bito On December - 17 - 2010
Santa Klaus

Good ole Uncle Nick--Hic

Beyond the noise and confusion and elevator holiday music,  there are some that must be your favorites.  The ones that bring memories of joy, reverence, laughter and that crazy uncle getting heavily into the   eggnog–again!

Who didn’t learn this as a child?
Frosty The Snowman – Jimmy Durante Christmas

A little NOLA ?
Zat you, Santa Claus?

Ramones – Merry Christmas (I Don’t Want To Fight Tonight)

Christmas with cousins form the old country (I didn’t sound this good, believe me)

Oh Tannenbaum

Christmas – Santa Lucia Sweden

Oh, so many to choose…. Happy Holidays!!

Categories: Featured, Music Thread

Written by bito

Was once a handsome frog until kissed by an ugly corporate princess.----- Like a well honed knife, the internet can be a wonderful and useful tool. It can be used to prepare and serve a delicious meal or it can be used to cause harm. peace

For those who like the more somber carols (Cher, Khirad, me, et al), this is a lovely one:

2. BigDogMom says:

My mother used play this song over and over, from an old Christmas album we had, I finally found a CD of it after all these years…not big on the mega church thing, but they are a pretty good group

Children go where I send thee:

3. bito says:

This is for the Mitch (and his fellow R’s) that stole Christmas

Stink-Stank-Stunk

Apologies for re-posting this, but I think these boys are just having so much fun with their toys! I love it!

The next video I did last year.

Rhea’s Obsession with Athan Maroulis -- We Three Kings

6. BigDogMom says:

One of my favorites, Dominic the Donkey…

7. bito says:

Nothing like a wassail now and then. 😉

8. Chernynkaya says:

Random Acts of Culture! Flash mob surprises shoppers at mall food court: Hallelujah!

A friend sent this to me, Cher, and I was struck by what seemed like (to use the somewhat corny term) real Christmas spirit popping up in the unlikeliest of places — a shopping mall! And the delight on all the faces — including even little kids.

The other thing that hit me was: how did a smallish town in Canada produce so many outstanding voices? These guys are really good!

Then… when it’s all over with… they calmly resume their lunches… 😆

• Chernynkaya says:

I know, kes! Yet there is something so perfect about that music in that food court.I mean-- the height of consumerism and consumption, and then one of the most purely spiritual pieces right smack in the midst of it all. And at the end, you’d think they’d all just leave the mall, or something. But I have to believe it gave them a moment to pause and remember what it’s all about.

• bito says:

This is not just good but fun, Cher. A spirit lifter.

9. bito says:

Abaty Tyndyrn -- Cymru

Great, now I’m trying to figure out how I know that music.

Here’s another dark one, but English in theme, not Welsh.

Coventry Carol

• Mightywoof says:

You have totally picked my all time favourite carol, Khirad -- melancholia is my middle name 😀

The Sussex carol is a little more upbeat though (apologies if this has already been posted)

• Chernynkaya says:

Khirad, I think you and I are both attracted to the melancholy carols. Christmas for me is always more wistful than cheery. The story is uplifting, true, but also very sad.

William Wordsworth

Tintern Abbey

Therefore let the moon
      Shine on thee in thy solitary walk;
      And let the misty mountain-winds be free
      To blow against thee: and, in after years,
      When these wild ecstasies shall be matured
      Into a sober pleasure; when thy mind
      Shall be a mansion for all lovely forms,
      Thy memory be as a dwelling-place
      For all sweet sounds and harmonies; oh! then,
      If solitude, or fear, or pain, or grief,
      Should be thy portion, with what healing thoughts
      Of tender joy wilt thou remember me,
      And these my exhortations! Nor, perchance--
      If I should be where I no more can hear
      Thy voice, nor catch from thy wild eyes these gleams
      Of past existence--wilt thou then forget
      That on the banks of this delightful stream
      We stood together…

• Chernynkaya says:

Beautiful video, Bito and such ethereal music. That Abbey!

10. Chernynkaya says:

I have to play this every Christmas:
    Nat King Cole

The first Christmas song I learned. I remember singing it along with the car radio, and my father said to my mother, “I guess only little kids can understand what they’re singing.”

Alvin and the Chipmunks:

Cher, the Nat Cole “Christmas Song” IS Christamas to me, remember it from my childhood as so evocative (even though I didn’t know the word then), just as it is today to me.

And of course, I grew up with the Chipmunks too!

Ah, Christmas…

11. Chernynkaya says:

Satchmo and The Ramones! Can’t beat that.

Not as sweet as that St. Lucia thing, but…

13. javaz says:

Merry Christmas

14. Chernynkaya says:

I just watched this movie for the umpteenth time recently and this song is my favorite. It’s the wistful quality of it that appeals to me. This line is my favorite: “Until then, we’ll have to muddle through somehow.”

Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas