KillgoreTrout On December - 1 - 2012

This week’s music thread is about songs that make you smile, chuckle or laugh out loud. They say laughter is the best medicine, but after the election, we don’t really need the medicine. Now that business is back to usual in DC, a laugh or two certainly wouldn’t hurt.

So, pick the songs that make you smile, songs about anything that gives you a laugh. Songs about happiness. Songs with the words smile, or laugh or laughter in the title or lyrics, or just songs that make you feel good.

Categories: Music, Music Thread

Written by KillgoreTrout

Once a wander, working vagabond, fellow traveler on this 3rd stone from the sun. Hurtling through space and time. Lover of books (especially the classics), all kinds of books from novels, poetry, essay collections, fiction and nonfiction and a big Kurt Vonnegut fan. I am a secular humanist and technically an atheist.....Taoist.

1. Roger Miller--You Can’t Roller Skate In A Buffalo Herd;

2. AlphaBitch says:

And for you guys, the double Ks -- KT and KQ: Junior Brown “My Wife Thinks You’re Dead”. Texas. ‘Nuff said.

3. This always puts a smile on my face.

Seattle Men’s Chorus -- “Every Sperm is Sacred”

• AlphaBitch says:

…and on mine! Just to think -- I lived in Seattle for a decade, and I have never once heard that ditty. BTW: The “spermterpator” was absolutely hysterical!

Thanks, KQ. Just woke up and found this gem. Now there’s a smile on my face, too!

4. I guess I have a dark sense of humor, save for all the Flight of the Concorde type song parodies.

The Mountain Goats -- No Children

5. LFer says:

Here is National Lampoon’s John Lennon parody.

Magical Misery Tour

6. LFer says:

Dead Skunk -- Loudon Wainwright 3rd

7. LFer says:

This one always amused me.

Crash Test Dummies -- Superman’s Song

Pride and Joy -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

Have a Cigar -- Pink Floyd

Sunshine, Lollipops and Rainbows -- Leslie Gore

Do You Believe in Magic -- Lovin’ Spoonful

Daydream Believer -- The Monkees

Great theme, Killgore! Here’s a few that come right to mind:

Happy -- Rolling Stones

Mr. Blue Sky -- ELO

Smile -- Charlie Chaplin

I Feel Good -- James Brown

Sponsors
  • Speakers Corner

• At the Movies in the White House WH Screening Room

With all of the hoopla surrounding the films screened in the Obama White House, I got curious about what the past presidents watched. What follows is by no means complete, but an interesting bit of history.

• The 100 Foot Journey 220px-The_Hundred_Foot_Journey_(film)_poster

The film is a truly great mixture of drama, resistance to the forces of politics, the adroit combination comedy, and love story, in a culinary battle for the utmost Michilin Star rating for an established French fine dining enterprise that is a mere 100 feet apart from a brand new (to the village) Indian restaraunt.