Marion On December - 14 - 2009

BEWARE OF GREEKS CAUSING RIFTS IN YOUR POLITICAL PARTY/MOVEMENT …

I’m on a mission. I’m utterly angered and repulsed that so many people on the Left are bamboozled by a phoney shill, who purports to be a Progressive.

People need to learn to think critically and investigate the background and modus operandi of every media talking head who puts forth an idea as fact. If you don’t, you just aren’t thinking. The saddest thing that can happen to a person is for his intellect to stultify.

There’s a particular media person who’s really getting up my tits at the moment. Just like I had George Bush pegged as the ineffectual frat boy that he turned out to be, I’ve had this one pegged for the last 28 years, ever since her rather ignominious departure from the United Kingdom after brazenly trying to appropriate a place amongst the serious British media intelligensia. (Don’t be fooled: the fact that Kirsty Wark – the most dipshitbrained political commentator and ‘pet Scot’ fo the BBC – interviewed her recently only served one purpose – Huffington’s stupidity made the equally vapid Wark look good).

I suppose our fathers and grandfathers, the so-called Greatest Generation, had to deal with Tokyo Rose and Axis Annie. Now we have to deal with the Greek Whoracle. I always thought, being the grandchild of three, that naturalised Americans came to this country to savour freedom. Instead the Whoracle came to enhance her brand and further her own interests, all the while criticising any and all Administrations which got in her way. I suppose Michael Huffington’s loss to Barbara Boxer in the Senate campaign and his subsequent ‘outing’ (and thus ending of the business arrangement that was her marriage) put paid to her ultimate ambition of becoming a First Lady with an ‘intellectual political salon.’

She’s weighing in on everything with no experience or expertise, shouting down people whose knowledge is better, and criticising everything our President does with no basis whatsoever. In her past two television appearances, she’s managed to shout down both Jane Mayer and John Podesta, both of whom have infinitely more experience in matters Afghan than she can ever hope to have. As she’s adamantly demanding President Obama reveal all his strategy behind his escalation of troops in Afghanistan, I’m absolutely gobsmacked at this assertion.

Lady, this is war. And in war, sometimes you have to keep your cards close to your chest – mostly, so assholes like you can hazard second-guessing. You show everyone your hand and your enemy has you by the short and curlies … or maybe that’s what you want? Maybe you’re the obvious spy, the dog in the manger, whose demands are so ridiculously silly that no one would ever think that you’re working for ‘the other side.’

Ah, but who is the other side? Well, we haven’t heard much from the teabaggers and the birthers lately, have we? But we’ve been hearing a lot of the Left’s base who’ve obviously been breathing in the toxic fumes of the Whoracle’s Koolaid. These are so-called rational people – well, I’m rational too; and I never believed the Damascene conversion the first time around when it happened to St Paul, and I’m sure as hell skeptical about someone who promoted Newt Gingrich as the saviour of America in the 1990s, blatantly and openly campaigned for Bill Clinton’s impeachment at the same time, supported John McCain in 2000, hurrah’d George Bush’s surge and voted him in a second time, enabled Ahhnold in his bid for governor after her own laughable ‘campaign’ tanked, and suddenly woke up the morning after the 2004 Election to ‘realise’ she’s a Progressive?

As the Brits would say, ‘Pull the other one. It’s got bleeding bells on.’

Like Rupert Murdoch, she runs with the hares and hunts with the hounds; and at the end of the day, it’s all about herself and her ego. That someone of the calibre of George Stephanopolous keeps giving her the kudos by allowing her to appear on his roundtable and spew her toxic venom and ignorance is a disappointment. Perhaps it’s something to do with the Greek connection. Well, Major Hasan’s a Virginian too, but I’m not about to land on the side of someone who opens fire on and kills 13 people.

Nope, the reason we haven’t heard from out teabagging friends on the Right is because their seemingly more intelligent counterparts on the Left, having drunk the Koolaid-flavoured retsina offered up by the Whoracle, are doing the job of debunking and discrediting President Obama for them.

Perhaps when President Palin ascends the Oval Office throne, there’ll be a place at her side for the Media Whoracle too. Two good ones together, and all enabled by the totally puerile and immature base of the left, throwing a massive hissy fit and not voting for a reasonable, rational, sensitive and intelligent man. We thought we’d done something right, only to be told by a media shill that we haven’t, and she’s telling us what to do about it.

Hello?

One great Progressive voice recently said, ‘Faith is the absence of critical thinking.’
But I wonder how long he will continue to be a ‘progressive voice?’

Just remember this: In the end, you get the government you deserve. Maybe y’all deserve Palin.

And in the meantime, read the bloggings of one Greek who’s not afraid to call out a Media Whoracle out for the phoney she is.

Categories: Huffington Post

1. Chernynkaya says:

Just FYI everyone, I got this from Huffy in my inbox this morning:

Hello!

My name is Stephanie, and I am one of the comment moderators at the Huffington Post. I

That’s the e-mail I heard about.

Cher, this communication from Huffy is very interesting. (Just got off duty for a while from taking care of my favorite 3d grader, with a virus, so I’m a bit late to the topic.)

Does anyone else think that Huffy may be more than a little aware of the increasing traffic on this site, and that this proposed “open thread” on HP is an attempt to win back the posters who have become fed up with the current state of affairs over there?

Methinks someone is feeling a bit threatened!

Do they think that people with functioning brains are going to be content to be relegated to some little corner while they go on with their mission of undermining Obama’s presidency unimpeded? Why would anyone want to funnel cash into Aryana’s bank account while being confined to the “kid’s table” at the dysfunctional family dinner?

• Chernynkaya says:

Isn’t it pretty to think so?

I don’t think so-- they have millions of posters, and I just think they want to regain a tighter control of the thread.

I think it’s a combination of things.

First, they want the justification to be more oppressive and delete more posts that don’t fit their agenda. Creating this Open Thread, whether or not some Mod may be earnest about it, will accomplish this.

Secondly, they are no doubt suffering a big turnover of readers and members who grow disgusted at what transpires there on the blogs. They may indeed feel that through stringent censorship, they can dial up or down the tenor of conversation that produces better numbers.

This is all about one thing in the end, HuffPo’s Hedge Companies and Arianna making the most money they can through the manipulation of Progressives.

AdLib, this reminds me of a question…and, believe me, you need not feel obliged to answer this! How do you feel about advertising on the Planet? Do you have a policy regarding that? Or would you rather keep it an ad-free zone?

• Chernynkaya says:

AdLib, are they really suffering from a turnover? I’m not doubting you-- just surprised and delighted. I read many of your comments on this thread,and I agree strongly-- It is important to call them out on this. I consider it a sort of mission.

Turnover and what is called Bounce Rate are issues for HuffPo in their quest to keep raising their quarterly earnings.

There are a set of users who are active bloggers, a set that are frequent visitors and readers but don’t blog and those who come occasionally to read an article or headline.

It is the last group which a blog like HuffPo wants to “capture” because for them, it is the only path for growth.

So they have a problem,the nastiness they’ve created has attracted and addicted a certain amount of people.

At the same time, those who just want news and thoughtful discussion are not prone to stay long.

How can they serve all these groups?

Create an Open Blog ghetto for members to go to have their hostilities and keep the regular blogs censored to reflect a more controlled conversation and message that matches their agenda.

Many people are upset by seeing people be hateful to each other, that and the growing realization, reflected here, at Daily Kos, etc., that HuffPo is a travesty is indeed driving more regulars away.

Is this about The Planet? Not solely but we are a reflection of the reality that members are indeed leaving HuffPo.

Pretty much covered it. As much as I see more than nefarious ulterior motives, it would be smart on their part. The ones going OT are generally regulars (myself included).

• nellie says:

I don’t see how they’re ever gong to attract people who just want to check in for the news — unless they’re checking in for the entertainment news.

Their news coverage is really poor — getting worse by the day.

• Chernynkaya says:

Fascinating, Ad Lib-- thank you. Just so interesting to me.

LOL As you said, the mere fact that they seem to have lost control is happy news in itself

OT: I really loved your article on Hannukah.
          When religion is bad, it’s really bad.
          But when it’s good, it is a total joy!

Your article was a joy.

• Chernynkaya says:

Thank you Kes!

I can’t remember who said this, but it speaks to me:

“Religion is for people who are afraid of hell. Spirituality is for people who’ve been there.”

As an aside-- Judaism has no concept of hell. But that’s still how I feel about it. :~)

Great quote. And no, the hell thing came from the east, with the Magi, metaphorically. 😉

Oh, yes, Cher! I feel the same way. And you don’t have to have experienced death to know what hell is! (I’ll leave further discussion of that to another day.)
              I treasure that quotation, as well as the marvelous Einstein one you included in the article. I vote for the school of thought that says that everything is miraculous.

• nellie says:

I’d love to know what moderation policy allows the n-word to stand in a comment thread for hours upon hours when thoughtful, inoffensive posts are scrubbed.

Example of HuffPo posts that will and won’t be wiped.

1. Obama is a (N-Word). -- NOT WIPED
        2. Hi. -- WIPED
        3. Progressives are (N-Word) lovers. -- NOT WIPED
        4. You are so kind, I love you. -- WIPED

You see, as a rationalization for purposely agitating Progressives to keep clicking and blogging and making HuffPo more money, HuffPo is apparently claiming that racism is on topic and treating other blogers with respect is not.

• TheRarestPatriot says:

Exactly Adlib.
          I have purposely sent posts with very Obama negative remarks that were posted, no worries. I also posted my interest in a less progressive thread as was wiped.
          Something has happened over there and it’s all encompassing. It’s like someone with a ton of money told AH to ramp up the fights, keep up the scrubbing and any article that involves naked girls/guys, slebs, or any other NON-news story runs on the front page ALL day..where stories of people losing their homes, lives, self worth, etc…slip past in 2 hours. They have endorsed the blank check over there…

Oak Invetments bought in with $25 million for a $50 million valued stake in HuffPo late last year.

The change clearly started them and as hedge funds will, they hammer their investment vehicles to produce increased returns each quarter.

It is the natural progression of such unprincipled greed that HuffPo would begin and continue a cycle of increased degradation and pandering/manipulation to increase traffic and thus ad revenues.

It can only get worse.

They are right about something, conflict does work to attract more people. How many folk slow down to look at a perfectly parked car as opposed to a terrible car accident.

However, if you prefer getting to work on time, using your life and time more productively and not being stuck in a nightmare of angry traffic, you’d prefer not to have to have to deal with such “accidents” on a daily basis.

• bitohistory says:

Quick search on Oak investments
              I didn’t get much. I wnt to go deeper on them.

b’ito, a quick glance at the companies they have a hand in sure leaves no doubt as to whether or not they have a vested interest in controlling the tone and content of the health care debate!

Thanks so much for posting the link.

• TheRarestPatriot says:

Holy moley….I just went and looked at what other investment ‘ventures’ this Oak was involved in. They got their finger in everybody’s pie, brother….

• bitohistory says:

From Oak Investments:
              HuffingtonPost.com

Huffington Post is a leading news website that has aggregated the best online sources through creative editorial and well respected bloggers. The site covers several content verticals including politics, entertainment, media, living green and business as well as an local news initiative starting initially with Chicago.

Which includes health insurance and health industry businesses.

And as a hedge fund, has skin in the game on opposing financial regulations.

On and on…

• bitohistory says:

TRP, and those are just the ones that are public knowledge.

To be generous, perhaps this is a Mod trying to convince the Admin over there to agree to this experiment.

There are myriad other possibilities but what this still sounds like to me is a kind of bloggers ghetto. No free expression anywhere else on HuffPo…and yet there will be censorship there too, especially of anyone who dares insult The Queen or the site.

And if they made this happen, it would only make them feel more righteous about being even more oppressive about wiping posts on every issue-oriented post, saying, “If you want to talk freely, you’ve got somewhere else to do it!”

And, what good is it to have an open thread to try and discuss issues where trolls will run wild and personal conflicts will abound? It will be a mosh pit that is still censored and freedom of expression on all other posts will be even more restricted.

I wouldn’t contribute to such a proposal, even if the Mod behind it is earnest. It will only further denigrate freedom throughout the site and in return, only provide a messed up and hypocritical Open Thread since censorship will continue there as well.

• Chernynkaya says:

I think they are actually flummoxed by the fact that the posters have taken over the main page thread every night. To scrub them would mean entire pages-- dozens-- gone. I honestly think they don’t know how to regain control. I like that.heheh.

I don’t think they care about finding a place for the people who do this, unless they can set up a page riddled with ads. They are just stumped.

• nellie says:

Not to mention that it sounds like a rip-off of Daily Kos.

• javaz says:

Let’s stop talking about her and her site.

We had the most wonderful dialogues here, and it’s time to stop talking about AH.

She’s no different than the MSM talking about Tiger Woods.

There are far more important things to discuss than AH.

• Chernynkaya says:

I hope that eventually, there will be nothing to talk about. But for now, Javez, I kinda feel I need to go there and fight. But notice how much less time I am there-- I’ve been here almost all day.

• escribacat says:

Huffington Post has a powerful impact on the progressive movement in this country and that impact has been increasingly destructive. I think it’s important to fight against them and do whatever we can to expose their agenda.

• PepeLepew says:

I’m kind of a believer that threads are like a living organism. They go in whatever direction they want to go in, and you should just sit back and enjoy the ride for the most part, and not try to exert total control over the content.

Oops!

Saying “Hello” and greeting friends is not allowed, sounds like a “chain gang” policy to me.

That is really quite funny considering the amount of on topic posts that have been and still are trashed there every day.

• Chernynkaya says:

No talking to your neighbor!
        Put your heads on your desks!
        Stand in line!

And for those of us in elementary school during the fifties:

DROP!

Very progressive, I’m sure. Quite ridiculous when many of us made friends with people we met there that have carried over into our private lives, they are simply nuts and don’t deserve the respect they are trying to attain for themselves. Many of us know the truth about them, it’s too little too late. The cat’s out of the bag and running up the street.

• bitohistory says:

Morning Kalima. I wish you a Good Morning.

Good afternoon bito, I’m all over the place trying to get ready for the horsepital, no not a spelling mistake. After all the poking and prodding, that’s what I feel like when I’m done.

Hope that things are alright with you. LOL, is this was Fluff and Stuff, we’d be pending without ending.

• escribacat says:

LOL. Would you like to share with the class what’s in that note?

2. Obama20082012 says:

What’s being Greek have to do with it? I am 50% Greek but 100% offended. Why does the media give Sarah Palin a place at the table? Why publish her ghost written op-ed peices? I am one progressive not disappointed in Obama. I am disappointed in Congress. And Markos from Daily Kos is not Greek he is Spanish, and who really cares? AH is in it for the money and it’s working. Maybe we should FORGET about her and move on.

• nellie says:

I think it’s a take on The Trojan Horse — “Beware of Greeks bearing gifts.” But your point is well taken.

Your point about using “Greek” to describe her negatively is well taken.

I would suggest though that most who have used that in their description of her, including me in the past and Marion in this case, are not intending it as a slam against all Greeks, just as those of us who described Bush using “Texan” in their negative descriptions were not condemning all Texans.

When describing AH, her being Greek and speaking with an accent is honestly one of the basic defining things about her to many.

So, though I agree with you that it is best to describe her without using her nationality as part of negative description, I don’t think any here have done so with any intention of insulting others of Greek heritage.

Also, I do think she and HuffPo definitely should continue to be a topic of discussion here due to their ongoing attempts to instill division and disrupt the Progressive agenda.

• Obama20082012 says:

Anything for money in her case. The hysteria over at HP is sad. Provoking headlines to get clicks and it works. Then the battle of the progs and the trolls starts. It’s actually getting boring and I find myself spending less time there. I also think that AH plays up her accent. She hasn’t lived in Greece in decades there is no reason it should still be that thick. She has flipped flopped on politics more than once, whatever gets her in the news. Actually I wish she wasn’t Greek, but she surely knows how to make money like one! :)

Well done, Marion! Welcome to The Planet, an auspicious debut here indeed!

One valuable service The Planet can provide, since a great deal of its population are bloggers with proven cred at HuffPo, is to continue to announce with legitimacy that “The Empress has no clothes”.

So many sites and MSM outlets and even Pres. Obama take on other media outlets such as Fox, CNN, ABC, WSJ, etc. but we are among the very few talking about the manipulation of the news and the Progressive community by The Huffington Post.

And I see HuffPo as potentially the most corrosive of the lot. At least if you hear a bullshit headline on Fox, you instantly file it under “to be verified” (or flushed away as items with similar properties are).

With HuffPo, many Progressives swallow the headlines and stories whole. A wolf in sheep’s clothing in the midst of a flock is far more dangerous than a wolf that approaches as itself.

So, though the personal conflicts between bloggers and battles with trolls over at HuffPo are not desired to be a topic of conversation here, exposing the dishonesty and agenda-driven corruption that has taken over HuffPo is desired here.

We can help get the truth out about this deceptive undermining of the Progressive agenda and we should do everything we can to accomplish that.

4. nellie says:

What a read, Marion! You really got me thinking differently about HP.

And thank you for the Daily Kos link. What is very cunning — if not brilliant — about the anti-Obama criticisms from HP are the endless comparisons to George Bush that exaggerate insignificant or overarching similarieis in order to achieve a weird sort of guilt by association. Relying on the invocation of Bush to condemn, rather than a complete analysis or discussion of the facts. There’s a lot of that going on, and it depends on a shallow reading of policy and a disingenuous evasion of a real conversation.

I like your comparison of Huffington to Murdoch — because HP is becoming a powerful political voice, whether we like it or not. Their editorial content is starting to appear in the Times, the Washington Post, and other legitimate outlets — which lends the site credibility.

I’m always reluctant to get into HP because it is, in my view, only an aggregation site. But you make some very persuasive arguments that we should take the enterprise more seriously. And be sure to challenge its deceptions.

P.S. Welcome to the Planet!

• Marion says:

Thank you. I’m a big fan of Bill Maher, and it dismays me that he’s one of her biggest ‘fans’. He’s an intelligent man, but lately, he’s buying into the Obama-is-like-Bush mantra. If he got away from her influence, Bill could go far as a pundit; but it’s too easy for him to be lazy and drink her koolaid. She masquerades also as an intellectual, with an MA from Cambridge. In the UK, at most universities, an MA is merely an upgrade from a BA degree, which you get by ‘paying’ for an upgraded diploma. Whoreanna buys success; she doesn’t achieve it. She is an intellectual lightweight. I guess Bill must have some self-esteem issues to be easily impressed by that one.

• bitohistory says:

Podesta and Center for American Progress like Shrub? What next Katrina vanden Huevel (The Nation) is a moderate? I.F., Izzy, Stone was just a reporter? Mother Jones once walked a picket line?

• nellie says:

What really irritates me about that comparison is that it softens the despicable tragedy that was the Bush Administration. NOTHING is like the Bush presidency. Nothing in history. Much less this administration.

It’s such a wrongheaded comparison to make. Always ticks me off.

• Chernynkaya says:

That reminds me--

I was watching the movie, “The General’s Daughter” on TeeVee a while ago and got a mild shock when I saw Katrina vanden Hueval in the movie, playing a CNN reporter. WTF?!

Brilliant.

6. Marion says:

P S … Thank you ALL for the warm welcome.

7. Marion says:

Let’s put the ‘itch’ into the phoney bitch. She’s really 62 and NOT 59, as she claims -- but hey, I’ll allow her a Jack Benny moment.

I just hate to see the fact that other people who should know better think she’s wonderful. I’m a big fan of Bill Maher’s, and I saw his show where he had Darryl Issa and Jack Kingston on with her. The two Repugs were all over Bill. He was genuinely gobsmacked and couldn’t reply. She came out as the later guest -- and he was expecting her to back up some of the arguments he couldn’t muster. Instead, she and Kingston went off on a tangent about something completely different, and Bill looked like the kid at the grown-ups’ table. To paraphrase HC, if I had a ‘friend’ like that, she wouldn’t be my friend anymore.

The British know ALL about her and her blatant attempts to bully her way into the serious British political media. I remember her online campaign to get Bill Clinton impeached and her ‘close personal’ friendship with Newt.

Well done, that is exactly how she has come across, especially since the start of the primaries last year. At first it seemed very subtle, then the blaring, intentional, troll inducing headlines started, I remember the number of times that goosebumps would appear on my arms.

While claiming to fully support the candidate Obama and quite blatantly allowing HC bashing, HP began to highlight stories that would discredit Obama. A perfect example was the length of time she pushed the Rev. Wright fiasco, much longer than most msm networks, but surely just as long as Faux news. The next was taking Obama’s comment about people “clinging to their bibles and guns” totally out of context before he was forced by media challenge to explain his words. After this and several more hair raising headlines, I remember feeling an emptiness in the pit of my stomach each time I logged in there. I stayed until the GE, until the President was sworn in and visited less and less for reasons ranging from scrubbing, endless moderation, trolls gone toxic, tabloid style headlines, unfounded criticism of the President and finally for the banning of old posters who tried to state facts where none were welcomed or said what was on their minds about the path down which HP was heading. I didn’t make a song and dance, I know it would never have seen the light of day, a bunch of us just drifted away and found another place to blog.

I never go there directly anymore, when I do, it’s because of favourite bloggers who have posted something new and this information lands via email in my inbox. AH is on this list, I have never bothered to take her off, I was happy to be rid of the place, it was dragging me down and sapping my energy. I check out her new posts with a growling deep in my chest, swear words forming on my lips and read her gradual descent into the person she is and has always been if we had been on guard at the times our hopes were overflowing for the election of a man who spoke of turning America around, of change.

Now I read only lies, assumptions mixed with blatant shit stirring from a bitter woman who jumped on the Progressive bandwagon as a way to infiltrate and in her mind, own the internet Progressive blog market, when it started to take off and rake in the lolly, AH woke up every morning, sporting $ signs in her eye sockets and we who cared, really cared, were left to rot by the wayside, trampled underfoot on her path to imagined glory.

9. PepeLepew says:

Great post!

Terrifying Photoshop job.

The Joe Lieberman headline today “over there” is just the latest …

10. bitohistory says:

Good post Marion. I think I got the drift of what you are trying to say. My only question is: Why are you so shy about saying how you really feel? :-)
    To quote Sue, “Wow, just Wow Marion”

11. Chernynkaya says:

Damn, Marion-- great post! I think you nailed it. I’ve been thinking much of the same myself after reading the incendiary headlines and the constant litany of complaints about every single thing Obama does on HP!

And it riles up the Left successfully. There are few stories written by HP staffers that EVER mention any positive actions by this Administration and no attempts to discuss what is POSSIBLE-- only what hasn’t been done. There are some guest bloggers who are sensible, but they are not read by a wide audience there.

For a long time, I saw HP as a Left-leaning site that would rally us, and even fairly criticize when Obama veered to the middle or the Right, but no longer. Now, I spend my time there trying to treason with some on the Left and to jeer those on the Right, and to try to interject some actual facts. It’s becoming a losing battle.

12. escribacat says:

Hey Marion. I am so glad you came! I read this on your blog. This is terrific stuff. Hang around, I think you’ll like it here. Nice picture too!

• Chernynkaya says:

Hiya, e’cat! I wrote to VP and got a sweet reply, and then I wrote a pretty long email but haven’t heard back. Have you? I am still concerned about her!

• escribacat says:

Cher, I am very happy to say we are in contact and just had another exchange this afternoon. I was really worried but feeling much better now. I am working on her to come over here and post her story. Thanks a lot … she told me she had received emails from several people including you and she really was surprised and so happy to get them.

13. Questinia says:

Plus she flirts shamelessly with Charlie Rose who seems to take the bait. Must be that Zsa Zsa Gabor type accent that has some untold effect on men to warrant multiple marriages. She is self-aggrandizing, and the best way to get the attention is to use false outrage and coquettishness.

Arianna is a middle-brow Maureen O’Dowd without the sense of humor (apologies to Mo)

Personally the only thing I allow to get my tits up is a fabulous satin bustier.

14. SueInCa says:

Wow, just Wow Marion. You so succinctly put in to words what I have been trying to formulate in my mind about the whoreacle. That site is so toxic now, I get irritated just looking at the headlines. I hope others get a clue. I still go there but bash the site in subtle ways in order not to be scrubbed.

Great piece.