AdLib On January - 8 - 2011

Democratic Representative, Gabrielle Giffords of Arizona was shot in the head today and approximately 24 others were shot and/or injured when an assailant opened fire outside a grocery store as the Democratic lawmaker met with constituents. Six people were killed including a judge, one of Giffords’ aides and a nine year old girl.

A doctor spoke on Giffords’ status, she is out of surgery and he expressed optimism that she could recover.

The assailant has been identified as Jared Loughner, a 22 year old white male.

As of this time we don’t have enough details to say categorically what many of us suspect may have driven this man to this shooting rampage.

He could just be insane and not influenced by the voices of hate on the right. He could have had a motivation that was not political. It is not wise to prematurely come to any conclusions no matter how likely they may seem.

However, in the environment of intolerance, hate, threats of gun violence and “2nd Amendment remedies” all coming from the Right, if this has contributed in any way to this tragedy, we must go after those who have been pushing people to violence as being accessories.

Add this event to this week’s mailing of firebombs to Janet Napalitano, the variety of domestic terrorist attacks and plots over the last two years, the endless death threats against Dem politicians including President Obama and the continuing obsession with proliferating guns throughout the U.S., promoting the legal right to carry them nearly anywhere.

It would be prudent to refrain from political declarations about this incident until the facts are known but if our fears are confirmed, this needs to be the moment we step up and say “Enough!”

Enough open hatred and racism, enough intolerance of those with opposing views, enough MSM exploitation of the most extreme and vicious views, enough demagoguery of Democrats as traitors, destroying this nation and being dangerous enemies of freedom and democracy. Enough preying on the fears and prejudices of Americans.

Enough of this cynical game being used by corporations and the wealthy to keep the population at each other’s throats so they can steal more of our nation’s wealth and democracy without a unified citizenry blocking their way.

Enough.

There are many Republicans I dislike but I do not hate any of them. I have never and would never advocate violence against them. I would much rather see them debated and exposed. I believe in the 1st Amendment, I don’t want them silenced but I do want their dishonesty and hypocrisy revealed when practiced.

The cold, mercenary strategy of the GOP and the Kochs and the banks and the corporations, etc., is instability for all except them. Destabilize our democracy, our standard of living, our economy and government itself. Then, there is no institutional challenge to their power and control.

If this turns out to be a case where a mentally unstable person was manipulated by the campaign of these people, we have a choice to either let this be the rallying cry against this deterioration of our society or else see more of these horrific acts of domestic terrorism multiply to the accompaniment of Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh, Karl Rove, Fox News and the rest of this insidious chorus.

1. Questinia says:

The GOP may have you, Sarah Palin, but we have Betty White and….

[img][/img]

2. bito says:

That’s what I believe, in part because that’s what a child like Christina Taylor Green believed. Imagine: here was a young girl who was just becoming aware of our democracy; just beginning to understand the obligations of citizenship; just starting to glimpse the fact that someday she too might play a part in shaping her nation’s future. She had been elected to her student council; she saw public service as something exciting, something hopeful. She was off to meet her congresswoman, someone she was sure was good and important and might be a role model. She saw all this through the eyes of a child, undimmed by the cynicism or vitriol that we adults all too often just take for granted.

I want us to live up to her expectations. I want our democracy to be as good as she imagined it. All of us -- we should do everything we can to make sure this country lives up to our children’s expectations.

3. bito says:

After all, that’s what most of us do when we lose someone in our family -- especially if the loss is unexpected. We’re shaken from our routines, and forced to look inward. We reflect on the past. Did we spend enough time with an aging parent, we wonder. Did we express our gratitude for all the sacrifices they made for us? Did we tell a spouse just how desperately we loved them, not just once in awhile but every single day?

I tried I think. I wrote a poem in my darkest hour after I lost my mother, it’s here somewhere, if I find it I’ll post it. It’s normal to think this way bito, to question ourselves if we did enough, often we did and this is just a normal step in our grief process.

• Chernynkaya says:

Kalima, if I may, and I really hope you can find that poem, you inspired my to share the poem I wrote when my mother died. I hope you dont mind, please excuse me. (I haven’t looked at it since then.)

Watching the Breath (4/25/98)

She inhaled
        and exhaled laboriously
        slower, shallower
        with each breath laying there
        so still only her chest moving,
        eyes closed but
        for the last sixteenth of an inch.

Slower, shallower, slower pause
        shallower pause shallower pause
        slow
        pause pause
        shallower. For 2 hours.

Quiet ocean here at noon.
        Her brows knit gently
        for a second but
        I smooth them with a palm.

Then she opened her eyes heavy
        eyelids floating up up like feathers and
        she stared up up for
        a moment her pupils
        black as infinity.

(What? What? Mommy? Yes?)
        Lids now falling like silk closed but
        for that last dire sixteenth of an inch.

Slower, slow I entrain my breath
        with hers shallower shallow!
        Watching the waves trying to see
        the breath come in go out.

A little spittle of sea
        foam froths on the sand
        of her lips. This last bit
        of tide I wipe away
        with my shirt.

Pause, pause pause then
        slow and shallow pause
        pause
        pause
        pause
        pause
        then shallow, then

dry.

I did not believe him.

The Messenger of Death danced through today
          Singing songs of emancipation
          I held my breath, just blinked an eye
          As he took you away from me,
          Silence.

Hopes of finding something lost
          The sound of your voice
          The warmth of your laughter
          The hand to soothe my tears,
          Only silence now.

Falling into obscurity, not you just I
          Entry into an uncertain space to fill
          But how?
          Only silence.

Do the years really heal my friend
          There will never be enough years,
          Only silence.

This shattering scream rings in my ears
          It is my own,
          Only silence.

In these dreams you come so near
          And I’m afraid to make a sound in case
          My pounding heart should take you away again,.
          Silence

And so, the Messenger of Death danced through today
          Singing songs of emancipation
          I did not believe him
          Now only my silence and I prevail.

—-

I feel as if I’m caught in one of those running naked in the street dreams. 😳

• Chernynkaya says:

Kalima-- I just re-read your poem and saw the edit you added at the end. If there was ever a safe place to put up our poems, this place is it! Besides-- and this I sincerely believe-- it is only the most personal that is the most universal.

EDIT: Besides, it’s late and no one else is watching. 😉

I know exactly how you feel Cher, that was how much we loved, and it is a shattering experience equal to very few. Even the loss of my own child would have to be up there with the loss I felt with her gone.

I had her headstone engraved with these words.

“Her life a beautiful memory.

Her absence a silent grief.”

It seemed the simplest way to say it.

• Chernynkaya says:

That day is with me too, always. But looking at the poem again was well, it’s hard to describe. I am back there now. I can never express how shattering.

Oh I know it’s safe, it just surprised me that it could bring me back to the day of her funeral, which was when I wrote it. I had had no time to cry before that, my father was devastated, I had to organize the funeral and everything that went with it by myself. I was doing ok, a bit wobbly after her Mass, then when it came to the time to throw a handful of earth on her coffin, I almost jumped in, my sister caught me. After the guests had left our house, and my father was safely in bed, I held the cats, one mine, and wrote this at the kitchen table heaving just dry sobs. It wasn’t until I was back in Tokyo that I could finally cry. I cried everywhere, and suddenly, out of the blue. It was an oddly healing time for me to finally be able to cry.

• Chernynkaya says:

Kalima, so painful and beautiful. The “silence” was so loud, as I recall it. Actually roaring in my ears. The years haven’t healed for me.

I think tonight is the appropriate night to remember our past pain as we face another pain.

Yes it is Cher, and “time heals” has somehow never really worked for me, my past memories are very vivid still.

The “silence”is very deafening.

Cher I thanks you for sharing that very private moment. I am deeply touched and so very in tune with your intimate words your grief brought out of you. If you don’t mind I have copied this to keep with mine when I find it. Although we all have slightly different experiences at this, what we feel in our hearts is the same. Thank you.

I’ve been hunting for it, when I find it, I’ll post it under your’s if you won’t mind, before the thread grows larger, and we will be forced to search endlessly.

My house is a great mystery to me, I’ve been searching endlessly for things that i would never throw away for years now. This is now my project until I find them, I’ll let you know when I do.

• Mightywoof says:

When my Mum was alive we’d speak on the phone every week; before she died I got really tied up in something that now seems very unimportant but I kept telling myself ‘oh, I must remember to call Mum today’ -- but I didn’t and then she died suddenly and to this day it haunts me that I didn’t call because I was too busy. So, yeah, tell your loved ones how much you love them every single moment of every day for as long as you live before it’s too late to do so.

I’m sorry Mw, and yes it will haunt us, as it did with a friend of mine who died from complications from AIDs. I was supposed to call him in the hospital where he was battling pneumonia, I tried for hours to connect, and fell asleep with the phone still in my hand. In my early morning the phone woke me, it was his mother telling me that he had died just a few hours before. I didn’t get to say goodbye, it never leaves the back of my mind.

• Mightywoof says:

The sticks we find to beat oursaelves with, eh?? I’m sure your friend, like my Mum, knew how much you cared and loved him. They would forgive us -- if only we could forgive ourselves!

[img]http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS4Whuy_omZb0Lr_-X1ToOezWyZMnlGam62Ps32OEXqKF4R-LDqHg[/img]

4. AlphaBitch says:

Obama’s tribute left me both humbled and proud. I will rise to the challenge of attempting to be a better, not bitter, person. And to sit with my Alpha Pup, the young man who has seen so much tragedy in his lifetime in a country that witnesses horrors like this and worse much more frequently than we see here, left me proud to be from this country, at this time, with this President.

Like Bito, I have tears in my eyes. But I have a smile in my heart.

Good night, lovely and good friends. Sleep peacefully. -- AB

5. Chernynkaya says:

I started tearing up when the orchestra Played Copeland’s “Fanfare for the Common Man.”

6. bito says:

Didn’t take long.
    Conservatives Criticize Free T-Shirts At Tucson Memorial Service

These people are as bad as Fred Phelps. It was a memorial for people who were murdered!! STFU for one day, one hour!!

“Widen the circle of our concern…” A phrase spoken by Obama in this speech and being analyzed by Rachel Maddow and Rev. Weldon Gaddy now.

What a notion. Not circling the wagons and going into defensive, exclusive mode. Not fearing the “other,” and recognizing the needs of “me and mine” only. Widening the circle.

Rev. Gaddy’s last word: “If Gabby opened her eyes today, maybe we can, too.”

It’s imagery is simple and profound. The circle I am told was also part of the Indian ceremony (I’m assuming to the four directions, I didn’t see it).

• bito says:

“At a time when our discourse has become so sharply polarized — at a time when we are far too eager to lay the blame for all that ails the world at the feet of those who think differently than we do — it’s important for us to pause for a moment and make sure that we’re talking with each other in a way that heals, not in a way that wounds,”

8. bito says:

“If Gabby opened her eyes, maybe we can too”

9. bito says:

A few years ago, Gabby’s spokesperson attempted to get everyone to use her full name, not use Gabby--didn’t work! :-)

10. bito says:

I’m glad I watched this alone and not in public. It was a tearjerker for me.

It was just brilliant. I’m gonna have to read that transcript.

…But they can’t stop once, the trolls. “Why the cheering at the university, is he holding a pep rally?, it’s not solemn… blah blah blah”. I just deleted them. I wasn’t having it. This was personal.

I know you don’t care about trolls, I’m just giving you a hint of what to expect tomorrow from the hatepundits.

Bottom line is this:

Do you even remember Sarah’s fumbling attempt at acting presidential earlier after today that?

This is what a true leader is.

But I missed the Indian ceremony. What was that like? Were they local tribes?

The only blogger I still read on HP.

“Sarah Palin Fumbles and Flails Into an Otherwise Solemn Day”

Wow, Kalima. Cesca was furious and it comes through loud and clear. Pull punches, he does not!

Whenever she parades her white-trashy reality show attitude into public view, it’s an ongoing display of ridiculousness, unrivaled in decades. But today, she veered far from her usual flailing, and jutted her screechy yapper into the wrong news cycle — on a day when she would have been better served by exercising some self control. On a day when the victims of Tucson will be memorialized and the heroes of Tucson will be elevated to historical prominence, it’s no time for a cable TV doof to inject her brand of political masturbation.

Ultimately, her nincompoopery and fumbly ignorance was completely eclipsed today by her reprehensible tastelessness, proved by the ill-considered timing of her video, and, even worse, by her unforgivable lack of deference to the men and women who have more than earned our attention for at least one uninterrupted day. We can only hope the embarrassment she’s enduring as a consequence of today’s gaffe-parade will dissuade her from doing it again.

He speaks the truth, and I respect the man for that. He might not be quite as refined as Tomasky, but still, he doesn’t mince his words either. I found it refreshing, will AH?

The phrase “jutted her screechy yapper” was priceless, Kalima.

I know our president just called upon us to take the high road, so I’ll try not to use that phrase in public. 😳 But its eloquence is undeniable.

12. Chernynkaya says:

Oh! just noticed-looks like I predicted it 2 days ago too (although it was obvious):

I heard a discussion that rang true: It’s not even the actual rhetoric that is so destructive to our society, as much as the underlying white-hot heat. Old timers remembered heavy political rhetoric from the past but not the intense anger concurrent with it, and THAT’S what feels different now.

These haters know it, know they are being condemned. That makes their fears more real: The government will take away our guns! They will stop our God-given free speech! They cannot silence us! So, for now, they feel justified in their sense of victimhood as cheated whites. Until their leaders step up to the plate and, over time, try to calm down their followers, these folk will be even angrier and feel more aggrieved.

But in the end, these regressives won’t get what they want from the Repub Party, because corporations don’t care about the wedge issues they themselves stoked. They only care about less regulation, lower taxes and minuscule government. It might no longer serve corporate interests to have people so focused on their divisive methods, on their hate-flaming–they are slimy creatures who need the dark to operate effectively.

13. Chernynkaya says:

Mightywoof called it 2 days ago:

01/10/2011 at 7:05 AM

I’m glad I watched right through to the end Patsy – I was getting hotter and hotterer under the collar I’m not wearing :)

I’ve been reading so much in the last couple of days about this massacre and I’m horrified that the call to cool the political rhetoric has served only to fan the flames – the rw is defensive but are getting their memes out there (one I’ve come across in several sites is ‘blood libel’ – whatever the hell that’s supposed to mean) and the lw is getting angry that the rw just doesn’t get it. In all this the tragedy of what happened has been forgotten and the fight goes on.