bito On January - 17 - 2013

The place to post your comments without interrupting the single topic posts. However, be mindful of the strict rules!!

If you find the rules here are too confining, try the Morning Blog.

YOU MAY ONLY POST COMMENTS HERE IF:

THEY ARE OFF TOPIC, TO POST LINKS TO ARTICLES, TO COMMENT, TO SAY HELLO, TO HAVE A DIALOG, TO POST A VIDEO, TO PLAY, TO ASK QUESTIONS, TO HAVE OPINIONS, TO DISCUSS, TO POST KITTIES/PUPPIES/CARTOONS, TO TELL JOKES AND STORIES,

AND A BUNCH OF OTHER STUFF I CAN’T THINK OF RIGHT NOW.

BUT ABSOLUTELY, NO SPITTING, EYE GOUGING OR HITTING ABOVE OR BELOW THE BELT!!

You know the rules, now follow them! Please?

Every so often I intrude TO/OT with a personal pick of a site that I find important that I feel needs to be shared and not lost in the shuffle of the constant flow of thoughts on The Planet.

And yet with globalization, we seem to have developed a strange apprehension about the efficacy of our ability to apply the innovation and hard work necessary to successfully compete in a complex security and economic environment. Further, we have misunderstood interdependence as a weakness rather than recognizing it as a strength. The key to sustaining our competitive edge, at home or on the world stage, is credibility — and credibility is a difficult capital to foster. It cannot be won through intimidation and threat, it cannot be sustained through protectionism or exclusion. Credibility requires engagement, strength, and reliability — imaginatively applied through the national tools of development, diplomacy, and defense.

The Y Article

A National Security Narrative

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

H/T AB

Written by bito

Was once a handsome frog until kissed by an ugly corporate princess.----- Like a well honed knife, the internet can be a wonderful and useful tool. It can be used to prepare and serve a delicious meal or it can be used to cause harm. peace

6,964 Responses so far.

1. Nirek says:

The coward Eric Frein has been caught without incident.
    Why do I call him a coward? Because he shot policemen in ambush. That is cowardly, imo.

• pinkpantheroz says:

I, for one, am very impressed at the restraint of the captors. It could have been so easy to report that he was ‘shot while attempting to escape”. I hope that this coward gets little or no publicity from now on. Any hype surrounding him is an insult to the officers shot in the incident.

• monicaangela says:

Cowardly indeed Nirek. I do hope they will allow him to speak with reporters though, I would love to hear his reasoning behind what he has done. There must be a story behind this, at least I hope there is. It would be horrible to think someone just got up one morning and for no reason decided to go look for police officers in order to ambush and kill them.

• monicaangela says:

KT, what can I say…this add puts it all into perspective, and when you stop to think, the Koch Brothers and their industries are just two in a long line of many in our new oligarchy. Wouldn’t it be wonderful if every add they place on the web or on TV or radio could be followed with an add like this one? I believe if we did do something like this, Citizens United would become a thing of the past. Thanks for posting them, I really enjoyed it. :)

KT, you beat me to it, thanks for posting this video! Stewart and Co. hilariously destroyed this Koch Brothers propaganda commercial with this parody. Folks should spread this around!

2. monicaangela says:

AND AS CANADA SLEEPS…..let’s just say as the world sleeps:

3. monicaangela says:

AND AS AMERICA SLEEPS…..the Police State in the U.S. takes shape.

• monicaangela says:

This guy is an elected congressman….scratching your head yet? This is proof positive anybody, and I mean anybody can represent the people of the state of Texas. Texas has twice as many republican representatives, 24 compared to 12 democrats. Is this coincidence or does it speak to money in politics? Imagine living in a state where you have both Louie Gohmert and Ted Cruz, one in the House of Representatives the other in the Senate, both an embarrassment for the state if you ask me. How can the people of Texas honestly say this is the best they have to offer?

Colbert is excellent at pointing out the stupidity behind what we call leadership in this nation…Sad commentary I know…but what would we do without Stewart, Colbert, and Oliver? :)

• Nirek says:

Monica, Texas has plenty of good people, but they are outnumbered by idiots and 1%ers, unfortunately.

• monicaangela says:

I’m sure you are correct Nirek, I lived in Texas at one time and met many very good people. I also met many people that I liked until it came to their politics, it was as though they were brainwashed into believing that one or two issues were all they needed to concern themselves with. I really couldn’t understand it, but now years later as I look back, I believe it was more divide and conquer tactics by politicians than anything else. Most of the time it was a matter of are you with this group or that one…that one being the group you didn’t want to associate with and one issue, guns or abortion etc., would determine which group you voted with, it didn’t matter if the candidate was against everything else that would be beneficial to you, the idea was to stick with the crowd, your group, those like yourself etc.

• Nirek says:

Hi Monica, I’ve never been to Texas and never will go there. I do know some folks from Texas and that is why I say there are some good people there. AlfaBitch is another from Texas who I greatly admire.

• monicaangela says:

Hi Nirek,

As it is in every part of this nation there are always good and bad people who live in every state. Texas gets a lot of bad press because so many of the leaders from that state are so abnormal. Some parts of Texas are absolutely beautiful, and when I lived there I enjoyed every moment of it. My late husband and I left there because there weren’t many economic opportunities for us. We made the right decision. Again, I agree with you, I am not from Texas, but have lived there so I can attest to the fact…there are good people in Texas…clear enough?

• Nirek says:

How does he find all the idiots he makes fun of, KT?
      Had me laughing like crazy.

• monicaangela says:

A racist homophobic, how unusual. Quiet as it is kept, this guy has plenty of company in this nation. Education, yes, this is the type of education some of the citizens in this nation have gotten. Privilege without the ability to appreciate or utilize it properly has its drawbacks. Was he drunk? Was he under the influence of alcohol or drugs? Maybe not, there are many human beings who live and breathe everyday on this planet thinking the way this man does. Problem here is, this guy felt comfortable attacking another human being because of his prejudices something that happens on a daily basis and more often than not goes without notice. This guy just made the mistake of doing it publicly in the Dallas airport. As the guy referred to as Kennedy said, the guy has serious problems. I don’t believe the courts or jail will ever be able to handle problems of this type without public scrutiny.

A Sad waste of a human mind or better said, a mind is a terrible thing to waste. The question we need to be asking ourselves is: How did he get this way? Religion, the media, family, friends, divorce, poverty, what? Aren’t these the questions we always ask when someone acts out in this manner? I sure hope someone follows this case to find out what actually happens to this young man. Will he get help, a slap on the wrist, a boys will be boys nod from the judge or what? I wonder…

• Well, the good thing is, that this sort of behavior is not being kept as quiet as it once was. It made me feel good to see so many decent people grab this idiot and put him in his place. They made it quite evident to this twit that such behavior is not acceptable and won’t be tolerated among decent folks.

Sure, there are many more like this hate filled lunatic, but society is becoming increasingly intolerant of such people. I have seen other examples where people defended others who were being harassed and/or assaulted for their sexuality or skin color.

Social progress is slow, but I believe the tide is turning in the right direction. There are more decent people in America than there are sick people like this guy.

How did he become this way? I would guess, that’s the way he was raised, he probably grew up with kids who were raised the same way, and so on.

The one bystander asked this guy, “What are you so upset about?” And the attacker said “Because he’s a QUEER!” He said it with such incredulity as if he believed everybody should have been as upset as he was about having a “queer,” in their midst. This type of thinking and behavior is definitely learned.

• monicaangela says:

Absolutely KT,

That is the good thing about incidents like this one. Because of people like these that have the courage to stand up and renounce incidents like this, because of people like yourself and others that are helping to make this world a better place people like this are finding it a bit harder to survive in a world that rejects ideas like those he expressed.

I wrote my comment to express what I feel about the incident. I in no way feel hopeless or helpless when it comes to issues like this one, I believe everyone is entitled to live in peace and tranquility on this earth without persecution. I realize that as you say, this guy probably grew up with kids that think and feel the same way..I would add that he probably grew up with kids and adults that feel the way he does, and probably continues to associate with the same type of people since he is no longer a child. This guy is a grown man, and still doesn’t know any better than this. That is the problem.

Again, you are correct, the behavior exhibited by this man is learned, and in the not too distant past was widely accepted by many, his case appears extreme for this day and age but in reality is not as extreme as some would like to believe. Yes, he talked about the guy who he felt everyone should be repulsed by, but he also made a statement in that video to someone saying “because this is America, the same reason you get to live and breathe black, you know what I mean.” What a sad tortured individual, and exactly what did he mean? Yes, I agree, this is learned behavior, and we need to begin in this nation and around the world to discuss why this behavior is so prevalent and find ways to wipe it from the face of the earth.

Thank God for people like you KT, if only we could multiply you by a couple of billion. :)

• :oops: :oops: Thank you Monica for the kind words.

I completely agree. This guy is the epitome of stupid. He’s being arrested by two black cops and he says something as stupid as you pointed out.

I commend those officers for not taking the bait and for treating this twerp in a very professional manner. This idiot doesn’t know how fortunate he is.

I hope he gets jail time (at least 6 months) and be made to go to some sort of behavioral modification course. He clearly has some mental issues.

Love the comment from Brother Kennedy: “We HOPE this guy was under the influence of drugs or alcohol. If not, and that’s his real personality, he has a LONG road ahead of him!”

I think either way, he now has a long road — which will include the road to the the holding cell, the bail bondsman, and a court date at the very minimum! All richly deserved.

Maybe he’ll think twice before he starts insulting and assaulting random strangers at the airport after this!

• Hey Homie! What I found disturbing is that when the guy was being cuffed, he yelled “This is America!” Apparently he thinks it’s OK to publicly berate someone and then assault them. Hey, this is America, ya know?

It’s beyond sad that some people think that “America,” would condone such violent homophobia and racism. Thanks, FOX news, and right wing radio!

Homie, don’t you think that this is a symptom of the RW radio and FOX habit of consistently misinterpreting what the word “freedom” actually means?

To them it means: “I get to do and say anything I want to, any time I want to.” From the Koch brothers dumping toxic waste and buying elections to yokels like this attacking innocent people at airports because they don’t like the way they look, it’s all about the “freedom” to be an ass.

I think the Founding Fathers had something entirely different in mind. And it was something that had a level of responsibility attached to it, along with the privilege of freedom, if I’m not mistaken!

But many will be thanks to the constant drone of media hype.

—-

New York City physician has Ebola. Mayor: “No need for New Yorkers to be alarmed”.

The irony, no? What soldier would expect to join “the honored dead” while guarding their memorial in Canada?

Thanks for posting, funk.

• monicaangela says:

How long will human beings continue to play this game? I wonder….

War, what is it good for….a perfect line in a song that raced to the top of the charts. Years and years of lives cut short, gains by those who promote the wars for profit, and yet we continue to have war around the world with nothing ever really being settled. Does it make you wonder why? I truly wonder why we poor citizens continue to go off and fight to protect the wealth of those who could care less whether we live or die…in war or on the street. Sad commentary I know, but IMHO…TRUTH.

• Nirek says:

Funk, “The Greatest Generation”!
      I like the cartoon, it shows that those older soldiers were ready to help. I am sure the younger soldiers are just as ready, though.

5. funksands says:

An example for our media:

6. Nirek says:

KT, we had some luck with the Dr. today and will be getting medical MJ. Got any recipes ? My wife doesn’t want to smoke it.
    Thanks for your help in our pursuit of MMJ. Your advice is much appreciated.

• That’s great news Nirek! I think you should look into ways she can vaporize instead of smoking. Vapor is not smoke and is much, much better for the lungs and is not harsh to inhale.

Beginners should not start out eating pot. It’s much more potent when eaten and lasts longer. She should really try vaporizing first and stick with that for a while, until she gets accustomed to the effects of medical MJ.

Talk to the dispenser of the MMJ before buying and find out the best strains that will help your wife and how to vaporize. It will be well worth the effort.

I’m glad any info I gave could help you and your wife. Just remember to start out slow and see how it goes. Not everybody enjoys being high. There are strains with lower THC percentages and higher CBD levels for people who don’t want an intense pot high. Best wishes! :cool:

7. monicaangela says:

TESTING…

texdereg_590_426.jpg

I wanted to post this in one of Nirek’s articles on Ebola. The deregulation in Texas is really bad.

8. monicaangela says:

IGNORANT? OVERWHELMINGLY STUPID? PREJUDICE OR WHAT?

Whatever the reason, sooner or later the taxpaying citizens of this nation are going to wake up and realize this modern method of police brutality and racist behavior that is being sanctioned by the laws of this nation is not only obscene, but is costing a fortune. When will we learn?

A wonderful article explaining the millions and millions of dollars cities pay out for this injustice can be found here:

From the article: “So what’s the solution, if any, to a system so clearly rigged that it allows rogue cops who engage in excessive force to wreak havoc with no fear of financial consequences? As HRW concludes:

The excessive use of force by police officers, including unjustified shootings, severe beatings, fatal choking’s, and rough treatment, persists because overwhelming barriers to accountability make it possible for officers who commit human rights violations to escape due punishment and often to repeat their offenses…. Officers with long records of abuse, policies that are overly vague, training that is substandard, and screening that is inadequate all create opportunities for abuse. Perhaps most important, and consistently lacking, is a system of oversight in which supervisors hold their charges accountable for mistreatment and are themselves reviewed and evaluated, in part, by how they deal with subordinate officers who commit human rights violations. Those who claim that each high-profile case of abuse by a “rogue” officer is an aberration are missing the point: problem officers frequently persist because the accountability systems are so seriously flawed.

Unfortunately, we’re so far gone as a nation in terms of cronyism, corruption and unequal justice that there’s little hope of reformation working from the top down. As I point out in A Government of Wolves: The Emerging American Police State, if any change is to be made, if any hope for accountability is to be realized it must begin, as always, at the local level, with local police departments and governing bodies, where the average citizen can still, with sufficient reinforcements, make his voice heard.

So the next time you hear of a police shooting in your town of an unarmed citizen, don’t just shrug helplessly and turn the page or switch the channel. Form a coalition of concerned citizens and call your prosecutor’s office, email the police department, speak out at your city council meeting, urge your local paper to cover the story from both sides, blog about it, stage a protest, demand transparency and accountability—whatever you do, make sure you send the message loud and clear that you do not want your taxpayer dollars supporting illegal and abusive behavior.”

“Constitutional attorney and author John W. Whitehead [send him mail] is founder and president of The Rutherford Institute. He is the author of A Government of Wolves: The Emerging American Police State and The Change Manifesto (Sourcebooks).”

Sponsors