bito On January - 17 - 2013

The place to post your comments without interrupting the single topic posts. However, be mindful of the strict rules!!

If you find the rules here are too confining, try the Morning Blog.

YOU MAY ONLY POST COMMENTS HERE IF:

THEY ARE OFF TOPIC, TO POST LINKS TO ARTICLES, TO COMMENT, TO SAY HELLO, TO HAVE A DIALOG, TO POST A VIDEO, TO PLAY, TO ASK QUESTIONS, TO HAVE OPINIONS, TO DISCUSS, TO POST KITTIES/PUPPIES/CARTOONS, TO TELL JOKES AND STORIES,

AND A BUNCH OF OTHER STUFF I CAN’T THINK OF RIGHT NOW.

BUT ABSOLUTELY, NO SPITTING, EYE GOUGING OR HITTING ABOVE OR BELOW THE BELT!!

You know the rules, now follow them! Please?

Every so often I intrude TO/OT with a personal pick of a site that I find important that I feel needs to be shared and not lost in the shuffle of the constant flow of thoughts on The Planet.

And yet with globalization, we seem to have developed a strange apprehension about the efficacy of our ability to apply the innovation and hard work necessary to successfully compete in a complex security and economic environment. Further, we have misunderstood interdependence as a weakness rather than recognizing it as a strength. The key to sustaining our competitive edge, at home or on the world stage, is credibility — and credibility is a difficult capital to foster. It cannot be won through intimidation and threat, it cannot be sustained through protectionism or exclusion. Credibility requires engagement, strength, and reliability — imaginatively applied through the national tools of development, diplomacy, and defense.

The Y Article

A National Security Narrative

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

H/T AB

Written by bito

Was once a handsome frog until kissed by an ugly corporate princess.----- Like a well honed knife, the internet can be a wonderful and useful tool. It can be used to prepare and serve a delicious meal or it can be used to cause harm. peace

7,188 Responses so far.

1. pinkpantheroz says:

May you all have a Happy and safe Thanksgiving from Down Under to Up Over!

2. EXFANOFARIANA says:

Since I won’t be available to post tomorrow due to several volunteering actions, I wish everyone here on the Planet, I very healthy and safe Turkey Day.Don’t forget , also, honor your seniors and the elder.Hugs T.

We can still secure #JusticeForMikeBrown
    A St. Louis Grand Jury refused to indict Mike Brown’s killer — Police Officer Darren Wilson. Not it’s up to the Department of Justice who has the power to arrest and prosecute Officer Darren Wilson under federal criminal charges. Raise your voice today to ensure our national leaders step in where Missouri’s politicians have failed, and secure justice for Mike Brown immediately. More »

3. sillylittleme says:

Since I will be cooking in two kitchens tomorrow, I wanted to take the opportunity to wish everyone a happy and healthy Thanksgiving.

4. Beatlex says:

So help me out here my American friends,where are the R’s on the Fergusson situation? Any statements from the “leadership”? How is Fox presenting this?

• Nirek says:

Beatlex, I have no idea what the republicans think about it. Actually I don’t think they think. I don’t watch Fox so can’t help you there, either. Sorry

Even though tomorrow is not Thanksgiving in Canada, I wish you well there.

Grand jury reaches decision in Ferguson case:

Absolutely loved this!! :lol: Priceless!!

• Nirek says:

Kalima, my wife has medical MJ and I am her caregiver so I can go buy it. She has tried lozenges so far and wants to try vapoizing. The clip is fun to watch. Since I tried a lozenge and about an hour later I was laughing about things that are not actually funny. The other thing was TiME dId funny thinGs to mE.

• Hey Kalima! I saw that the other day and couldn’t stop laughing! Those ladies were having a great time. I loved the one in the middle. :cool:

Thanks for letting me know about Sally. Is she doing OK? How is her health?

It reminded me of my mother’s first time in London. She said she couldn’t say that she felt any different, 20 minutes later we found her laughing in our kitchen while raiding the fridge. :)

Sally seemed in good spirits, happy about the MJ law passing there, and what she gave as a reason for taking a break, has been delayed for the time being.

7. EXFANOFARIANA says:

I’d like to post a comment of my own.
    The World Bank estimates that climate change is making it difficult to reduce poverty in the world, jeopardizing the livelihoods of millions of people. This is the conclusion report released Sunday (23) by the institution.

Accordingly to the World Bank Group, Jim Yong Kim, the document “confirms what scientists have been saying the recent emissions [greenhouse gases] created an inevitable course for heating the next two decades, which will affect more the poor and vulnerable. ” And yet, more and more people insist on reproducing due the inefficacy of their governments.We all cried wolf when China begun introducing one Child per Household. Was it perfect? NO.But they were aware of the dramatic future for children born into poverty.I was in China several times and, could witness the misery of rural children: if they were female, abandoned at orphanages or buried alive within minutes after a female was born.
    The report said the impacts of climate change, such as extreme heat events, unavoidable, since the Earth’s atmospheric system is 1.5 degrees Celsius above the levels recorded in the mid pre-industrial era ,and that even taking today’s very ambitious mitigation measures, the impacts will not be changed.

“The dramatic climate change and the extreme heat are affecting people around the world, damaging crops, coastal areas and jeopardizing water security,” the report titled Turn Down the Heat: Confronting the New Climate Normal. Without drastic changes on how many children can be born into poverty , which is pretty much the news now, no hopes can be accomplished,It’s doom out there. Thanks

8. Here is Gertrude and Heathcliffe, a pair of swans that live on a pond just down the road from me.

PTDC0066.JPG

PTDC0063.JPG

Now, if I can just catch them kissing!

• EXFANOFARIANA says:

Thanks, brother. I will leave now for half hour, time my vets are waiting to get fed……:)And with some beers too.! ;)

• EXFANOFARIANA says:

Nirek, my family of Nam vets, have become for years now, MY GUYS, One of them is HIV positive and, I’ve just noticed, the symptoms of Sarcoma of Kaposi.Blisters all over and weigh only 75 pounds.Call 911 today…they were great but, he will not live more than 6 days. He is this a sweet 68 years old , to get his ass kicked..Got back from Nam to nothing…I will make sure i will be on his side when he passes.Peace.Always…Fucking husband spends thousands of dollars and no , not a cent to them.Good nite you all.

9. Wild turkey’s in our yard.

PTDC0090.JPG

Don’t they know what month this is? :shock:

10. EXFANOFARIANA says:

Pretty much begging everybody here to sign.XOXO

PLEASE, the Arabs Princes are buying land to allow them to kill elephants and leopards in Tanzania!!!!

11. EXFANOFARIANA says:

Just got it from Robert Reich.
    An introductory note from Robert Reich, former Secretary of Labor:

If you’ve seen my film Inequality for All then you may recognize Nick Hanauer. He’s the Seattle-based venture capitalist who appeared in it to talk about the damage income inequality is doing to the middle class. Last Monday, Nick published an important piece in Politico calling on President Obama and the Department of Labor to make more workers eligible for overtime.

Democracy for America, Nick, and I are joining forces to launch a petition to the president asking him to raise wages and create jobs by directing the Department of Labor to expand the number of workers who can receive overtime pay. Below is an email from Nick to one million DFA members across America. I support this petition and I hope you’ll sign it as well. — Bob

Tatiana —

I’m getting rich and you’re getting screwed. Sorry. But with a stroke of the pen, President Obama can make sure you get what you earned, without any congressional action at all.

If it feels like you’re struggling harder than your parents did, working longer hours for less money, it’s because you are. Meanwhile, a handful of capitalists like me are growing wealthy beyond our parents’ wildest dreams.

What’s changed? Overtime pay.

Your parents got a lot of it, and you don’t. In 1975, more than 65 percent of salaried workers earned overtime pay — today, just 11 percent do. That’s because the federal government has allowed the overtime threshold to erode to less than the poverty line for a family four. Earn more than $23,660 a year, and business owners like me can make you work unlimited overtime hours for no additional pay at all.

But to get the country back to the same equitable standards we had in 1975, the Department of Labor would simply have to raise the overtime threshold to $69,000. In other words, if you earn $69,000 or less, the law would require that you be paid time-and-a-half for every hour worked over 40 hours a week.

That would mean 10.4 million middle-class Americans with more money in your pockets or more time to spend with friends and family. And if corporate America didn’t want to pay you time and a half, it would need to hire hundreds of thousands of additional workers to pick up the slack — slashing the unemployment rate and forcing up wages.

President Obama could also expand the ranks of workers eligible for overtime pay by ending the exemption that denies overtime to teachers, doctors, computer professionals, and many others. And he can do all this simply by instructing the Department of Labor to change the rules — immediately putting money into the pockets of millions of American workers.

That’s why I’m joining Democracy for America and Robert Reich in calling on President Obama to do exactly that. Sign our petition to the president: Raise the overtime threshold to give more Americans the overtime pay they’ve earned!

Many of my fellow capitalists will warn you that a higher overtime threshold would be a job killer, but the truth is, we already have more capital than we know what to do with. Corporate profits have doubled over the past 40 years to more than 12 percent of GDP; that’s about a $1 trillion a year in extra profits.

But rather than invest in creating jobs or raising wages, executives like me are mostly spending our windfall profits manipulating the price of our own shares through stock buybacks. In fact, over the past decade, public U.S. corporations have spent an astounding $6.9 trillion buying back shares, reducing the total outstanding, and increasing the value of the remaining shares owned by capitalists like me.

We get richer. You get nothing. Again, sorry. But we’re only playing by the rules — rules that President Obama has the power to change.

President Obama is showing that he isn’t shy about using his executive powers to do good things for the American people. But the White House needs a strong public push — the president needs to hear from as many of you as possible that overtime pay is to the middle class what the minimum wage is to the working poor, and that a stronger middle class is good for business and good for America.

Join me, Robert Reich and Democracy for America in telling President Obama to instruct the Labor Department to expand overtime eligibility. Let’s raise the wage and put more Americans back to work.

Thank you for standing up for the middle class

• I do have a question here. If more people are working overtime, how would that open up slots for more jobs? I agree that if someone works more than 40 hours a week, or more than eight hours a day, they should be paid time and a half.

I’m all for middle class wage increases too, but in order to employ more people, more overtime seems to work against the need to hire more workers.

• Nirek says:

KT, I worked a lot of overtime and there were plenty of others who did, too. Even though we worked overtime there were jobs available.

• Nirek, I’ve worked for a few companies that relied heavily on overtime, and they could have hired more people.

I think maybe your case is an exception. Many companies rely on overtime instead of hiring more people. They save money doing that because they don’t have to offer additional benefits packages. Or, they hire temp workers and again, avoid paying benefits.

• EXFANOFARIANA says:

Scratching my head……You are absolutely right.I will make sure, if you allow me, to c/p your comment and send it to Nick Hanauer. I believe the dismantle of several Union forces were the main culprit to the downfall of this country workers.
        I’ve had several friends, from different states, with antagonistic opinions about American Unions.See, I cannot even fathom a country without a strong Union spine. Reason why the goobers are so adamantly against them.I’ve watched in uber dismay, what happened in Wisconsin.People gathering to vote for the same s.o.b. Their very worst enemy…..I’ve had the opportunity of watching The Dumbification of America. This Common Core bullshit does not make any sense at all.And to find out Bill Gates was behind it?????????????

Sponsors