AdLib On January - 20 - 2010

It couldn’t be more humbling to be among all the amazing people who have joined this site. Together, we form a community that I think is pretty singular and remarkable. The depth of thought, the compassion, respect, genuine concern for others in the world around us and a better future, all are reflected at The Planet every day.

We are dedicated to constantly developing and growing The Planet and its features and 2010 will be no exception. Thanks to Nellie’s invaluable leadership, we kick off 2010 with ProjectPOV, the first of our projects as a citizen’s think tank. Also on our agenda is working together to create, sign, circulate and send letters and petitions to politicians, media outlets, etc. and merchandising to pool a portion of proceeds into a Donation Fund that can be voted by members to go to a specific candidate(s) or race(s).

We’re now coming to you, our membership, to help us keep The Planet spinning and growing via our first Fundraising and Membership drive. We know these times are difficult for many, we don’t expect any contributions from those who can’t afford it right now. If you can though, we’d really appreciate any amount you can offer to help us reach our goal.

Our Fundraising Drive:

Our fundraising goal is $500, this  will cover the expense of our web hosting for the year. You’ll find the Fundraising Widget at the bottom of this page and also in the right column on each page.  It is set up through PayPal so whether  you have an account there or not, it’s quick and easy.

How You Can Help With Our Membership Drive:

a. Post invitations to The Planet at other sites:

If you blog at another site and know members you could invite to PlanetPOV, please do. Brief invites are best, followed by the link to our site. At Huffington Post only, our URL is in their word filter so to avoid your invite going into moderation, you can use any of the following URLs (at all other sites you can use our regular URL – http://planetpov.com )

URLs for use at Huffington Post:

Please let us know if any of these URLs appear to be added to the word filter (your comment will go to moderation on open threads) and we’ll just create new ones to add here.

b. Cross-Post your articles on other sites

When you have an article you feel is strong, please feel free to post a portion of it (a teaser) at Huffington Post, DailyKos, Wonkette, etc and provide a link to the full article here. To do so at HuffPo, you will need to adjust the URL so it won’t go to moderation, just put a space between “planet” and “pov” and mention in your comment to remove the space.

c. Social Networking

If you’re a member at Facebook,  you can join our page ( http://www.facebook.com/pages/PlanetPOV/152219465752 ) and/or pass along our page to friends, family  or acquaintances if you think they may be interested. We are also at Twitter: http://twitter.com/PlanetPOVand at Digg (as PlanetPOV).

Also, and this is very easy, at the bottom of each article is a string of icons for Facebook, Twitter, Digg, etc. If you join or are already a member of these, by clicking on the icon you can add the article to your page or to the service. There is also an “Email This Post” link at the bottom of each article so if you want to email an article of yours or someone else’s, this is a quick and easy way to share with others.

A big thanks to all our members for all that you’ve already contributed, we appreciate whatever support you can offer to help us reach our goals with PlanetPOV’s Fundraising and Membership Drive.  For your convenience, donations can be made below:

[donation-can planetpovfundraiser2010w]

Categories: PlanetPOV

1. FlyingLotus says:

I definitely want to contribute $ but I only have a debit/check card.I’m sans a proper credit card for the foreseeable future.
    Is it safe to use paypal?If, not is there some other way?

I just recently joined Facebook and made the planet my first pick on my page.

Cheers

2. PepeLepew says:

My new hard drive has arrived and is sitting at the FedEx office waiting for me to pick up.

After I go get it, I promise I will donate. :)

3. nicole473 says:

Adlib, just wanted to let you know that I sent my donation via my son’s and my business PayPal account. Wouldn’t want you to think that I didn’t care. :)

4. VegasBabe says:

Ok Adlib, I made the facebook connection AND I made my donation and was only to glad to do it. This place we got going here is absolutely fantastic. You and Kquark, and K7 and Nell et.al., are to be applauded. Hope I am always welcome at the Planet and looking forward to one day writing my own article for submission (just don’t laugh when I do and SOMEBODY hold Kevin back from CORRECTING my engerlish pleeese) :)

Wow, I go away to sleep, and come back to find that we are more than halfway there.

Thank you SO much everyone for donating to keeping our wonderful Planet running full speed ahead.

6. SueInCa says:

Thanks to all who initiated this site and those who keep it running. Thanks to Nellie for her help with the pics, I still have not figured that one out yet. And thanks to all who post here, I learn alot from all of you day by day. I had some money in paypal that would have upped my contribution but I forgot my signon and password {{{{{{{{{frown}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Hey Sue! Thanks back to you for all your support and contributions here.

This is not meant to press, just an FYI, your signon at Paypal is always your email address, you can use their lost password function with it. If you’re not sure of which email address you used, try more than one.

I too learn so much from everyone here on a daily basis…maybe we should open part of the site as a Charter School for politics and blogging? 😉

• SueInCa says:

No worries, it is not much but every bit helps. I will try it and see what happens. Good luck to me. It does not appear they are planning to send it to me anytime soon since it has been sitting there for over a year LOL

7. javaz says:

WOO-HOO!
    Over halfway there and it’s still early in the day, plus from our experience with paypal, doesn’t it take a day or two to send?
    Maybe it’s because we don’t have credit cards but use debit.

At this rate, AdLib, your expectations may be surpassed!

This is the perfect time to thank AdLib, KQuark, Keven7, and Kalima for having the vision to create such a perfect site that is so very needed at this time.

It’s also a perfect time to thank Nellie, because she does do so much for all of us.
    Cheers to Nellie!

And I’ve just sent three more emails to old girlfriends from high school about this site, and they would hate me for saying they were “old”, but you know what I mean!

Very cool indeed!

FYI, the meter is updated when each contribution is made so that amount is up to date. To pass 50% of our target on Day One is fantastic!

Thank you for the kind words. I will add that Nellie’s part of The Planet’s Core team so all props about the site should always be shared with her, thanks for doing that!

The membership here rocks!

• AlphaBitch says:

I second that! Cheers to our founding mothers/fathers for this planet. And AdLib -- please pass on my thanks to God for giving us such talented posters and for making His/Her/Its Appearance here from time to time! THAT’S something I doubt “she who shall not be named” can never claim!

I’ve mentioned the site to friends; now will lean on them to “get on board” (there’s a train a-comin’).

Thanks AB for the props to the Core members and all your fellow members!

God thanks you too and in gratitude has saved you from receiving one traffic ticket you otherwise would have.

What a guy!

• KQuark says:

I call Jefferson first.

• AlphaBitch says:

Dang! You WOULD. Jefferson is The Blov’s key man. I choose….YOU! My bluegrass bud. And AdLib who speaks with the Big Guy. And Kalima, for her gentle loveliness. And K7 for his ability to present the other side with facts. These are the REAL founding fathers, in this our country’s second incarnation.

That was easy.

And relatively painless! 😀

PS I love the graphic.

Thanks so much for your generosity, kesmarn!

Guess it really was a good idea to remove the electric shock device from the “Donate” button.

That does seem to have opened up the floodgates of generosity…wonder why we didn’t think of it before….?

Well…you did suggest we wash the Anthrax off the button, I think that was a helpful suggestion.

I wonder if I should have worn a mask and gloves when I washed that button…cough…cough….shiver…

But--yes--you’re so right. It’s amazing how people will seize on the tiniest excuse--like electrocution or respiratory failure--to avoid donating. It baffles me.

Truly bewildering. As was that repeated request to remove the tripwire for the poison darts.

Haven’t people ever donated to a website before?

More proof that Americans have grown soft, coddled…

And what’s more--I’d wager that the ones who would have been darted, anthraxed or electrocuted in the process of donating would have had the gall to call their lawyers and sue.

Can’t people take a joke?

We need tort reform.

And, btw, that anthrax has only made me STRONGER.

9. TheRarestPatriot says:

I believe that freedom isn’t free. I choose not to spill my blood in the military for unjust causes. Freedom isn’t a place or a destination…it’s an ideal. A human right. I donate here because I support and trust the Admin here to protect, defend and encourage not only my freedom of speech and expression, but the ideals behind a kind and logical and unselfish future. Adlib, if I had more I would give more…right now I …well….you all know…
    Thank you for being here. This site is a rare jewel in the crown of reason, rational conversation and a bastion of profoundly educated, talented and compassionate members. All I ask is of this site is to never slide, sell-out or otherwise compromise the human ideals we as members set forth as this site’s ‘Founding Family’. We must not become like other sites and allow greed and chaos to rule the day.

PS~ I wonder if I myself could have a personal ‘Fundraiser’ online to facilitate my new, middle-aged life re-boot….(?)…~smirk~

• KQuark says:

Cheers and very well said.

Your contributions on the Planet are just as appreciated as your contributions to the Planet.

• BigDogMom says:

TRP, wish I could write eloquent as you, Adlib and others here…all I can do is draw gardens, not much good when it comes to blogging. 😕

BDM, you are totally awesome when it comes to blogging! Who was it who walked me through all the ins/outs/pros/cons of having a live, balled Christmas tree? Who tells us what it’s like to walk the dogs along the wintry New England seashore? And are you not the person who shares a laugh with her husband at bedtime, as you drift off? Those are word-pictures! Don’t stop sending ’em!

• bitohistory says:

BDM, don’t sell yourself short. We will be the judges of that.

Wow, remarkable comment, I am humbled indeed, thank you TRP! And thank you for your generous donation!

We share the same core principles, I think most here do too. With the onslaught of corruption, greed, hatred, etc. swirling on the web and in the world around us, it’s so affirming and fortifying to be part of a community with such thoughtful and principled people.

As to not becoming like other sites, being what we are is the only reason for The Planet to exist. To remove that would be like to remove gravity and allow everything and everyone of substance to float away.

This year, with such a strong community assembled, we move forward with deeds as well as words. There’s strength in numbers…and starting off with strong people makes our strength…even strengthier!

TRP, you are so eloquent. I had meant to say that when you submitted that earlier post on the dysfunctional relationship that Americans had with Dubya’s administration and how we’re still working through that. That was an amazing comment.

And--hey--I hear there are sites where you can do fundraising (I think one is even called “SendMeMoney” or something like). I haven’t checked them out personally, but I understand that you present your case and people are given the opportunity to donate to get you up and running. I know it sounds weird, but I kind of like the idea. Every “start up” needs backers, and this seems like a possibility.

😮

• TheRarestPatriot says:

Very kind of you to say, K. I looked at those sites and if you can believe it, most of them CHARGE a fee to post!
        Sort of like how a bank charges you more of what they know you have none of when you bounce a check….LOL~

Ouch! I should have known there’d be a catch!

I had a friend who wanted to declare bankruptcy, but couldn’t because--ironically--she didn’t have the money for the lawyer’s fee. She found a sort of dark humor in that… Sigh…

• boomer1949 says:

I’ve heard of those too, and as long as they don’t ask you to send them money before they send you money, it’s worth a try anyway. :-)

• boomer1949 says:

I’ve tried it already TRP and failed miserably; one of my friends gave me a swift kick in the behind though. Would that help? Please forgive, I’m just being a smart ass it’s all in jest. 😛

• TheRarestPatriot says:

No, I know you’re joking, boomer….
        I’ve had the ‘swift kick’ far more than I think I deserve in this life…LOL~ Yet, that’s just me whining, of course….
        I’m still very much in deep doo-doo….with time running out. I can find no legitimate (or even under the table work for that matter) anywhere….still.
        Yeesh!

10. javaz says:

Do prior donations after the New Year count in the drive?

And my husband and I are both hoping we’ll have another new member and author soon.
    My husband sent his post to a few friends with a link to the site, and one of his good friends emailed back and told him to write about something of great interest to him.
    He wrote the entire thing practically in the email, so my husband emailed him back and told him to join and explained how to post his article.
    We’re hoping, as his post would be an excellent topic for discussion!

They absolutely do! It’s a wonderful feeling to receive a donation from the blue and know that someone was just thinking about helping us.

Thank you so much for that, javaz and hubby!

And thanks to both of you for spreading the word, hope to see your husband’s friend here soon!

11. boomer1949 says:

Sheriff,

Count me in as soon as I bail my car out of the Mechanic’s Hospital this weekend. 😎

12. escribacat says:

Hey, God. You aren’t gonna make Adlib kill himself if he doesn’t get the $500 are you?

13. KevenSeven says:

$500 will be easy, we have plenty of enthusiastic members.

I really like making a point of cross posting at huff as a way to stick it to them. I’m pretty sure I have lead a dozen people here using that ploy.

See you on the sunny side!