bito On January - 4 - 2010

During the day, do you read a story and you feel it is worth sharing?  Where to place it? I don’t like to disrupt someone’s thread or thoughtful post and it is not worthy of posting a lengthy article, do you?  Let’s try to leave this up in speakers corner and we can share some news!

From the Afghan  Women’s Writing Project

Colorful Days after Black Nights”

I remember the Taliban were searching houses ten times a day with different groups to find a book, cassette, picture, TV, or video game. If they found any of these, they shot the whole family. After we returned home, my mom burned books that my older sister and brother had collected over many years. She burned most of the books in our mud-brick oven, then threw the rest away in sacks very far from the house so the Taliban would not know they were ours. My heart was broken and I was at a loss……

I wove carpets for four years and forgot everything about studying or getting an education. We were stuck at home, and never allowed to go outside. When the Taliban were removed from power in Afghanistan after almost five years, most of the schools eventually reopened. My siblings returned to school, but I did not, because I was so afraid of everyone, still thinking that Taliban were close.

Read More…..

Written by bito

Was once a handsome frog until kissed by an ugly corporate princess.----- Like a well honed knife, the internet can be a wonderful and useful tool. It can be used to prepare and serve a delicious meal or it can be used to cause harm. peace

1. bitohistory says:

Good day, lab and a warm welcome to the PlanetPOV. A home for the civil!

2. Emerald1943 says:

Some sad news today. Many of you, I’m sure, remember the terrible story about my friend’s mother who was brutally beaten in an attack in her own home. She had been in ICU in a coma since that time and on a ventilator.

I just received the news that she died late yesterday after my friend made the decision to discontinue the ventilator. There never was much hope of this 85 year old lady recovering from the skull fractures and other injuries. I do not have any news yet on the state of the investigation by the police, but I will post an update later as information becomes available.

I just want to thank all my friends here at the Planet who were kind enough to pray for this stranger. We are, after all, our brother’s keeper.

Em, I was just thinking of your friend’s mom the other day and wondering how she was doing. So sorry to hear this sad news. I feel for the family to have to make that very tough decision. But I guess they had to take into consideration what the quality of her life would be if she managed to pull through. Odds are, it would have not been what she would have wanted. Condolences to them, and thanks for keeping us informed.

I seem to have missed your visits over the last couple days. When I’m arriving, you’re about to call it a day and vice versa! Hope all is well with you!

• escribacat says:

Emerald, I am so sorry to read about your friend’s mother. What a terrible story. Heartbreaking. Who could harm a helpless little old lady? I just don’t get it.

• javaz says:

Oh, Em, I am so sorry.
      Please tell your friend that your friends from the PlanetPOV offer our sincerest of condolences and that she and her family are in our thoughts.
      Such sad news and such a horrible, needless tragedy.

• Emerald1943 says:

Thank you, javaz! I will certainly convey your thoughts to my friend. It has really been hard on her. She was the one who had to make the decision to “pull the plug” and I can tell you, she was agonized.

I plan to talk to her tonight and hope to be able to post an update about the police investigation. I just hope they get this animal who did this.

• boomer1949 says:

Em,

I am so sorry to hear such sad news. :-(

• SueInCa says:

Very sorry to hear that Em. Terrible things happen to good people in this world and there is just no rythme or reason. Please let your friend know she is in my thoughts as she goes through this sad time.

Now…………..I hope they get the buggers…maybe they will lock them away for good.

So sorry to hear that, Emerald, all my best thoughts to you, your friend and her family.

• Hopeington says:

Very sorry to hear that Emerald, my heart goes out to the family.

My condolences.

• bitohistory says:

That is really sad Em, I am so sorry for everyone concerned and close to her. Hope they catch the bugger. Takes a real man to beat an eight-five year old.

• Chernynkaya says:

Oh, Em-- that is indeed very sad news. How heartbreaking for your fiend and her family!

3. Emerald1943 says:

OT for sure…but I seem to notice that some of our best and brightest are missing. Has anyone seen Mogamboguru, peacekitten, or TheRarestPatriot?

4. SueInCa says:

This is so funny. I told my husband this morning, she would say “well all of them that have been put in front of me all these years, but especially Ronald Reagan, he was one of my favorite founding fathers”. I was not far off the mark………….

5. Emerald1943 says:

Things just go from bad to worse in Haiti. The airfield is out of fuel. Unless you have enough to take off and go somewhere else, you cannot land. US flights are being diverted at this point.

CNN is suggesting air drops of food, water and supplies, which makes more sense. The roads are in chaos with rubble everywhere.

• bitohistory says:

Day late on the food drop thing. They are trying to get enough helicopters equipped to do that very thing and where to do it.

• Emerald1943 says:

Hey bit! Thanks for the update. Maybe when our big ships get in they will have adequate fuel for just that. I’m sure they are carrying tons of it. Also, I just heard that our big hospital ship, the “Comfort” is heading in that direction…1,000 beds and 12 operating rooms.

6. bitohistory says:

Wow The Prez is PO’d at the banks. Just on MSNBC.

• Emerald1943 says:

He needs to be! Just following what the rest of the country is thinking right now! He also needs to be PO’d at a few more people, like the insurance industry and the “Clean Coal” people!

• SueInCa says:

I have always been stupified by the term “clean coal”. how the hell do you get clean coal from a black dusty piece of coal?

• Emerald1943 says:

Hey Sue…you don’t! There was a really funny ad on the boob tube about “clean coal” where the politician had a big black smudge on his nose. Wish I could remember…

I’ve got that CRS syndrome! Can’t Remember Sh*t!

Someone had the most brilliant comment at the other place, rationalizing why this is not mere fluff, or puerile schadenfreude; but, that so many people still see this as an example of someone fit to lead should continue to scare the sh*t out of us:

As Leonard J. Pitts Jr. said in his column today, “you need a GPS and a Sherpa to get through [her] winding utterances.”

If she is indeed God’s chosen; as she and her follower’s believe in providence and the Divine Plan, then we’ve got “bigger problems” than just her…

Please forgive me. I’ve been following the Haiti story pretty heavily and needed a break -- even though I’m full aware there will be no respite for them anytime soon.

• Tiger99 says:

I just watched the whole segment and most of the whole hour long interview… Beck compares Palin to George Washington and I personally think it is obvious that Fox is pushing her as a Candidate… I don’t believe they think she is best for this Country, I believe they think they can manipulate the news and coverage enough to make her look as though she didn’t want to run but she was chosen by the people and she had no choice but to answer the call… They are not even trying to hide it…

• Emerald1943 says:

I simply cannot look! “Fox News Analyst” my ass!

Oh my goodness, it was a theme?! Was this the context from which she pulled Washington out of? The woman who wasn’t clear about the war her son went to serve in?

You yourself get a medal for putting yourself through all that. My record for anything beck stands at about a dozen minutes. Maybe twenty if I were to exaggerate.

Edit. I watched this. Wow. So this is how they’re spinning her quitting? she pulled a Washington? The most honest thing either said was: “I don’t know”. And, that she seemed so uncomfortable by getting genyu-eyne about her faith was weird, too.

To hear her say the phrase “prostitute yourself” though? priceless. Also.

• bitohistory says:

bito: Khirad, whats you favorite color?
      Khirad: Well all of them. If you ddn’t have all of them, God couldn’t make a rainbow.
      B: and is there a pot of gold at the end?
      K: Isn’t that what the bible says?
      B: Where is this pot of gold?
      K: well, you can purchacse it at 1-800- God-gold, if you call right now! Or on George Washington’s farm and also too.

• Tiger99 says:

Is there a telepromter on the floor?

• Emerald1943 says:

Jeebus H. Christ!!! What a little twit!

Her favorite founders (all of them) “Led by George Washington”??? I didn’t know he signed the Declaration of Independence or had any input into the Constitution. Maybe I missed something in history class…I know for damned sure that she did! Chances are that she cannot name a single signer of those documents.

Personally I think Jefferson is always a safe answer, Hamilton for a conservative. I like Franklin for his wit, Hancock for his penmanship and flare, and as to secondary figures, Paine. Oh, and Sam Adams, thanks for your inspiration! Honestly, she just reached for what seemed like the easiest answer. Had she bothered to even watch the Adams miniseries she could have picked John for his religious conviction.

I watched it a few times, the body language and facial expressions on both is telling. The way she looks up then looks down, as if panicked, the hamster running furiously in the wheel. It’s most telling when it’s Beck who gives you the “oh my lord you really are an idiot” look.

• escribacat says:

I used to know this video filmmaker who later made a “documentary” about how we really didn’t go to to the moon. He later appeared on Glen Beck — it’s the first time I ever saw someone make Glen Beck look like the sane one in the conversation. This is the second.

• Emerald1943 says:

Khirad, just another thought. If SP is planning to make a run for the White House, I wonder who she is thinking of for the VP spot. I wish somebody would ask her. God help us all!

• Emerald1943 says:

Khirad, Jefferson would have definitely been my first choice with Sam Adams running a close second. This little twit, if she is even aware of either of them, just can’t think on her feet! That answer reminded me of the way she answered Katie about what newspapers she read…”all of ’em, any of them that have been put in front of me”!

I’m actually quite pleased that she signed the deal with Faux. She will have plenty of chances to hang herself before the primaries. I wonder how long she will hold the job…it’s hard, you know. And we know what she does when the job is too hard!

And how’s it play when it’s FAUX dishing out those ‘gotcha’ questions?!

Hannity is at least shrewd enough to lay out something, then say, ‘you’d agree with that Sarah, right?’

The rest are gonna have to write out answers and dialogue for her.

8. bitohistory says:

Good Morning all, What the hell is going on here? I miss a day and this little spot goes from 350 comments to 700 comments! And a Button?

Did you guys have a party here? Did you drink all the beer and spirits?
    People that put up a post are supposed to monitor their post, did any fistfights break out?

😆 😆 😆

• Tiger99 says:

Good Morning bito!!! A friend from Miami sent me this…
      Cold Iguanas Free-Fall From Trees

“It’s almost like they go totally to sleep. Generally speaking, if it warms up afterwards, they can recover,” said Ron Magill of Miami Metrozoo.
      “I knew of a gentleman who was collecting them off the street and throwing them in the back of his station wagon, and all of a sudden these things are coming alive, crawling on his back and almost caused a wreck,” Magill said.

• escribacat says:

I love iguanas. I was at a place in Mexico once called the “Cave of the Iguana.” It was a great sandy cliff crawling with giant iguanas. At the base was a little cave where the locals put offerings out for the iguanas — like a shrine.

• bitohistory says:

Morning, Tiger, I have mixed feelings about these critters. I don’t believe many of this species is indigenous to Florida. People buy them in pet shops, they tire of them and release them. Too many plants and animals have become costly problems for the state and pests, driving out the natural flora and fauna. The list is long, a few: Mallaluca,Australian pine, Brazilian pepper,hyacinth,lotus, Cuban anul,……

• Emerald1943 says:

Mornin’, Tiger!

I saw a clip on CNN of these things falling out of the trees. At least, the animals weren’t hurt and seem to recuperate when they warm up. But I have to admit something of the same problem…when it gets too cold, I fall out of my tree! :-) I’ve spent a lot of time lately “out of my tree”!

• Emerald1943 says:

Hi bit! I was wondering the same thing! I had to leave for a couple of days…home repairs, etc. When I came back, it looked like all hell had broken loose. But from what I can tell, there were no major meltdowns!

Glad to see you and everyone else here! I’ve missed you! :-)

• Tiger99 says:

Hellooooooooo Emerald…

Just how bad is it?
        I got a pre-declined credit card in the mail.

I ordered a burger at Wendy’s and the kid behind the counter asked, “Can you afford fries with that?”

CEO’s are now playing miniature golf.

If the bank returns your check marked “Insufficient Funds,” you call them and ask if they meant you or them.

Hot Wheels and Matchbox stocks are trading higher than GM.

McDonald’s is selling the 1/4-ouncer.

Parents in Beverly Hills fired their nannies and learned their children’s names.

A truckload of Americans was caught sneaking into Mexico.

Motel Six won’t leave the light on anymore.

The Mafia is laying off judges.

Exxon-Mobil laid off 25 Congressmen.

Congress says they are looking into this Bernard Madoff scandal.The guy who made $50 Billion disappear is being investigated by the people who made $1.5 Trillion disappear!

And, finally…

I was so depressed last week thinking about the economy, the war, U.S. job losses, my savings, Social Security, IRA’s that I called the Suicide Hotline. I reached a call center in Pakistan, and when I told them I was suicidal, they got all hyped up and asked if I could drive a truck!

9. javaz says:

Republican plan for winning back the house?
    Attack Democrats.
    That’s it.
    No solutions, no plans, no new ideas, just attack.
    They are releasing a “21st Century blueprint” similar to the “Contract for America”, which Republicans deem as a success.
    It’s going to be a very long and nasty ride.

10. javaz says:

Good morning.
    Had a thunderstorm late last night/early morning, but it rained for maybe 3 seconds.
    Better than nothing!
    It always amazes me when we get thunderstorms in winter.

I see Rush Limbaugh is still spreading his hate --

“”They’ll use this to burnish their, shall we say, credibility with the black community, in the light-skinned and black-skinned community in this country,” Limbaugh added. “It’s made to order for them. That’s why he could not wait to get out there. Could not wait to get out there.””

Republican hypocrites call on Reid to resign, yet refuse to chastise Rush for his racist comments.

• nellie says:

Rush is so obsessed with African Americans.

It really makes you wonder ….

KQuark summed it up perfectly. It is those that always spend a lot of time talking about race without stressing equality. Also, those who claim the “contrarian” by calling those for affirmative action and such as the “true racists”.

• javaz says:

Wonder what? If he’s really a racist and bigot, or if he’s spouting nonsense for attention?

One thing I’m rather impressed with, is that the majority of left-wing sites that I visit, only one has run 2 articles the last two days about Sarah and her debut with O’Reilly and then yesterday, her debut with Beck.
        I am hoping that the left ignores the woman because she’s not worth the time or effort to follow and quote every insipid word that comes out of her vapid head.
        She’s gotten more than enough attention and I hope that the left continues to ignore her.

I wish I could claim the same high road, but I found her discussing her favorite Founding Fathers irresistible and too delectable not to devour.

• Tiger99 says:

Good Morning javaz!!! I am working on my 2nd cup of coffee… Maybe after I make 3 I can deal with Rush…

11. boomer1949 says:

WTS,

No false invites allowed.

You’re either in or you’re not, and this isn’t open for debate.

Promise I’ll bring as many years of yearbooks you would like to peruse. Hang out, show me Tokyo, maybe even meet Kalima; however the GHS, Columbus, OH connection wins — hands down — and I should get extra credit for it. Who would have thunk it? Country, State, City, High School, Connection, Karma? Go figure and kind of “poofy scary” don’t you think?

• whatsthatsound says:

So, wait a minute. Are you really going to come to Tokyo? Like, soon? Well, then, sure! But I don’t know where I’ll put you. Tokyo homes are pretty small…

Kalima, what do you think? Can we spend some time with our fellow Planeteer, who wants to come all the way from cold and wintry Ohio to our illustrious capital?

Btw, boomer, how many yearbooks do you have? I’d have to think of the ones I’d want to see, the years that would let me see geeky pictures of my friends and neighbors, the girls I had crushes on, etc.

Well once upon a time in Tokyo, we used to have a cute guest room. Over the years it became our Junk Room. I’ve been trying for over 10 days to make some sense of the stuff up there. The room is freezing cold, sees no sun and at one point we removed the heater and then the A/C.

Just when I think I’m making some progress, it’s one step forward and two steps back.

Of course boomer is welcome to come to Tokyo but I won’t be doing any sightseeing or running about, haven’t been able to run for 23 years, maybe I might be able to hop or someone could give me a piggyback ride.

• boomer1949 says:

WTS,

Yo, what’s your real name from the States (oops, shhh, already know).

I’m certainly not booked on the next flight out for heaven’s sake. Half serious,have joking and no, i wouldn’t show up on your doorstep uninvited. So, and since I noted the panic in your “voice”.

Silly guy,,,

12. PatsyT says:

Say those are some cute new boxes over there!
    But where is the God Button?

• boomer1949 says:

PatsyT,

all of us have been asking the same question, but the God guy is very elusive (heavens to Betsy);

even to those of us who’ve been around the block a few (okay numerous) times. God prefers we (as a group) try to resolve our disagreements among ourselves.

However, it it often more productive to cut to the chase and let the “Big Guy” decide.

So “Big Guy” what say you?

Why? Why am I still awake?

13. boomer1949 says:

Cher,

Mr. Merlot and I suggest you check this out. Far better explanation, ’cause the God guy is brilliant:

any questions, AdLib has a direct line to the big G — just click on “Contact Us” and forge ahead.

14. SueInCa says:

Well good nite all, I will send up good thoughts for some relief for all Haitians tonight.