KQµårk 死神 On October - 30 - 2009

HuffNo FRIDAY!!!

HuffNo Friday 01

I know it’s early to start the party but I’m just too psyched about HuffNo so I can’t wait to get things going.  Now someone else can start a serious thread for HuffNo Friday if they want but I’m serious about my music.

I have a very eclectic taste in music. I love everything from classical to reggae to hip hop to bluegrass to opera to alternative you name it. It fits my personality because I tend to experience many different moods and music to me is all about satisfying our emotions. I tend to like music with an edge or a political conscience but like I say to anyone who asks me about my musical tastes I say “I only like good music”.

There probably is no art from that is more a matter of personal preference than music. We often cannot say why we like one piece of music and do not like another. Most likely because music touches the soul and some music reminds us of things that make us happy and things that make us sad, in a bad way.

For me music transcends spoken language as well. I love music with meaningful lyrics but for me to enjoy music I do not need hear lyrics or even to understand the lyrics to satisfy my love for certain songs.

Music more than any other art form is uniquely international. Music loses little in translation from one culture to another culture. America easily adopts musical styles from cultures all over the world. Furthermore, American culture spreads music all over the world as well and in many cases has been our best method of diplomacy. I love hearing Asian cultures for example adopt and hybridize American music forms like rock, the blues, ska and even hip hop.

Probably my favorite instrument of all time is the electric guitar having grown up in the 60’s and 70’s. While I love classic rock I still follow many current groups though I beleive the 00’s has been disappointing so far especially in terms of American music. I end up enjoying more and more international music for that reason. However one of my favorite rock albums was produced in the 00’s that really resonated with me not only musically but in theme as well because it truly was the best protest album of our time.

Green Day “American Idiot”

Green Day “Boulevard of Broken Dreams”

Green Day “Jesus of Suburbia”

Of course right wingers like O’Reilly and Limbaugh came out against Green Day’s album “American Idiot” because it was too truthful.

For Kalima.

dancekitten

Written by KQµårk 死神

My PlanetPOV contact is [email protected] Proud Dem whose favorite hobby is cat herding. The GOP is not a political party, it's a personality disorder. Cancer, Heart Failure and Bush Survivor.

1. nicole473 says:

One of my faves……Gladys Knight & The Pips “If I Were Your Woman”

2. KQuark says:

This is one of my favorite humorous songs. I should say the lyrics are pretty raw.

Well, now. Being as I am inclined towards the darker aesthetic, Halloween makes me giddy. It’s like my Christmas. I also agree on music. I go international (mostly Indian and Middle Eastern) and underground. I dig almost anything in a minor key, with accidentals galore or dark scale, or anything that actually tries to move me emotionally, not ersatz affections, or that makes me think, or is conducive to pensive solitude. And most of all, it should be unusual -- not radio friendly! Sorry about doin’ three (and a massive run-on sentence), but I’ve got a party tonight and don’t know when I’ll have a chance to get back.

Voltaire -- When You’re Evil

Mors Syphilitica -- My Virgin Widows

And, some good ol’ punk:

Action Pact -- Gothic Party Time

• KQuark says:

My wife and I are listening to the first song now and my wife called it “deliciously dark”. I have to agree very kewl.

We already have our thriller movies lined up for this Halloween to watch.

KQ that is hilarious, reminds me of my TIGER monster, thank you! 😆

I just rolled out of bed, see you when I start to wake up.

Hello everyone!

This one is dedicated to all the little trollies at HuffPo:

• KQuark says:

John Lennon, one of my favorite artists ever.

Now this is the trolls theme song.

• nicole473 says:

Love it! Hilarious!

We need the lyrics…

You can shine your shoes and wear a suit,
      You can comb your hair and look quite cute,
      You can hide your face behind a smile,
      One thing you can’t hide is when your crippled inside,
      You can wear a mask and paint you face,
      You can call youself a new race,
      You can Wear a coller and a tie,
      One thing you can’t hide is when your crippled inside,
      Well you know your cat has nine lives babe,
      Nine lives to it’s self,
      But you only got one and a dog’s life ain’t fun,
      Mamma take a look outside,
      You can go to church and sing a hymn,
      Judge me by the colour of my skin,
      You can live a lie untill you die,
      One thing you can’t hide is when you crippled inside.

6. Grabamop says:

I just went over to look around it seems there a lot fewer comments today!

7. KQuark says:

Most of the modern music I like is international music but I like a few new Americans bands and I love this song. It’s a good parody on cliches.

I’ll be back in a little while it’s din din time in the East.

8. KQuark says:

Testing something crossing my fingers.

9. BigDogMom says:

This is what gets me motivated in the mornings

Hey KQ! Great post and tunes and thanks for kicking off HuffNo Friday!

Here’s my animated comedy short about HuffPo I made a while back but for those who haven’t seen it yet, hope you enjoy it!

11. KQuark says:

A Reminder: Just to give everyone a techie tip embedding YouTube videos is very easy on the Planet. Cut and past the YouTube link and type a