KillgoreTrout On May - 4 - 2013

Maybe it’s me, maybe I’ve just been spending far too much time on the internet, but do people seem to be getting crazier by the week? Is that much cheese falling off of that many crackers? How many bends can people go around? Are there really that many happy meals missing french fries? Judging by the look of the GOP, the NRA and producers of rifles for children, I really think so.

So this weekend’s music thread is about crazy people, lunatics and just plain mayhem. Add your favorites or just sit back with a bottle of Zanax and enjoy.

First but not least–Pink Floyd-Brian Damage/Eclipse

Patsy Cline – Crazy

Imelda May – Mayhem

21st Century Schizoid Man – King Crimson

Categories: Music, Music Thread

Written by KillgoreTrout

Once a wander, working vagabond, fellow traveler on this 3rd stone from the sun. Hurtling through space and time. Lover of books (especially the classics), all kinds of books from novels, poetry, essay collections, fiction and nonfiction and a big Kurt Vonnegut fan. I am a secular humanist and technically an atheist.....Taoist.

1. Working Class Hero-John Lennon

2. PatsyT says:

They’ll be calling you a Radical .. a Liberal
    No they are not crazy, but at first the world thinks they are, then history proves them right
    The Logical Song -- Roger Hodgson

Live ….. this is really great…

In 1980, Roger Hodgson, co-founder of Supertramp, won the Ivor Novello Award from the British Academy of Composers and Songwriters for this song. The Logical Song was named the best song both musically and lyrically. It also has the distinction of becoming one of the most quoted lyrics in schools.

I have such a new respect for this song.

3. Van Morrison -- Till We Get The Healing Done

For you CL, my good friend!

4. Aerosmith -- Janie’s Got A Gun

5. choicelady says:

KT -- your musical knowledge is awesome, but this week’s selections are giving me hives! It was ALL offset by your throwaway comment about “has that much cheese fallen off the crackers” which made me laugh OUT LOUD which, given the topic, is pretty swell.

Thanks as always for sharing your love of music, your amazing ability to pick the right stuff, and for great comments. However, with all the anger and hostility here and in the world, I think I’m going to listen to Lawrence Welk and chill.

Too much insanity so I am opting -- today -- for inanity.

NOT without respect for your work, your insights, and your gifts to us all!

• Thank you very, very much CL. I understand your feelings. I usually like to keep things lite, but considering the sheer insanity of the NRA and the GOPers and the RW media, I just had to post some insanity. It’s not all dark. I just can’t believe how crazy our society has become.

Thank you again for your kind words. Sometimes inanity is a respite. I surely know that from experience.

Been Caught Stealing -- Jane’s Addiction

7. The Clash -- Rock the Casbah

8. The Doors: Peace Frog/Blue Sunday

9. Frank Zappa -- Trouble Every Day

The Trial -- Pink Floyd

Nice pick, KT, this was a big epic for Ralph Bakshi, of Fritz The Cat fame (and not coincidentally, a Lord of the Rings animated feature). It was very creative and ambitious for its time.

• Oh, I agree. My brother and I, who is 5 years older than me, went to the opening in Cleveland, of Bakshi’s Lord of the rings. A few decades before Peter Jackson made his epic film, with real life characters and scenes.

I saw Wizards a few years later, and really marveled at the prescience of his work. It holds true even today, decades later. There will always be a battle between good and evil.

• Can never go wrong with the Floyd. This is great, because I’ve heard this before. (at least I don’t remember) 😉

Excellent vid.

It’s from The Wall, the refrain came to mind from it, “Crazy toys in the attic I am crazy. Truly gone fishing. They must have taken my marbles away. Crazy toys in the attic he is crazy.”

I later learned that this was lifted verbatim from one of Ted Cruz’s student evaluations in college.

11. Dan Hicks and The Hot Licks -- Lonely Madman

Worldwide Suicide -- Pearl Jam

13. Joe Walsh -- Analog Man

Joe may be shoveling smoke with a pitchfork, but he does it oh so well.

14. Elton John -- Madman Across The Water