Can’t refresh fast enough. I’m waiting though…it’s worth it.

Nope, it’s me. Just adjusted how many comments appear per page (click “Older Comments” below to see more).

When we get a few hundred comments and they’re not paged, it takes a long time to load them all each time there’s a refresh!

Sorry about that!

We are running a bit slow when comments reach a certain number on each thread. AdLib is on it but it might take a little time. Thank you for your patience.

• KevenSeven says:

Is this thread only open to comment from residents of NY, or can anyone join in?

What, Tokyo is banned?

• HITO says:

Haha. You are so funny Keven.

Is it my imagination, or do you just hate me?

• KevenSeven says:

No, I don’t hate you, don’t be an infant.

You said that my opinion on the utility of trying KSM was not of value because I am not from NY.

So I am just asking if the rule applies here?

Kev, the rules don’t allow you to name call. Please don’t do that.

• javaz says:

He reminds me of one of my brothers, and he sounds so much like him, I’m wondering.

Lighten up.

I think that everyone needs to read the rules again and remember why we started this site in the first place.

Absolutely.

And I want to hear your opinion even if you don’t live in NY.

• bitohistory says:

X4!!!

• KevenSeven says:

Fine. I object to having my comments dismissed with “Do you live in NY”.

There. Clear enough?

Please Kev, feel free to discuss the issues you have a problem with but don’t personalize it.

That’s the HuffPo way, not The Planet way.

• HITO says:

I never said that. That would be projection on your part.

I continue to question the possibility that NY will absorb some of the costs of trying KSM. It is a valid concern regardless of your stance.

Chas. Schumer said he will request the feds pick up the bill for this.

Why did Schumer have to ask to begin with?

• bitohistory says:

Schumer did the correct thing, he brought the subject up at a hearing in commie with the A.G., Eric Holder. There is a process to move the funds to cover all of the expenses that NYC may incur.

• KevenSeven says:

Seriously. As if the Feds are not going to cover the bill.

• KevenSeven says:

It is not a question of whether or not NY will absorb some fraction of the cost.

You asked me “Do you live in NY?”

What difference does it make where I live? That is my question to you. Which you seem to have a problem answering.

Javez, I thought I was clear:

I object to having my comments dismissed because I am not a resident of the state the action is happening in.

• KevenSeven says:

Well, that is a fine response.

Like I could not have empathy with NY and it’s finances? My state is bankrupt as well. Do you want to have a cry-fest, or shall we just discuss the issues of the day without personalizing them?

• javaz says:

What is your problem?

• HITO says:

OK, perhaps if you did live in NY you might share some of my angst, given NY is $13Bil in the hole, and our NYSED system is as well.

Was just looking for a some shared sentiment, not trying to attack you as you have clearly posted.

I’ll go away now K7. Hope you are happy.

• javaz says:

YIKES

Keven scares the hell out of me.

When he writes them things whereby we’re supposed to converse, well, I wonder if Keven is my brother that lives in California and he disowned me.

Lighten up.

• KevenSeven says:

Wow. You should not scare that easy. There are actual reactionaries out there to battle.

K7 and I have gotten into it on issues as well, please don’t take it personally.

Still, we do require that people respect each other while disagreeing on opinions, that applies to everyone including all of the founders. We’re all peers here.

Knock it off, wise guy!

• KevenSeven says:

Who? Me? I am just wondering if my opinions count, seeing as I do not live in NY. I for one think that they do.

Now that is not nice.

Just cut and paste this:

Keven: It was wrong of me to question the validity of your opinion based on your residence.

Yes I know that kev, but we all have a choice on how we chose to word our replies, right?

• KevenSeven says:

Kalima, I am just explaining that it is not cricket to dismiss people’s comments based on where they live.

Really a small detail.

Excuse me, I thought that we were here to set an example and not be part of the fray.
              Maybe I read the wrong memo before we started this site or was it my piss poor eyes?

• KevenSeven says:

Fine. Just as long as we don’t get any of this “some of the animals are more equal than the others”.

I had enough of that elsewhere.

Kev, you’re right, the rules apply in both directions.

Let’s get back to issues and not criticisms of other members.

I think we’re only counting opinions from Manhattan, upstate New York is outta luck!

• HITO says:

Ha!

I am only mid-Hudson Valley Adlib, so I’m still in this discourse!

You are a good moderator, btw.

Cheers! All good folk here, just like in any relationship, conflicts come up, they need to be dissolved, reconciled and forgotten.

• FeloniousMonk says:

Hudson Valley???? Is that where all the DeSotos are parked?

• FeloniousMonk says:

Adlib, make them play nice. :-)

2. javaz says:

Hito!!!

Hi!!!

Am out of control and not on topic at all, and thank Cheeses that you are here to save me!

It’s all Gouda!

Hey girlfriend

• HITO says:

Good evening sweetie. So glad you are on here. These two women dems and their waffling ways are driving me nutsee cuckoo. What the fuck is wrong with them?

They know they must stand tall, but they are chicken shit.

• javaz says:

I have no idea what you are talking about since we don’t have cable TV or satellite.

Took a shower with a few beers under my fat, and fell back into the tub, and had to yell for the hubby to help me.

Oops

And you said earlier that you endeavor to be like me?

I do not think so,

I’m the biggest clumbiest person you’d ever meet in your life,.
        I used to be sort of pretty, but I had an accident while sober and totally killed my face!

Thanks anyway, and you have no idea what your words meant to me.

• HITO says:

ROFLMAO…I fell in the tub once having a shower..had too much vino before entering.

I laughed for 1/2 hour…kids thought I was nuts. They’re probably correct.

BTW, I read about those two dog dem girls on Huffy this afternoon.

I have cable, but don’t watch much. Would rather read NYT.

• javaz says:

Ripped off the shower curtain, and it wasn’t a bad thing because they were rusting the rod.

I’m not grotesquely fat, but weigh 180 pounds, but I’m 5 foot 8 inches, so I carry the extra weight well.

• HITO says:

Shit happens. When it is a physical feat, I have learned to laugh and enjoy the moment, especially if I haven’t broken anything.

Hey, we are getting old…you never know what could happen!

3. KQuark says:

I don’t want to over or under emphasize the moment when the Senate voted to start debating and amending the healthcare bill Reid presented. Ever step of this process is history but there are uncharted waters ahead at the same time. While I recognize two very important procedural votes are ahead not even including the final votes it’s going to be difficult to stop the momentum gained for healthcare reform. However, we need to continue to pressure wavering Dems and more importantly kill any poison amendments the GOP and conservadems try and add to the bill.

Again we have the party of NO grasping for relevance claiming they need weeks and weeks of debate even though they will never even vote for cloture on the final bill, not out of duty to their constituents but just for political expediency.

• bitohistory says:

KQ, Well said. We need to keep the pressure on our Reps. and Senators. The debate begins anew Nov. 30. Your Rep will be back in town everyone! If you can, attend any gatering they may have over the break. In the words of Ted Kennedy: The work continues! “

• HITO says:

Hi KQ. My one and only post on hp today said something like this:

How is stem cell research going…do we have enough time to grow a spine and insert it into Lincoln?

Nuff said.

PS
      Why doesn’t she realize if she doesn’t stand tall, she will have no chance of winning in 2010? Wuss she is. Actually making a stand that will destroy her.

• KQuark says:

Hey good to see you.

Yup what these squirmy Democratic Senators don’t realize is that showing some conviction towards what Dem voters want matters especially to independent voters. I never understood the mentality of Democrats voting with Republicans since politics has become so caustic the last 30 years. I mean conservative Dems have never been rewarded by voters for acting like Republicans even in more conservative districts and states anyway.

4. bitohistory says:

Before everyone disappears, I want to thank you all for a very enjoyable day. I would have been sitting here yelling at the tube by my lonesome without you.
    And thanks to nellie for her insight on the process.

5. PatsyT says:

My kids and I were gathered around the set and cheering !
    My Kids !!!

• bitohistory says:

PastyT, I have no idea how old your kids are, but my first National Campaign was for JFK as a youngster. Life time memory. It inspired me to become involved for the rest of my life in my little attempt to do a bit of good. I wish the same for your children.

6. BigDogMom says:

Yeh!!!!! Even Liver lips Lieberman voted YES!!!!!!

He knows he can’t back home unless he did, 60% of CT wanted this bill and a public option.

Loved how they used the old rules and had a seated vote!

I’m just wild about Harry…..

Whoopie!!!!

Did anyone hear me???????

8. bitohistory says:

I never had a doubt. Piece of cake! 😆 😛

9. KevenSeven says:

Yippie!

10. Bernard Marx says:

A small but significant shuffle in the right direction.

11. escribacat says:

SIX ZERO — PASSED!!

12. PepeLepew says:

That was a lot quicker than I thought it would be.

Well I just went back to C-Span and can’t get the live feed, CNN international is not covering it either, so I’ll hang around here to get the latest news. Good luck everyone, I’ll be cheering so loud when it passes, you will hear me all the way from the other side of the Pacific Ocean.

14. nellie says: