bito On February - 25 - 2010

The 6 hour gathering is today discussing the future of OUR health and lives.

If you are watching and want to add your thoughts, enter here.

Written by bito

Was once a handsome frog until kissed by an ugly corporate princess.----- Like a well honed knife, the internet can be a wonderful and useful tool. It can be used to prepare and serve a delicious meal or it can be used to cause harm. peace

1. javaz says:

I’d like to thank everyone for live-blogging about the summit yesterday.
    I followed the comments throughout the entire thing and you guys did an excellent job of relaying what was going on!

It was almost like watching it and I could feel the tension and hear the shouts of LIES and/or LIAR at certain Republican nimrods.

Great job, everyone!

Ok now, I’ve spent most of my morning watching the “Summit” Part 1 on C-Span, slipping in and out of consciousness as the Repubs repeat points already clarified by the President, things already covered in the existing bill or just plain made-up lies as only members of the GOP are capable of doing with a straight face.

There is an afternoon Part 2 session and I wondered if anything dynamic occurred or if one stiff arsed, stiff lipped Repub shouted “You lie” or made any sense at all in the next 70 minutes. If not I could always save it to watch before bedtime, when it could serve the purpose of sending me to sleep.

The President was great and if I were the other side, I would feel so very embarrassed by the smarting sensation coming from my behind where the President had just given me and my colleagues a firm, royal spanking on national tv. Ouch!!

• KQuark says:

The president was like a cat playing with his food after devouring the GOP point by point from what I saw on line.

It simply amazes me how the media in this country goes out of it’s way trying to lower expectations for the Republicans. I mean the GOP had doctors in their ranks that knew less about the details of healthcare than the president.

I’m pretty dissapointed with the BBC as well because they seemed to miss the point. This summit was not about reaching any kind of agreement. It was about exposing the Republicans for what they are and refocusing Dems and the MSM back on HCR.

Frankly no summits these days that are played out in front of the media are to hammer out details of agreements just like the Climate Change summit. Summits are political devises where ideas are presented by all sides. The heavy lifting is always behind closed doors but then again the MSM will complain that there is not enough transparency in the process.

I will watch Part 2 then, if only to relish when the President backs them into their “no ideas” corners, so I can see it with my own eyes before the Repubs and their lackey media outlets have a chance to distort it.

Listening to those droning RW voices of sham and doom has literally worn me out. They have no idea how ridiculous they looked and sounded. This doctor Coburn was only there for himself, trying to cover his own arse, what a bunch of overripe bananas.

• KQuark says:

For me listening to their bullshit that we have “the best healthcare system in the world” gets me angry because we have the worst access to that system. I think our level of care is very good for people that can afford it.

After just dealing with another six figure medical bill I can personally attest it’s the most overpriced system in the world.

The worst part is the idiot Republicans fail to realize with our broken system THEY probably paid for most of my bill because after I paid what I could the hospital had to write off the rest of the cost.

Yes, that phrase about having the best healthcare system in the world used to make me grind my teeth, as well as “America is #1” or that an American President is the leader of the free world, none of which are true of course. Now I just shake my head and think that the two countries defeated in WW2 could and have provided better universal healthcare for it’s citizens by slight increases in everyone’s taxes and everyone has national health coverage paying only 30% with the government picking up the 70% slack.

These old dinosaurs need to be put out to pasture or stuffed and mounted in a museum along with their outdated ideas which so far have never worked anyway.

3. bitohistory says:

They should of had a banner with this quote hanging in the room:

“Integrity is the lifeblood of democracy. Deceit is a poison in its veins.”

Senator Edward M. Kennedy, Source:Brookings Institution, April 5, 2004.

4. bitohistory says:

Many moons ago I wrote this pertaing to selling Ins. across state lines. Many of the same questions (plus more) are still unanswered to me.

On the question of buying insurance across state lines.
    Just a few questions that need to answered before what many think is a simple and easy solution.
    One is an example of reimbursement rates: Will my doctor in NYC except the payment from my carrier in Yuma, AZ (a much lower rate)?
    Who will address any grievances that may arise? AZ, where I don

• KQuark says:

Great points the GOP can’t answer.

The president was exactly right. Millions of people would be buying “race to the bottom” coverage that would be cheaper but cover nothing when you needed it. It would be nothing more than giving people a false sense of security only to find out that the system will probably break them when they need their insurance to pay their provider.

It also takes away any benefits lower cost non-profit internal state systems would give you. For example a insurance company in Arizona can’t pool doctors in Georgia to accept less by assuring a certain volume of patients got to non-profit hospitals.

In an ironic twist even Republicans recognize this with their legislation that still leaves it up to states to govern the plans people can buy. Basically they added a loop who that contradicted their own talking point.

A conservative on NRO even points out their hypocrisy even though they do it based on a wrongheaded approach.

The Republican health-reform bill (H.R. 4038

5. bitohistory says:

What has AZ done to deserve to not only have McCain, but to have a senile McCain? I don’t think he remembers what he said yesterday. let alone last year. Oh, that’s right, John, the media doesn’t remember either.

Not only has reconciliation been used on countless occasions in the past, it

6. nellie says:

Norman Goldman says the GOP is not the “Party of No.” It’s the “Party of Death.”

• KQuark says:

I’m glad Nancy Pelosi called out the Republicans on their lies. I just wish we had a Senate leader as feisty as her.

• SueInCa says:

You know, I was really pissed at her during the Tarp nonsense but I am beginning to really respect her. She is bright, has women’s needs in mind as well as all people. And she knows how to lay a stinger, this time in the right atmosphere.

• escribacat says:

Nellie, I think you were watching that day when the house voted on their bill, weren’t you? I still vividly remember that one jerk who kept jumping up: “I object! I object!’ when the women’s caucus was speaking. That’s what I think of when I characterize their party.

• nellie says:

I was watching. That was ridiculous!

I hope these “conferences” get people to watch congress more. It’s good citizenship — but it’s so entertaining, too.

7. KQuark says:

I have to say the president’s command on the issues always amazes me. As big as HCR is it’s one issue. I’ve heard him get in the weeds on education, energy and foreign policy with the same acumen. He may not always make the decisions I would choose I’m never worried that he does not have the intellectual juice to analyze like even the most complex problems. I can only speak for my self but the only president I can remember who is as thoughtful as Obama was former President Carter. If we had listened to Carter years ago especially with regards to energy conservation and energy independence we would have simply not lost tens of millions of manufacturing jobs we have in the last 30 years. However like Carter as well I still don’t know if the country is ready for the truth that comes with a president who is a strategic thinker. Too many Americas still love to have smoke blown up their collective butts and consistently fail to accept the tough choices we need to make.

• escribacat says:

At the risk of sounding like a misanthrope, I think most people are too lazy to gain even a basic understanding of any of these issues. They develop their “opinions” based on sound bites and emotional pitches and snatches of conversations. Very few people actually follow politics or study the issues. The intelligence and wisdom of a person like Obama is more or less wasted on many folks. Too bad for democracy.

• nellie says:

I think garbage in, garbage out. People get so much garbage thrown at them, and so little high quality information — it’s no wonder they have a shallow understanding of things.

• KQuark says:

But people embrace the garbage without question, especially conservatives who accept GOP talking points. We just saw today examples of Republicans flat out lying but still their supporters believe the lies. Worse the MSM never calls out the lies.

There was a time in this country where if you lied your credibility was challenged by the American people. But right now Americans not only expect but tacitly accept Republican lies.

Hell Clinton was impeached because he lied but Republicans lie on daily basis and still the MSM gives them credibility.

• escribacat says:

Good point, Nellie. The media does not live up to its responsibilities. In fact, I don’t think they even consider that they have responsibilities any more.

• KQuark says:

You are probably being too generous if anything.

• SueInCa says:

Where people make false assumptions is in their quiet manner. They equate quiet with mousy, but then there was Dubya and he set the bar really low for non-inquiring minds

• KQuark says:

I agree W was an easy act to follow based on his lack of intellectual curiosity, not of course with the mess he left behind. But I think Obama has the intellectual juice of a Bill Clinton in all areas while Clinton was more a great political mind. Policy wise many of Clinton’s policies lacked any strategic vision and that’s why we are living with so many negative, albeit unintended consequences of his policies.

• SueInCa says:

I agree. Clinton may have been too brilliant to govern. Obama is a good “high second” to him.

• KQuark says:

Clinton was a tactician not a strategist. I think both probably have very similar raw intelligence but dealing with many experts compared to more visionary people in my career I would pick a visionary any time. NAFTA and bank deregulation were two huge areas Clinton missed the unitentional negative consequences big time.

He cared more about personal success and micromanagement than the long term affects his policies would have on the country. I also got the same feeling escribacat got from him.

He was overall a good president and had to deal with a Republican Congress but he simply did not care about the people as much as he pretended to when he was in office.

• SueInCa says:

Hey I wasn’t clear, I was speaking intellect only, not governing

• nellie says:

I also think there’s another personality difference. Just my opinion, but I always got the impression that Clinton wanted to be one of the titans. And now he is one. I don’t think Obama has that impulse. It makes for a very different style of governance.

• escribacat says:

I see a quality in Obama that Clinton lacked. I always got the impression from Clinton’s facial expressions that he was acting. Obama seems much more sincere and natural to me.

• KQuark says:

There is a little actor in almost all politicians these days but you’re right Clinton was on all the time. You just never knew what he was really thinking or cared about. I can actually see when Obama is in his wonk mode and then when he goes back to his talking points. When he directly responds to what people said and did that’s the true Obama but he has to cover his talking points like any leader these days to get MSM attention, I can see the actor in him.

Usually the only time the true Bill Clinton came out was hen he was angry but I can say over half of upper management I have dealt with throughout my career usually wore their facades most of the time.

• SueInCa says:

yeah, Clinton was always above the fray, except when he was defending his exploits under the oval office desk. but even then I found him likable

• KQuark says:

I liked Bill too. I just always wish I knew a little more about what made him tick.

I guess since I read both of Obama’s books during the primaries where he really did expose himself I just understood where he was coming from early on. We are about the same age and growing up one of my best friends reminds me allot of Obama. He was one of the few multiethic guys in our neighborhood and was always the organizer and diplomat within our group. His parents academic background was very similar to Obama’s. His father was a college professor and his mother was a math teacher.