AdLib On May - 19 - 2012

There are songs that are great to dance to and songs that just make you feel good but the songs that really live on are those that have depth and mean something to you.

Whether it’s a song that’s connected to an event or period in your life, songs imbued with heartfelt emotion or songs about issues that matter, this week’s music thread is for songs that have meaning to you.

Apologies for listing some songs listed before but their resonance is the reason. Have to start off with one of my theme songs that served as a ringtone for me for quite some time too:

Won’t Back Down – Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

Pride and Joy – Stevie Ray Vaughan

What a Wonderful World – Joey Ramone

All You Need is Love – The Beatles

Time – Pink Floyd

Categories: Music Thread

1. AlphaBitch says:

Dedicated to all those who are Daddies, or who have or had a Daddy: Guy Clark and The Randall Knife. I’m lucky Guy grew up about 30 miles away from me; he is the soundtrack of my life, and let me be the founding mother of the Church of Guy. A truly remarkable songwriter, perhaps the best of all from Texas.

And another Guy Clark goodie, Stuff That Works: This one is my theme song, about stuff and friends and love.

And last but not least -- whimsical Guy and Homegrown Tomatoes (bad quality, but great song and one I sing each summer)

You know, there are a lot of terrible things about Texas, but then there’s Stevie Ray Vaughn, Guy Clark, Joe Ely, Townes Van Zandt, Stephen Bruton, Marcia Ball, Natalie Maines, the Robison boys and too many others to count. Wouldn’t trade it for the whole wide world!

2. foodchain says:

Songs for my children, near and far:

“If you follow every dream, you might get lost”, Neil Young, “The Artist”

Neil Young, “Comes a Time”

CBS, “Teach Your Children WEll”

Emmy Lou Harris, “Love and Happiness”

3. bito says:

Robin Gibb, Bee Gees Co-Founder, Dead at 62

Robin Gibb, one-third of the Bee Gees, died Sunday after a long battle with cancer, his spokesperson has confirmed via a statement. Gibb was 62 years old.

“The family of Robin Gibb, of the Bee Gees, announce with great sadness that Robin passed away today following his long battle with cancer and intestinal surgery,” reads the statement. “The family have asked that their privacy is respected at this very difficult time.”

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/robin-gibb-bee-gees-co-founder-dead-at-62-20120520#ixzz1vSJ2KHHx

4. SueInCa says:

From the movie Crossroads
    Steve Vai

5. SueInCa says:

Still Got the Blues
    Gary Moore

6. SueInCa says:

Cry to Me
    Solomon Burke

Sukiyaka
    Kyu Sakamoto

Whoever in the world of music decided this should be a hit tune to me hit the jackpot. I never would have paid attention had it not been played on KFRC in my younger days.

7. SueInCa says:

Be My Baby
    The Ronnettes from Dirty Dancing

These Arms of Mine
    Otis Redding

8. SueInCa says:

Girlfriend
    Patti Austin

In My Life
    Patti Austin

100 Ways
    James Ingram

Baby Come to Me
    Patti Austin and James Ingram

I saw them perform at a Jazz festival they were great together

9. Chet Baker--My Funny Valentine;

10. Charlie Parker--Lover Man;

11. The Allman Brothers--In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed;

I post this almost every week, it’s just so awesome.

• SueInCa says:

KT

This song brings back some great memories for me as do most of the songs you posted here. I love the music I grew up with and the diversity of choice we had. We went from classical to country western in our house. My parents loved their music and we were all exposed to so many different genres it was fun.

12. Bob Dylan--Lay Lady Lay;