nellie On December - 17 - 2009

Just heard on Randi Rhodes:

Looks like the conferees on the senate side will be:

Chris Dodd
Tom Harkin
JD Rockefeller
Max Baucus
Harry Reid

I get two things from this announcement:

1) This is a group that is strong on reform, so perhaps the final bill will look more like what we’re hoping for. I haven’t heard any news about the House side, but given that the House bill is a really strong bill, there’s not as much to worry about.

2) Reid thinks they’re going to pass a bill in the Senate.

Sorry this is so short! I thought it might be of interest.

Categories: News & Politics

1. bitohistory says:

I first want to apologize to everyone here. This is something I don’t do.

FUCK YOU Nelson!
    FUCK YOU LIERbman!
    FUCK YOU Rethugs!
    FUCK YOU rule 22

Didn’t fix anything. I am still pissed.

Sorry, friends.

2. KQuark says:

That’s a glimmer of hope because their will only one true conservative Dem on the panel. But I would not get my hopes up because now Nelson is holding the healthcare bill hostage.

3. nellie says:

OpenCongress is running this article on what happens in conference:

What Happens After the Senate Passes Their Health Care Bill?

• boomer1949 says:

nellie,

I’m sorry, but all of this reminds me of a mating dance between penguins in the Antarctic. I can give the penguins a break because eggs and offspring are in the balance.

But the Yahoos in the Senate? I refuse to cut them the same slack. These guys are juggling the lives of millions of uninsured men, women, children, and the elderly. It’s not a game and it’s time they did the job we’re paying them to do. They weren’t sent to DC to do their thing, but to do ours.

• nellie says:

Well — we can only fault them so much. It’s our job to pick people who aren’t total douchebags. And we don’t do that. I mean, who votes for somebody like Orin Hatch or Mitch McConnell? Californians voted the Governator into office and he bankrupted the state.

I can get pissed off at our congress, but I get more pissed at the voters.

4. PepeLepew says:

Geez, Boomer, you’re on fire tonight! :)

5. bitohistory says:

And this is what Chris Matthews thinks of people here:

MATTHEWS: I don

• boomer1949 says:

b’to…

Thanks, and this is what I just sent to Hardball:

“Dear Mr. Matthews:

1. I am 60 years old.
      2. I am female.
      3. I work full time and have health benefits.
      4. I am not, let me repeat, NOT a troublemaker.
      5. I have been around much longer than you, and have seen what the haves have done to the have nots. It’s embarrassing, despicable, disheartening, mean, disingenuous, and any other negative adjective you choose to add.
      6. For the Senate to basically screw up this bill because of their loyalties are with the Insurance and Pharma Lobby and NOT their constituents is a disgrace not only to the character of each Senator, but a slap in the face to every individual he/she is SUPPOSED to represent.

I could go on Mr. Matthews, but if you at least made it to #6 without deleting this email, then I’m pleased. Think about it sir. You and many of your pundit peers are the problem and not a solution.

Sincerely,
      boomer1949/PlanetPOV.com”

• nellie says:

boomer, you’ve inspired me as well. I have a few words for this cocktail party wannabe. The thing about Chris Matthews — he takes criticism to heart. He deserves a lot of “netroot” mail for those very poorly chosen words.

• seehowtheyrun says:

Good for you boomer ! Excellent e mail. You’re inspiring me to write to him as well.

• bitohistory says:

Boomer, I hope he gets a bunch of “fan mail like that.
        Some how I don’t think they will all be as polite as yours. 😉

• boomer1949 says:

b’to,

a couple more glasses of red and I can be extremely impolite. :-) He has become an absolute jerk. Finger in air, which way is the wind blowing and how will it help MY ratings? Duh!

• SueInCa says:

I love it that you used the planet pov address LOL

• boomer1949 says:

Sue,

I thought about it — hesitated — thought about it some more. Considered using my real name, and thought it might be more beneficial to have them check out the Planet. At least they’ll realize I’m not alone and there are many others with similar opinions..and more important? We’re not HP. :-)

• SueInCa says:

better than Chris spitting and drooling over candidates. Matthews is past his prime. He needs to go.

• boomer1949 says:

b’to…

I gave up on Chrissy a long time ago. He puts his finger in the air to see which way the wind is blowing. He vacillates so much, I wouldn’t trust him any farther than I could throw him.

He is a suck up, brown nose, and opportunist. That said, I am going to watch and then send him a personal note letting him know I am not a troublemaker, I am older than he, and he really has no clue.

Sorry, I used to like him and thought he had meaningful interviews. Dropped him like a hot potato after he let Anne Coulter loose, let her get our of control, and didn’t have the cajonnes to shut her off.

6. boomer1949 says:

Been reading and just sent an email to Senator Franken thanking him for putting a sock in Senator Eyore’s mouth. Best laugh I’ve had all day.

I appreciated Al cutting him off though I imagine millions of Americans would love to cut him off, one way or another.

• KevenSeven says:

In his fucking shorts.

• boomer1949 says:

Nah, much worse. However, I doubt there’s very much underneath those shorts. 😉

Ooops! Who said that? Not I, she said with a grin!

• SueInCa says:

no, you did say it and I am with you. Kudos to Franken and screw mccain and lieberman, but it was funny. mcsane so outraged at his friend’s cutoff LOL

• boomer1949 says:

boo hoo for McSane.
              It’s about time for a shake up. Just because “it’s always been done this way” doesn’t mean it isn’t time for change. Jeeze, it isn’t rocket science.

Senator Eyore (my nickname for him) is loyal to no one but his wallet. He has been bought and paid for by all those Insurance HQ lobbies in CT. Screw the voters who put him inside the beltway. The voters don’t have millions.

7. boomer1949 says:

Good evening All,

Been out to dinner with friends and just came in. Something going on? Have enough chains been rattled? I’ll keep reading, but does anyone have a brief synopsis?

Hi boomer, mostly still following the ups and downs of health care, and considering the question of whether the bill in its current form deserves our support. Also getting a chuckle out of Franken vs. Lieberman in the Senate. Good to see you here!

• boomer1949 says:

Kesmarn,

Thanks for the update.

Franken and Eyore…saw it. What a hoot and it’s about time someone put a sock in his mouth. I even sent a note to Franken thanking him. Too cool!

I wish Sherrod Brown was a conferee — my Senator. Thank Dog the man is in touch with his constituents.

Just sent a note to the White House as well. Admonishing them for admonishing Dr. Dean. I’m a staunch supporter of President Obama, but please. Someone needs to be the voice of reason and to allow the RW and Senator Eyore to railroad this bill into something unrecognizable gives me a migraine and a massive pain in my lily white.

Sherrod Brown is awesome, boomer.

And I appreciate the role that Dean is playing here…even if it’s nothing other than being the Bad Cop who reminds people of what could happen if things get any more stupid. Like you, I support the President, but I also have a lot of respect for Dean because he has a huge amount of experience in health care…and not just as a doctor!

• boomer1949 says:

kesmarn,

Sherrod is beyond awesome; he gets it, he listens. He also realizes who he represents and he can’t be bought. Common sense — fantastic character trait. I know this guy can sleep at night and he deserves it.

When you consider Sherrod Brown, my favorite eccentric: Dennis Kucinich, and Marcy Kaptur (celebrated by Michael Moore in “Capitalism” as one of the few Reps who gets it, regarding banking) Ohio has some impressive people in Congress. I don’t think any of them could be bought off--even with billions!

My sister lived in Crispy’s district for a while. Hoo-boy. Very rural. Very white. (Crispy’s the brownest person there.)

He’s an idiot.

• boomer1949 says:

Dennis is out there, but makes a hell-uv-a lot of sense. Unfortunately, he doesn’t belong to me. I’m stuck with a Repug (Pat Tiberi). I gave up writing to him months ago. Pointless and a waste of my time. I will, on the other hand, campaign AGAINST him when he is up for reelection.

Also wish Crispy Critter (guess who?) was my Rep. would campaign beyond 100% to see the tan guy lose. Yuck!

8. bitohistory says:

7:36 and the Senate is still in session!

9. escribacat says:

Cute little puppet show about our friend Joe, from moveon.org:

10. choicelady says:

If at any point we cannot get past the 60 votes, I say Reid should lock them all in, keep them there day and night save bathroom breaks, and bring in whatever the Senate Dining Room is serving, no special orders. If the conservative Dems won’t grow up and Republicans are being obstructionist, well, then, let’s do the traditional American way -- the HARD way, the “Mr. Smith Goes to Washington” style.

Bets are on about who’s the first to cave. I say Coburn when his hair spray fades? Any takers?

11. choicelady says:

Hey Nellie -- This is SUPER -- Baucus is in trouble over his girlfriend, so he seems lately to have kept quiet. I have been surprised he has not sided with Nelson and Lieberman, so maybe he has more little secrets he’d not like to draw attention to? Or perhaps he’s seen the light. In CA we turned SIX Blue Dogs, so it CAN happen!

I think I just breathed again, and short or not, I THANK YOU SO MUCH for posting this! I’m off shortly to do an interfaith presentation on where we are on health care, and you gave me more to say than, “Well, duh. Dunno.” I really appreciate it!

Thank you nellie for moving MB, I fell asleep, sorry. :(

13. Gretel1or2 says:

Thank you nellie for the update. I’ll be keeping my fingers crossed while I respond to sign petitions with moveon.org etc..

14. PepeLepew says:

This is encouraging. Only one serious Blue Dog — Baucus — and I guess they had to include him because he is the Finance Committee chair. I like Rockefeller and Harkin on it.