AdLib On May - 5 - 2012

This week’s music thread is simply about songs by your favorite guitarists and songs with famous guitar riffs. So strum those six strings and play some of your faves…playing behind your head or with your teeth is optional.

Couldn’t Stand the Weather – Stevie Ray Vaughan

Going to California – Led Zeppelin

Money For Nothing – Dire Straits

Voodoo Child – Jimi Hendrix

Sympathy for the Devil – Rolling Stones

Categories: Music Thread

1. AlphaBitch says:

OK -- the master of the dobro, Senor Jerry Douglas (or as I call him -MISTAH Dudleth). Hope you enjoy it.

And the best of acoustic -- Richard Thompson with the 1952 Vincent Black Lightening.

2. LFer says:

Gary Moore -- Still Got The Blues

Arguably the greatest guitarist, a magician with the guitar, Django Reinhardt:

Limehouse Blues -- Django Reinhardt

• Ad, did you ever see Woody Allan’s film “Sweet and Lowdown”? Sean Penn plays Emmett Ray, a very good jazz guitarist in the 30s. (real life character) I guess that Emmett was so intimidated by Django, he would faint at the sight of him. I guess that’s a true story. Emmett was real character in life. He loved trains, and loved to go to junk yards and shoot rats. Of course his favorite thing was playing guitar. Very good movie, if you haven’t seen it already. Penn did a really good job.

Yes, I think it is a wonderful film! Emmet Ray is a fictional character though, the film presents him as a real person but it’s part of the storytelling.

Penn did do a great job and so did the actress who played the mute, she was amazing as was their relationship.

A real “sleeper” (pun intended) of a movie, one of his best that few have seen but I’m not surprised that you have, you know your films!

4. Eric Clapton -- Crossroads Guitar Festival 2007--Jeff Beck;

This amazing bass player is Tal Wilknefeld. Simply amazing.

5. The bearded boys From Texas;

6. Johnny Winter -- Mississippi Blues;

7. Ten Years After -- Slow Blues In’ C;

8. Kenney Rankin--Blackbird;

9. SueInCa says:

Adlib

I just saw Sympathy for the Devil in your post. I love that song. We saw them at PacBell Park a few years ago. It was possibly the best concert I have ever been to. I have gone to a lot of concerts but they are spectular. before I went to the concert I was not a big fan. I am now. They were so high energy and we had perfect seats. It rained all day but the clouds cleared right above the park for the whole concert.

Very cool, Sue!

I’ve seen the Stones a number of times, my favorite time was the first time, many years ago on the grass at a stadium (before promoters ended open stadium seating for legal and financial reasons), 20 feet from the stage during their Some Girls tour and it was incredible.

I’ve seen a number of bands in their later years, The Who, The Eagles, Steely Dan, etc., most are unfortunately a bit diminished by their years (understandably) but the Stones still give it all they’ve got. The only other band from the rock era I’d put in that category is Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. They still burn up the stage like they’re in they’re prime and their energy is amazing too. If you get a chance, see them next time around too, I guarantee that you’ll be glad you did!

• I would HAVE to include Neil Young in that list. I’ve seen him live, on two separate occasions. The last time I saw him, he was 62 years old, and that old man wore me out. By the time I ready to go home, he was still rocking his ass off. Tremendous energy.

• SueInCa says:

Adlib

Journey did not have all the original members in their reiteration of the band either but there is that familiarity with their music so you can always find a lead singer who will come close. So seeing these groups with revised members is just a turn of time. Look how many groups Eric Clapton was with:

Derek and The Dominoes
        Cream
        Blind Faith
        Yardbirds
        Delaney and Bonnie and Friends

I will have to watch for Tom Petty. I love him with the Traveling Wilbury’s.

Just to name a few, oh John Mayall as well.

10. Steely Dan--Reeling In The Years;

11. Derrick and the Dominoes--Layla;

Manitas de Plata -- Sangre Flamenco

Manitas de Plata -- Por el camino de Ronda

Marija Temo plays Asturias (classical guitar solo)

13. Allman Brothers Band -- Blue Sky;