KillgoreTrout On April - 27 - 2013

This weekend’s music thread is about travel, by air, sea, or land. By plane train or automobile (or cars and trucks). It is about movement, getaways, sort of like Congress trying to get away from furloughed air traffic controllers and the unforeseen inconvenience of their travel plans. It’s amazing how a few stationary hours, sitting in a crowded plane on a hot tarmac can change ones views.

So, lets get moving, truckin or sailing or driving. Post your favorite songs about travel and moving ahead.

Golden Earring – Radar Love

Pink Floyd – Learning To Fly

The 5th Dimension – Up, Up and Away

The Byrds Eight Miles High

Imelda May – How High The Moon

Commander Cody And His Lost Planet Airmen – Hot Rod Lincoln

The Allman Brothers Band – Ramblin’ Man

Categories: Music, Music Thread

Written by KillgoreTrout

Once a wander, working vagabond, fellow traveler on this 3rd stone from the sun. Hurtling through space and time. Lover of books (especially the classics), all kinds of books from novels, poetry, essay collections, fiction and nonfiction and a big Kurt Vonnegut fan. I am a secular humanist and technically an atheist.....Taoist.

1. Arlo Guthrie “The Motorcycle Song”

2. SallyT says:

KT and Sherlock, and everybody else, I just watched an amazing film “Searching For Sugar Man”. It won the Academy Award this year for Best Documentary. If you haven’t seen it, you should. Especially you, KT. I know you will love it. Here is the titled song which I think might fit with today’s theme:

And here is the Academy Award being presented:

And here is the whole sound track:

Sherlock, you will like the film, has a lot of researching in action!

• Thanks Sally, I’d love to check it out. Did you happen to see this on Netflix?

• SallyT says:

KT, no I don’t think it is on Netflix yet. You can see the trailer on Amazon but I don’t think you can stream it from there either just yet. I got it from a different site I belong to out of Australia. They seem to get many before the others. There is a lot about it on the internet but don’t read it because it will spoil the mystery of the documentary. My husband really enjoyed it. That is why I am sure you will too because you are both music fans. If you want the other site I belong to, have AdLib to give you my email address and I will tell you.

3. The Doors Roadhouse Blues

4. Van Morrison -- Into The Mystic

5. SueInCa says:

Good Night KT. I am going back to creating with jump rings. I already made one bracelet…..

6. Jimmy Cliff -- Many Rivers To Cross

Stevie Wonder

10. SueInCa says:

Walk and Don’t Look Back
    Peter Tosh and Mick Jagger

Sittin On The Dock of the Bay
    Otis Redding

• Ah, great minds. I was just thinking of this song. One of my all time favorites. “I can’t do what 10 people tell me to do!” My favorite line.

This song is special to me, because of one day in high school when I decided to skip classes, and walked down to a small cement pier on the Ohio River. I had a little am/fm radio, and this song was played at least four times an hour. I was takin in the world around me and loving every minute.

• SueInCa says:

I remember when he was killed. My friend and I had just got home to her house and her mom had the radio on. I did not really know who he was so she played some of his songs. I then knew who he was. I also heard Peter Tosh for the first time at a SF Giants game. Some people were dancing after the game to I’m The Toughest and the melody just hit me dead on. I was too shy to ask them but about a month later we were at my brother’s house and he put a CD on, boom there was Peter Tosh. I went home with a copy of his cd that night.

• Peter Tosh was another great. The history behind Jamaican music is a real eye opener. These artists were part of a peace movement within the Island. These artists were true freedom fighters. And their weapons were musical instruments and poetry.

11. SueInCa says:

Running Like The Wind
    Marshall Tucker Band

Streets of Philadelphia
    Bruce Springsteen

Buffalo Soldier
    Bob Marley

“Stolen from Africa, brought to America”

12. Jerry Jeff Walker -- Pickup Truck Song

For AB

13. SueInCa says:

Oh my word KT, Commander Cody and his lost Planet Airmen? I have not thought of that album cover in over 40 years. Thanks so much for bringing it back.