AdLib On June - 16 - 2012

This Sunday is Father’s Day so this weekend’s music theme is about celebrating and remembering our fathers. Whether it’s a sentimental song, a playful song or just a song with “daddy” or “papa” in it, these songs go out to those who put us on their shoulders, picked us up when we fell down and inspired us to be strong.

Papa’s Got a Brand New Bag

Father and Son – Cat Stevens

Old Man – Neil Young

Come to Papa -Bob Seger

Daddy’s Little Girl – The Mills Brothers

Cats in the Cradle – Harry Chapin

Hello Muddah, Hello Fadda – Allan Sherman

1. In honor of my dad who recently passed.

His favorite show tune.

2. DFHredux says:

Keb’ Mo’

3. DFHredux says:

Dad’s ringtone on my phone:

4. funksands says:

[img]

Ray Charles -- Hallelujah I Love Her.

My dad is still alive, though we had a near miss a couple of weeks ago. This thread made me think of one of my favorite stories he told me as a kid.

My dad grew up in Rolla, MO (my mom too)and after high school he beat a path to St. Louis to find work to pay for college. My dad was the first in our family to ever go to college, let alone graduate. He worked in a succession of temporary blue-collar jobs.

One night he was walking back to his apartment through one of the traditionally black working-class neighborhoods, and passing a bar heard music blasting, with an overflow crowd spilling out of the joint.

He squeezed in to find Ray Charles banging away with a three-piece band in the corner.

Every head in the place turned to see a 6’6″ white country boy walk in, the only white face in the place….and then right back to what they were doing. My dad said that Ray played almost 90 minutes without pause. He said that on that night his music tastes completely changed, leading him to seek out BB King, Fats Domino, TBone Walker, then on to Miles Davis.

He’s said in recent years that it remains one of his dearest and clearest memories.

• SueInCa says:

Wow Funk how cool is that? We went to an all black church once and the same thing happened they looked at us and then just went back to their singing. They were all so welcoming after the service but we only went there for an Easter service with my sister whose husband was african american.

• funksands says:

Sue, I think people in general love sharing things that are beautiful and they are proud of.

Art, performance and community are some of the best things. Even better when they get delivered together.

• funksands says:

That was 1960. I guess Ray would have been 30.

• SueInCa says:

Funk
        That is a great story. Can you imagine? Walking down the street and being drawn in by a man’s voice?> Pretty incredible heady stuff.

• funksands says:

Sue, no kidding! Especially that one! I had a similar experience in Montana at a bar in the middle of snowstorm.

Me and a friend of mine, down to our last $40 bucks decided to walk down to the local Mexican restaurant and tie one on. When we got there, there was a guy at the door, asking for a $20 cover charge. We’re looking around at the foot of snow that’s already fallen and beg the guy to let us in, we’ll drink all night, promise!

So he lets us in, and we find out that the act that night is Donovan. Of course, being 20 we have no clue who Donovan is.

What’s funny is that because of the snow, there are only 5 people in the place, so Donovan comes over, sits down, beckons everyone around and starts playing requests! He fires off some Beatles (telling some great stories about them, and about how they ripped him off :-) ) some acoustic Zeppelin, and a bunch of old great blues numbers that I had never heard of.

What was awesome is that he drank with us, knew almost every song we requested and even bought a couple of rounds. What an amazing night….

5. SueInCa says:

Papa Don’t Preach
    Madonna

6. SueInCa says:

And just because I love the Four Tops

7. SueInCa says:

It’s So Hard To say Goodbye
    Boyz2Men

This song was played at my dad’s memorial

8. SueInCa says:

Color Him Father
    The Winstons

9. SueInCa says:

Johnny Cash & The Statler Brothers -- Daddy Sang Bass

10. SueInCa says:

When Bruce Springsteen got inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1999, his thoughts turned towards his father Douglas, who passed away earlier in the year. “I’ve got to thank him,” said Springsteen. “What would I conceivably have written about without him? Imagine that if everything had gone great between us, we would have had disaster. I would have written just happy songs . . . He never said much about my music, except that his favorite songs were the ones about him. And that was enough.” The greatest song about their complex relationship is 1980’s “Independence Day,” in which Springsteen admits that “we were just too much of the same kind.”

11. SueInCa says:

The Living Years
    Mike and the Mechanics

12. SueInCa says:

Leader of The Bank
    Dan Fogelberg

13. SueInCa says:

Loggins and Messina
    Your Mama Don’t Dance(And your daddy don’t rock and roll)

14. SueInCa says: