KillgoreTrout On August - 31 - 2013

With the recent 50 year anniversary of Dr. Martin Luther King’s legendary “I Have A Dream” speech in Washington D.C. I thought it fitting that we should pay tribute to all the great black musicians that have contributed so much to the world of music. Their contributions were so remarkable, that several lasting genres were born. Be it gospel, blues,
rhythm and blues, jazz, soul or big band music.

Pick songs from your favorite black artists and genres. There are quite a few to choose from.

Louis Armstrong – When It’s Sleepy time Down South

Billie Holiday and Lester Young: Fine and Mellow

Mahalia Jackson MLK Washington March

In a Sentimental Mood – Duke Ellington and John Coltrane

Robert Johnson CrossRoads – Cross Road Blues

Categories: Music, Music Thread

Written by KillgoreTrout

Once a wander, working vagabond, fellow traveler on this 3rd stone from the sun. Hurtling through space and time. Lover of books (especially the classics), all kinds of books from novels, poetry, essay collections, fiction and nonfiction and a big Kurt Vonnegut fan. I am a secular humanist and technically an atheist.....Taoist.

1. Cassandra Wilson You Don’t Know What Love Is

One of my favorite lady jazz singers. There really is no one else like her.

2. Aretha Franklin -- Chain Of Fools

Can’t leave out the Queen of Soul!

3. Charlie Parker -- I Remember You

Gotta have some Bird on this thread too.

4. SallyT says:

Why, KT my Buddy, we must have some Miles Davis!

5. September -- Earth, Wind & Fire

6. Sabreen60 says:

I don’t know if Smokey has gotten the recognition that he deserves. I just know he wrote sooooo much music -- not only for himself and the Miracles, but for so many others. His ex-wife, Claudette said that he has about 200 songs that have never been published.

Smokey Robinson & The Miracles -- You Really Got A Hold On Me

7. Sabreen60 says:

Yusef Lateef -- Nubian Lady

8. Sabreen60 says:

Wes Montgomery -- A Day in the Life

9. foodchain says:

If they gave us no more than music, black people have earned a place that says they’ve contributed more than Monsanto, Dupont, and GE in $$ and enjoyment. (of course I haven’t run any numbers) Tina Turner, Otis Redding, I mean, really, where does one start?

So we sent our son back to China; these two songs he played two years ago on his way to the airport away from us:
    I think this Dawes kid (white) has captured something.

Daws/ “All My Failures”

Dawes/Daytrotter “My Way Back Home”

10. foodchain says:

Sorry, Nat King Cole introducing 11 yr old Billy Preston, “BlueBerry Hill”

and Billy Preston a few years later

11. foodchain says:

Kiglore Trout!! Fun to do and really great to here the picks. It’s so rich

A few to start:
    Nat King Cole and 11 yr old BIlly Preston singing “Blueberry Hill”!!!

Marvin Gaye: