bito On January - 17 - 2013

The place to post your comments without interrupting the single topic posts. However, be mindful of the strict rules!!

If you find the rules here are too confining, try the Morning Blog.

YOU MAY ONLY POST COMMENTS HERE IF:

THEY ARE OFF TOPIC, TO POST LINKS TO ARTICLES, TO COMMENT, TO SAY HELLO, TO HAVE A DIALOG, TO POST A VIDEO, TO PLAY, TO ASK QUESTIONS, TO HAVE OPINIONS, TO DISCUSS, TO POST KITTIES/PUPPIES/CARTOONS, TO TELL JOKES AND STORIES,

AND A BUNCH OF OTHER STUFF I CAN’T THINK OF RIGHT NOW.

BUT ABSOLUTELY, NO SPITTING, EYE GOUGING OR HITTING ABOVE OR BELOW THE BELT!!

You know the rules, now follow them! Please?

Every so often I intrude TO/OT with a personal pick of a site that I find important that I feel needs to be shared and not lost in the shuffle of the constant flow of thoughts on The Planet.

And yet with globalization, we seem to have developed a strange apprehension about the efficacy of our ability to apply the innovation and hard work necessary to successfully compete in a complex security and economic environment. Further, we have misunderstood interdependence as a weakness rather than recognizing it as a strength. The key to sustaining our competitive edge, at home or on the world stage, is credibility — and credibility is a difficult capital to foster. It cannot be won through intimidation and threat, it cannot be sustained through protectionism or exclusion. Credibility requires engagement, strength, and reliability — imaginatively applied through the national tools of development, diplomacy, and defense.

The Y Article

A National Security Narrative

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

H/T AB

Written by bito

Was once a handsome frog until kissed by an ugly corporate princess.----- Like a well honed knife, the internet can be a wonderful and useful tool. It can be used to prepare and serve a delicious meal or it can be used to cause harm. peace

7,681 Responses so far.

1. Nirek says:

Does anyone know where Monica is? Is she okay?
    I miss her and others.

2. Nirek says:

So Congress is looking into the non profit status of the NFL and other sports.
    It sure seems wrong for them to be treated like a non profit when they pay their commissioner forty million $ a year.

3. Haruko Haruhara says:

There is a humour writer I like called Tbogg and he has been having a lot of fun all day tweeting about Ted Cruz.

TBogg@tbogg

If Ted Cruz was serious about the evangelical vote he would have handled a snake, spoken in tongues, and levitated for the crowd. #RINO

TBogg@tbogg

If you are taking a shot every time Cruz invokes God or Jesus, you
    probably have alcohol poisoning and will be seeing both of them soon.

4. Haruko Haruhara says:

Test!

I am not a spammer!!

phew … worked!

• pinkpantheroz says:

Neither am I! ( took long enough to fix!)

It’s like this ppo, it took a lot of time to figure out what was causing the problem so we could attempt to fix it. Then just as much time and sleepless nights trying to get back to some kind of normal. As it stands now, any new or unfamiliar IP address will be blocked the first time, and we will unblock it as soon as we can.

We are sorry for any inconvenience and ask for your patience. Soon we will have you all covered so that it won’t happen again.

Thanks.

• Haruko Haruhara says:

I got locked out and told my email address is a spam address. :(

Haruko, thanks for letting us know. That issue should be resolved now, you should be able to login as usual. Please let us know if that’s not the case!

• pinkpantheroz says:

Haruko, there’s a bypass that works. When you go into POV first, don’t try to login on the front page. Go to anyone’s post and press the ‘login to reply’ button. When the login page appears, it will have that anti-bot line. sign in and do the math, then you should be OK. Works for me.

ppo -- We’ve made some big adjustments, you should be able to login without any issue now. Please let us know if there are any more issues. Thanks!

Ppo, if I may make a suggestion, please Login at the bottom far right column of our FP where it says “Links for …” because when you don’t we get “undefined” instead of your “Username” to match to your IP, and it makes it more difficult to know who you are. Everyone who has been posting in the last two weeks, now has their IP in our White List and will no longer be blocked.

Thanks.

Hi ppo, yes it says META, sorry. I just checked the login and you are logging in ok with your Username.

I just logged out to test it and got the add up thingy to prove I’m not a bot four times and I’m admin. Will send the screenshot to AdLib to see what can be tweaked to fix it. Be brave, we will have a solution soon.

• pinkpantheroz says:

hi, Kalima,

Sorry but this is getting bigger than Ben-Hur!

Now that i am signed in, I see the bottom right hand box with ‘Links to”. BUT, when I bring up POV from scratch, that box is labeled META. AND, I’m still unable to use that login area. So I’ll use my get-around for now. Hope this helps diagnose things.

5. Haruko Haruhara says:

How frightening is it that Ted Cruz chooses to announce his candidacy at Liberty University. Of all the places to make his announcement, an extremist Christian college is where he does it.

I’ve been making this running joke that Ted Cruz really reminds me of Damien from “The Omen 3.” Check this out … it’s scary!!

Ted%20Cruz%20damien2_zpskrrdwwc0.jpg

• choicelady says:

Oh not at all! This is the perfect place to show how outside the mainstream he is. I’m SO grateful to him for showing his true self right at the git-go. No hiding, pretending to be mainstream. Nope -- he’s a Dominionist through and through. It’s right out there for all to see.

6. funksands says:

Did you know that since 1998 the United States has issued $719 TRILLION dollars worth of debt…

And has repaid all but $18 Trillion of it…

Which means that old people, poor people, sick people, roads, bridges, and the middle class must be sacrificed….

On the altar of All We Can Afford Is the Next War.

7. funksands says:

Really great piece from Salon

The 1 percent rigged everything: Why no one can end Ronald Reagan’s “dead wrong” voodoo economics

They’ve put out some really really good stuff lately.

funk, I thought this was a very interesting paragraph from that article:

He made the same point again, about the failure to contest fundamentals, with a slightly different emphasis and explanation. “The problem with our politics is President Obama and the people who surround him, don’t represent an alternative to trickle down economics, they are trickle-down-lite,” Hanauer told me. “They’re sort of kinder-and-gentler trickle-down economics. They can talk a little bit about the importance of the middle class, but, in my opinion, they haven’t quite seen clearly that they’ve gotten cause-and-effect reversed. They still think that a thriving middle class is an effect of growth, a consequence of growth, and the truth is in a technological, modern economy, a thriving middle class is the cause of growth…. The middle class creates rich people, not the other way around.”

And down on Old MacDonald’s Farm, on hearing the news, the chicks said chick chick, the cows said moo moo, the ducks said quack quack, the dog said bow wow and the pigs never looked up from their feeding troughs. Oink oink!! E-I-E-I-O!

Please close your eyes and cover your ears while I expectorate.

—-

Ted Cruz announces he’s running for president

—-

THE TRUTH BEHIND TED CRUZ’S LIES

9. pinkpantheroz says:

For those Planeteers who love the old Black & White movies, John Ford and my Dad( :) ), here’s a little known opus from The Great Man, introduced by Tyrone Power. It’s a trilogy of vignettes. Apologies for the Spanish subtitles, the lack of lip synch and the quality. Maybe you could find it elsewhere, but here goes:

This is Part 1. Parts 2-4 are on YouTube.

10. agrippa says:

I think that one of the root causes of the problems of American politics is the general public.

Far too many are: uninformed, disengaged and uneducated about politics, history and current events.
    Far too many do not bother to register to vote, and those that do not bother to vote.
    There are other causes; but, I think that the above is very important.

I do not see that is going to change.

• pinkpantheroz says:

Agrippa, you’re absolutely right. You’ve hit one major point on the head. It is in the interests of the rich and powerful to keep the swarming masses uneducated, ignorant and easy to manipulate. The denial of education, voting rights and fear mongering are their tools of trade. Media is slanted to the masses by featuring most major sports on cable, and the ‘News’ there. So the insidious propaganda about ‘freedoms’ spreads, but any actual information, which might educate, is simply not there.
      I think that being a citizen of a country like the US is a privilege, and it should come with a corresponding responsibility, which is, every 2 years to go to a polling booth and vote. It should be, as in other Democratic countries, obligatory. If this were made law, then voting rights would be automatically enshrined and heavy penalties levied on those who try to negate that right. Everyone of appropriate age in the US should be, not only able to vote, but obliged to do so. It is a tiny obligation in return for the greatness that is the USA. Then might the geniune ‘Freedoms’ be available to all.

• agrippa says:

Well said.
        There are more than a few of the elite who think that the ‘great unwashed’ should not vote. That is a rationale of all the voter ID laws. The great unwashed are there to defer and to obey. The elite have a right to rule and to gain praise and honors. It is very old idea.

We get these low quality elected officials because the office seekers want the praise and honors; not to do public service.
        And, because ordinary people of ambition and talent avoid politics and seek to excel elsewhere, makes it easier for mediocrity to gain office.

11. Nirek says:

I think it is time for America to stop giving billions to Isreal. To stop selling arms to any country. Maybe even start destroying any weapons that we can get hold of.

These are the people who so readily pass judgment on others. At least this one resigned.

—-

Aaron Schock resigns after new questions about mileage expenses

13. http://news.yahoo.com/ted-cruz-world-is-on-fire-3-year-old-girl-new-hampshire-video-185928147.html

Wow, Ted Cruz couldn’t even frighten a 3 year old girl! The adult baggers, however, were soiling their UnderRoos!

Sponsors