kesmarn On January - 3 - 2011

HEAR YE! HEAR  YE!

One year ago, on January 4, 2010, there was created here a Revolutionary Concept!

A special corner of the Planet was discovered — or we might say — created.

The corner known in some circles as TOOT! (Otherwise known as Time Out for Off Topic)

365 Days ago –  little did we know –  HISTORY was being made. BITOHISTORY, that is.

For it was none other than HE– Our Bito — who created the most successful conversational nook in the entire INTERTUBES!!

13,000 plus posts later, we gather here, lift our beer mugs high, and celebrate the man who gave us our own Planetary Pub, the Townhall of Togetherness … TOOT!

We thank you for the many laughs, the great links, the fabulous conversation starters, the pats on the back and the day to day support, tech assistance and graciousness you’ve faithfully supplied. CONGRATULATIONS, B’ITO!

Final note: DON’T YOU EVER GET SICK, AGAIN!!  (Please?)

Written by kesmarn

History major "back when," who recently retired from having been an RN for a bazillion years. Political junkie. Warren, Sanders and Reich fan. Happy to have been a Planeteer for more than five years now!

Can I just say, I feel like a dope not recognizing till now that we could nickname Time Out for OT, “TOOT”?

In any case, I love it!

2. PatsyT says:

Here is to another year of TO/OT and the
    ever ready knowledge, wit, wisdom and insight of our wonderful Bito!
    Carry on Bito! Our Nordic Champion!
    [img][/img]

• bito says:

Thank You Patsy, and what nice thoughts and tune to retire for the night to hear. Tomorrow is another day to pester everyone on The Planet.

3. whatsthatsound says:

Way to go, Bito!
    You rock!

Sorry I’m so late for the party folks, is there any champagne left or should I start on the dishes?

Lovely post kes, said everything to be said with tons of warmth, respect, and love, a joy to read.

Would someone take a look under the counter please, I can’t reach from over here. Need a glassful to congratulate our man bito again before I tackle the trash.

Cheers bito!

This deserves a fanfare.

One Bito is never enough! Congratulations and kudos to you, my friend! Thank you for all that you bring to The Planet! In tribute to the one year anniversary of your creation of Time Out for OT…

Time Out For Fun -- Devo

7. choicelady says:

TAH-DAH! Here’s to bito with thanks for this innovation, your creativity, your friendship, your presence. What is great about the Planet has much to do with you! We all thank you, and we ALL second kes’ sentiment -- don’t get sick again, please!!!!

Happy anniversary of a job beautifully and well done. Thank you!

8. Mightywoof says:

Here’s TOOT-ing for TOOT ……….. and the Bito Man -- you done good :)

9. Chernynkaya says:

Kes, what a lovely tribute to a great guy!

10. VegasBabe says:

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY PLANETPOV. Where has the time gone? Still happy to be a part of this great community and wishing for many, many more years with POV.

11. javaz says:

B’ito --

12. boomer1949 says:

To our dear bito, who has given a whole new meaning to TOOT!! Congrats again bito!!

13. bito says:

Thank You, k’es, Quite embarrassing. Everyone here owns TOOT, It was first posted like a blind squirrel finding an acorn.

14. Questinia says:

I didn’t know you were an RN kes. Boy, did you guys save my lily white neophyte ass a zillion times during internship!

TOOOOOOOT for bito and kes!!

Q, the way I got into RN-ing (which is how I support my addiction to politics and blogging) is actually kinda funny. (Regulars with more seniority here will please forgive me, as you’ve heard this story before… 😳 )

I was working in an office (because there are just so many jobs out there for people who majored in history, with Chinese thrown in). One of my office mates had always wanted to be a nurse, but there was an entrance exam to pass (at that time) and she had terrible test anxiety.

She asked me to take the test with her, because she — for some reason — thought that just having me beside her would help her to calm down enough to test successfully. So I agreed.

Long story short was that she still failed the test (so much for my tranquilizing effect), but I passed it. A couple weeks later I got a letter in the mail: “You have been admitted to blah blah blah… Full tuition scholarship blah blah blah…”

Now what do I do? Well, my job was boring, so I figured I didn’t have much to lose; I’d give it a shot. For a year or two.

Hah. Here I am… lo, these many years later.

Epilogue: my friend re-tested, passed, and (thanks to a friend of hers who had pull) was in the class with me. She turned out to be a fine nurse.

Talk about “impostor syndrome”!? I still have it in spades.

As for the interns and residents — how I love ’em. Every year they come in looking terrified, yet brilliant. And next thing you know they’re confident and still brilliant. It’s a transformation to behold.

• Questinia says:

Kes, what a great story! I have a similar one. I walk into a bar in a mini-skirt and stilettos looking like a complete hooker. The bouncer literally takes me by the hand, sits me down by a table asks me what I’m doing, I tell him, he says “Naw not good enough. You and I are both going to medical school”. Turns out he was a 4.0 student with a double major in abstract mathematics and computer science. I said OK. We studied together, took the MCAT’s. Both got in but attended different schools.

Twas the hooker look that got me cookin’ with medical books. I hooked for texts!

Actually I missed this the first time round. It answered one of my questions about how a History major became an RN. I must say I was scratching my head!

I have had an exceptionally weird life, Khirad. But I wouldn’t have traded it for anything.

And I’m hoping there’s more weirdness to come.

• bito says:

Without exaggeration, I owe my life to the dedication of RN’s!!

• Chernynkaya says:

My tribute to you, and all the nurses I have known and loved:

Thank you so much, Cher!

Loved the Nurse Jackie vid. If only there really were a burly guy, though, named “Thor” that we could summon when people get upset!