AdLib On May - 12 - 2012

Name a band or singer and most people can name off their hits but hearing a “new” song from them from a deep track can be a real delight. This weekend’s theme is about sharing lesser known songs by well known artists, it could be old or a new song that hasn’t gotten airplay. Who knows what gem you might share or discover?

This first one is not actually a deep track but a rare demo by John Lennon:

India – John Lennon

Running Man’s Bible – Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

Hot Dog – Led Zeppelin

Live Life – The Kinks

Saint Tropez – Pink Floyd

What I Do – Steely Dan

Your turn now to introduce others to your favorite under-appreciated songs from well known performers!

Categories: Music Thread

Bach meets Bluegrass Banjo. Bela Fleck — who doesn’t really get going until about 1:40. But when he does…

• AlphaBitch says:

Did I tell you that I went to a New Years party at his house once? Yeppers. True dat. I was staring in the window, watching some of the most amazing folks in all of Nashville, and thinking how lucky I was to be there, when I tripped UP the stairs. Fortunately, no one noticed and I recovered nicely. Bela is one of the nicest guys in the world -- good friends with some of my dearest ones.

Now here’s one for you -- Bach’s Brandenburg Concerto #3 by the Punch Brothers (Chris Thiele). Gets going around 1:28. Love Chris and Gabe!

You may have the crown, but I gots the goods on this one……

2. Emerson Lake and Palmer--From The Beginning;

East meets West in an explosion of beauty — thanks to Stephen Foster.
    Yo-Yo Ma and James Taylor: “Hard Times Come Again No More”

and “Simple Gifts” with Allison Krauss and Yo-Yo Ma

4. bito says:

Maybe not exactly a deep track-kinda, sorta- but I just learned that Stax bassist, Donald “Duck” Dunn passed away.
    R.I.P. Donald.

Grab This Thing(Part-2) by The Mar-Keys on 1965 Stax 45.

Stax 45 rpm record that is rarely heard on current digital audio formats or broadcasts

Legendary Bassist Donald ‘Duck’ Dunn Passes Away At Age 70

5. DFHredux says:

BTO -- Blue Collar

6. DFHredux says:

The Allman Brothers cover The Band.

RIP Levon Helm

7. zenith1959 says:

An early album purchase

8. Ricki Lee Jones--Last Chance Texaco;

This one gets me, every time.

9. The Stones--Dead Flowers;