bito On January - 17 - 2013

The place to post your comments without interrupting the single topic posts. However, be mindful of the strict rules!!

If you find the rules here are too confining, try the Morning Blog.

YOU MAY ONLY POST COMMENTS HERE IF:

THEY ARE OFF TOPIC, TO POST LINKS TO ARTICLES, TO COMMENT, TO SAY HELLO, TO HAVE A DIALOG, TO POST A VIDEO, TO PLAY, TO ASK QUESTIONS, TO HAVE OPINIONS, TO DISCUSS, TO POST KITTIES/PUPPIES/CARTOONS, TO TELL JOKES AND STORIES,

AND A BUNCH OF OTHER STUFF I CAN’T THINK OF RIGHT NOW.

BUT ABSOLUTELY, NO SPITTING, EYE GOUGING OR HITTING ABOVE OR BELOW THE BELT!!

You know the rules, now follow them! Please?

Every so often I intrude TO/OT with a personal pick of a site that I find important that I feel needs to be shared and not lost in the shuffle of the constant flow of thoughts on The Planet.

And yet with globalization, we seem to have developed a strange apprehension about the efficacy of our ability to apply the innovation and hard work necessary to successfully compete in a complex security and economic environment. Further, we have misunderstood interdependence as a weakness rather than recognizing it as a strength. The key to sustaining our competitive edge, at home or on the world stage, is credibility — and credibility is a difficult capital to foster. It cannot be won through intimidation and threat, it cannot be sustained through protectionism or exclusion. Credibility requires engagement, strength, and reliability — imaginatively applied through the national tools of development, diplomacy, and defense.

The Y Article

A National Security Narrative

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

H/T AB

Written by bito

Was once a handsome frog until kissed by an ugly corporate princess.----- Like a well honed knife, the internet can be a wonderful and useful tool. It can be used to prepare and serve a delicious meal or it can be used to cause harm. peace

7,831 Responses so far.

1. glenn says:

Here are my Memorial Day thoughts:

You have no right to call yourself an American if:

You will not fight as hard for the civil rights of someone who disagrees with you as you would for those who agree with you. This has NOTHING to do with religion.

You will not respect the President of the United States and the First Lady of the United States, no matter how much you disagree with them

You will not respect my constitutional right to cast a vote, no matter how much you disagree with my vote.

You will not respect my right to speak my opinion, no matter how much it disagrees with yours. That being said, you must be able to defend your opinion with a grounding in facts.

You cheer for, or agree with, a candidate for the President of the United States who says he will not follow the law as determined by the Supreme Court of the United States.

• Nirek says:

Glenn, I agree with one exception. “w” has zero of my respect. I cannot respect someone who sent thousands of Americans to their death and maimed even more under false pretenses.

Otherwise, I wholeheartedly agree with you.

• glenn says:

Nirek,

I struggled with that one, since I feel the same way about gwb as you. I thought about putting in “the office of the POTUS”, but in the end decided to leave it at the man. And, your reasons for the disprespect are grounded in facts, so your exception is noted.

2. Nirek says:

I dislike that the “news” people tell us that Bernie will not win ! Lets prove them to be as wrong as they were when they said Mitt would win in a landslide!
    Don’t let the media call the shots. Bernie can win with the grass roots campaign. He is not taking PAC money or corporate money so he will be beholding just to the people! NOT corporations!

Please get behind Bernie and help us take our country back!

3. pinkpantheroz says:

An historic day for Ireland and the World. Today, the people of the Republic are voting in a referendum to change the Constitution of Ireland to allow Marriages for LGBT citizens. this is a World first, where the change is being voted by the People, not the Legislature in a plain YES or NO format.. Polls show a large majority in favor, but, of course, it depends on the turnout. The influence of the Catholic Church has waned markedly among younger voters (no explanation neccessary), so their exhortations to vote NO are only resonating with some older people in rural areas. Many Irish voters have actually flown home to vote, even from Australia. I’m proud of that.

PPO, I was so glad to read this morning that this had passed. Ireland should be proud.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen public opinion change as fast as it has on the issue of gay marriage — and it was truly a change for the better!

Now if only the RWers can get on board. The train left the station a long time ago.

• Nirek says:

PPO, gay marriage is a civil right, in my opinion. Marriage is a wonderful institution. Mine has lasted 42 years this July so far. I want people to marry the person they love the most in this world. It doesn’t matter who as long as it is right for them. I hope Ireland passes eqquality!

• Fergie1 says:

Indeed a great day for Ireland PPO! An historic turnout and it now appears that the YES vote has won! So proud of Ireland. And by all accounts it was not only the young people, or those in the urban areas who made this happen but also the mature folk as well as those in the rural areas. This makes the result even more historic. The people of Ireland voted for equality and justice for all its citizens! YEAH!

For those of you interested in hearing a powerful and compassionate speech by the former President of Ireland, Mary McAleese, here is a link. Yes, it’s 24 minutes, but what a 24 minutes. Any chance she could go and speak to the U.S. Congress?

• pinkpantheroz says:

Fantastic video, fergie! Yes, it looks as if History has been made. the YES vote is miles ahead of the No.

Of course, Ireland being Ireland, there were some classic quotes from Voters. When one father of a gay man was asked if he backed same sex marriage, he replied. “Of course I’m for same sex marriage! I’ve had the same sex with my wife for 34 years!”

4. Nirek says:

Citizens United says that money is speech and corporations are people.

Okay, why is no person going to jail for this crime? If corporations are people it seems to me someone should be going to jail! It is my right to free speech that makes me ask this and NOT my money.

Hi Aquarius1027.

Just read about your problem in commenting on our Contact Us.

Could you please Logout, delete your “Planetpov” cookie, shut down and restart your computer and Login again? Sometimes cookies can be compromised. Fingers crossed and good luck.

Hope you see this and I’m sorry that I can’t contact you directly as I don’t have an outgoing response Planetpov email set up.

• funksands says:

Nirek, it’s a pretty good list! Over the last 6 years however, its become increasingly clear that one first has to be open to having their mind changed for any of these responses to be useful.

6. Nirek says:

We have talked about politicians lying before, now I have a question about the Kochs lying in an advertisement? They have an ad about fraking being safe to get oil and natural gas. How can they get away with a lie?

7. Nirek says:

Pope Francis is showing everyone how to act! He is recognizing the Palestinian State. What great Pope! Acting the way Jesus would. He is restoring my faith in people.

8. Nirek says:

How dispicable is the GOP? They want to allow the preditory lenders to continue to prey on soldiers. These repugnant critins “support” the troops but not in any real way.

9. Nirek says:

I took my wife to a brunch this morning. We were recalling when our two kids (38 and 39) were little and went out to our front yard wearing their PJ’s and winter boots to pick violets for their Mom on Mothers day.

Call me crazy, but memories like that are priceless.

10. funksands says:

Jade Helm: The Insanity That Ate Texas

“Jade Helm.

Martial Law.

FEMA Death Camps.

Oh, it’s coming, Folks. It’s a comin’.

This is it. This is the big one. Obama is about to make his move. Martial law, you betcha, FEMA death camps and secret tunnels under Wal-Mart. Oh they warned us, they did, the powdered wig wearing Patriots of the Tea Party, they warned us. Grab the wimen’ folk, load yer guns, hoist the Confederate Battle Flag! To the bunkers! To the bunkers!

“Just because you’re paranoid,” said Ted Cruz, “doesn’t mean they’re not out to get you.”

Just because you’re paranoid, doesn’t mean they’re not out to get you.

Right…..”

The more I read this guy, the more I like him. Fantastic take on the state-wide lyme disease afflicting the Lone Star state.

(Kind of like a poor man’s AdLib)

Funk, appreciate the props and the link. I was hoping to get my piece on this up yesterday, it’s up now and is wholly deserving of complete evisceration.

When paranoid lunacy goes mainstream to Congressmen and a Governor…you know you must be in Texas.

• Sabreen60 says:

Funk, I read this and was LMAO -- Wright is awesome.

Absolutely love Jim Wright, funk!

When I started telling people about Gov. Abbott’s reaction to these military drills, a lot of them thought that I’d read an Onion story and taken it seriously. It took some convincing to get them to realize that Abbott and friends were actually going there.

As AdLib often says — it’s getting harder and harder to do satire and parody of the GOP. They do such a great job of it themselves.

• Nirek says:

Kes, even AdLib can’t make this up. That’s why it is so hard to tell when AdLib writes a satire. It just is so real, the GOP gives so much to humore, except that it’e sad that it’s real.

• Just when you think the crazy can’t get any deeper………..!

What happened to the favorite old saw of the GOP, “We support our troops?” Oh, that’s right, that was before we got a black Muslim, socialist, commie in the WHITEhouse.

Sponsors