How do I create a new post?
1. To begin a new post, click “+New” in the menu at the very top of the page then “Post”.
2. Begin by entering a title for your post in the top bar then write your post in the area below. You can include images, videos and links by clicking on the desired button above the text area.
3. ADDING AN IMAGE IN YOUR POST – You must always add an image to your article at the top. Since this is a commercial site, the images must be royalty free/public domain (you can also modify an image you find or create your own graphic if desired).
a. FINDING AN IMAGE – Here are some sites where you can search for public domain images. When you select an image, copy its URL from your browser:
You can find more sites at
b. INSERTING AN IMAGE IN YOUR POST – Click at the beginning of your article so the cursor is in front of the first word then click the Add Media” button. To use an image on your computer, click “Upload Files” then “Select Files” and select the file on your computer to upload. When it has uploaded, click the “Insert Into Post” button.
c. RESIZING AN IMAGE IN YOUR POST – To change the size of the image you’ve inserted into your post, click on the image to select it. You have two options to resize it, first, you can click on any corner of the image and click and drag it to the desired size or, when you click on the image you’ll see two icons appear on it, click the first icon that looks like a picture of a mountain and a window will open that allows you to scale the picture by percentage.
4. ADDING A FEATURED IMAGE – The Featured Image is the small image that appears beside your article on a page and must be included. Scroll down to the Featured Image widget and click on the “Set featured image” link. The window that comes up should display the image you already inserted. Click the “Use as featured image” button. The Preview Image function only works with images that you have uploaded to our site so if you used a URL to another site for an image in your post, save that image onto your computer then upload it to our site as described in 3b.
5. ADDING TAGS – Enter at least 3 -5 descriptive words in the” Post Tags” box, this is the only way a Search will find your post so please use as many descriptive words about your post as possible. If you are in Visual mode (there are two tabs, Visual and HTML in the upper corner of your post box, click either to activate that mode), there will already be a set of tags suggested in a “TAGS” section, you can click the “Add All” link to quickly and easily add all those links to your post. You can also delete any links by clicking on the “x” on them.
6. When you’ve completed your article, click on “Publish” and your article will go into the Editorial Queue, to be reviewed for technical aspects (we never rewrite your posts though we may correct misspellings) and technically adjusted to be complete as described above, then published by the staff. Articles about issues will often appear on the front page, articles of a more personal or less issue-oriented nature will appear in Speakers Corner.
How do I insert Links and Quotes in my posts and comments?
1. ADDING LINKS IN ARTICLES – You have to manually add a link to to a URL or any word or phrase you want to use as a link.
a. Make sure the “Visual” tab is selected when you are in your Dashboard writing a new article.
b. Highlight the URL, word or phrase you want to be a link. Click on the button above it that has an icon that looks like a chain link.
c. A small window will pop up. In the top box, paste the full URL you want the link to go to. In the second pulldown box select “Open in New Window” then click the “Insert” button at the bottom and you’re done.
2. ADDING LINKS IN COMMENTS – Our site automatically turns any URL you type or paste in a comment into a link so there’s nothing you have to do. If you would like to use a word or phrase in your comment as a link instead of showing the URL, here is an example:
<a href=”http//planetpov.com”> This is a link </a > that you can click.
Appears in a comment like this:
This is a link that you can click.
The URL that this link will send people to is “http”//planetpov.com”. Whatever is typed after the URL ( in this case, “This is a link”) will be the words that are the link and the “/a” ends the link so whatever words appear after it will appear as normal text.
3. ADDING A QUOTE IN A POST OR COMMENT- When using the “blockquote” feature, you can display a quote from an article or person in a highlighted box so it will be clearly seen as a quote. Here is an example of how to use this feature, by adding the specific “blockquote” tags around what I want to appear as a quote like this:
<blockquote>BREAKING NEWS: Palin declares snow “cold”.</blockquote>
Causes the quote to appear like this:
BREAKING NEWS: Palin declares snow “cold”.
Can I write anything I want to write in posts or comments?
How do I set up an image (an Avatar) to appear with my username?
This site uses Gravatars, which are avatarsimages you assign through Gravatar’s website to your email address. All websites that support Gravatars will display the same image for you.
To select an image for yourself, go to http://en.gravatar.com/site/signup and register the same email address you used here when you signed up. After responding to a confirmation email from Gravatar, you can select an image from your computer or the internet to assign to your email address and that image will appear here with your user name (and on any other Gravatar-friendly sites you visit).
Other Info on Posting and Commenting
These two links can be very helpful and informative about posting at PlanetPOV and understanding our editorial practices on selecting front page articles:
If you have any other questions that aren’t answered in this page, please feel free to contact us at adm...@planetpov.com.