How to Moderate Posts and Comments
Editors and Admins have the power to moderate discussions when necessary. None of us can be here 24/7 so we should all assist each other in reviewing the latest comments (and posts in Speakers’ Corner) to keep the conversations here from being dragged into the mud.
MOVING AN OFF TOPIC OR DISRUPTIVE COMMENT FROM A THREAD:
1. In your Dashboard, click on Posts and copy the ID number for the latest Open Thread post in the Speakers’ Corner category (or if there is not a recent one, create a new Open Thread post for that day and copy the ID #).
2. Click on Comments, locate the comment you want to move and click the Move link just below it.
3. In the pop up box, enter the ID number of the Open Thread post then click OK. You’re done!
TO DELETE ABUSIVE COMMENTS :
1. In your Dashboard, click on Comments. Either scroll down to find the comment or type the member’s name in the Search box in the upper right corner to find his comments.
2. When your pointer is over a comment, the options appear. If this is a personal attack or any other hateful comment, click Delete. If it is spam, click Spam.
TURNING ON MODERATION FOR A DISRUPTIVE MEMBER:
1. In your Dashboard, click Comments, type the Member’s name in the “Search Comments Box” and enter. Copy Member’s IP Address.
2. Click on Settings – Discussion then paste the Member’s IP Address into the Comment Moderation box.
3. Click on Users. Select the check box beside the Member’s name, use the “Change role to” pull down box to select “Subscriber”, click “Change”. That’s it!
APPROVING OR DISAPPROVING OF MODERATED COMMENTS
1. When a comment is awaiting moderation, you will see an alert, a red number in a red circle next to the “Comments” menu item (the number is the amount of comments awaiting moderation). Click on “Comments to go to that screen.
BANNING AS A LAST POSSIBLE OPTION
One exception is trolls. They are to be banned immediately. Their only purpose is to disrupt a site, spew hatred and goad others into joining them in the gutter. We’re better than that and so are our members. Only Admin are authorized to ban any member (even a troll) so if you see a troll on the site and no Admin is around, use the procedure above to Turn On Moderation for that troll and email Admins to delete that troll.