AdLib On February - 20 - 2016

Ladies and gentlemen, start your engines! Today there are two races for spectators to watch, a demolition derby run by the GOP in South Carolina and a drag car race between two hot rodding Dems in Nevada.

This can be a pivotal day for many campaigns. On the Republican side, a poor showing by Ben Carson (as expected) and by Jeb Bush could sideline both out of the race. A surprise loss by Trump could hobble him and his hopes for winning. A 3rd place showing by Cruz could be profoundly damaging but a victory could turbo boost his chances. And Rubio “recording” less than a 3rd Place finish would be a bruising defeat but doing better could open the floodgates for the GOP Elite’s donatioons.

On the Dem side, if Bernie wins Nevada after being so far behind for months, and doing so in an ethnically diverse state, the whole narrative about him being too fringe to win the nom would be exploded. Meanwhile, a strong Hillary win could pave a path of victory to South Carolina next week and onto the SEC Southern states primary in March.

So much riding on today’s results and so many twists and turns possible, join our thread throughout the day and night to discuss your predictions and reactions with your fellow Planeteers.

It should be exciting!

My 5th prediction on quitting the race comes true! Jeb! loses his exclamation point, you can put a period at the end of Jeb.

2. SallyT says:

Jeb on CNN and just now has said he is dropping out of the race for president.

• monicaangela says:

I saw that Sally, very sad, Jeb and Ms. Lindsey closing out the infamous campaign of Jeb! I know Jeb Bush couldn’t be happier now that this nightmare is over. I really believed he suffered at the hands of Donald Trump. If I were Trump I would be looking over my shoulder from this day forward. :)

“You can clap now.”

• monicaangela says:

I see you have the crystal ball going full force AdLib. Yet another prediction come true. :)

Thanks Monica! So far, so good but Ben Carson may be just to dim to figure out he’s over now. He could really mess up my perfect record! Hoping he drops out next week!

• pinkpantheroz says:

Not clapping, Ad, looking at the loonies still in the race. God, what have we come to? Scary

PPO, check out my comments to Monica about this. The majority of Repubs, let alone the majority of Americans, are opposed to Trump. He can’t win. Will lose the Latino vote hugely along with women’s vote, blacks, youth…he would be crushed in nearly all swing states.

Trump in the GE could bring a Dem sweep big enough to flip The Senate and The House along with handing the WH to Dems.

3. monicaangela says:

Sorry I’m late this evening. Had a lot of errands to run today. Bernie did a fantastic job in Nevada. I know he lost, but he’s running against probably the best political machine in the nation second to that of President Obama. And, he came out of it unscathed. We’re still in this race. :)

Can you imagine there are people in this nation that would actually vote to nominate Donald Trump for President? Wow, we are in serious trouble. And, if that wasn’t enough, the next two candidates are just as scary as he is. OMG! Am I going to have to start getting my financial house in order just in case I have to leave the country for 4-8 years? :)

Monica, no, we’re not in trouble. 66% of the GOP voted against Trump and in polling, Trump loses to either Rubio or Cruz in a two person race…he loses even in the GOP! He has a very hard ceiling of support and among indies, it’s very low.

I want Trump to win the GOP nom because as most Estab Repubs panic about, Trump will be destroyed in a GE.

• monicaangela says:

That’s good news AdLib, however my nerves are settled one bit with the idea of a Cruz or Rubio presidency. Trump would be a good candidate for the democratic nominee to run against, but this political has been filled with so many surprises it makes you wonder if something really tragic isn’t going to be the outcome. I sincerely hope not.

Monica, I appreciate your caution but the good news is that neither Cruz or Rubio are going to drop out so by their splitting the majority of the GOP, Trump will continue to win delegates!

Rubio and Cruz don’t look to have any state where they can win 1st but many states where they will be on a par and divide the GOP vote.

The way it looks now, either Trump wins or it’s a brokered convention and the GOP tears itself apart trying to deny Trump the nom.

Trust in the destructive nature of Repubs and what happens when they turn that inwardly on themselves.

I was talking over the GOP prospects with a really partisan GOPer, and he was saying that the GOP has done nothing but win seats in Congress and governorships recently, and that this would extend to the Presidency in November. When I said: “Good luck with candidate Trump,” he completely disappeared. Vanished. LOL!

• monicaangela says:

Somehow you make me feel much better about this clown show we are experiencing. I can see what you are saying coming true and I really hope it does. I’m really going to have to stock up on popcorn, that convention is going to be a must see. :)

Monica, if it’s a brokered convention, their burying Trump could shatter the GOP into a real minority party for many years.

If Trump wins the nom outright, Repubs will be jumping out of windows.

Repub Elite Nicole Wallace is on MSNBC and is sick over Trump winning. She knows, the rest of the GOP Estab knows, Trump will be a train wreck!

Win or lose, Bernie Sanders ends up with roughly the same number of delegates as Clinton, down just a few. Not a loss at all for Bernie. Not such a great win for Clinton either.

• monicaangela says:

My sentiments exactly Kalima, she continues to squeak through. That shows the electorate isn’t all that happy with her run for office.

• SallyT says:

Hey, President Obama in 2008 lost Nevada to HRC by 6 points. BERNIE lost by 3 points. I say we are still winning!
        Go, BERNIE!

• monicaangela says:

I hadn’t thought of that Sally, that’s right he did, boy are you lifting my spirits tonight. Keep up the good work! And….GO BERNIE!!!! is the cry of the day. On to Super Tuesday!!! :)

• SallyT says:

If I lifted your spirits, Monica, that made my day. But, just so you know, I came on here tonight so you could let me know I am not alone out there! Thank you!

• monicaangela says:

It appears we are a mutual admiration society. I will be with Bernie until this thing is over, and after that, even if he doesn’t win the nomination. This is a political revolution, and I plan to help Bernie Sanders in whatever manner I can, now and in the future.

Sally, great point! Bernie’s actually now 6% behind Hillary which means…he did just as well as Obama!

With 10% of the vote in SC, Cruz and Rubio are jostling for 2nd place, Cruz just barely ahead of Rubio.

Meanwhile, Jeb is flirting with single digits, vacilating between 10% and 9%. Watch what happens next week if Jeb ends up in single digits…he’s out!

Hillary is projected the winner in Nevada, so far it’s 52% to 48% for Bernie. It is a win for Hillary but considering hoow far ahead of him she was just months ago, it actually reflects a lot of momentum for Bernie. Still, congrats to Hillary.

However, in South Carolina, it is still too close to call, could be a disappointing win or loss for Trump and Rubio coould be in real contention for 2nd with Cruz.

BTW, with only a tiny percentage reporting, Bush is in 4th place. Again, I bet that if he gets less than 10%…or even if he gets double digits but is a distant 4th, he drops out!

This is a nail biter! Stay tuned!

• SallyT says:

Bernie did really good! He did come from way behind. Still have the faith!

I’m sticking with Bernie too.

He did very well today.

Nothing to be ashamed of there in the least.

• monicaangela says:

Exactly SallyT….I’m still with Bernie. I really enjoyed his speech tonight, he also shows he isn’t ready to throw in the towel, and is letting his supporters know just what a large task we just accomplished. On to Super Tuesday!!!

Trump is declared the winner in SC but the battle for 2nd continues between Cruz and Rubio…and the drama over Bush dropping out due to underperforming is still going on!

Prediction time!

I think Ben Carson will have to call it quits after tonight and…Jeb Bush will drop out if he doesn’t finish a close 4th or better and in double digits. If Jeb is in single digits, it’s all over for the “smarter” Bush and hopefully it will end the Bush Dynasty for good (including the next clone in line, George P. Bush).

I think Bernie will either win or virtually tie Hillary in Nevada which could make SC closer and harder to position as momentum for Hillary even if she wins as expected.

Predictions anyone?