bito On March - 1 - 2010

During the day, do you read a story and you feel it is worth sharing?  Where to place it? I don’t like to disrupt someone’s thread or thoughtful post and it is not worthy of posting a lengthy article, do you?  Let’s try to leave this up in speakers corner and we can share some news!

From the Afghan  Women’s Writing Project

Colorful Days after Black Nights”

I remember the Taliban were searching houses ten times a day with different groups to find a book, cassette, picture, TV, or video game. If they found any of these, they shot the whole family. After we returned home, my mom burned books that my older sister and brother had collected over many years. She burned most of the books in our mud-brick oven, then threw the rest away in sacks very far from the house so the Taliban would not know they were ours. My heart was broken and I was at a loss……

I wove carpets for four years and forgot everything about studying or getting an education. We were stuck at home, and never allowed to go outside. When the Taliban were removed from power in Afghanistan after almost five years, most of the schools eventually reopened. My siblings returned to school, but I did not, because I was so afraid of everyone, still thinking that Taliban were close.

Read More…..

Related articles
Categories: Time Out for OT

Written by bito

Was once a handsome frog until kissed by an ugly corporate princess.----- Like a well honed knife, the internet can be a wonderful and useful tool. It can be used to prepare and serve a delicious meal or it can be used to cause harm. peace

1,267 Responses so far.

1. bitohistory says:

😎 Cool Khirad, Tucson made the big big sort’a big, big times!
    We’re # 8, We’re #8!!
    “Tucson ranks high on ‘crazy cities’ list”

At one point or another everyone in Tucson has muttered, yelled or even just thought this city is crazy.
    Now there’s proof.

2. javaz says:

B’ito!!!

We lived in France for 2 years, and here’s the link to prove that I’m not telling a fib!!!

Google it, as there are more sites, and I’ve often wondered if the Belgium Tintin et Milou were made in Rin Tin Tin name, since Rin Tin Tin was a rescue dog from World War I and brought back here.

Rin Tin Tin died in Jean Harlow’s arms, and he was originally buried here, but then sent back to France, where he was born.

I’m not fibbing about this, b’ito!

I didn’t know it either until we lived in Paris.

Le cimeti

• bitohistory says:

j’avaz, I never doubted you, poor Riney. Such is life.
      Wish you had cable, JD is going to on Rachels tonight.!!!! Hope she shows the nation what a….. he is.

Watched it. Hey everyone who saw Rachel -- now do you believe us about Arizona?! 😆

• bitohistory says:

Khirad, “I was only the ninth biggest thief on the list.” 😆

My god. This may be 4th grade of me, but buttface never seems more apropos than when speaking of J.D.

He’s not even a very good liar. He reminds me of a pushy used car salesman or a certain type of washed-up community college football coach (no offense to any of them, actually) or something.

Khirad,

That is perfect! And now “Your US Senator….

• javaz says:

God save me from what’s left of my sanity!

I do not think there is another race that proves how we vote for the lesser of 2 evils than the race between JD and McCain.

Of course, you and I cannot vote in that primary, right?

Did you know that my husband and I re-registered from Independents to Democrats because we did not have open elections, and we just found out that we do!

That had to have happened while we were gone from the country.

When we were registered Independents, we could never vote in the primaries.

When did it change, do you know?

• bitohistory says:

I don’t recall when it changed, but if you were an independent and wanted to vote in a primary, you had to declare yourself a member of that party. If you wanted to change back to independent you had to re-register. Whew!!!
          This year the R’s want to close the primary. You are either an R or not.
          Who knows what this crew in Phoenix will do. It wouldn’t surprise me if they tried to make the Democratic Party illegal.

I just heard to day that they didn’t just suspend funding for kids health care, they killed it.
          It has to have another law passed to reinstate it. How many kids dying/deaths will it take?

I must admit I’m not up on this, and am really embarrassed! We had an open presidential primary, but yes, there is the GOP move regarding registered Indies.

I guess it never came up for me. In Washington there is no registration for parties (along with Louisiana) and I was more than happy to finally carry a card saying “registered Democrat” when moving to Arizona.

3. javaz says:

Just found out that one of my bosses from Honeywell died, and this guy was my second boss after moving here.

Sheesh, I admire Jeff Phelps, and he was 79 years old when he died, and have no idea what he died from, but that guy, I want to live like he did!

Jeff, honest to God, never gave a crap what anyone thought of him.

He was a hard drinker, heavy smoker and a character.

He was rough and gruff, and complained about bleeding heart liberals, but he was likable.

He was also a womanizer, and flirted with every and any woman, but I liked him, even if he was a Republican.

The man had no shame, and I do admire that quality.

He was married for over 50 years to a woman he’d known all his life, and she died 2 years ago, but she was also a heavy drinker and smoker, and when they drank, they used to fight.

They liked going to a local bar in their area, and it got so bad with them fighting that the bar wouldn’t allow them in the bar at the same time, so they did shifts -- LOL -- and Jeff had no problem telling people that!

LMAO

He was honest with who he was, and he was a Korean War Veteran, and at one time a very good engineer, but by the time I got to Honeywell, Jeff was a major fuck-off without apology, and he was a boss.

That’s what big corporations did with fuck-offs back then, they either made them a boss or gave them some other position, and we saw it time and time again, and yes, when you work there, it causes problems with those of us who do the actual work, but that was life.

All that changed, of course, during all the downsizing, but I never held it against Jeff, and now that I’ve been out of the workforce for so long, I don’t hold it against any of the fuck-offs.
    Most of them were laid off or retired.

If you think that you’ve done things in your life when you’ve been drunk that you should regret, just remember Jeff Phelps, because he did it all and he never felt bad for any damn thing. In fact, he’d brag about it and that is the truth.

And that is the truth.

I admire him and am going to strive to live as he did -- live to the fullest without regret and fuck everyone else!

LMAO

Seriously, that is how Jeff Phelps lived and I’ve never met another person like him.

He will be missed.

(excuse my language, but that is in memory of Jeff Phelps!)

4. bitohistory says:

Who was Peter Graves (R.I.P.) brother? How did they make the smoke come out of the Tape Recorder? And “have you ever seen a grown man naked , Bobby?”
    Nice little piece on Peter Graves in the memory of his passing.

A guy was hiding under the table smoking furiously, blowing smoke into a hollow tape recorder with a hole on top? Dry ice?

Ok I give up. :(

• javaz says:

James Arness, is that it? The guy from Gunsmoke, right?

That’s the only one I know, b’ito, without cheating.

Am I right?

Do I win a prize for knowing one of the answers?

Oh, hope it’s one of the jellies from the jelly of the month club!

😆

I can’t even eat jelly because I’m a diabetic . . . LMAO -- well, I can eat sugarless jelly, but there’s only been one brand that Basha’s sold that didn’t have that bitter taste, and Basha’s discontinued it, dammit.

• bitohistory says:

Ok j’avaz/Kalima, you both got them right. James Arness and cigarette smoke!!! But, have you ever seen a grown man naked?
        😆

• javaz says:

Have I ever seen a grown man naked?

LMAO

I’m married, aren’t I?

Oh wait, you didn’t mean that that way -- um, have no idea -- is it from Airplane?

Every bloody morning, streaking through the house. 😆

Full moon anyone?

Who’s Bobby?

• bitohistory says:

Bobby was the little kid in Airplane.

• bitohistory says:

Yes, that’s from “Airplane” Captain Ourver. Do you remember the program “Fury”?
            Graves’ first television series was the children’s Saturday morning show Fury, about an orphan and his untamed black stallion. Filmed in Australia, it lasted six years on NBC.

I used to watch that!

• javaz says:

No, I don’t remember that, or maybe I do now that you’ve mentioned it, but whoa, b’ito, that’s going way back.

Do you remember every Saturday morning watching all the westerns in black and white -- Trigger and Roy Rogers, and Lassie and Rin Tin Tin, and did you know that Rin Tin Tin is buried in France? In the same cemetery as Morrison and lots of famous French people?

I’m gonna butt in here and say “Sky King”—or at least, that’s what Mom told me!

😀

• bitohistory says:

Rin Tin Tin buried in France?!? Lordy, j’avaz, I used to believe you! Now I think your puling my leg. 😆 😆
              How about Sky Walker(?) (with his daughter Penny)?
              Bet you don’t remember that one!

No, I think you must be talking to javaz.

5. javaz says:

Kalima ~waves to Kalima from over here~

I followed your advice about sending a card to my late-brother’s partner and he called me last Friday.

He’s grieving so, and he is an older gentleman, but we had a very nice talk for about 40 minutes.

I know from losing our daughter that most people dislike hearing about the deceased or dealing with tears, so I stayed with him and let him cry and talk and I listened and tried offering words of comfort, but I think that was the right thing to do.

He seemed touched that I cared and am thinking about him, because things between us, well, that’s all water under the bridge now.

I just wanted to let you know that your advice was excellent and I thank you once again for listening to me.

That’s great news javaz, I’m happy for you. A little kindness really does go a long way. Well done, you made a difference and should feel good about yourself. :)

You are very welcome but you made the decision after all, the credit is all yours.

6. javaz says:

Oh sheesh, another wingnut-paranoid-birther and the attorney general of Virginia!

Virginia Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli (R-VA) has positioned himself as the leader of a state-based movement on the right to invalidate key progressive reforms. Announcing a lawsuit to undermine the Environmental Protection Agency

7. bitohistory says:

Interesting look at “Hot Button Issues.” the MSM seems to follow this line to the T. “Let’s keep it shallow, Keep it down to a bumper sticker/soundbite” mentality.

…..everyone has some personal expertise on sex and love and health, so they are more willing to venture and defend a strong opinion on this subject……..You certainly see this in the health care debate, where the very small difference between the House and Senate about how to treat abortion coverage has garned vastly more attention than the difference between nationwide insurance exchanges and state-run insurance exchanges

• SueInCa says:

Bito OT was a great idea of yours. It is the perfect place to add tidbits or breaking news without having to write a post. Just thought I would mention it.

• bitohistory says:

Thanks Sue, It is handy, I learn a lot here from so many posts. Now where did that idea come from, and why does it strike me so rarely? 😉

• SueInCa says:

Well at least you had one stroke of genious. I am sure there is more hidden in your brain. Relax, breath in, breath out, see it is coming to you.

8. javaz says:

Howell Raines has an interesting point concerning FOX and the MSM and Joe Strupp of media-matters wonders if he’s right --

“Through clever use of the Fox News Channel and its cadre of raucous commentators, [Roger] Ailes has overturned standards of fairness and objectivity that have guided American print and broadcast journalists since World War II. Yet, many members of my profession seem to stand by in silence as Ailes tears up the rulebook that served this country well as we covered the major stories of the past three generations, from the civil rights revolution to Watergate to the Wall Street scandals,” Raines writes. “This is not a liberal-versus-conservative issue. It is a matter of Fox turning reality on its head with, among other tactics, its endless repetition of its uber-lie: ‘The American people do not want health-care reform.'”

• SueInCa says:

The Washington Posts coverage and investigative journalism was responsible for breaking the Watergate scandal wide open. We just don’t seem to have much of that except for maybe Greg Palast. The emphasis is on speed and ratings so not much is done except regurgitating the info on the wires.

9. javaz says:

B’ito, have you heard about the horse that’s stranded on a sandbar on the Gila River?

I sure hope this has a happy ending.

BUCKEYE — For three days, a horse named Colorado has been stranded on a sand bar in the Gila River after he and two other horses, along with three riders, were swept away Friday afternoon southwest of the Valley. A special harness that will hopefully allow rescuers to air-lift the horse to safety.is being brought in from Los Angeles.

• bitohistory says:

j’avaz. I saw something on the tube, but I wasn’t paying attention. I didn’t know it was the Gila (Phoenix state line 😉 ) Thanks for the link.

Good Morning j’avaz. Now to figure out when my radio/TV programs are on and what time it is at my sisters. Indiana is more screwed up than AZ on their time changes.

• javaz says:

The owner of the horse was on earlier this morning and he was crying because he’s really worried about his horse, but I guess if JD Hayworth is correct, the owner, feeling so close to his horse, would be able to marry it if the federal government approves gay marriage!

“I guess that would mean if you really had affection for your horse, I guess you could marry your horse.”

The former Republican congressman then insisted that the “only way” to prevent men from marrying horses is to create a federal marriage amendment. Hayworth noted that he supports such an amendment.

I think Michigan is now 3 hours ahead of us and I do believe we are on the same time now as California.

Indiana has more than one time zone, right?
        Some areas do not do daylight’s savings time.
        I think you could google that.

That’s one good thing about Arizona is that we never change time!

• bitohistory says:

J’avaz, the Navajo Nation in AZ does go on DST., So if you live up in that corner or have to call there keep that in mind.
          I know I could search for what the time is where she lives, But I would rather just bitch. 😆

Can You imagine JD in the senate? What a buffoon!! I don’t like McCain, but at least he is not an embarr-ass-ment.

10. nellie says:

Student-Loan Bill Begins Showdown Week

The push for student-loan legislation, carrying the potential of billions of additional dollars for higher education, enters its showdown week with the expected release Monday of a new official cost estimate that may help determine its fate.

The legislation would end the bank-based system of distributing federal student loans and channel the savings into Pell Grants and other education programs. Democratic leaders in Congress, after months of waiting, are preparing to combine it with their equally long-awaited health-care legislation in a maneuver they hope will win enough votes to pass both measures by the end of this week or early next week.

The article makes a good case for keeping this provision in the health care bill.

“It is clear that in this poisoned political climate,” said Richard T. Williams, a higher-education lobbyist at the U.S. Public Interest Research Group, a consumer-advocacy organization, “there will be no second chance to pass the student-aid bill if it is not included” with the health-care bill in a single package.

• bitohistory says:

nellie, somewhere (here?) I read that the student loan change has to be in the recon. bill so that it shows a deficit reduction over $1 billion.
      Funny thing is is this is the way government student loans used to be done this way. Somehow someone thought the banks needed more money.
      Same thing with the banks no longer charging for overdrafts on debit cards. They are acting magnanimous about the change but complaining about losing billions of dollars. When debit cards first came out you couldn’t overspend. They made the change to make more money.
      “we’re going to stop screwing you, aren’t we nice!”

11. bitohistory says:

Speaker Pelosi had the bloggers in for a chat today (what no lunch?) Here are a couple of quick reports. I didn’t see any mention about the public option.

• nellie says:

What a wonderful post, b’ito.

“This is the most important thing we will ever do.” She has that aura about her whenever she talks about health care. It’s good to hear her say it out loud.

I also liked this:

Also present were David Waldman, Igor Volsky, Greg Sargent, Jason Rosenbaum, Ryan Grim, Chris Bowers, Brian Beutler, and John Aravosis.

A nice list of bloggers to check out.

12. nellie says:

Department of State Launches New Tool to Foster Online Open Dialogue

The Department of State today launches “Opinion Space”, an interactive site hosted on State.gov that seeks to foster global conversations on foreign affairs.

Nellie,

I can

• nellie says:

I’m really interested in seeing what this turns into. Who’s going to be allowed to participate? Will it be moderated? What will the topics be?

(I don’t really look any different — this is just a
        close-up shot. 😉 )

• javaz says:

Are you a’wearin’ the green for St. Patty’s Day then, lassie?

(I hope the Irish term for a woman is lassie!)

:mrgreen:

Or be it lass?

Doing an Irish accent is hard enough, let alone trying to type one!

• nellie says:

I wouldn’t even attempt to type it! :-)

I’m continuing w my “I love the earth” theme, only on a more intimate level… Love this time of year when the leaves are the vibrant neon color.

But I will be color appropriate for St. Patty’s!
            :mrgreen:

Mr. Green is also color appropriate.

13. Blues Tiger says:

Oklahoma City mom is given 20-year term in child

• SueInCa says:

TB
      I sat on a mock jury once for a lawsuit filed against the state of Nevada. The typical story of the CPS(child protection services) not following up on reports of abuse and not making any attempts to remove a child from foster care. The beating was so bad the child was rendered a vegatable and then the state wanted the family to take over. We ruled on 250k in favor of the family and 333 million for punitive damages.
      While we were deliberating there was a guy in the room watcching. We polled for the settlement in a written vote so he did not know what arrangement we had come to. When we read the verdict, his face registered shock. He was the state attorney who was trying to decide whether to fight in court or go the settlement route. I bet he took the latter. It was astounding to me that he would think outsiders looking at the story would not be outraged at the state’s lack of action.

You would think the religious right with their increased interest of counseling for adults prior to being granted a divorce would also go after this issue. But then again, they are not concerned about after the child is born, just to the decisions made before.

Good to hear that you have advocated for the protection of kids, BT.

I’ve been baffled for years at the way the court system and its poorly trained but extremely powerful social workers will force a “bonding” situation (unsupervised visitation with people who are known to be law-breakers and totally irresponsible to boot) regarding young children. The rights of the child are almost never considered. It’s always the parent’s right to access to the child that is the primary consideration, even if the consequences of that access during visitation are terrible for the poor kid. If a parent tries to buck the system too hard, there is the threat of losing custody because of “instability.”

It’s amazing to me that a parent who does not have a child ready for visitation with the potentially abusive other parent will have a sheriff’s deputy at the door in 3 minutes. But a parent who is years behind, and tens of thousands of dollars in arrears on child support, will be somehow “unfindable.” In our area child support dodgers are almost never arrested. But miss one visitation and you will need legal assistance!

• Blues Tiger says:

It was a major battle here… Your correct that the counselors were using the instability or he’s irrational attacks on people here… It was really like having to fight some sort of “man hating mafia”… The divorce counseling classes were court ordered and as a male you would have to endure weeks of biased lectures and threats if you wanted to see your kids (every counselor involved was a divorced woman)…
        We managed to get the courts to become more reasonable about granting joint custody, more liberal visitations,creating standards that included granting custody to most involved parent, following the letter of the Law in granting Victim Protective Orders and making them reciprocal if granted if it was part of the divorce proceedings and no visitation if co-cohabiting… The power of the Judges was taken away from opinion to having to follow a set of guidelines…
        Ironically, and something you might appreciate kes, the people who helped me the most and offered the best suggestions for guidelines for us was a group of divorced RN’s from the Hospital I was employed at!!! I learned to listen to them because everytime I did it worked… 😀

BT, glad to hear that the RNs treated you right!

Weirdly, in my area, it’s a kind of “woman hating mafia,” with an almost totally male sheriff’s dept. and male-dominated court system that bends over backwards for “father’s rights,” even when “father” does things like drive the kids around, un-seat-belted, while he himself is staggeringly drunk. But I realize that the unfairness can and does go either way.

When it’s all said and done, there almost seems to be a consistent, perverse “protect the rights of the bully” and “use the child as a de facto therapist for the craziest parent” philosophy, regardless of where you live!

I don’t get it! So often the victims get victimized and the perpetrators have loads and loads of “rights.” So frustrating.

14. BigDogMom says:

Well, we still have half of my neighbors tree sitting precariously up against my 100 yr. maple in my front yard, the other half is laying in the street waiting for the town’s DPW to come by after this weekends big storm, looks like it’s going to be a long time before they get to it.

In all my time living here, through all the hurricanes and Nor Easters, I have never seen sustained winds this high and this length of time, it started blowing at 11 am Sat to 1 am Sunday morning. Nor have I ever seen this much damage to trees and homes. It looks like a battle zone here, there is not house/building that doesn’t have some kind of damage.

As I reported Saturday night, my neighbors 60 ft. tree came down, as it fell it ripped the power line that goes from our house to the poll and hit part of the roof of our front porch, minor damage to that. What a noise, you could hear the creaking and cracking before the actually fall, with such a loud thud that it shook the house.

The power line was still connected to the house, but half of it was laying on the ground, the other half connected to the pole. We were lucky, we still had power, unlike 55,000 that didn’t at the height of the storm.

In our section of the town, we have a small taxpayer owned power company, so the guys were out to re-attach the line to the house at 6 am Sunday morning. Hubby gave the guys some coffee after they finished, they had been up all night trying to keep up with all the damage and lines down.

They told us that at one point during the storm, around 6 pm Sat. night, all utility workers and first responders were called in to wait it out because it was so dangerous.

A tree had come down on a fire truck in the next town over and another tree coming down took off the bucket from a utility vehicle, thank God no one was in the bucket at the time. The wind was clocked by my husband, gusting at 60 MPH, sustained winds at 40 MPH. Around 1 am Sunday, everything dyed down and the crews, police and fire were able to go back out.

Here are some pictures of the damage, number 6, the big pine resting up against the power lines is right around the corner from our house, the tree was still there yesterday afternoon, waiting to be removed.

Story of storm from local paper “The Hour”, which we call “the minute” because it takes only a minute to read it! :smile:

• javaz says:

Holy high winds, BDM!

It took awhile for me to make it through all the pictures, but the devastation is amazing.
      I dislike winds, too.

We had those 60-70mph winds quite a few weeks back, and I’d never seen anything like that before, but thank goodness our storm didn’t last anywhere as long as the one you had, and thank heaven, we didn’t have heavy damage.

And it is sad seeing all those beautiful trees felled, but you’re quite lucky that you maintained power and suffered minimum damage to your porch, so someone’s watching over you!

Aside from the storm pics, you sure do live in a gorgeous area.
      I miss seeing trees like that at times.

Glad to hear that you, your husband and the doggies are safe.

This is an image of the Superstitions that are north of where we live on the mountain range.

The jutting rocks to the side climbing up are called the walking ‘monks’ by us locals.

• bitohistory says:

BDM, NPR just reported that they are bringing in tree docs to Conn. from around the nation to help save as many trees as possible. 😎

• BigDogMom says:

bito -- That’s good to hear, I hope they can save some of them…

Hubby called, a couple of the guys who work at the Oyster Company will not get their power back until Thurs., one of them lives with his elderly mother, so I am bringing our battery operated lamps down there for them to use right now….my sister and her family are thinking of coming here to stay since we have hot water and lights. This should be interesting!

• escribacat says:

How scary, BDM. I hope your maple is okay! We get winds like that here — they come down from the foothills of the Rockies. Sometimes clocked at 130 mph. Trailers get blown over, garages and roofs blow away. I hate the wind!

• BigDogMom says:

It blows off the water here all the time, so I am used to it, the only time I don’t like it is when it’s 15 degrees and I’m out walking the dogs….. 😯

• Chernynkaya says:

WOW, BDM!! That’s amazing. I’m so relieved your house didn’t suffer any damage! I always have the worry of earthquakes here in LA in the back of my mind, but when you get right down to it, I guess there is really no completely safe place.

Those photos were shocking to me. And it’s also so lucky that you kept your electricity. I recently saw a PBS show about the blizzard in Buffalo 1977. It was declared a federal emergency. Completely overwhelmed the city.

• BigDogMom says:

Cher, I remember that blizzard, I was home from college…it took three days for us to dig out from that, my poor ’68 VW Beetle, it was buried up to the roof! There was so much snow, they were taking the snow and dumping it into the sound because they had no where to put it.

• Blues Tiger says:

My cousin and his wife lived up there during that, they have pics him standing in the walkway he dug out to the front door… It’s all you see, the waklway, no house, no car’s just snow and a walkway…

• SueInCa says:

BDM
      thanks for keeping us updated. Sustained high winds like that for that long are always going to be unkind to old trees. We see that alot out here in CA. The older more established neighborhoods are beautiful with their aged landscaping but in this type of incidence, are a big worry for good reason. I would still choose to live in an area with beautiful old trees than not though. We have always been lucky though. We had a palm tree once that was probably 40-50 ft high. It would sway, but th roots were grounded so we never worried too much, the pines and maples were another story. We had a maple come down but it hit just before our house.

• PepeLepew says:

What state are you in?

Someone from Connecticut was posting on another site that this weekend was insane.

• BigDogMom says:

Pepe -- Southwestern CT, 40 min. from NYC on the Metro North line…yes, it was insane, just got another reverse 911 call from our beloved Mayor, electric will not be restored for some until Wed. due to so much damage in so many areas.

They have now opened up the City Hall and another HS as shelters today, wind has started picking up again, 15-20 MPH, Hubby called and said to stay home, more trees and large branches still coming down, hearing lots of sirens again….

My husband says the extra high tide has cut him off for now, it’s flooding the main road that follows the channel where he has his business…I’m leaving clean up of the sea grass and all the small branches in my back yard until tomorrow, everything is just a wet mess!

What a great reporting job, BDM! Those pictures look almost like tornado damage. What a storm! I’m glad you and your family are safe.

The photos looked so familiar to me. I lived in Killingworth for a few years, so the area affected by the storm is so recognizable! Do I remember correctly that there was an Inn at Cornfield Point (near Katharine Hepburn’s family home)? I seem to remember going there for Sunday brunch…delicious! And that Pequot library building--what a treasure! Love the architecture on that one.

I feel for everyone having to cope with all the damage and clean up. The one picture of the Lexus…ouch!…that car is officially totalled, I imagine.

Thanks for giving us a glimpse into what a Nor’easter can do, and you all--including the pups--stay safe!

• BigDogMom says:

That would be the “Old Saybrook Inn” I think, we were married there, outside right on the water, beautiful location…Ah yes, she is know as “Our Kate” up there in Saybrook, they seem to like to own her, because she lived there all her life, beautiful home, she did a lot for that area.

What an awesome place for a wedding, BDM!

CT is so interesting. There’s such a diversity of history, culture, environment…you name it. I know this sounds weird, but I used to like to drive around and find those little old cemeteries. There were often some ancient…and I do mean ancient…tombstones with such interesting engravings. One of them that I saw more than once was something to the effect of: “Visitor, as you are passing by, remember, as you are now, so once was I. As I am now, so you will be. Visitor will you think of me?” If that isn’t Old New England, I don’t know what is!

• BigDogMom says:

kes, we have one of those ancient quirky cemeteries here in our part of town, we all belong to the association that maintains it.

Many who fought and died during the battle for Norwalk, that took place in our harbor, when the British landed on our shores, are buried there. Their ancestors still live in this part of town…and are proud to be “sons and daughters of the Revolutionary War heroes”.

They have a commemoration every year and a battle re-enactment at the beach where they landed.

Yep, CT is one of the original 13 Colonies….my town fought the British and lost a lot of good men, (and women), had their homes and businesses burned to the ground, so that we could all be free from King’s tierany…wonder if Tex-ass will re-write that history?

b’ito and BDM, my reply to you was vaporized…twice!

Just meant to say that I was glad to find kindred spirits who enjoyed “haunting” old cemeteries as much as I did.

Will be out for a while today, so I’ll catch you later, I hope!

• bitohistory says:

When I lived in the UP, I would go to some of the older ones. You could track what years an epidemic went through there by all the children’s graves and the years they died along with their young mothers and fathers. Whole families. Sad.

Good afternoon, b’ito! And BDM! I’m glad to hear that I’m not the only one who loves “haunting” old cemeteries! I’m fascinated by trying to figure out what the lives of the people were like from the scant info there.

You’re so right, BDM. Texass will surely have it’s own “special” version of American history. I’m sure George Washington was a founding member of the Republican Party in their book. And all the Founding Fathers must have had a hearty contempt for social justice, according to the Beckster!

Will have to be out for a while this afternoon, so I’ll be off the radar for a bit. (I know I have emails to address, too, and will get to ’em pronto, as soon as I can!) Back latah!

• bitohistory says:

BDM, Man, that must have been quite the storm. sad when so many mature trees get damaged, like lose a friend, almost. I just saw some photos of some trees that I grew from seed and heard that some people want them removed to make more room in the park.
      The root system of pines amaze me when the big one get blown down. It seems that it should have an anchor twice as big. Glad you and your home are OK.

• BigDogMom says:

It is quite sad to see, I am hoping that my 100 yr old Maple in my front yard is not too damaged and can be saved, can’t tell right now until the downed tree is removed.

In this area, pines seem to grow well because of the sandy soil and salt air, but their root systems don’t go very deep and when soil around them gets soggy, all it takes is one good gust to topple them.

But this storm was unbelievable, never seen so many large trees down…could this be the beginning of the end of times? I’m sure the nut cases are calling it that! 😀

• Blues Tiger says:

BDM looks like quite a bit of damage… I noticed a lot of the pines were down in those pics too…
          Our maple was heavily damaged by the Ice Storms hat nailed Oklahoma a couple of years ago… If you get a professional to look at it and trim it properly it may have a good chance to survive, ours did…